Trouble Leveling Up

33 replies to this topic

#1 Accused

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 989 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:50 PM

I'm sick and tired of being stuck in this tier. All these people do is nascar endlessly - leaving their assaults to die or cower behind a rock waiting for the enemy to finish them off. Please tell me it gets better than this? The maturity of these people is unbelievable.

Seriously though I'm stuck at the last pixel and I can't get over it. It always seems like just when I'm about to advance I get a series of stomps holding me back. I have a positive kdr which should mean something but apparently not.

#puglife

#2 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:54 PM

nascar is prolly worse in higher tiers lo

#3 Agent 0 Fortune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:01 PM

Surprise, tiers are a lie.
This is not a complicated game, the biggest difference between tiers is the number of crutches players lean on.

#4 SQW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:29 PM

What tier is that? I play NA server and I rarely see Nascar outside of alpha lance.

#5 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:31 PM

View PostAccused, on 03 March 2016 - 05:50 PM, said:

I'm sick and tired of being stuck in this tier. All these people do is nascar endlessly - leaving their assaults to die or cower behind a rock waiting for the enemy to finish them off. Please tell me it gets better than this? The maturity of these people is unbelievable.

Seriously though I'm stuck at the last pixel and I can't get over it. It always seems like just when I'm about to advance I get a series of stomps holding me back. I have a positive kdr which should mean something but apparently not.

#puglife

Play with friends. Easier to ignore the ******* and advancement goes up exponentially.

#6 SQW

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:39 PM

View PostTed Wayz, on 03 March 2016 - 06:31 PM, said:

Play with friends. Easier to ignore the ******* and advancement goes up exponentially.

Play pub queue builds character. =)

#7 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:29 PM

Well it does and doesn't get better to be totally honest.

But to your point of getting out of the tier (I'm just going to go ahead an assume 4 or 5) - the trick is simple, especially simple in those two tiers.
Pick one of the following mechs -
Timberwolf - I prefer dual uac10 and a few srms
Mauler - 4 ultra5 or 5 ac5
KGC - 4 ultra5
Warhawk - 2 ultra10, 2-3 srm6
Direwolf - 6 ultra5 or 4 ultra5, 2 ultra10, or 4 ultra5, 1 ultra10, 1 ulltra20

Then drop in and proceed to dump 600+ dakka damage into the faces of your enemy in every match until you reach your desired tier. Tier 5 and Tier 4 will be an absolute breeze. Tier 3 will take some work, but 50% of the time you'll drop against low tier opponents which will give you huge boosts - and against the better ones just aim for ~500 damage or a little less and 1 kill.

Don't f around with LRMs, its a waste of your time if you are trying to tier up. Don't be a sniper. And don't be scared of lasers - just get in these mechs dump out piles of damage and if you are out early exit and drop in the next one.

Edited by sycocys, 03 March 2016 - 08:31 PM.

#8 SQW

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:51 PM

View Postsycocys, on 03 March 2016 - 08:29 PM, said:

Don't f around with LRMs, its a waste of your time if you are trying to tier up. Don't be a sniper. And don't be scared of lasers - just get in these mechs dump out piles of damage and if you are out early exit and drop in the next one.

What's the point of playing that way? Grinding with nothing but laser just to reach a tier rank that has no reward and basically has no reflection of skill. I get why some ppl will try to min/max everything in MMO but in this game, it's all about enjoying running a big robot the way you want to. Use whatever weapon or tactics you enjoy as long as you can pull your weight in a team fight and leave the meta to those who chases virtual glories.

Personally, my fav mech is Raven 3L with narc and 3MLs. I love scouting, spotting and my narc can take out the entire Charlie lances if I have 2-3 LRM boats on my team. My team mates are usually happy because finally they feel like they are playing a team game rather than Quake with robots.

#9 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:00 PM

Did you even take 1 second to read that post? There is exactly 0 lasers used.

And the point is simple - if you want out of the shite tiers you need to be able to front load a lot of damage fast and consistently whether you win or lose the matches. You can't count on derps to do anything, so drilling up 6-800+ damage is the ONLY effective way to move up and out of those tiers.

Also great, you love scouting - its completely unnecessary on any map but Polar Highlands. You also need to rely on other mechs for you to score at all with your narc - your score is going to be trash in any match where multiple LRMer don't show up, where the guy front loading dakka shells is going to be pulling in consistently high damage and rewards no matter who shows up on his team.

Edited by sycocys, 03 March 2016 - 09:03 PM.

#10 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:02 PM

I'm not sure why people have to insist on climbing the bar in the first place. The point of the PSR thingy was "supposed" to be about trying to increase the quality of your matches by putting you with the people who are "on your own level." It's not supposed to measure your worth as a human being or if you are worthy of ascension to the golden master race.

...But in reality, it's just turned into a glorified XP bar.

#11 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:06 PM

View PostFupDup, on 03 March 2016 - 09:02 PM, said:

I'm not sure why people have to insist on climbing the bar in the first place.

You should start a new account and play in Tier 4-5 for a while, then you'd understand why people want to move up and away from the quality of matches those tiers provide.

#12 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:07 PM

View PostAccused, on 03 March 2016 - 05:50 PM, said:

#puglife

Positive KDR mean little as long as your WLR is not positive. Winning is the most important thing in advancing PSR, and if a team with you is not winning at least 50% of the time, then you need to look at your builds and play styles and make some changes.

#13 SQW

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:30 PM

View Postsycocys, on 03 March 2016 - 09:06 PM, said:

You should start a new account and play in Tier 4-5 for a while, then you'd understand why people want to move up and away from the quality of matches those tiers provide.

Sorry about the earlier reply. When you said don't fear laser, I thought you meant boat lasers.

I've gone through 2/3 of tier 4 on my narc raven in pub queue. I had great fun. I've seen my share of derp teams and I've also paired up with great ones. You KNOW keeping a positive W/L ratio in 15pt dmg Raven in pub queue is not easy but I had fun doing it.

I can level up in 1/2 the time running my Atlas and WHM but doing solo face dmg doesn't appeal to me as much as seeing good team work wreck face together. I doubt team work is any better at Tier 1 than at Tier 4 since a lot of people rose through the rank by doing just solo dakka rambos and I don't expect alpha warriors suddenly turn team player once the magic of Tier 1 shines down on their account.

Anyway, what I'm saying is, why chase the tier level? As long as you can pull your weight in a team fight, play the way you want. Going meta just to level faster for level's sake is silly. If PGI suddenly gives OP tier 1 tomorrow, then what? Doesn't mean a thing really.

#14 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:34 PM

Yes matches get way better than that in upper tier. If your in an assult ask the other assaults to stick close and ask for other players to back you up. Then don't run way but make them sticking with you worth it for them.

Only advice I can give and it may not always work. If its really bad take a faster mech....

Leveling up assaults is always hard and to be expected....

Finding the right load out for any mech is a challenge and doing really well in a mech more often than not wont happen until that mech is mastered with full modules, which can cost a fortune.

The best mech with the best load out, fully equipped and many many matches experience and it can still go really badly... but at this point a player has a lot of say in that to a degree.

I was just in a fixed match where an entire lance on my team did a total of like 150 damage. That's 150 for 4 mechs in top tier. We still wiped the other team out and it was an 8 v 12 at best. If one of the players that did nothing on my team was onc omms with the other team it was 8 v 13. We wiped the floor with them. No it wasn't a stomp it was a close match a very close match, but all things considered 8 on my team did very awesome.

Edited by Johnny Z, 03 March 2016 - 09:43 PM.

#15 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 03:47 AM

View PostSQW, on 03 March 2016 - 09:30 PM, said:

Anyway, what I'm saying is, why chase the tier level? As long as you can pull your weight in a team fight, play the way you want. Going meta just to level faster for level's sake is silly. If PGI suddenly gives OP tier 1 tomorrow, then what? Doesn't mean a thing really.

The reason you go up with intention and purpose to to get away from the derp-filled games and start fighting opponents of better skill levels because you are never going to get better at the game if you keep yourself stuck in the low tier loops. And you can literally get stuck in low tiers if you aren't putting exceptional numbers every match because you are for more likely to drop with a greater number of players that can't carry their own weight in any shape or form.

As far as the teamwork in T2/T1 goes - it will be quite a bit better naturally, because that's the nature of playing in higher skill tiers in a team based game. The huge difference is that the majority of the time you are going to be facing people that actually know how to play the game and don't run trashy builds because they actually want to win matches.

#16 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 March 2016 - 04:04 AM

People really have no clues about tiers. The tier bar has not only 5 steps, it is fluent.

Think of it in 1000s. So being at edge of Tier 3/2 is like having 2990 PSR points.

And the matchmaker bulds matches with an average of roughly 250 PSR points difference between the best and worst player in the match.120 points on NA prime time, 1200 points on Oceanic in non-prime time.

So if you are at Tier 3 with 2990 points you get matches with people of 2865-3115

And if you are in Tier 2 with 3010 points you get matches in the range of 2885-3135

It does not suddenly get different if you enter Tier 2 or any other tier.

Edited by TexAce, 04 March 2016 - 04:08 AM.

#17 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 04 March 2016 - 04:07 AM

View Postsycocys, on 03 March 2016 - 08:29 PM, said:

Well it does and doesn't get better to be totally honest.

But to your point of getting out of the tier (I'm just going to go ahead an assume 4 or 5) - the trick is simple, especially simple in those two tiers.
Pick one of the following mechs -
Timberwolf - I prefer dual uac10 and a few srms
Mauler - 4 ultra5 or 5 ac5
KGC - 4 ultra5
Warhawk - 2 ultra10, 2-3 srm6
Direwolf - 6 ultra5 or 4 ultra5, 2 ultra10, or 4 ultra5, 1 ultra10, 1 ulltra20

Then drop in and proceed to dump 600+ dakka damage into the faces of your enemy in every match until you reach your desired tier. Tier 5 and Tier 4 will be an absolute breeze. Tier 3 will take some work, but 50% of the time you'll drop against low tier opponents which will give you huge boosts - and against the better ones just aim for ~500 damage or a little less and 1 kill.

You forgot the Jagermech. My stock weapon JM6-S is easily my highest scoring mech by far, often getting 600-800 damage as it has those underpowered AC's that everyone seems to want buffed Posted Image

#18 Phra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 233 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 04:11 AM

Playing slow assaults is a liability in yoloq, has nothing to do with nascaring itself.

I've been playing this game since closed beta, and just recently mastered the Dires because it's so much pain in the ***. I don't even have a single Atlas basiced, every time I try to play one my life expectancy shortens by about 2 weeks.

It takes a special kinda animal to enjoy playing a 100 tonner in solo drops, if you are not one of them, don't force it I'd say.

#19 SQW

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 04:13 AM

View Postsycocys, on 04 March 2016 - 03:47 AM, said:

As far as the teamwork in T2/T1 goes - it will be quite a bit better naturally, because that's the nature of playing in higher skill tiers in a team based game. The huge difference is that the majority of the time you are going to be facing people that actually know how to play the game and don't run trashy builds because they actually want to win matches.

Tier isn't a good indication of skill tbh. Sure, a really bad player would be stuck in his/her tier but even the mediocre will progress - just very slowly. A large win will generate enough positive PSR to cancel multiple bad losses so if you maintain a 50/50 ratio, you'll progress.
Tier 1 is more a indication of someone having the time to grind out hundreds of games rather than being better than other other 4 tiers.

#20 Isolani

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 05:37 AM

My advice, if you are playing pub queue, is to play heavies. There's a reason 40-60% of the pub queue at any given time is heavies. Lots of damage + reasonably good speed = good match scores.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users