31 replies to this topic

#21 Milocinia

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:47 PM

I admit, my beloved SHD-2H was retired long ago after the clams came and the quirk****up. I'm currently earning spare cbills so would you like to see how my build fares in the current state of the game?

#22 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,740 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:50 PM

Quirks? Personally, IS-XL engines changed to mimic C-XL with the penalties being different, esp in a game where there are no true engine crits. Most of those mechs are ballistic/missile carrying humanoid mechs with low set hard points, arms that can not be raised up. Equipped with std engines they are slow and/or not able to equip enough or larger weapons.

Still though, until energy weapons are controlled through a better,more functional heat scale, I do not see anything really changing.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 02 March 2016 - 07:43 PM.

#23 Troutmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:50 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 02 March 2016 - 04:09 PM, said:

There are mechs that have seemingly become victims of the Successive Meta wars.

Trebuchet, Shadowhawk, Victor, Dragon, Cataphract, Vindicator, Panther and so on.

These mechs need help but have been left to rust in neglect. How can they be saved?

Treb is just bad. Seen 1 last night but none in the months proceeding it
Shadowhawk is fine but not crazy good like when it came out. Medium pilots are rare anyways and have lots of "good" choices like Blackjacks and Enforcers.
Tried a Victor, did okay but everything else is better. Need JJ quirks
Dragons not sure about
Cataphract would benefit from a rescale to make them narrower but otherwise seems fine
Poor Vindy's never seemed good, even at release.
Panther is just too slow, too few hardpoints, too vulnerable to losing the arm. Outclase in everyway by Jenners, Firestarters and even Wolfhounds

#24 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:58 PM

Even with Blackjack-level structure and weapons quirks, there's nothing it can do that the Blackjack cannot do better with its superior hard-point mountings. You might be able to make a case for pop-tarting with shield arms, but...eh.

#25 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,980 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:12 PM

Put Urby in that list, until the day I see Urbies as often as I see Artic Cheetos, its mission is not complete.

#26 Milocinia

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:19 PM

View PostMister D, on 02 March 2016 - 07:12 PM, said:

Put Urby in that list, until the day I see Urbies as often as I see Artic Cheetos, its mission is not complete.

You haven't discovered the Death Blossom cheat code yet?

#27 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:23 PM

trip LPL SHD-2K is one of my fav meds right now. been having fun using the 5M sniping with that beautifully high mounted gauss

the Victor is much better now with the mobility quirks, but played polar highlands with it and i hit a LOT more snowbanks than i did enemy mechs with those low arms

the Cataphract is just waaay too freaking wide - i been eyeing my 3D lately, but it's already harder to get in matches when the heavy queue is 40%+ so i ain't wasting the wait just to screw around with a 2nd or 3rd rate mech

Edited by JagdFlanker, 02 March 2016 - 07:28 PM.

#28 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,980 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:26 PM

View PostMilocinia, on 02 March 2016 - 07:19 PM, said:

You haven't discovered the Death Blossom cheat code yet?

No, but I learned how to overheat and get 1 shot over and over.

#29 DeadliestDuck

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:32 AM

Check out this post by Gman, the man pretty much sums most of the core problems still plaguing the game:

http://www.nogutsnog....php?topic=3959

Many mechs are under-gunned, limited by awkward engines, awkward hardpoint locations, awkward hardpoint quantity, bad hitboxes, and/or low weapon mounts.

Edited by DeadliestDuck, 03 March 2016 - 12:33 AM.

#30 kesmai

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:48 AM

Panther.
hahahaha.

#31 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:50 AM

I think there's only so much you can do about the Vindicator and the Shadowhawk. Both are relatively light mixed-loadout 'mechs. Fine in TT, not so fine in an alpha-vomit FPS. Their entire design is diametrically opposite to what works in MWO.

Then you have SHD-2K though which never needed any help to begin with, and I have no idea why we don't see more of them. Dispenses with the vulnerable arm weapons, and puts everything in superb, high shoulder hardpoints.

Edited by jss78, 03 March 2016 - 12:52 AM.

#32 Prof RJ Gumby

• The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:38 AM

[edit: what a mess, the forum doesn't work with tables :/]

That treb is my self-developed polished, beloved little build. Worked well before requirkening, works well now. 5J or whatever that laserboat is called is decent too.
Started playing cataphracts this weekend or something. Having a blast with whem. Funnily, 2X not presented here (not gonna boast about mediocre stats Posted Image) is most fun of them all.

That panther variant is a great little finisher. Suprisingly it works for me much much better now than when I bought it few months ago. Nobody remembers to shoot the arm off first anymore, and the rest of hitboxes are really decent.

Vindi - pre-requirkening stats. Must admit, they were screwed overall. Worst models were made much less terrible (they're still bad, just not terribad), but the 1AA I loved got the shaft. With no agility quirks you can't just poptart as well - harder to relocate and make proper jumps sideways. In this case slower movement -> less opportunity for poptart ->a lot less dmg for already low alpha/low dps mech. You're just not able to do any proper damage anyhow, not in matches that last like 5 minutes. Poor thing.

Can't say about the rest of them - don't own any.

Dammit, in short:

The balance is overall better than anytime it was in the past IMHO. Most terribad variants got a decent amount of quirk/hitbox love. Many just went from terribad to just weak, but its always some kind of improvement

Edited by Prof RJ Gumby, 03 March 2016 - 02:04 AM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users