22 replies to this topic

#1 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 29 February 2016 - 10:41 AM

Why not? They can use the same dispersal pattern as an Artillery Strike and have a different indicator (what are those little red flashy lights on the ground?).

Be a nice passive chokepoint deterrent.

Also:
Thunder LRMs

#2 Rhaythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 10:46 AM

I vote no, because trollololo. And people will trollolo with them. We just really don't need this bit in MWO.

#3 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 29 February 2016 - 10:48 AM

Inferno missiles need to be a thing too....

#4 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 10:50 AM

View PostBarantor, on 29 February 2016 - 10:48 AM, said:

Toasty.

#5 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 10:50 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 29 February 2016 - 10:46 AM, said:

I vote no, because trollololo. And people will trollolo with them. We just really don't need this bit in MWO.

How would one troll with these that they don't already troll with the current two consumables (Arty and Air)? With the FF damage/kill penalty coming up, you'll have to be very careful and communicate with your team.

View PostBarantor, on 29 February 2016 - 10:48 AM, said:

Ammo switching needs to be a thing.... Posted Image

#6 Suko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 29 February 2016 - 10:52 AM

I do think this would be a sweet addition to the game. But in MWO fashion, would it have friendly fire too? I don't want it to, but even if it did, the mine area could be shown on the HUD of ally mechs.

#7 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 10:53 AM

View Postcdlord, on 29 February 2016 - 10:50 AM, said:

How would one troll with these that they don't already troll with the current two consumables (Arty and Air)? With the FF damage/kill penalty coming up, you'll have to be very careful and communicate with your team.

Give me a couple friends, a few spiders and/or locusts with ECM, and all the mine consumeables, and we can show you. One blitzkrieg is all we would need. Right through the enemy assault lance.

I just don't see this as a dynamic that MWO needs. I'll have to disagree with you on this.

#8 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 29 February 2016 - 10:54 AM

Dear Lord NO.

This game is already plagued by cowards and campers.

You give these people mines and they'll just drop them in front of themselves, and then spend the match waiting for someone to walk over them.

Edited by Appogee, 29 February 2016 - 10:54 AM.

#9 AlphaToaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 29 February 2016 - 10:56 AM

View Postcdlord, on 29 February 2016 - 10:50 AM, said:

Back during BF2, the Engineer used to have mines they could drop down. On friend-fire enabled servers, there would be a very noticeable Skull and Crossbones Icon over the mines, green I recall, for friendly mines.

So trolls, would load up an APC as a squad leader, so his team respawns on him, then drive over friendly land mines. BOOM. 6 friendly team kills along with a system generated 24hour ban from the server. 3 kills is 15min ban, then it would increase based on the number of people killed. Since it was 6 at once, was usually a 24 to 36 hour ban from that server.

I suspect with Mines in MWO it would be the same thing. It's not that the person laying the mines would be the troll, he can do everything needed to communicate where they are, and I suspect there would be some kind of team friendly warning icon over it, but then the trolls will just intentionally walk over it if they know it means the person will get some kind of punishment for it.

#10 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,926 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 11:15 AM

i dont see it being too trollish. especially if everyone is limited to a single mine. this would be an area effect weapon (about equivalent to arty) and should not be totally lethal to a fresh mech. perhaps a little direct damage to the legs of the mech that set it off.

#11 His Holiness Pope Buster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 261 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 11:16 AM

Maybe it would be an interesting way to use unit coffers for CW.

#12 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 11:40 AM

No more consumables.

If you want mines, then ask for a mountable piece of equipment that requires crits and tonnage. Massless sizeless magic damage is not, has never been, and will never be, a good idea. Modules as implemented are already silly, since they don't require tonnage, and consumables are the worst of the lot. I wouldn't mind seeing all of them just disappear.

#13 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 11:43 AM

View PostWrathOfDeadguy, on 29 February 2016 - 11:40 AM, said:

No more consumables.

If you want mines, then ask for a mountable piece of equipment that requires crits and tonnage. Massless sizeless magic damage is not, has never been, and will never be, a good idea. Modules as implemented are already silly, since they don't require tonnage, and consumables are the worst of the lot. I wouldn't mind seeing all of them just disappear.

I feel you, I do. But I highly doubt they are going away so here are some more options. It's not like you'd get more module slots to equip them and they'd follow the same rules as the others (there can be only one! type...).

#14 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 11:47 AM

Something for single player game. that i can't wait to founder!

#15 SovietArmada

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 261 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 11:48 AM

Haha I just thought an organized 12 man lay down their consumable mines in CW, some clueless pugs storm in and get all their legs blown off.

#16 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 11:50 AM

View PostSovietArmada, on 29 February 2016 - 11:48 AM, said:

Haha I just thought an organized 12 man lay down their consumable mines in CW, some clueless pugs storm in and get all their legs blown off.

Though this does happen now sometimes too.... Ever been on the receiving end of a team doing "leg training"? NEVER skip leg day...

#17 Chuck Jager

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:01 PM

I like and use consumables, but let's be honest it hurts the newer players who still need to learn to target.

Of course this is the point of CW to always switch sides so the newer players hit the defend button and drop with their newly purchased stock mech and some trials. If they have a job to do let them eat mines too.

#18 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:09 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 29 February 2016 - 11:15 AM, said:

i dont see it being too trollish. especially if everyone is limited to a single mine. this would be an area effect weapon (about equivalent to arty) and should not be totally lethal to a fresh mech. perhaps a little direct damage to the legs of the mech that set it off.

The bigger issue is that you can't stack arty ... there are time windows preventing deployment of more than one arty. Mines on the other hand could be a different story. Could they place more than one mine in a location? Could a series of mines be deployed to block forward movement? Would a mine field be removed once activated? Would friendly fire apply to a minefield? How easily visible would mines be? Would they require tonnage and ammo or would they be implemented as a single use module? How long does it take a minefield to go live after deployment?

The server would need to keep track of these persistent additions to the terrain and that information would need to be propagated in a timely fashion to all clients.

None of this is impossible but it might be more work than it is worth for the small development team that PGI has available.

#19 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:13 PM

View PostMawai, on 29 February 2016 - 12:09 PM, said:

The bigger issue is that you can't stack arty ... there are time windows preventing deployment of more than one arty. Mines on the other hand could be a different story. Could they place more than one mine in a location? Could a series of mines be deployed to block forward movement? Would a mine field be removed once activated? Would friendly fire apply to a minefield? How easily visible would mines be? Would they require tonnage and ammo or would they be implemented as a single use module? How long does it take a minefield to go live after deployment?

The server would need to keep track of these persistent additions to the terrain and that information would need to be propagated in a timely fashion to all clients.

None of this is impossible but it might be more work than it is worth for the small development team that PGI has available.

Some ideas here. Mines can't stack, just like the others. ~2 seconds after a mech enters it explodes (possible catching more mechs) and then the whole field disappears.

Maybe only one field per map grid or within a radius set by the size of a map grid? Those are acceptable.

#20 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:35 PM

View PostSovietArmada, on 29 February 2016 - 11:48 AM, said:

In all fairness though, when it’s two competitive teams working against each other, they very well could use mines to block off an opening, or to create obstacles to slow the enemy down. I think they could be very strategic items.

Effective HUD icons are important when there’s mines on the ground. They are marked with little explodey icons (kind of like planetside 2). For friendlies though, it’s marked with an icon and very obvious circles around them (kind of like around the mechs when spectating in a private match)
Mines would have about 5HP each. So raking a laser across them wouldn’t explode them right away.

A foot has to step ON them before they explode. They aren’t proxy mines, and we should never have proxy mines because then that would result in the case that you have.
I think if the mines actually require a foot to depress them, we would be surprised by how ineffective they would be. But when used abundantly in one area, it would be very dangerous.

I like the idea of mines.

The problem of course would be incorporating the right size of model, HUD elements, damage, and mechanics. And of course, how many mines you have. I think 3 would be good. They dispense every 10m. the first one dispenses right away, and when you start walking, the next one will dispense, and then another.

5-10 damage would be decent, again, depending on spacing and size of the collision box of the actual mine. If it’s a rare occurrence, 10 damage to the leg would be alright. Especially if the HUD elements make it very clear that the mine is there.

The tricky thing though – FRIENDLY FIRE! Who gets penalized for what? If a team mate runs over a mine that is clearly indicated on his HUD that it’s there… That should not be your fault. But it could be because you put it there… lol
Touchy subject, but that’s why I think team mates shouldn’t be able to set them off. Makes it kinda hokey, but that would be the best decision for mines. Maybe something like an auto-disabling feature when the presence of a friendly mech gets close enough, and then re-arms when the mech is far enough away.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users