The New Phoenix Hawk... Is This Coincidence That The New Mech Looks Scary Similar To This Gundam?

BattleMechs Weapons General

40 replies to this topic

#1 K I T C A T

Rookie

• The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 4 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:46 PM

Does this seem a little odd to some people? When I saw the new mech, I thought... Hmmmm reminds me of something... did some searching around and the resemblance between the two stompy stomp robots is kinda scary.... I also thought I sensed an incoming lawsuit LOL

Posted Image

#2 Kira Onime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:50 PM

Don't really see any resemblance outside of the 2 things on the back of the Hawk vs the core booster of the victory gundam.
Core booster being the backpack of the gundam itself.
remove that and there's even less resemblance.

#3 Nauht

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:52 PM

Wrong anime...

... but I like your thinking. Your heart of HGold <cough> is in the right place.

#4 K I T C A T

Rookie

• The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 4 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:53 PM

View PostKira Onime, on 02 March 2016 - 07:50 PM, said:

Don't really see any resemblance outside of the 2 things on the back of the Hawk vs the core booster of the victory gundam.
Core booster being the backpack of the gundam itself.
remove that and there's even less resemblance.

Just look at the Right leg (Visual Left) and little individual layers of components and the left arm (visual right). The resemblance is scary when you really look at it and the fact that none of our mechs so far have these reverse thrusters, Real hands, an actual weapon resembling a big rifle... Its very similar.

#5 Kira Onime

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:59 PM

View PostK I T C A T, on 02 March 2016 - 07:53 PM, said:

Just look at the Right leg (Visual Left) and little individual layers of components and the left arm (visual right). The resemblance is scary when you really look at it and the fact that none of our mechs so far have these reverse thrusters, Real hands, an actual weapon resembling a big rifle... Its very similar.

I see more resemblance with the Turn-X gundam.
Posted Image

The Victory gundam is a gundam that is as generic as they get.

Sorry, as someone that almost lives with a gundam in his bed, I don't see the resemblance you see outside of what I already mentionned.

#6 SkaerKrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 258 posts
  • LocationLuthien

It bears a passing resemblance, sure. Keep in mind that the original Phoenix Hawk design came from Macross (I believe), which was a contemporary of MS Gundam. Also consider that most subsequent Gundam series have borrowed heavily from their own predecessors, and you find that both the MWO PHX and the Victory have similar visual heritage.

#7 Clint Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 567 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMichigan

View PostK I T C A T, on 02 March 2016 - 07:53 PM, said:

He is a humanoid Mech, and shares some similarities in silhouette. However, look at his hips and how his legs attach. Proportions are very different having much shorter legs, and longer/bigger arms. His head is entirely different. If you were to remove the paint off the Gundam, his chest looks much different as well.

So no, not scary similar, though there is some resemblance for sure.

#8 Anyone00

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 329 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:07 PM

The Phoenix Hawk exists in battle tech because a Japanese hobby model company had a surplus of VF-1A Super Valkyrie models from Super Dimensional Fortress Macross.
Super Dimensional Fortress Macross came along about three years after Mobile Suite Gundam; MS Gundam codified the "real robot" genera and differentiated it from the "Super Robot" genera (thought the New Type stuff got really over the top in Gundam ZZ). That particular Gundam is from a series that came about a decade after Macross; both Macross and Gundam are long running influential franchises:
It's just likely the FlyingDebris Phoenix Hawk and the V-Dash somewhat likely draw form the same well.

#9 Sheriff x

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 51 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBlue trails of smoke-haze lifting in the cockpit while Betty screams incessantly

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:16 PM

I actually agree with you, Kit. I see a lot of similarities between it and stereotypical gundams, as well as Veritech Fighters from Robotech.

#10 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:17 PM

I was waiting for someone to bring up gundam lol

#11 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:18 PM

Another one of these threads...

#12 Averen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:18 PM

These small charachteristics, like the feet and leg's shape, can be found in countless mechs and robots, even outside Battletech and Anime. Gundam itself was one of the most influencial sources for these 'realistic' kinds of mechs, although you'd surely can find a few interesting predecessors as well.
It's all highly derivative, even outside the unseen.

Edited by Averen, 02 March 2016 - 08:19 PM.

#13 Sheriff x

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 51 posts
  • LocationBlue trails of smoke-haze lifting in the cockpit while Betty screams incessantly

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:26 PM

View PostAveren, on 02 March 2016 - 08:18 PM, said:

These small charachteristics, like the feet and leg's shape, can be found in countless mechs and robots, even outside Battletech and Anime. Gundam itself was one of the most influencial sources for these 'realistic' kinds of mechs, although you'd surely can find a few interesting predecessors as well.
It's all highly derivative, even outside the unseen.

YEAH MAN. NO KIDDING. IT'S LIKE THE SHAPE AND SMALL CHARACTERISTICS OF CARS. THEY'RE ALL THE SAME, LOL.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Sheriff x, 02 March 2016 - 08:37 PM.

#14 Idealsuspect

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:31 PM

Dont discuss just pay :)
85$ dollars for ultimate package ... PGI are good with maths.

But but can you fix TC criticals shoot bonus? Ty

#15 Milocinia

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:33 PM

Did no-one get the memo regarding these classic releases?

#16 Sigilum Sanctum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:34 PM

Still waiting on my Battlemech equivalent to this thing:
Posted Image
*prays for the Cyclops*

#17 K I T C A T

Rookie

• The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 4 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:43 PM

I was mistaken. I believe that the new hero mech looks like Ripley's Caterpillar P-5000 Work Loader. It makes sense now, since all mechs and robots look similar. Just add cockpit glass and a gun and it all makes sense. Im silly.

Posted Image

Edited by K I T C A T, 02 March 2016 - 08:43 PM.

#18 Sheriff x

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:44 PM

View PostK I T C A T, on 02 March 2016 - 08:43 PM, said:

I was mistaken. I believe that the new hero mech looks like Ripley's Caterpillar P-5000 Work Loader. It makes sense now, since all mechs and robots look similar. Just add cockpit glass and a gun and it all makes sense. Im silly.

Posted Image

This. LOL.

#19 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:57 PM

Bro, do you even Unseen?

The Phoenix Hawk design was originally ripped off from Macross' VF-1S Super Valkyrie. Hence its similarity to Japanese anime mech.

Posted Image

Edited by El Bandito, 02 March 2016 - 08:58 PM.

#20 Averen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:06 PM

View PostSheriff x, on 02 March 2016 - 08:26 PM, said:

YEAH MAN. NO KIDDING. IT'S LIKE THE SHAPE AND SMALL CHARACTERISTICS OF CARS. THEY'RE ALL THE SAME, LOL.

I'm talking about the gundam-like design, not all mechas.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users