Hunchback 4J - The Best Hbk?

43 replies to this topic

#41 Fut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:54 AM

A little late to this party, but as the HBK-4J was my first Mech, I thought I'd drop a quick note.

Although I haven't used any of my HBKs in quite some time, I always have a blast while playing them. Going through literally dozens of possible builds for the 4J in the Smurfy Lab (trying a few of them in game), I finally settled on a 2xLRM10+Art, 5xML, TAG and BAP - with a fairly large XL engine to power the whole thing. HBKs are always going to be more of a support Mech than anything else, and my 4J is no different. It's role in combat is more of a Skirmisher, I stick close to some Heavies or Assaults and support as much as I can, flanking their targets and chasing off any lights that may appear.

My LRMs are usually shot with LOS on my target, to take advantage of the Artemis, and I also like to TAG my targets for those small bonuses, but I'll take some long in-direct LRM shots if I feel like they'll hit the target (hate wasting LRMs, it's embarrassing). I try to stick to the notion of LRMs being used to strip the armor off of my targets, then use the MLs to target the weak spots, although I'll change that tactic as the situation dictates (ie. Range restrictions). My build runs fairly hot, so it's important for me to maintain fire discipline and alternate my ML firing accordingly (helps to have a mouse with extra buttons for weapon groups).

She's a little tricky to pilot, but very rewarding when the Mech Gods smile down at me.

View Postepikt, on 01 March 2016 - 05:00 PM, said:

Anyway, there is at least one thing we agree on: the use of the MLas. Most LRM pilots think of them as defensive weapons ("against light mechs", as if 3 MLas could scare an Oxide or a Firestarter), but on the opposite they are offensive weapons, used combined with the LRMs.

Quoted this just to bring attention to it again. LRMs without some lasers just seems like a bad idea to me.
Use them in conjunction, but know when each is best to be shot.

#42 ZeProme

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 562 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 08:34 PM

IMO, the HBK-4SP(Also known as the fake hunchback), is pretty much a much better variant than the HBK-4J. Having the hard points spread distributively well across the body makes it very robust especially in brawls. It's also one of the most versatile Hunchbacks.

For best, that's debatable although I would argue the HBK-4J and HBK-4G are the worse in terms of hard points placement. I would prefer having energy hard points on a medium over ballistics.

If you gotten use to the HBK-4J and play to it's strength exclusively, the HBK-4SP will spoil you.

Even though the HBK-4J has an extra energy hard point, unfortunately it falls short because the majority of it's hard points (like all traditional, real hunchbacks) are all on the right torso. If you lose that, majority of your firepower will be gone.

Edited by ZeProme, 24 May 2016 - 08:36 PM.

#43 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:44 AM

Get real ZeProme, you can dead side with the entire left half of the mech and still have all your firepower. Because of the heavier specific quirks you are never going to lose the RT before the CT anyways.

Edited by Spheroid, 25 May 2016 - 12:49 AM.

#44 ZeProme

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 562 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:00 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 25 May 2016 - 12:44 AM, said:

Get real ZeProme, you can dead side with the entire left half of the mech and still have all your firepower. Because of the heavier specific quirks you are never going to lose the RT before the CT anyways.

I forgot to mention about the quirks. Pretty much what Spheroid said, dependant on the variant and its specific perks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users