19 replies to this topic

#1 FuzzyNova

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 401 posts
  • LocationComStar Cafeteria

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:25 PM

Hunchbacks are undoubtedly one of the most comfortable and versatile mech's of its size and very popular among most pilots. Being one of the first battlemech's i purchased, i decided to compare two variants in which both seem to prevail over others. This is just to see what others think and have to say.

Hunchbacks were produced by Komiyaba/Nissan General Industries and sold all over the Inner Sphere and Periphery. First produced in the year 2572. Most Hunchbacks were built for urban and close range combat. The Grid Iron changes all of that. I do not know for certain when or where the Grid Iron was first created but i do know that During the war of 3039 a mercenary company modified 2 HBK -4G's for long range combat. They called it the HBK-4G Guass prototype. This may have been the first real Grid Iron prototype. But i am not certain, Lets get down the the nitty gritty. First we have the Grid Iron.

GRID IRON

Ballistics- 2

Energy- 3

Missile- 1

AMS- 1

Structure- Endosteel

DBl Heat- Yes

Armor- Ferro-Fibrous

Artemis- Yes

Speed- 64,8 kph

Max Engine- XL 275

Armor-338 max

50 tons

I

Notable Quirks: Ballistics Cooldown, energy range, laser duration, missile velocity, missile cooldown, gauss cooldown, torso turn rate.

HBK IIC

Ballistics- 4

Energy- 2

Missile- 0

Ams- 1

Structure- Endo-Steel

Double Heat- Yes

Armor- Ferro- Fibrous/Standard

Artemis- No

Speed- 64.8 kph

Max Engine- XL 275

Armor- 338 max

50 tons

Notable quirks- None

Now that the basics are listed, we have to take into consideration that tweeks and improvements will be made. I am making sure that both mechs have Endo-steel and ferro-fibrous and double heat sinks. This can be altered for your consideration. To list every possible load out would take way too long. As on my personal Grid Iron, i have it at top notch speed. Maxed engine and everything. This does come with sacrifice towards weapons and modules. As the same with the HBK IIC.

The Grid iron and HBK IIC are notably similar when it comes to ballistics. The HBK IIC can hold more yet both are fairly suited for long range ballistic combat. The Grid Iron outweighs the other with its missile hardpoint. Which i found very usefull during certain combat related situations. Yet the HBK IIC still wins with its 4 ballistic hardpoints.

When you first purchase the HBK IIC you will want to take a look at your armor rating. It is going to be below 200. Which is paper thin. There will be the need to tweek and tinker with your loadout. Having a max engine and max armor both on your HBK IIC may not be an option. For the sacrifice may be to much. I personally left the speed alone and maxed out my armor. This left room to work with my weapons. And i would highly suggest not going into combat with stock armor. Dual Ultra Ac 20's may sound like a steal. Especially on a medium sized mech. Its like putting the cherry on top of the sundae. Its the old car sale's man trick to lure you into buying this bad boy. Dual Ulra AC 20's are what you want at close range. But i doubt you will find room to hold those with max armor. Unless those are the only two weapons you want on the mech.

Again i am new to the HBK IIC and it is growing on me. But the Grid Iron has always held its own. It has got me through the worst of battle;s and the best of victories. This report may seem a bit biased. And to tell you the truth it is. I could of just posted "Which mech is better, The Grid Iron or HBK IIC, in your opinion?": That would of been short and sweet. But the matter at hand is that i truly care about this. Hunchbacks can be just as deadly as an Assault if piloted correctly. And the two that i care about the most are the ones above. Sorry HBK 4G...you were a close second.

Let me know what you think. Which mech is better suited for combat? Or better suited for yourself? If neither of these HBKs is on your list then tell me which one is, Thanks for your time. And i will see you on the battlefield.

- Nathaniel Johns

#2 Lugh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:37 PM

I don't have a GridIron. I didn't want to pay money for what I already have on the 4g(f) which I already paid money for back in the day.

If I had to choose the 4g or the IIC (0) I'd take the IIC (0) all day every day.

Both are good. But the IIC (0) just does so well.

#3 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:41 PM

The Grid Iron really isn't "useful" for anything but guass. You can multi load it or ac20 it but its far less effective than the c-bill variants if you are going to do that.

The IIC is probably only going to be useful with 2 uAC10s or 3 uAC5s. 4 cannons on 50 tons is just going to be hard to do even with clan weights.

I'd take the IIC over the GI though, just because clan xl is better than IS standard or IS xl - also 3 ultra5s is a pretty slick combo.

#4 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:55 PM

View Postsycocys, on 03 March 2016 - 12:41 PM, said:

The Grid Iron really isn't "useful" for anything but guass. You can multi load it or ac20 it but its far less effective than the c-bill variants if you are going to do that.

The IIC is probably only going to be useful with 2 uAC10s or 3 uAC5s. 4 cannons on 50 tons is just going to be hard to do even with clan weights.

I'd take the IIC over the GI though, just because clan xl is better than IS standard or IS xl - also 3 ultra5s is a pretty slick combo.

Yea even 4 ac2's is pretty lack luster for the weight you drop in the cannons....i dont see the point.

I have been running either Dual Uac5's on the left side (anti IS hunch, lol) Dual 10's across both or a single 20 (cuz double tapping CUAC20's causes GH for some reason.)

But the GI is only good for Gauss is right, used to be a GAUSS MACHINE GUN before they removed the mega quirk it had. I used to thorw down 700 dmg and a few kill in that thing with just ONE GAUSS in CW matches. Was kinda OP for only having one gun but man did it do its job well.

IIC can be a GI with very little work for the most part, Gauss and 2 er Meds in CT isnt a bad Knock Off GI honestly.

#5 Yosharian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:06 PM

HBK IIC can run dual gauss can't it? With a little sacrifice in terms of speed/maneuverability. Surely that means it beats the GI in most ways.

#6 process

• Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:10 PM

I run my IIC with the good ol' Gauss+PPC. XL 275 wth full jumpjets for maximum jump'n shoot.

HBK-IIC

#7 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:19 PM

The Grid Iron is tougher and the IIc dies pretty fast if you make a mistake. Not as fast as the Orion IIc, but close.

MWO just gives all these mechs giant CT's. My Shadow Cat and HBK IIc seem to take CT hits like they were a 95 ton Hauptmann in MW4. That's why TTKs are so short I think.

#8 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,663 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:26 PM

HBK-IIC hands down, since the loss of the 50% cooldown quirk and the nerfing of Gauss, the GI lost a lot of its usefulness.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 03 March 2016 - 01:26 PM.

#9 TKG

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 182 posts
  • LocationThe Sandhills of NC

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:34 PM

Before I start, I do have a Grid Iron and three other variants of IS hunchbacks as well as Four Hunchback IIC's (three variants). So yes what I'm about to say is based on having operated both halves of the equation for a fair amount of time.

Like any other design, I do have to point out that unless the compared units are using the same engine, they aren't comparable. I8n that light I swapped out the 200 Xl on the GI for a standard immediately and got rid of the SRM launcher as well. The pulse lasers went next and were replaced with standard mediums and AMS was added. Additional armor and ammo for the rifle were a final change. The irony here is that the HBK-IIC-C can accept this exact same load out albeit with clan tech and I see no difference in performance between the two at all. Though I do admit the IIC is better at heat dissipation and you don't have to pay to install CASE so there's some weight savings too. With all that said I've found that I like both equally and have decent results as long as I remember that load out is more or less an tank destroyer with legs.

Oh, I almost forgot there is just one odd difference, I took the liberty of nicknaming my IIC models amusingly.

#10 FuzzyNova

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 401 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:48 PM

View PostTKG, on 03 March 2016 - 01:34 PM, said:

Before I start, I do have a Grid Iron and three other variants of IS hunchbacks as well as Four Hunchback IIC's (three variants). So yes what I'm about to say is based on having operated both halves of the equation for a fair amount of time.

Like any other design, I do have to point out that unless the compared units are using the same engine, they aren't comparable. I8n that light I swapped out the 200 Xl on the GI for a standard immediately and got rid of the SRM launcher as well. The pulse lasers went next and were replaced with standard mediums and AMS was added. Additional armor and ammo for the rifle were a final change. The irony here is that the HBK-IIC-C can accept this exact same load out albeit with clan tech and I see no difference in performance between the two at all. Though I do admit the IIC is better at heat dissipation and you don't have to pay to install CASE so there's some weight savings too. With all that said I've found that I like both equally and have decent results as long as I remember that load out is more or less an tank destroyer with legs.

Oh, I almost forgot there is just one odd difference, I took the liberty of nicknaming my IIC models amusingly.

I see your point. They both can almost equip the same weapons. Except the IIC can equip more Ballistics. But cannot equip missiles. I find the Lrm 20 Artemis on the grid iron usefull. I am only talking about the HBK IIC. Not variant A B or C. Just those two mechs. But your point is valid. I could compare mechs all day long but I think it came down to these two becusse they are the only two I have trouble deciding between. Thanks for the input as it is true. Yeah you can put dual Gauss on both. And one little change in the load out could make a difference . as I have maxed out engine in my grid iron I sometkems think o should not have. For what speed makes up for I am losing some precious space. The IIC so far has me stumped. Maxed armor becusse what it came with was just pathetic.

Yeah this HBK IIC above is not the A B or C variant. It is just the regular HBk IIc

#11 Shalune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCombination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:58 PM

View PostRevis Volek, on 03 March 2016 - 12:55 PM, said:

Yea even 4 ac2's is pretty lack luster for the weight you drop in the cannons....i dont see the point.

I gotta disagree. In my experience 4x UAC/2s is exceptionally deadly. You just need to be used to that kind of positioning, abuse the hell out of the high mounts, and not get greedy about committing to dakka. Unless you get lucky, most of a match should be spent firing single to short bursts and maneuvering.

Leverage the hell out of:
- high ballistic mounts
- projectile speed
- accuracy
- ROF - in those occasions where you can unload without return fire or have to to survive

#12 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:01 PM

Dont own a GI, but Ive got all the std variants.

I also have a couple HB IICs.

All things considered, I think I would give an over slight edge to the IS HB.

View PostShalune, on 03 March 2016 - 01:58 PM, said:

I gotta disagree. In my experience 4x UAC/2s is exceptionally deadly. You just need to be used to that kind of positioning, abuse the hell out of the high mounts, and not get greedy about committing to dakka. Unless you get lucky, most of a match should be spent firing single to short bursts and maneuvering.

Leverage the hell out of:
- high ballistic mounts
- projectile speed
- accuracy
- ROF - in those occasions where you can unload without return fire or have to to survive

It can be a viable option. It is particularly good at suppression. Most players freak out and jump to cover when they are getting hit that quickly with that many ballistics.

#13 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:03 PM

If you already have the Grid Iron - ditch the LRM20 and get ballsy with some brawling. Use those structure quirks up.

#14 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:09 PM

View PostShalune, on 03 March 2016 - 01:58 PM, said:

I gotta disagree. In my experience 4x UAC/2s is exceptionally deadly.

The problem is you are putting 20 tons into cannons. 3 ultra 5's are 21 tons and a far superior option, especially if you are only letting loose short bursts and relocating - triple ultra 5s will easily double the amount of damage on target as 4 ultra 2s.

And for a couple tons more with the same strategy 2 ultra 10s will double that up again. Double tap for 40 damage = half or more of most mechs CT gone.

#15 FuzzyNova

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 401 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:10 PM

View Postsycocys, on 03 March 2016 - 03:03 PM, said:

If you already have the Grid Iron - ditch the LRM20 and get ballsy with some brawling. Use those structure quirks up.
oh I usually do brawl with the grid iron. That's what it's made for. I just recently put on Lrm 20s for the first time and it actually is pretty good. But I guess the whole point is for Ballistics so yep

#16 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:13 PM

View PostNathaniel Johns, on 03 March 2016 - 03:10 PM, said:

oh I usually do brawl with the grid iron. That's what it's made for. I just recently put on Lrm 20s for the first time and it actually is pretty good. But I guess the whole point is for Ballistics so yep

I normally run MPL and an xl275 instead of the SRM, but it sounded like you wanted to use the missile slot. People will cry about xl with guass, but who wants to be alive in a hunch without its main weapon? Use the speed to keep you alive and pinballing between cover.

#17 KodiakGW

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 03 March 2016 - 04:00 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 03 March 2016 - 01:26 PM, said:

HBK-IIC hands down, since the loss of the 50% cooldown quirk and the nerfing of Gauss, the GI lost a lot of its usefulness.

And don't forget the across the board energy range cut to 10% (was 30%).

#18 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:14 PM

View Postsycocys, on 03 March 2016 - 03:09 PM, said:

The problem is you are putting 20 tons into cannons. 3 ultra 5's are 21 tons and a far superior option, especially if you are only letting loose short bursts and relocating - triple ultra 5s will easily double the amount of damage on target as 4 ultra 2s.

And for a couple tons more with the same strategy 2 ultra 10s will double that up again. Double tap for 40 damage = half or more of most mechs CT gone.

Double the dmg, and is less projectiles and cannons to fire....kinda a no brainer to me.

Only thing you loose out on is the range which isnt much of an issue on most maps....aside from alpine or something with no cover.

Even if you hit me with all 4 its 8-16 (with a double tap) dmg while the 3 5's already put that DMG down range and i haven't double tapped yet. Again, only thing you loose is some range, and with C AC's is kinda moot honestly.

Edited by Revis Volek, 03 March 2016 - 05:15 PM.

#19 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:32 PM

The Grid Iron is sub-par because it is survivable with pitiful firepower.

The HBK-IICs are sub-par because they have great firepower but pitiful survivability.

So take your pick.

#20 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:41 PM

Just dropped in my IIC-C a bit ago, and now I regret getting the laser one instead of the IIC main.

And after looking at smurfy - the IIC with triple uAC5 will be ridiculous. Far, far better than the Grid Iron.

*and just a side note, the IIC-B with 2 MPL and 4 SRM6/A is ridiculous amounts of awesome.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users