#21 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 01 March 2016 - 06:40 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 29 February 2016 - 01:21 PM, said:

Actually despite faint protestations to the contrary, quite a few demonstrate through word and deed that they do want clearly defined monotonous metas, as so many cry over ideas to actually balance things.

Your average comp it's no robin hood. Concerned with the greater good and Health of the game, but their own epeen, and the easiest way to inflate if.

Mind though, not saying all are, but a shocking number, yes.

Otherwise, I largely agree with your post

Apart from completely disagreeing with the central point of your post, I largely agree with it. :)

#22 Asrrin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 200 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:14 AM

Because we live, eat and breath this game, we know the mechanics of it pretty much inside and out. And when something is broken, either unusable or OP, we are the first to know and the first to exploit it. We value a healthy meta, which trickles down to a healthy casual environment. We know what wins games, and we know what loses games. And if you are more interested in winning than you are making special snowflake builds, you will eventually, either through research or trial and error, come to the same conclusion that the comp players have long ago concluded.

Just look at any other game with a competitive scene. LoL, DOTA, TF2, CS:GO, heck, even Hearthstone have a few select players/groups that people try to emulate, because emulating them wins games, and winning is usually fun. Losing is usually not fun. People want to win, ergo they value the opinions of winners. Comp players strive to be winners. It's not a hard connection to make.

#23 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:37 AM

This thread is funny.

It used to be, once upon a time, long long ago in a magical kingdom filled with good morals, strong values and accountability, people who worked hard, strived to be the best they could and worked hard were respected. But one day a young man visited the land. He wore a colorful tee shirt with funny words and animal pictures on it. Behind him followed a dark, murky cloud. It blotted out the sun. A dark evil enveloped the countryside.

Soon, crops started dying, schools were emptied, families... were in shambles. The townfolk... grew restless. They rounded up all the hard workers and brought them to the town square. There they erected a brilliant effigy made of straw, stick and wood, and in the center of it was a cage that they stuffed all those unfortunate folks into. When the bamboo was tied shut, their arms bound to the sides, their fate was sealed. At the base of the structure was a large pile of straw.

A little girl's name was called. She ran through the crowd wearing a flowing blue dress and carried a bright, blazing torch. As she stopped at the foot of the structure she looked up at all the howling people inside. Tears streaked down the faces of some while others were defiant.

The girl frowned, "You made me do this. My daddy says you all are meanies. He said you are tryhards. He said you aren't fair. He said if I light this fire the good times will return." The girl paused and swayed back and forth. Licks of flame whipped by her swinging hair. Her hips soon stopped and she looked up at the bound people again, "Die meanies!" She screamed.

And with that, she brought the torch down to the straw and it erupted in a hellish blaze. It wicked up the sides and as it did the folks inside screamed and pleaded. Yet there was one man within who said nothing. He stood bound to the front gate and scowled at the crowd. His face was covered in sweat as the flames drew closer.

Drums started beating, townfolk joined one another, hand in hand and formed several concentric circles around the pyre. They started singing, one by one and then in unison. Each circle rotated opposite of the one they surrounded. They sung songs of happiness, of joy and despite all the pleas of pain and sorrow, they did not relent.

Just as the fire reached the bottom of the cage floor, the silent staring man spoke. "When we are dead may you all starve for without us, without our hard work, you will know nothing and be no better than a pack of heathens! May a curse descend upon you forever more!"

He never said another word, for moments later his pants were afire and as the blaze wrapped around him he continued to stare.

It took three days for the fire to stop. A week later smoke still billowed out of the ashen pile. Nobody ever buried a one of them. None of their roasted bones were ever shown proper respect. A month later they began to throw their trash upon it. A year later it was covered in refuse. But the man's words were right... the town was never the same after that.

Poverty and famine gripped the community hard. Babies were born with deformities, cats started eating dogs and worst of all, even the town's mayor lost his blubbery belly as his skin drew taught against his bones. All the crops failed and a year later, almost everyone was dead. They had all starved and had little to show for their paganistic ritual. One boy lived and managed to carry on. He traveled to one town over and told them of his story. He told them... of that staring man.

From that day on it was known to all--to respect those who work hard and strive for quality and success in the name of others. And that community prospered along with everyone else who visited it. Life there... was good.

The End.

Posted Image

Edited by Mister Blastman, 01 March 2016 - 12:26 PM.

#24 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:50 AM

It's perfectly normal if a lot of us base our choices/preferences on competitive players or scene, because that's just how it is perhaps on almost every facet of human live. BTW I love cycling and I tell you that weekend warriors emulate those world tour riders on TV. There are a lot of other examples but I'm too lazy to think right now since I'm going to bed.....

#25 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:33 AM

View PostHit the Deck, on 01 March 2016 - 08:50 AM, said:

It's perfectly normal if a lot of us base our choices/preferences on competitive players or scene, because that's just how it is perhaps on almost every facet of human live. BTW I love cycling and I tell you that weekend warriors emulate those world tour riders on TV. There are a lot of other examples but I'm too lazy to think right now since I'm going to bed.....

And sorry but overweight middle aged guys got no business riding around in spandex trying to look Tour de France. If you are in an actual race, our a legit cyclist I training great. But for all this Tour De Hometown Buffet riders?. Put some normal shorts over that spandex. You'll still be chafe free, and I won't throw up I my mouth.

Ok.... Nothing to do with comp. Just one of many pet peeves. It's like seeing posers with racing cages in their civics, despite knowing the dude is a buster who doesn't race.

That said, I don't often see your average competitive cyclist riding around the local park, scornfully telling everyone else what to ride, and to get out of their park if they don't/won't /,can't, ya dig?

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 01 March 2016 - 09:34 AM.

#26 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:30 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 01 March 2016 - 09:33 AM, said:

That said, I don't often see your average competitive cyclist riding around the local park, scornfully telling everyone else what to ride, and to get out of their park if they don't/won't /,can't, ya dig?

Close, but not a fully accurate comparison.

An accurate comparison would be that all these other cyclists are on the same team as this competitive cyclist, and they're paired up against another team full of mixed cyclists. It may be a neighborhood bike race for fun, but it's still a competition with a clearly defined winner and loser at the end, so the former competitive cyclist has every right to be upset when half his team brings mountain bikes to a road race.

#27 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:41 AM

View PostAresye, on 01 March 2016 - 10:30 AM, said:

Close, but not a fully accurate comparison.

An accurate comparison would be that all these other cyclists are on the same team as this competitive cyclist, and they're paired up against another team full of mixed cyclists. It may be a neighborhood bike race for fun, but it's still a competition with a clearly defined winner and loser at the end, so the former competitive cyclist has every right to be upset when half his team brings mountain bikes to a road race.

Thanks for demonstrating the real issue. It's real sports, Joe doughboy would never be assigned to Team Armstrong. Ever. And thus there's would be no need to ram his gray wisdom and insight down their throats.

When you drop solo in quick play?. You aren't firming up a competitive team to run a major race. You ARE taking your nice racing bike to the local city park. It's called the casual queue for a reason.

Perhaps we need an "opt in" only solo quick play that only accepts tier 11&2s players for those who need/want too play Uber comp, all the time.

But in quick play solo, it ain't a bunch of schlubs invading your private, exclusive sand box. It's the bully boys invading the public beach, telling everyone how to build sand castles, then getting pissy and kicking sand in people's face if they don't comply.

You want Uber comp all the time?. Hello CW. Wasn't that billed as"hardcore" mode?

Or build a group. Even sands your personal teammates, plenty of comps on TS. But you drop solo, quickplay?

Welcome to the public park.

Is that ideal?. Maybe not, but don't blame the dude who just wants to have fun in sand for being there.

#28 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:46 AM

Solaris just can't come soon enough.

#29 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,767 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:53 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 01 March 2016 - 10:41 AM, said:

You want Uber comp all the time?. Hello CW. Wasn't that billed as"hardcore" mode?

What it was billed as, and what it actually is, are two very different things unfortunately.

#30 Spr1ggan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:59 AM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 01 March 2016 - 10:53 AM, said:

What it was billed as, and what it actually is, are two very different things unfortunately.

Originally solos weren't gonna have access to CW but PGI caved. Leading to it being easy mode seal clubbing and ruining any chances of it being the centre of competitive play.

#31 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,767 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:04 AM

View PostSpr1ggan, on 01 March 2016 - 10:59 AM, said:

Originally solos weren't gonna have access to CW but PGI caved. Leading to it being easy mode seal clubbing and ruining any chances of it being the centre of competitive play.

Even if there were no solos in it now, the game modes and maps suck enough that comp play would still not be there. I also don't think something as big as CW should've ever been focused on competitive play, if anything, they should've found a way to connect solo-queue into CW somehow.

#32 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:28 AM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 01 March 2016 - 10:53 AM, said:

Sadly true. So let's stop trying to force the underhive and "pugs just wanna have fun" to conform to tryhard standards, and actually force in the competition queues and modes that the Comps claim to want.

Here's the thing though. Are they ready for the long wait times? Without PSR concerns that should remove some of it, but let's face it, the comp bucket will be a heck of a lot smaller. But that might just be the price you pay for a non premium comp mode.

I'm sure other things city's streamline out more, too.

But folk gotta realise that the Quickplay queue, it's the public swimming pool. If you are upset that the plebs are playing Marco polo when you are trying to train for your Olympic heats.... Go get in the private pool like the real pros do. But stop insisting that everyone else needs to stop playing marco polo.

Ya din?

#33 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:46 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 29 February 2016 - 11:58 AM, said:

I like made up statistics...

But, to spell it out for you, if you have a balanced game at the highest levels of play where player skill is only a marginal variable, you have one at all other levels, too. Contrary to what you seem to believe, that competitive play is all about monotony, people are obsessed over competitive play because if it's monotonous there it means there's a problem with the game. The last thing the competitive scene wants is monotony or easy mode.

It's commonly known that in the online gaming world that the vast majority of players are casual. 5-10% (at best) are considering "competitive" so his made up statistic is pretty accurate.

#34 Spr1ggan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:50 AM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 01 March 2016 - 11:04 AM, said:

Even if there were no solos in it now, the game modes and maps suck enough that comp play would still not be there. I also don't think something as big as CW should've ever been focused on competitive play, if anything, they should've found a way to connect solo-queue into CW somehow.

Yeah the maps are pretty bad, basically moba copy/paste without any of the things that make mobas good.

#35 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:56 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 01 March 2016 - 10:41 AM, said:

Thanks for demonstrating the real issue. It's real sports, Joe doughboy would never be assigned to Team Armstrong. Ever. And thus there's would be no need to ram his gray wisdom and insight down their throats.

When you drop solo in quick play?. You aren't firming up a competitive team to run a major race. You ARE taking your nice racing bike to the local city park. It's called the casual queue for a reason.

Perhaps we need an "opt in" only solo quick play that only accepts tier 11&2s players for those who need/want too play Uber comp, all the time.

But in quick play solo, it ain't a bunch of schlubs invading your private, exclusive sand box. It's the bully boys invading the public beach, telling everyone how to build sand castles, then getting pissy and kicking sand in people's face if they don't comply.

Or build a group. Even sands your personal teammates, plenty of comps on TS. But you drop solo, quickplay?

Welcome to the public park.

Is that ideal?. Maybe not, but don't blame the dude who just wants to have fun in sand for being there.

I'm not talking "uber comp," I'm talking about basic PvP gaming.

Whether you want to admit it or not, this game is a "team-based" game with the goal of winning. The solo queue may not be competitive play with stuff like money and prizes on the line, but the end goal is still to win, and due to the nature of team play, a certain level of trust and dependency is placed on each player to pull their weight and do their part for the team. Those who are pulling their weight have absolutely every right to be frustrated at others who are not pulling their weight through a conscious decision to ignore what's effective and/or refuse to take initiative to get better.

When a 1v1 or FFA type mode comes out, THEN players can do whatever they want without fear of being judged, but as long as they're a part of a team, their team expects and relies on them playing to the maximum level they are capable of. Those that don't are literally bringing down their team, and their teammates have every right to be frustrated about that.

I think you'll find that most players are given a lot of slack. When comp guys get frustrated it's generally because somebody is not even making the slightest effort to help the team.

It's incredibly selfish to assume you can play however you want at the price of bringing down your team, or expecting others to fill that deficiency.

#36 Sigilum Sanctum

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:58 AM

Its nice to see that in one fell swoop the OP has demonstrated he has no bloody clue what he's talking about.

If I ever need advice or suggestions on how to better myself at this game who should I consult?

You?

Tarogato, Aresye, Krivvan, Mcgral18, Ultimax, etc the list goes on. They have my attention because they have an excellent understanding of the game. Not to mention Krivvam has developed EXTREMELY useful tutorials for new players concerning how to properly play light mechs.

It seems the only people obssessed with competetive players are those out for a witchhunt trying to mask their own fallacies.

#37 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:00 PM

Good thing nobody turns to me for advice, since ...
I´m just a kitten, playing with yarnballs Posted Image

And errybody knows it Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Rad Hanzo, 01 March 2016 - 12:01 PM.

#38 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:13 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 01 March 2016 - 11:28 AM, said:

Sadly true. So let's stop trying to force the underhive and "pugs just wanna have fun" to conform to tryhard standards, and actually force in the competition queues and modes that the Comps claim to want.

Here's the thing though. Are they ready for the long wait times? Without PSR concerns that should remove some of it, but let's face it, the comp bucket will be a heck of a lot smaller. But that might just be the price you pay for a non premium comp mode.

I'm sure other things city's streamline out more, too.

But folk gotta realise that the Quickplay queue, it's the public swimming pool. If you are upset that the plebs are playing Marco polo when you are trying to train for your Olympic heats.... Go get in the private pool like the real pros do. But stop insisting that everyone else needs to stop playing marco polo.

Ya din?

I will bite here.

Maybe in the #YOLO queue...that stuff flies

In the group queue, when people are on comms trying to play to win...if you join a group, and do not put on your tryhard hat...you can absolutely expect many will call you out on it. It is a part of life. The higher you get in tier, the less forgiving the group queue becomes. It simply is what it is...if you end up with T1 & T2 players on your team...you need to bring your "A" game.

#39 MrMadguy

• 2,209 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:32 PM

It's called elitism. Some players think, that they are more important and special, so their opinions are more valuable, then anyone else's opinions. They are elite and anyone else, who is just 0.00001% worse, then them - is scrub. But the sad truth - is that they're just vocal minority, nothing more. Catering to them - is big mistake, that killed many games.

#40 Sigilum Sanctum

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:33 PM

View PostMrMadguy, on 01 March 2016 - 12:32 PM, said:

It's called elitism. Some players think, that they are more important and special, so their opinions are more valuable, then anyone else's opinions. They are elite and anyone else, who is just 0.00001% worse, then them - is scrub. But the sad truth - is that they're just vocal minority, nothing more. Catering to them - is big mistake, that killed many games.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users