23 replies to this topic

#1 MechZ1lla

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationOver there. No. Over there.

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:39 PM

...but, I decided to take another whirl at this.

Things have changed so much it's not even funny.

My main questions are; what happened to my faction picture? I chose Steiner at the beginning, but that's gone both on forum as well as in game.

I miss my big blue fist.

I seem to have gotten a Centurion and a King Crab from somewhere.

And my Founder's badge is missing.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over?

EDIT: Okay, THERE'S my Founder's badge.

Edited by Winterknight, 03 March 2016 - 08:40 PM.

#2 p4r4g0n

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:55 PM

Factions were re-set for Phase 1 & 2 of CW. Re-choose your faction in the game client under Faction Play.

Centurion and King Crab are rewards given out to players for spending money on the game during a specific period under the 1 Year Customer Appreciation Program

#3 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:03 PM

The King Crab is a great 'mech, too - you should work them up to make use of the loyalty variant's c-bill bonus. =)

#4 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 04 March 2016 - 12:48 AM

if you have the Centurian and King Crab you should also have the Atlas AS7-S.

You can choose Steiner under the faction page, you can take a permanent contract by pledging loyalty or you can do the "Mechbay Tour" in Faction Play by taking 1 week contracts and reaching rank 2 for a free bay with each faction, you should be able to do that in 2 evenings play.

#5 Thomas Covenant

• 1,186 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationOn an adventure.

Posted 04 March 2016 - 02:11 AM

Hijacking, or... Piggy-backing this thread, if you don't mind.

My name is Thomas Covenant. It seems my last message was late(November) of 2013.

I wanted to say, that while I did join the bandwagon of 3rd person protesters, something I believe we were right about. I feel I may have alienated some people I cared about, mods, friends and so forth.

I do not apologize for bandwagoning, we were right. However in the years I did play MWO on my college computers every night after classes, was some of the most 3D multiplayer fun ever. And I think when I did leave, I did not express my gratitude to the designers, public relations, and fellow community members for that dear experience.

If I knew some MW lore I'd make an epic sign off.

Instead

Pew Pew

~Golden Boy

#6 MechZ1lla

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 358 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:44 AM

I was wondering where the S variant came from...nice paint job. Kinda 40k-ish.

Thanks for the info, folks. We'll see how badly I suck at this following a few years of WoT and WoWs.

EDIT: Any advice on what I should look at mech wise?

Edited by Winterknight, 04 March 2016 - 08:53 AM.

#7 p4r4g0n

• Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:24 AM

Depends on what your immediate goals are.

If you just want to build up C-Bills, XP and GXP to acquire and equip more mechs, concentrate on whichever class you do best in. Currently, damage done is a big component in determining earnings.

If you want to play Faction Play (aka Community Warfare), you can't go wrong with Thunderbolts (IS) / Timberwolves (Clan).

#8 MechZ1lla

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 358 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:57 AM

Grabbed the Thunderbolt as I didn't have enough to grab the T-Wolf (yet). We'll see how I do once I get on. Thanks again.

#9 p4r4g0n

• Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 04 March 2016 - 10:04 AM

You may want to look into the builds suggested in this thread i.e. the Beginner dropdeck.

If you want to go full meta, check out metamech's IS Dropship Ladder

Since you bought the Thunderbolts, suggest you go with the Beginner dropdeck as metamech's suggested dropdecks normally involve using duplicate mechs which you may wish to avoid if you have limited mech bays.

Good luck, have fun and see you on the battlefield

Edited by p4r4g0n, 04 March 2016 - 10:05 AM.

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 11:54 AM

View PostWinterknight, on 03 March 2016 - 08:39 PM, said:

...but, I decided to take another whirl at this.

On factions DO NOT PLEDGE LOYALTY!!!!!!!

Instead sign up for "weeks".

At least until CW phase 3.

Then CW will mean something and changing after a pledge is EXPENSIVE.

#11 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 04 March 2016 - 12:10 PM

View PostWinterknight, on 04 March 2016 - 08:44 AM, said:

I was wondering where the S variant came from...nice paint job. Kinda 40k-ish.

That's because 40K's Space Marines draw from some of the same artistic themes. The three loyalty 'mechs are themed on the three primary Norns of Norse legend - Skuld, Urd, and Verdandi. These names are inscribed on the 'mechs, with the Atlas additionally bearing "Urdarbrunnr," the well of fate.

#12 MechZ1lla

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 358 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 04:09 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 04 March 2016 - 12:10 PM, said:

That's because 40K's Space Marines draw from some of the same artistic themes. The three loyalty 'mechs are themed on the three primary Norns of Norse legend - Skuld, Urd, and Verdandi. These names are inscribed on the 'mechs, with the Atlas additionally bearing "Urdarbrunnr," the well of fate.

Well, that explains much. I'm more of a Celtic bent, but this works.

#13 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 04 March 2016 - 06:51 PM

I think you get the three fate sisters in multiple mythologies. =)

Heck, you get them in Shakespeare...

#14 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 04 March 2016 - 07:40 PM

Those first-year loyalty mechs' paint jobs ARE fantastic. Got the Atlas, King Crab, and Centurion. BEAUTIFUL work.

I can kinda do without the textures, and DEFINITELY without the paint, on the second-year ones (Cicada, Wolverine, Nova, and Zeus).

Hey, WELCOME BACK, Winterknight! I once did kinda like you, and took a 16-month hiatus to hide out on Pandora with the Vault Hunters of "Borderlands". Left before the Clan Invasion, came back to CW phase 2 and invasion wave 3 and all that. Things ARE better, believe it or not. At least I think so.

So, we used to holler for a true 12v12, and we got it. Now some are calling for 8v8 or 4v4, and we're even GETTING a 4v4 companion mode for CW in phase 3 (April, IIRC). The more things change, right?

We hollered for more mechs. Well, we're getting more every month, and now some folks are complaining that it's too much.

We wanted useful Flamers. Just got those, and half the community is about to QQ over them (if you believe forum posts).

We keep asking for MOAR BALANS. PGI keeps giving us, well, SOMETHING along those lines, and we keep whining all DO NOT WANT.

We're a tough crowd to please, and at least THAT hasn't changed. Not sure you'll be pleased with that, but there IS something to be said for consistency.

QUIRKS! Oh my lord, the Quirkening and the Re-Quirkening! Remember way back, when only a handful of mechs had any quirks at all, and they weren't a huge deal? Now EVERY IS mech, and a lot of the Clan omnipods, have quirks. Almost any mech can be a beast (though the Zeus is still the Zeus, and the Awesome is still anything BUT awesome) if built to take advantage of its quirks and piloted by the right mechwarrior.

Take your time getting back into the game. TDR is a good chassis, even if the latest quirk pass wasn't exactly kind to it. They're fun enough, and fit wonderfully into a drop deck for CW right now (at 260 tons max, you can actually run FOUR TDRs if you're so inclined).

Keep us posted on how it's going for you!

#15 MechZ1lla

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 358 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 11:00 AM

Well, made the mistake of trying Faction play. ROFLstomped doesn't even begin to describe it.

These hands are a might rusty...

#16 Duvanor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 477 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 11:03 PM

Do not worry about it. CW is very different from public drops. Get back in the game on public and get a working dropdeck. you might want to do some drops CW in between though so get some inspiration on what works there and what not to get the mechs you want to use there later.

Edited by Duvanor, 05 March 2016 - 11:04 PM.

#17 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 05 March 2016 - 11:52 PM

View PostWinterknight, on 05 March 2016 - 11:00 AM, said:

Well, made the mistake of trying Faction play. ROFLstomped doesn't even begin to describe it.

It gets better, and quickly.

When I came back, a teammate kinda coached me through my first few CW drops. (Thanks, {QQ} Chowda!) First tip? Set goals. Start with 1,000 damage, then 1.500, and so on.

Don't sweat the whole master-all-four-mechs-and-module-them thing. I've leveled more mechs than not, IN CW. 3 Battlemasters, 2 Thunderbolts, a couple Storm Crows, 3 Warhammers, CPLT-K2, all the Blackjacks, and so on. A lot of my mechs have been played less than half a dozen times outside of CW, and are in or finished with the ELITE skills. Great thing about CW, is that there's a TRUCKLOAD of XP to be had in a win with a decent performance, and fewer mechs played means more XP per mech. An average player can haul 1,000,000 CBills in a CW match, minus consumable modules (should he/she choose to use them). Just build your mechs as well as you can for now, and go have fun.

But yeah, it's a pretty good idea to knock the dust off in QUICK PLAY. It'll come back to you pretty quickly.

#18 p4r4g0n

• Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 06 March 2016 - 02:04 AM

View PostWinterknight, on 05 March 2016 - 11:00 AM, said:

Think I was in one of the drops with you and honestly, that was a terrible one with a certain someone shooting off his mouth all the while.

Having said that, they're not all that bad so don't give up on it.

#19 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 03:32 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 04 March 2016 - 12:10 PM, said:

Explains the naming conventions on Ah! My Goddess!
Skuld, Urd and "Belldandy" which rolls off the tongue a little easier.

#20 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 06 March 2016 - 07:01 AM

Especially if you're Japanese. =) Those always seemed like odd names to me at the time, too.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users