416 replies to this topic

#41 Ivan Romatovich Kerensky

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 44 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 March 2016 - 01:37 PM

+1 for the Tbolt's and Quickdraws. All afforable and solid performers. Good work horse mechs for skill building.

#42 Lord Creston

• PipPipPip
  • Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 04:37 PM

I'd like to throw out the idea of a new channel group that will mark the pilot as Certified for the channel... This will allow you to make a berzerker channel, or any other channel and then set the pilot as Certified for the channel. It would only be asthetic, such as a badge icon, but could quickly identify pilots in the channel as good to go without adding many tags in every channel as we add more flair. Also this would allow individual units to use the tag in their own channels for special purposes. Adding just 1-3 channel groups would cover lots of scenarios that way.

Also we would let the rka majors set those tags.

The proposed deck is very similar to our recommended is deck. Lovin it. Sweet if we could fields several companies of these on a big offensive

#43 Jarl Dane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationJarnFolk Cluster

Posted 06 March 2016 - 06:05 PM

I'd like to think of it as part of the progression of being in the FRR.
Something for people to work towards.

#44 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 06:22 PM

View PostMech The Dane, on 06 March 2016 - 06:05 PM, said:

I'd like to think of it as part of the progression of being in the FRR.
Something for people to work towards.

People like ladder progression. The lack of it is a big part of why CW feels like it has 'no purpose'. No goals to work toward.

Having a progression of awards for performance, confirmed ability to post up in and perform in skill tiered decks, that's all very good stuff. Nothing 'required' about it, just some goals and skill milestones for people to work toward.

#45 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 706 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:34 PM

I would build the decks just to be a team player in CW (and to win more) - not sure how good those mechs will be in regular quickplay.
But I don't have enough mech bays, not even close... Maybe I should buy 4 bays. I'll give it a thought.

Edited by DavidStarr, 07 March 2016 - 01:48 AM.

#46 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,472 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 07 March 2016 - 04:28 AM

View PostDavidStarr, on 06 March 2016 - 10:34 PM, said:

I would build the decks just to be a team player in CW (and to win more) - not sure how good those mechs will be in regular quickplay.
But I don't have enough mech bays, not even close... Maybe I should buy 4 bays. I'll give it a thought.

All mechs and builds in both of those dropdecks are excellent in regular play too.

#47 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 706 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 07 March 2016 - 06:18 AM

I suppose it depends on the pilot. I already have negative experience of following mech purchasing recommendations, but as I said - it's not really a problem, the problem is C-bills and MCs.
Think I'll keep a close eye on how this initiative develops, and if people in my timezone do start dropping unified decks (esp. the stormtrooper one) - I'll pour some $$$ in and join.

Edited by DavidStarr, 07 March 2016 - 06:18 AM.

#48 Kin3ticX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 07 March 2016 - 06:35 AM

This is how I envision the Dane as he assembled his Quickdraw armies

(including the muscles and thors hammer)

Edited by Kin3ticX, 07 March 2016 - 06:37 AM.

#49 DaemonWulfe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:49 AM

View PostKin3ticX, on 07 March 2016 - 06:35 AM, said:

This is how I envision the Dane as he assembled his Quickdraw armies

(including the muscles and thors hammer)

I just got a freedom ***** from watching this...

Freedom erection....damn censors...

#50 Gaussfather

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 310 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:39 AM

Nice FRR initiative for newbies and experienced CW players!

CW is still kind of a grind it out game... so for me using XL engines in anything bigger than a medium mech is gimping your dropdeck and risking your longevity in the fight. Shadowhawks seem to be an exception as they spread damage better than most mechs with an XL... but I only run it like that for hot maps with UAC5/AC5 builds.

I know that CW is dominated by laser vomit builds, but there are still reasons to develop IS Dakka builds for the hot maps and for brawling or for stopping gen rushes (you can fire continuously without overheating).

I've really had fun using Marauders lately with standard engines, specifically the 3R w 3AC5s and the Bounty Hunter with AC20. High mounts for the ballistics. They tank well due to the side torso shape. The nice thing is that they have good durability and enough energy hardpoints to mount a decent number of medium lasers, and they work very well on most maps regardless of temperature.

BOUNTY HUNTER II (tip: put the AC20 and Medium pulse on 1 trigger, Mediums on the other 1 or 2 triggers)

I'm also surprised that the Zeus was left off the list... they tank and play very well for an 80 ton mech. You have a good shield side and a center mount for a Large Pulse laser so that you can "Zombie mech" until the end...

ZEU-9S

Edited by Gaussfather, 07 March 2016 - 12:26 PM.

#51 Jarl Dane

• Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 12:16 PM

View PostDavidStarr, on 07 March 2016 - 06:18 AM, said:

I suppose it depends on the pilot. I already have negative experience of following mech purchasing recommendations, but as I said - it's not really a problem, the problem is C-bills and MCs.
Think I'll keep a close eye on how this initiative develops, and if people in my timezone do start dropping unified decks (esp. the stormtrooper one) - I'll pour some $$$ in and join.

I definitely recommend newer players only worry about the Beginner Drop. Thunderbolts and Blackjacks should be a sound investment for players of any skill level in CW.

The advanced deck is best served by more veteran players.

#52 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 706 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 07 March 2016 - 01:40 PM

View PostMech The Dane, on 07 March 2016 - 12:16 PM, said:

The advanced deck is best served by more veteran players.

Fair enough. Point taken.

#53 Sabertooth1966

• PipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 92 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 07 March 2016 - 02:31 PM

I know that this is not supposed to be open for discution and all, but I have been mulling this over since this thread started and have to ask. The base drop deck is supposed to be for beginner or "lesser skill" players correct? If so why all of the XL engines? I know they allow for greater speed with a bigger bunch however they also require a greater level of skill to stay alive with. If you get caught wrong with the IS Xl and they take out a side torso your dead, If you use a standard your less whatever weapons are on that side but can still contribute to the team. No critisism intended I was just wondering if any one had thought of this fact.

Just realized that I didn't clarify that the above only applies to the blackjacks.

Edited by Sabertooth1966, 07 March 2016 - 02:38 PM.

#54 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 March 2016 - 04:08 PM

View PostDavidStarr, on 06 March 2016 - 10:34 PM, said:

I'm not a fan of Quickdraws myself, but they hold up just fine:

Posted Image

and yes, definitely buy mechbays. I've been F2P since I started, the only bottleneck is mechbays. I've earned upwards of 60 of them for free, but you'll save yourself a lot of trouble by just buying some MC and waiting for a 50%-off mechbay sale. 150MC per mechbay is a damn good deal, so splurge when you get the opportunity.

#55 Dan Nashe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 606 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 04:30 PM

This may be dumb and I may be a spy, but:

Did I read this right:
Beginner: 3 tbolts and a blackjack (240 tons out of 260 available).
Advanced: 3 quickdraws and a black knight (255 of 260).

?

I'm not sure if I misunderstood or if the plan was to run 240 tons light? (12 x 20). I'm bad at cw so I am not trying to claim you are wrong if so, it just surprised me.

#56 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 04:32 PM

View PostTarogato, on 07 March 2016 - 04:08 PM, said:

I'm not a fan of Quickdraws myself, but they hold up just fine:

Posted Image

and yes, definitely buy mechbays. I've been F2P since I started, the only bottleneck is mechbays. I've earned upwards of 60 of them for free, but you'll save yourself a lot of trouble by just buying some MC and waiting for a 50%-off mechbay sale. 150MC per mechbay is a damn good deal, so splurge when you get the opportunity.

lol. I have bought so many mech bays on sale I literally forgot they were 300 and not 150. I was thinking 'that math doesn't add up, you get like 8 for $7 of MC'.

We need a mech bay sale.

View PostDan Nashe, on 07 March 2016 - 04:30 PM, said:

Did I read this right:

?

I'm not sure if I misunderstood or if the plan was to run 240 tons light? (12 x 20). I'm bad at cw so I am not trying to claim you are wrong if so, it just surprised me.

Not all mechs are equal. Lots of people run their decks light. While you're giving up 20 tons the Thud/BJ deck is a rock solid performer on every map.

For context I have 14 mechs outfitted for CW right now that I mix and match based on map and team. I could probably bump that to 30 but those are the ones I like. That's sorta the ideal goal, eventually. Having the best tools for the job.

Starting out though getting Thuds and BJs will get you the right tools to make the cbills to fill out a more customized deck.

#57 habu86

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 248 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 04:33 PM

Did I read this right:

?

That might have been left over from an earlier iteration. Just drop a fourth Tbolt instead of the Blackjack and you'll be good.

#58 Jarl Dane

• Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 04:51 PM

View PostSabertooth1966, on 07 March 2016 - 02:31 PM, said:

Just realized that I didn't clarify that the above only applies to the blackjacks.

Blackjacks have structural quirks that make their side torsos rather tanky, also it is much easier to hit a blackjack in their CT so more often then not they will be CT cored out. It is a powerful mech with low weight requirements. Despite the XL it is still new-player friendly, and probably a good mech for new players to get used to XL play styles.

In my post I say you can currently drop 4 Thunderbolts. However, tonnages are variable and over the long run you may get more usage out of a 3x Thunderbolt 1x BJ drop because you cannot drop 4 Thunderbolts. Which is why I provide both mechs, it gives you some elasticity as things change.

#59 Starbomber109

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 387 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:30 PM

If I hate thunderbolts can I just go straight for the quickdraws? I know you recommend the Tbolts for beginners but I've tried the Tbolt and I don't like it at all. It's alpha doesn't feel that strong and I donno if I'm spoiled from my 100s of games in Centurions or if I'm just bad but the Tbolt feels slow to twist.

#60 Jarl Dane

• Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:36 PM

View PostStarbomber109, on 07 March 2016 - 08:30 PM, said:

If I hate thunderbolts can I just go straight for the quickdraws? I know you recommend the Tbolts for beginners but I've tried the Tbolt and I don't like it at all. It's alpha doesn't feel that strong and I donno if I'm spoiled from my 100s of games in Centurions or if I'm just bad but the Tbolt feels slow to twist.

If you want, sure, but be aware the Qucikdraws have similar alphas to the Thunderbolts and are less tanky. They are less beginner friendly, but, at this moment, some of the best mechs in the game - so maybe it'll work for you.

MINOR UPDATE:
After a lengthy discussion with Lord Creston of 2323 I've added this Grasshopper-5H build as an alternative to the Black Knight in the 4th 'Mech slot.

With similar speed, weight and firepower it is a viable option that will not upset a Stromtrooper 12 man drop. So you can either have 3 Quickdraws and Black Knight, or 3 Quickdraws and Grasshopper.

ALSO:

The Stormtrooper reporting channel has been set up. It is at the bottom of the hub, merely add a Screen Shot of your Stormtrooper deck and you'll get the Stromtrooper badge (currently a white hand).

Posted Image

^ As you can see right now I have posted my deck along with Mechronomicon.

Here's what my screenshot looks like:
Posted Image

Edited by Mech The Dane, 07 March 2016 - 10:45 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users