66 replies to this topic

#21 Scarlet Tempest

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 111 posts
  • LocationThule System

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:32 PM

The truth is most developers don't like steam but it is a necessary evil. They take 30% of your profits in return you get some extra player base but reality is games that get on steam find themselves being just another water droplet in an over-saturated market. Not every company wants to focus on steam if they know they aren't going to get much attention from being on steam.

That being Said. Those who are going to play on steam are going to be those this game really isn't that much catered too in the first place. This is a Battletech game meant for Battletech fans. The prices are what they are because the average age of those of us who play is quite higher than other MMOG. I got a good feeling most of those who complain a bout the prices being too high or that they wanted it on steam are probably under the age of 30 and henceforth not the quite same demographic that this game is catered too.

Not every game is for every body just like not every product is right for every store. This game is only on Steam merely to appease a small group of people who are very adamant that they will only play games if it is on steam. I doubt the profits from steam would merit much special attention because as those previous point out. Steam is a discount storefront and this game isn't a discount game. This is a Premium game, the one and only Premium battletech game. :)

TL:DR ; You're right PGI doesn't care about Steam because this game is catered to a specific audience which has a higher average income than the average steam user and so it doesn't make much sense to put the time in for such little return.

#22 GRiPSViGiL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:56 PM

View PostScarlet Tempest, on 27 February 2016 - 01:32 PM, said:

This is a Premium game, the one and only Premium battletech game. Posted Image

Hardly premium. It lacks the hooks and features Premium games have.

#23 DeadEye COTP

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 02:28 PM

View PostScarlet Tempest, on 27 February 2016 - 01:32 PM, said:

The truth is most developers don't like steam but it is a necessary evil. They take 30% of your profits in return you get some extra player base but reality is games that get on steam find themselves being just another water droplet in an over-saturated market. Not every company wants to focus on steam if they know they aren't going to get much attention from being on steam.

That being Said. Those who are going to play on steam are going to be those this game really isn't that much catered too in the first place. This is a Battletech game meant for Battletech fans. The prices are what they are because the average age of those of us who play is quite higher than other MMOG. I got a good feeling most of those who complain a bout the prices being too high or that they wanted it on steam are probably under the age of 30 and henceforth not the quite same demographic that this game is catered too.

Not every game is for every body just like not every product is right for every store. This game is only on Steam merely to appease a small group of people who are very adamant that they will only play games if it is on steam. I doubt the profits from steam would merit much special attention because as those previous point out. Steam is a discount storefront and this game isn't a discount game. This is a Premium game, the one and only Premium battletech game. Posted Image

TL:DR ; You're right PGI doesn't care about Steam because this game is catered to a specific audience which has a higher average income than the average steam user and so it doesn't make much sense to put the time in for such little return.

That's some of the most nonsensical conjecture I've read on this forum in a long time.

They take profits from developers just like any retailer does from an actual store, not many games have ever had the luxury of selling without a 3rd party involved. Any game also has the potential to create a massive fan base surrounding them if they use the Steam platform correctly.

"Battletech game for battletech fans" is another ridiculous idea that some of the minority here have engraved in their minds. Most gamers these days will play a game if it offers fun, replayability, and a reasonable cost structure which allows access to the features of the game itself. MWO gets stagnant for a lot of people because the maps are few, and they play almost the exact same way every single time you launch. I'm 30, was never really into BT all that much but I do enjoy games that require some thought and skill to play.

Steam is not a 'discount' storefront, it's far from to be quite honest. The amount of 60-100$ titles pushed through Steam monthly is staggering. This isn't even including the DLC that gets tacked on to most of them. Many people who use Steam will have thousands of dollars invested into their game libraries.

This idea you have that MWO is some unique 'better than thou' community where everyone is making a 6 figure salary is mind boggling, as if age translates into disposable income. Not only that, you are once again under the assumption without reasonable facts to back your statements that people that play MWO have a higher average income than people who use Steam as a platform. I'm not really sure how this actually makes sense in your head, but somehow it does apparently.

You obviously haven't played or even done a shred of research for games like CSGO or DOTA where people are literally walking around with thousands of dollars of 'skins' that do nothing for the game play and is simply a show of their social status. Much more than will ever be spent by a single person who plays this game, and they are much more common there than they are here.

If PGI learned to market correctly, interact with their fans, and give people what they want instead of penny pinching for every single aspect of the game, they would have done incredibly well on Steam and pulled in a lot more players. There are a few simple aspects of the game that directly compound the reason that this game isn't as popular as it should be:

-You need to master 3 mechs of a single type to be on a 'competitive level'.
*Then required to spend more on modules than the mech itself to get on the level of most people you will meet starting as a brand new player, not to mention the time investment for the GXP.
-You are charged for storing your imaginary robots in a mech bay, which means players can't experiment as much as they'd like to without PGI reaching in to their pockets.
-You have little to no customization options without shelling out a good amount for generic cosmetics.
-There is no 'testing' for mechs or builds you actually want, you are forced to pay into said mech and hope for the best, otherwise use one of the terribly created trial mechs PGI has slapped into the game.

It has nothing to do with people, and everything to do with PGI. You are so far off on your entire thought process it's stunning.

#24 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:08 PM

View PostDeadEye COTP, on 27 February 2016 - 02:28 PM, said:

That's some of the most nonsensical conjecture I've read on this forum in a long time.

They take profits from developers just like any retailer does from an actual store, not many games have ever had the luxury of selling without a 3rd party involved. Any game also has the potential to create a massive fan base surrounding them if they use the Steam platform correctly.

"Battletech game for battletech fans" is another ridiculous idea that some of the minority here have engraved in their minds. Most gamers these days will play a game if it offers fun, replayability, and a reasonable cost structure which allows access to the features of the game itself. MWO gets stagnant for a lot of people because the maps are few, and they play almost the exact same way every single time you launch. I'm 30, was never really into BT all that much but I do enjoy games that require some thought and skill to play.

Steam is not a 'discount' storefront, it's far from to be quite honest. The amount of 60-100$ titles pushed through Steam monthly is staggering. This isn't even including the DLC that gets tacked on to most of them. Many people who use Steam will have thousands of dollars invested into their game libraries.

This idea you have that MWO is some unique 'better than thou' community where everyone is making a 6 figure salary is mind boggling, as if age translates into disposable income. Not only that, you are once again under the assumption without reasonable facts to back your statements that people that play MWO have a higher average income than people who use Steam as a platform. I'm not really sure how this actually makes sense in your head, but somehow it does apparently.

You obviously haven't played or even done a shred of research for games like CSGO or DOTA where people are literally walking around with thousands of dollars of 'skins' that do nothing for the game play and is simply a show of their social status. Much more than will ever be spent by a single person who plays this game, and they are much more common there than they are here.

If PGI learned to market correctly, interact with their fans, and give people what they want instead of penny pinching for every single aspect of the game, they would have done incredibly well on Steam and pulled in a lot more players. There are a few simple aspects of the game that directly compound the reason that this game isn't as popular as it should be:

*Then required to spend more on modules than the mech itself to get on the level of most people you will meet starting as a brand new player, not to mention the time investment for the GXP.
-You are charged for storing your imaginary robots in a mech bay, which means players can't experiment as much as they'd like to without PGI reaching in to their pockets.
-You have little to no customization options without shelling out a good amount for generic cosmetics.
-There is no 'testing' for mechs or builds you actually want, you are forced to pay into said mech and hope for the best, otherwise use one of the terribly created trial mechs PGI has slapped into the game.

It has nothing to do with people, and everything to do with PGI. You are so far off on your entire thought process it's stunning.

Some good points for sure. The last points/complaints are off though. The problem is this game doesn't have enough content.

DOTA is a Valve game. Backed by Steam..... CSGO is trash and not worth even a second thought.

Could MechWarrior be doing better? Easily. For some odd reason it is being low balled for lack of a better word.

- One NPC in the entire game of very low quality and charisma.
- There is another 10 obvious points what this game is missing which I couldn't be bothered to list.

Its like MechWarrior Online signed the rights away to making an awesome game.

Star Citizen pilots can walk around the hangar as its first feature yet after years Mechwarriors cant check out their Mechs in first person....

500$ gold mechs and a player can only see it in the inventory screen(Mechlab) or its rear end on the field....

See now I'm just randomly complaining. :)

Edited by Johnny Z, 27 February 2016 - 03:17 PM.

#25 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:27 PM

Well one problem is the old wholesale, Jobber price and retail price

The game makers take this into consideration

That means the game developer has to charge more to make up for the cut steam gets

The problem with PGI is they already had their prices set they really needed to raise prices
To compensate for the cut steam gets right?

So PGI has to sell at a loss to have their game on steam or raise prices in everyone that means taking the chance of alienating players they already have

The best solution would be to save all these game changes/modifiers get your new engine and come out with
MWO 2 with a new price structure that takes steam into account

Just my thoughts I could be wrong

#26 KahnWongFuChung

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:49 PM

The problem with PGI is they already had their prices set they really needed to raise prices
To compensate for the cut steam gets right?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry pal but with prices any higher this game would fold in a month. The prices are 50% or more to high already for a game like this that is in fact a Minimal Viable Product that is not progressing. The content as in game modes and maps would have made a big difference in MWO'S stale gameplay.

Plus only now is PGI thinking about Social or competitive game play after 3 years that we should have had up front I'm personally trying to hang on trying not to uninstall MWO after 3 years and just say goodbye out of pure boredom.

Edited by KahnWongFuChung, 27 February 2016 - 03:50 PM.

#27 dervishx5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:52 PM

Just wait until they start charging for early access to maps.

#28 Johnny Gorbachev

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:11 PM

It has been said time and time again that PGI only focuses on whales, they don't care if their playerbase dies, they don't care about anything else. As long as mechpacks sell, they are going to keep focusing only on mechpacks until people stop buying them, then they will close MWO servers and say "it was a good run, thanks whales for the ever lasting support".

No win of the day for cbills, no price friendly starter pack, atrocious cbill gains, balance not taken seriously, etcetcetc. The system is just there to filter out the non whales since PGI doesn't care about them, and to test their wallet resistance.

Edited by Johnny Gorbachev, 27 February 2016 - 05:12 PM.

#29 SplashDown

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 399 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:26 PM

To the OP i have to disagree...if the game is built wrong players wont stay long....this has been an online gamers truth for 30 years.

#30 Mad Strike

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLima , Peru

Posted 27 February 2016 - 07:03 PM

Same dumb topic from allways , only changed the "launch" part for "steam launch".

Personally , i'm having fun and that's all people cares.

No fun , no game , don't play.

Edited by Mad Strike, 27 February 2016 - 07:05 PM.

#31 Johnny Gorbachev

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 07:52 PM

View PostDeadEye COTP, on 27 February 2016 - 02:28 PM, said:

This pretty much sums up why no new players will actually play this game. Oh cool I can customize my robot! Oh what I cant do it on trial robots? Guess I'll use my cadet bonus to get a mech. Oh what? 1 million to upgrade heatsinks? 1 mill for ferro? 5 mill for engines? Haven't even started scraping the cbills for modules and mastery yet. 0 mill for uninstall.

"steep learning curve and niche market" is everyone's scapegoat here when it comes to playerbase issues, when in reality this game is just a slight variation of Warthunder/ WoT with lazers instead of tank shells and taller tanks with an arguably worse business model of the three.

Edited by Johnny Gorbachev, 27 February 2016 - 07:57 PM.

#32 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,341 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 27 February 2016 - 08:32 PM

View PostRobot Kenshiro, on 27 February 2016 - 10:07 AM, said:

Heavy gear is possibly still a competitor

https://www.heavygear.com/ just for those who didnt know. Its the esports pgi wants mwo to be.

Aww how cute, you think mektek can deliver still.

#33 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 27 February 2016 - 08:52 PM

Maybeh the game isnt just the cat's pyjamas..

#34 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:18 PM

View Postdervishx5, on 27 February 2016 - 03:52 PM, said:

Just wait until they start charging for early access to maps.

A lot of games, even the old school in store boxed games call those expansions. Why would it be bad if they did charge early access?

#35 dervishx5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:19 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 27 February 2016 - 09:18 PM, said:

A lot of games, even the old school in store boxed games call those expansions. Why would it be bad if they did charge early access?

Splits the playerbase.

#36 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:21 PM

View Postdervishx5, on 27 February 2016 - 09:19 PM, said:

Splits the playerbase.

Cant argue with that. But on principle it isn't a bad thing as I see it.

Like I hinted at above. They are not worried about growing the player base. If they were, they would have done a couple things differently and players would at have at least floating heads to walk around with in the mechbay by now. This would put the mechs in scale, allow players out of the cockpit and inventory screen and add immersion.

Players have an inventory screen, and TDM and a 1/3 done, over a year old, galactic war for entertainment at the moment....

There is a large % of players just trolling in game trying to make players quit to top it all off.

Edited by Johnny Z, 27 February 2016 - 09:26 PM.

#37 Sorbic

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:13 PM

View PostJohnny Gorbachev, on 27 February 2016 - 05:11 PM, said:

It has been said time and time again that PGI only focuses on whales, they don't care if their playerbase dies, they don't care about anything else. As long as mechpacks sell, they are going to keep focusing only on mechpacks until people stop buying them, then they will close MWO servers and say "it was a good run, thanks whales for the ever lasting support".

No win of the day for cbills, no price friendly starter pack, atrocious cbill gains, balance not taken seriously, etcetcetc. The system is just there to filter out the non whales since PGI doesn't care about them, and to test their wallet resistance.

Yeah, well people often say dumb stuff time and time again. Just look at most of our presidential candidates or the above quote...

Edited by Sorbic, 27 February 2016 - 10:16 PM.

#38 Johnny Gorbachev

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:18 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 27 February 2016 - 09:18 PM, said:

May aswell start charging for forum access aswell, or start charging per alpha, 20 MC to use all your god damn lasers at once, otherwise you need to chain.

#39 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 28 February 2016 - 05:07 AM

View PostLegendaryArticuno, on 27 February 2016 - 12:43 PM, said:

A lot of people here just don't get it...

First impressions are everything, you don't get a 2nd STEAM launch.

Whats past is prologue.

View PostYakkSlapper, on 27 February 2016 - 01:10 PM, said:

so i reiterate, "its steam" who cares.

MECHWARRIOR is not, and will NEVER BE 'mainstream' it always has, and always will be a 'niche game', one of the biggest and longest lived ever, but still a niche game,

*cough* Sorry to burst your ideal world there, but when companies like Microsoft touch and OWN the rights to Mechwarrior and LEASE it to PGI its mainstream.

#40 YakkSlapper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 175 posts
  • Locationoregon city

Posted 28 February 2016 - 04:57 PM

View Postrolly, on 28 February 2016 - 05:07 AM, said:

Whats past is prologue.

*cough* Sorry to burst your ideal world there, but when companies like Microsoft touch and OWN the rights to Mechwarrior and LEASE it to PGI its mainstream.

lol sure sure, did you forget? NS only wants ONE thing, to be in
EVERY room of your house in every way possible, remember when crap-box came out? never mind how many 'computer games' they had, they wanted to rule consoles as well so sold jerk-box at a loss, JUST so they'd have another outlet in your home, they don't care how popular a game is, only IF they can make $$ in anyway or add to there 'control', they already had major 'controll' of the computer world, so they said "fk it, close down gaming zone and concentrate on micro transactions through consoles"

so, 'my world' isn't burst, your faulty reasoning is burst,

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users