53 replies to this topic

#21 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 28 February 2016 - 07:14 AM

The "Love Handles" and the lack of a scissor joint legs/kness is what bothers me the most.

The way they did Missile Racks is also a bit .... well bluntly put stupid.

#22 Sorbic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 07:19 AM

I never really paid a lot of attention to how flat the back is and now I can't unsee it. Thanks a lot jerks! :)

My biggest gripe has been that you could remove the missile boxes altogether and ruin the look..

#23 Reza Malin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 617 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 February 2016 - 08:22 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 27 February 2016 - 06:06 PM, said:

On the one hand, they'll demand that the next Star Wars game should be faithful to the Star Wars aesthetic, and they'll demand hyper realistic graphics and they'll complain if the vehicles don't look exactly like they do in the movies, and they'll talk about light saber hilts and what kind of variants should be included....
... but when they finally get to play the game, they'll play a Sith lord wearing a chicken costume, called DarthBoobies69 and use the disco dance emote after every kill.

This.

In all honesty, i also find this entire thread astoundingly boring.

I mean come on. People discussing how a made up robot in a video game, doesn't look like another made up robot from a tired old board game? They are not even major points. In fact, those "proposed" LRM launchers look absolutely terrible.

Couldn't think of anything more pointless. Especially when there are other things that the developers could be getting on with like progressing the actual game and trying to improve it tangibly.

Instead, some people think its reasonable to make whole threads about what the LRM launchers look like, or whether arms are square or cyclindrical. When it makes no difference, and only hardcore BattleTech nutjobs would even notice.

My opinion of course.

#24 M T

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationGouda, South Holland

Posted 28 February 2016 - 08:35 AM

Agreed the most iconic mech looks like crap and a bad
Artistic job.

#25 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 28 February 2016 - 09:28 AM

View PostFade Akira, on 28 February 2016 - 08:22 AM, said:

This.

In all honesty, i also find this entire thread astoundingly boring.

I mean come on. People discussing how a made up robot in a video game, doesn't look like another made up robot from a tired old board game? They are not even major points. In fact, those "proposed" LRM launchers look absolutely terrible.

Couldn't think of anything more pointless. Especially when there are other things that the developers could be getting on with like progressing the actual game and trying to improve it tangibly.

Instead, some people think its reasonable to make whole threads about what the LRM launchers look like, or whether arms are square or cyclindrical. When it makes no difference, and only hardcore BattleTech nutjobs would even notice.

My opinion of course.

Woah we got a salt freighter here.

Don't worry dude...
We are the same guys who complain and give feedback on more crucial matters too.

example:
http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__5045840

#26 Reza Malin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 617 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 February 2016 - 09:35 AM

View PostNavid A1, on 28 February 2016 - 09:28 AM, said:

Woah we got a salt freighter here.

Don't worry dude...
We are the same guys who complain and give feedback on more crucial matters too.

example:
http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__5045840

Oh crap sorry my mistake, didn't realise you were such a great bunch of guys, ha ha. Great crack at parties no doubt!

Movement code in a video game..... *whistles*.........how will you ever match that achievement? Maybe you can completely cure cancer for us next?

Lol, brilliant. That certainly told me. Its not salt mate, salt is a word the kids use when they talk to other kids. Its more incredulity at such a waste of time as this thread.

#27 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,341 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:10 AM

View PostFade Akira, on 28 February 2016 - 09:35 AM, said:

Oh crap sorry my mistake, didn't realise you were such a great bunch of guys, ha ha. Great crack at parties no doubt!

Movement code in a video game..... *whistles*.........how will you ever match that achievement? Maybe you can completely cure cancer for us next?

Lol, brilliant. That certainly told me. Its not salt mate, salt is a word the kids use when they talk to other kids. Its more incredulity at such a waste of time as this thread.

Such salt, much butthurt.

#28 ILikePeaches

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:13 AM

Wait a minute, how can you call someone salty who isn't complaining while you are the ones with very goofy, nitpicky complaints? Salty much?

#29 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:17 AM

The people who most use the term "salty" are the ones who least know how to use it.

Kind of funny, actually.

#30 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,341 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:21 AM

View PostILikePeaches, on 28 February 2016 - 10:13 AM, said:

Wait a minute, how can you call someone salty who isn't complaining while you are the ones with very goofy, nitpicky complaints? Salty much?

Asthetics are just as important as game design, level design, balance, ect.

If, at a distance, you cannot identify a given mech, the game has failed at one of the fundamental aspects of Battletech. Many mechwarriors [and players by extension] through every iteration of the game, have relied on utilizing a mech's profile and visual apperance to identify and assess the threat of said mech. It's even more important when the enemy is under ECM.

At the same time, having the mechs be visually interesting is important too, to quote a game design theory I once heard. "You should have as much fun being shot by the enemy, as you do shooting the enemy, enemy's should be visually interesting."

You're also dealing what Iconic symbols of the game's roots. Like it or not, this game is rooted in Battletech, as such, the iconic look and feel of the battlemechs and omnimechs is important.

#31 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:25 AM

Being able to quickly profile objects in a game is actually a fundamental part of game design. Valve had a presentation on this; the TF2 character all deliberately have such distinct silhouettes to make them easy to identify on the field even if you are colorblind or far away.

That said, the TBR is not hard to identify in this game, not even slightly. It looks like a Timberwolf, unmistakably. The only reason to be upset over it is because it doesn't quite look as good as you want it to, which is fine, but simply making it prettier is not exactly high on the priority list. Even the CPLT isn't getting a remodel just to make it prettier, it's getting one because the whole thing was entirely too big for its weight.

#32 Kristian Radoulov

Banned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 611 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:37 AM

View PostMATRAKA14, on 27 February 2016 - 04:07 PM, said:

• Absolutely flat back,

Coincidentally the same thing I dislike most on women.

#33 MadcatX

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 11:19 AM

I've never been a fan of the changes made to the Timber Wolf. For everyone who calls out "get out of TT nostalgia", I point out that the TW actually had it's original look for, what, 7 PC games (that's including expansions) so yea.

I can see a re-design being for hit-box purposes since those pipecleaner arms really won't stop anything if you're torso twisting to spread damage, heck if firing at it from the side it's like hitting the broad side of a barn. And as mentionned, wtf with the backs?

#34 Volthorne

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Canadia

Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:03 PM

I would like to quickly point out to anyone complaining about the "flat back":

If you got your wishes and had the back of the torso extended out from the back of the arms, which hitbox would you apply damage to when hit? Side Torso or Rear Side Torso? Think carefully now, because both of them have serious drawbacks.

#35 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:14 PM

View PostVolthorne, on 28 February 2016 - 12:03 PM, said:

I would like to quickly point out to anyone complaining about the "flat back":

If you got your wishes and had the back of the torso extended out from the back of the arms, which hitbox would you apply damage to when hit? Side Torso or Rear Side Torso? Think carefully now, because both of them have serious drawbacks.

King Crab has like 50 feet of back. seems to do just fine.

#36 Moomtazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 577 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:41 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 28 February 2016 - 12:19 AM, said:

So you are in favor of getting superior hitboxes with equipping a superior weapon system (SRMs v LRMs)?

SRMs are vastly superior to LRMs. The situation right now is that you are punished for keeping the classic look and rewarded for ruining it.

Also, the SRM 6 box will still smaller than an LRM 10 launcher. But not just a small row on top of the shoulders

I feel that this is the root of all mech design disagreements. On one hand we have iconic mechs that people have played for years in tabletop, read about in books, etc. On the other hand we see how those designs are often sub-optimal in the game.

If Battletech was "real" the mechs would probably all have high cockpits with high hardpoints.

#37 Volthorne

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Canadia

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:19 PM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 28 February 2016 - 12:14 PM, said:

King Crab has like 50 feet of back. seems to do just fine.

The King Crab's frontal hitboxes extend all the way down the torso: only the rear-facing panels are RCT/RST.

Extending the rear on the Mad Cat and making the hitboxes RST means from certain angles - or if your opponent is a REALLY good shot - he can be hitting your extremely low RST armor from nearly head-on. Making them ST hitboxes makes twisting away from incoming fire or even running away hazardous once your ST armor is gone; your arms right now typically cover any hits you might take from behind, but this change would slap nearly catapult-level atrociousness on the Mad Cat.

#38 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:24 PM

View PostVolthorne, on 28 February 2016 - 01:19 PM, said:

The King Crab's frontal hitboxes extend all the way down the torso: only the rear-facing panels are RCT/RST.

Extending the rear on the Mad Cat and making the hitboxes RST means from certain angles - or if your opponent is a REALLY good shot - he can be hitting your extremely low RST armor from nearly head-on. Making them ST hitboxes makes twisting away from incoming fire or even running away hazardous once your ST armor is gone; your arms right now typically cover any hits you might take from behind, but this change would slap nearly catapult-level atrociousness on the Mad Cat.

structure /armor quirks

#39 MATRAKA14

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 443 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:36 PM

Cilindric arms have the same size as the square ones, probably they share the same hit box, look at the loki.

#40 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:45 PM

View Postx MT x, on 28 February 2016 - 08:35 AM, said:

Agreed the most iconic mech looks like crap and a bad
Artistic job.

Neither the most iconic mech, though certainly the most iconic clan mech or the worse looking, that sorry tale falls to the Battle master, if you want looks nothing like the original design.

While its nice to see people idea's, there are lots of other mechs that would be well ahead of the queue, removing all personal bias.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users