Why Does The Kodiak And Phoenix Hawk Cost The Same Amount Of Dollars?

106 replies to this topic

#41 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:54 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 02 March 2016 - 08:41 PM, said:

except this excuse is BS as this hasnt been the policy all along.

Unless suddenly the lolcust costs the same as a atlas?

I mean, 33 million to properly equip a 1E...

#42 Nauht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:06 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 02 March 2016 - 08:41 PM, said:

except this excuse is BS as this hasnt been the policy all along.

Unless suddenly the lolcust costs the same as a atlas?

Posted Image

#43 toncrell

• PipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:41 PM

Well here's my 2 cents. I'm going to buy this pack for one reason only. It was my first mech I ever rolled up in battletech on the table top game! No other reason! Keep in mind guys that we still are basicly playing a world of tanks in a mech game. If fraction play is all they have to offer then they missed the basics of MW. In every book iv read or table top game there has always been more then one objective, guarding a AA gun or a square is not a objective. They have events to keep us busy,but the rewards are still the same every time. What you should be looking at Is not the price of the packs but, why your buying the packs for in the first place,and that should be to play a complete MW universe game. Until we have that any money is to much to pay.

#44 Darwins Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:43 PM

View PostSaber Avalon, on 02 March 2016 - 08:19 PM, said:

As I said in another thread:

"
This is getting out of hand. I was ok with the packs of multiple chassis. Then they added extra chassis as add-ons, ok cool. Then they added a fourth variant free for opting in early, sweet. Then they stopped with the packs and went to individual chassis, alright, they're classic mechs I let it slide. They also added the option to buy a hero add-on with the classics, ok cool. Then they added a fourth and fifth variant but you have to pay extra for them instead of getting the fourth for free as an early opt in, not cool, at least the variants (talking about he Kodiak) weren't amazing compared to the others. Now they add two hero upgrades (each at a cost individually) and the two extra variants at extra cost but they put one of, if not, the best variant in that group.

This has to stop. Too many variants being jammed into these packs, the freebie early opt in variant is gone, and now they're charging extra for it and a bad tag along buddy. Oh and two heroes now too (unless this is going to be a rare case like the Dragon but I somehow doubt that.). Cost keeps going up, the packs before had value, that isn't the case anymore.
"

I've bought every top tier pack to this point, I even bought three gold mechs to support BattleTech/Mechwarrior. That's including the Kodiak, even though that was a hard one to swallow. I accepted the Kodiak because it's a 100 ton assault. However, this one? eeeeh..... Really thinking this is where I stop. I love the mech, Alex has done an amazing job as always but even that isn't enough for me anymore.

The new packs have better (imo) early adopter rewards. Radar Derp, Siesmic, ML range, ML cooldown. That's 12 million cbills that I don't have to spend on modules that I will most definitely use. Plus the 6.5 million pack. That's worth more than an extra variant of any mech. Even for a 45 ton mech the base pack has good value, especially with the early adopter bonus.

I do hope the hero variants go on sale normally (without having to buy the packs), but as long as they do that I don't care how many heroes they release. It's not like you have to buy all (or any) of them.

#45 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:49 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 02 March 2016 - 06:47 PM, said:

Much as I tend to get accused of white knighting, I would like to know myself. Perhaps if they added an extra variant, but as is?

Also still feel the collectors should be $10 upgrade, not $20. And should be a token letting you choose which variant you want to be the "special" model. (1 time only, selected like one does faction content)

Likewise, IMO, the Ultimate Pack should come at like a 10% discount, or have extra stuff added to make it more appealing.

I'm still trying to figure out why the heck the bothered offering an "ultimate" pack that's just the exact same as buying it the other way around...

$2 each or 5 for $10!

smh

I mean seriously PGI. I've harped on you guys in the past about your lack of marketing prowess but this one may take the cake...

#mediocre

Not that the packs are bad, I'm buying them, but what was the point of advertising it as an ultimate pack when there's nothing different about it in either items or price???

#46 Seal Farmer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:05 PM

View PostNauht, on 02 March 2016 - 09:06 PM, said:

Posted Image

luv dis

#47 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:21 PM

Reap what you've sewn. From my short and concentrated period of time on the forums all I've seen is what I sum as cyclic behavior. Bemoaning mechs, bemoaning the lack of content, bemoaning this or that,but then as soon as a new mech is released you see a dozen or so new threads pawning for moar mechs.

On one hand there are parties that defend this pay model with the main argument being that it supports pgi blood sweat and turds all whilst enacting some hardcore nostalgia. On the other hand you have either bittervets, that were of the former party that after dumping a chunk change got fed up, or you have people like me that can and never will be able to justify spending maybe more than a packs worth with the current/near state of the game (which albeit improved still has many flaws-primary being lack of anything other than fps walker boxes). Personally I bought the Kodiak, because of the time I've spent in game and loading screens was enough to warrant it to me.

The pay model's only real strong point is the exclusivity aspect that so many mechamon collectors vie for and have thus allowed it's continued existence. At this far along in the games life, I doubt it would be viable to introduce a much more affordable , efficient plan to encompass a larger pay base but hell the hardcorez have kept this ship afloat miraculously I don't see why that wouldn't seem logical at some point.
But hey I'm stoked you guys got your Phoenix Hawk. I really am.

Edited by JackalBeast, 02 March 2016 - 11:22 PM.

#48 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:53 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 02 March 2016 - 08:54 PM, said:

I mean, 33 million to properly equip a 1E...

does fitting equate to the original cost now?

View PostSandpit, on 02 March 2016 - 10:49 PM, said:

I mean seriously PGI. I've harped on you guys in the past about your lack of marketing prowess but this one may take the cake...

pretty sure the gold paint did that. That aty least got press ion outside mags. I doubt anyone else cares about this

#49 Joshua Obrien

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 196 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:12 AM

View PostSuomiWarder, on 02 March 2016 - 06:52 PM, said:

Because assault 'Mechs are not supposed to be "better" than other weight classes - according to PGI. Besides, they both took roughly the same amount of staff time to create and use roughly the same number of pixels.

I'd agree with you if all mechs cost the same amount of MC or Cbills.

#50 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:14 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 02 March 2016 - 08:34 PM, said:

Cause you are gonna buy the Phoenix Hawk like the fanboys you are! And you are gonna like it!--PGI.

Sorry, I only buy OP mechs.

#51 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:15 AM

Because sensible pricing is hard™

#52 Black Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 255 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:42 AM

Don't forget the 6 million c-bills worth XL400 you get on EACH variant of the Kodiak. selling all but one them will net you more than the early adopters c-bills reward...

#53 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:47 AM

View PostSuomiWarder, on 02 March 2016 - 06:52 PM, said:

Because assault 'Mechs are not supposed to be "better" than other weight classes - according to PGI. Besides, they both took roughly the same amount of staff time to create and use roughly the same number of pixels.

Maybe, but price difference between clanners and IS mech packs were reasoned with Cbill cost difference. Now I wonder if a stock Kodiak prices the same as a stock pheani hawk (Well in don't really wonder, should better aks, if a Kodiak prices the same as 4 phoeniy hawks) As long as mech packs had a mix of ever ylcass the price was an average mix calculations, but now truly wanting as much for an 45 mech as an 100t mech is just ridiculous. I wonder except form gettign them earlaier if buying Cbills via MC would even get your the phoenixes cheaper.

View PostZolaz, on 03 March 2016 - 12:14 AM, said:

Sorry, I only buy OP mechs.

this mech si clearly OverPriced

Edited by Lily from animove, 03 March 2016 - 12:48 AM.

#54 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:48 AM

Not buying because:

(S) variant is a long, long way from the best one.
Both heroes are decidedly meh.
Have to buy reinforcements to get the standout best variant (PHX-2)

Also, WTF is with the engine cap being 355? Every mech so far has had an engine cap of stock engine + 55-60 ratings, with only exceptions for the locust because it would be too fast, only got +30 ratings, and a few variants here and there to give them a reason to exist (GHR-5J, WLF-1, etc). If the PHX can have a 355, why can't the Highlander? Why can't the Mauler?
It would really help those mechs, and PHX doesn't even need that engine cap lol, 325 is easily enough.

#55 Vashramire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 419 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:50 AM

Posted Image

Maybe PGI needs more cakes?

#56 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:23 AM

View PostVashramire, on 03 March 2016 - 12:50 AM, said:

Posted Image

Maybe PGI needs more cakes?

listen, and listen to the true logic:

a man is hungry, he buys a cake and eats it: He spends money, which means his money decreases.

a man is hungry and steals cake and eats it: He doesn't spends money, his account stays.

a man is hungry steals 40 cakes, eats one and sells 39. He gets money and his account increases.

3 ways to furfill your his, only one to get rich.

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 03 March 2016 - 12:48 AM, said:

Not buying because:

(S) variant is a long, long way from the best one.
Both heroes are decidedly meh.
Have to buy reinforcements to get the standout best variant (PHX-2)

Also, WTF is with the engine cap being 355? Every mech so far has had an engine cap of stock engine + 55-60 ratings, with only exceptions for the locust because it would be too fast, only got +30 ratings, and a few variants here and there to give them a reason to exist (GHR-5J, WLF-1, etc). If the PHX can have a 355, why can't the Highlander? Why can't the Mauler?
It would really help those mechs, and PHX doesn't even need that engine cap lol, 325 is easily enough.

mybe thats similar to the CTF? Agt leats one of them has for whatever reason a low engine cap.

#57 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,578 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:27 AM

View PostLupis Volk, on 02 March 2016 - 07:44 PM, said:

Sadly it's $123.59AUD for me if i want the big pack....which is the one i'm eyeing off.

I went all in, but admittedly my distaste for the next four pack being Vatborn has now faded away, I'll need the gap to recoup :/

Edited by CycKath, 03 March 2016 - 01:34 AM.

#58 patataman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-sa
  • Sho-sa
  • 464 posts
  • LocationA Vindicator cockpit near you

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:39 AM

View PostZolaz, on 02 March 2016 - 06:42 PM, said:

So 100 ton mech pack costs the same as the 45 ton mech pack? Why?

Because it takes the same effort to model a 45 tonner and a 100 tonner. I'm cool with that, same effort needed to create and animate the models.

BUT, in game terms, a 100 tonner is potentially better at making c-bills, and i feel i would be getting less for the same amount of money. After all, the PHX is a 45T humanoid mech, with the closest reference in game being the VND, not exactly a meta mech, right? Then, why the PHX pack doesn't offer more variants for the same money? The differences between variants are going to be mainly the arms hardpoints and camo patterns in the case of the heroes.

I'd probably purchase something like this:

Basic ($20): 5 variants (PHX-1, -1B, -K, -2 and -3S) , 225T. (Still 75T less than the kodiak basic pack!)
Collector ($40): 7 variants, 315T, 2 of them being duplicate variants with a +30% cbill bonus and (S) paint pattern.
Single hero addon (+$15)
Dual hero addon (+$25)

Top pack: $65 for 9 mechs. This would be more in line with the rest of unseen packs, in a price range from $20 to $55. Also similar $/mech ratio as the 12 mech "megapacks" for $80.

If PGI adds some interesting content (aka not mechs), like CW phase 3 (if it's good) or and new maps (if they are Polar quality and size), MAYBE they can milk $35 from me, i really like the KOTIS paint pattern art. A different question is how that pattern will look when it's finally released. $85 pack? Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image "Ultimate nope". <closes wallet and boards his vnd-1aa>

#59 Kraven Vanhound

• Pip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:47 AM

From Memory, and this is going back a bit am sure Russ said that all packages will sell for $20/$40 not including heroes or reinforcement packs from now on, and that would be stranded across the board.

#60 VorpalAnvil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 724 posts
  • LocationThe Cantillon Brewery

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:55 AM

View PostZolaz, on 02 March 2016 - 06:42 PM, said:

So 100 ton mech pack costs the same as the 45 ton mech pack? Why?

Because PGI is in the business of milking every last penny from fanbois who are too stupid to know better...

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users