#41 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 04 March 2016 - 07:51 AM

View PostMechWarrior849305, on 03 March 2016 - 11:39 PM, said:

Posted Image I've just... LOLed. To have scouts... for what? To cap enemy base instead? Yeah, what a twist Posted Image

Furthermore - have scouts in PUG match, where you have to deal with what mechs PGI random gave to your team.

The same demand as to ask for TEAMPLAY in PUG matches Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Just because you have the charisma of a rock does not mean no one else knows how to properly command a ragtag band.

#42 Miodog

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 91 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:03 AM

Why does assault have to have two bases? Did PGI ever try random assignment to either attack or defend and have just one base per map?

#43 WarHippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:12 AM

View PostSigilum Sanctum, on 03 March 2016 - 10:38 PM, said:

I hardly ever vote for Assault because theres always this collection of potatoes who instantly want to cap.

Like, why?

No ones getting paid *******.

This is why voting is such BS. I hate skirmish and prefer Assault over either of the other two although I do also like Conquest. I always found Assault to be the more interesting mode and it allows you to avoid the nonsense that is some ECM mech running and hiding at the end of a Skirmish match(seems to happen to me a lot). With the voting crap I have to spend several games playing Skirmish just so I can finally play Assault and all people do is *****, or purposefully try and make it a bad experience for everyone so that nobody will vote for it in the future. So long as people are being forced to play modes they do not want the quality of the game play will continue to suffer and degrade.

#44 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:28 AM

View PostWarHippy, on 04 March 2016 - 08:12 AM, said:

So long as people are being forced to play modes they do not want the quality of the game play will continue to suffer and degrade.

While I´ve always said that I´ll play whatever I get becasue a Warrior doesn´t have the luxury of choice, when I have to play skirmish after skirmish after skirmish after skirmish my brain starts looking for other things to do, which usually leads to me minimizing the client and smurfying mechs that I don´t really need or even want, or posting here on the forums... all things that increase other people´s wait times because it´s another player less due to boring repitition of the same mindless gamemode. And I´m probably not the only one, either....

Further compounded by finally getting something other than skirmish and in reality getting a deathball and 3 people that actually understand the rules.....

To be honest, I´d much rather wait twice as long like I used to and have a match that has at least a small chance of being the match I wanted to play, instead of playing Quake in mechs for hours on end...

#45 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:09 AM

View PostWarHippy, on 04 March 2016 - 08:12 AM, said:

This is why voting is such BS. I hate skirmish and prefer Assault over either of the other two although I do also like Conquest. I always found Assault to be the more interesting mode and it allows you to avoid the nonsense that is some ECM mech running and hiding at the end of a Skirmish match(seems to happen to me a lot). With the voting crap I have to spend several games playing Skirmish just so I can finally play Assault and all people do is *****, or purposefully try and make it a bad experience for everyone so that nobody will vote for it in the future. So long as people are being forced to play modes they do not want the quality of the game play will continue to suffer and degrade.

View PostZerberus, on 04 March 2016 - 08:28 AM, said:

While I´ve always said that I´ll play whatever I get becasue a Warrior doesn´t have the luxury of choice, when I have to play skirmish after skirmish after skirmish after skirmish my brain starts looking for other things to do ...

Well, my "Three Skirmish Fights and I'm Done With MWO for the Day" rule is still very much in effect. It has the added benefit of giving me time to do other things. Posted Image

#46 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 04 March 2016 - 12:01 PM

View PostThunderbird Anthares, on 03 March 2016 - 11:34 PM, said:

or, maybe, you know... have scouts...

That would require someone to take a light mech...

View PostZerberus, on 04 March 2016 - 08:28 AM, said:

While I´ve always said that I´ll play whatever I get becasue a Warrior doesn´t have the luxury of choice, when I have to play skirmish after skirmish after skirmish after skirmish...

Wish I had your luck...all I get is conquest, conquest, conquest, conquest...and I really hate conquest...

If you can get PGI to put mode pre-selection back in...I promise I will stay in skirmish only...

#47 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 04 March 2016 - 12:09 PM

It´s not that I hate skirmish,. I just find it boring the same way I find the fun maps in CS boring... I´ll play 2 maybe 3 back to back, partly because it´s nice practice and a bit of a change of pace... but if I don´t get a de_ or cs_ map pretty soon after that I´ll be on a different server in the near future. Posted Image

Edited by Zerberus, 04 March 2016 - 12:10 PM.

#48 Snowbluff

• Bad Company
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:15 PM

I don't like losing a 2 minute match and the getting 0 Cbills.

Down with assault !

#49 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:22 PM

Lowest Common Denominator SocietyPosted Image

#50 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:24 PM

I hate Assault. Once Skirmish was released, it became outmoded. The only times it was interesting were prior to Skirmish and when it had turrets and the like. Now it's just lousy game mode that doesn't net any C-bills and always ends with a very one-sided and incredibly frustrating loss for one team, along with an easy and somewhat disappointing win for the other team.

I'll admit, that I'm one of the aggravated players who hates the mode. I like Skirmish and I like Conquest; I don't like the stupid hybrid that Assault represents. I would rather fight it out or cap it out legitimately and not play with teams that hover over their base or freak out as soon as their spawn starts getting capped. Nearly every Assault match I've played in the last four months has been a freakish waste of my time; I dearly miss being able to disable Assault as a possible game mode.

#51 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:28 PM

View PostZerberus, on 04 March 2016 - 07:34 AM, said:

Discussion about the cap mechanic itself aside, I much prefer Assault and conquest to skirmish and always have.

Skirmish is what we had in the very beginning of closed Beta. The same "run and hide" mentality that people complain about today is the reason it was replaced by today`s assault. And for a week or so everyone was happy when that happened.

Then sometime later conquest was introduced. Shortly after, the cap whining on assault as we know it today started. This was, what, 2011-2012 IIRC?

Eventually skirmish was reintroduced a bit more than a year later , and turrets were intorduced to assault to further differentiate it. Cap times overall were lengthened to the point where a heavy mech could not realisticly cap without a module and still get into the fight on conquest . That´s how hard the overall capwhining was, so hard that in the process of appeasing a few excessively vocal few it literally invalidated the gameplay design of another unrelated mode for I think 3 -4 months or so.... Despite the cap points being moved closer together on many maps, most notably Alpine, also predominatly as a direct result of the low-engine-low brain-high alpha crowd that "can´t get anywhere fast enough to make a difference" that was now in their Deathball heaven called Skirmish.

Then the turrets were suddenly too hard (and admittedly, they did cheat pretty hard), turning assault into skirmish with a smaller area of operations because the base could only realistically be taken with a full lance or more. Just like the whiners wanted... But THEY were all now tied um in their Hulk Smash Mech skirmish matches and couldn´t have been happier... except for their new boogeyman, the one assault removed, the "run and hide last mech".

So, eventually turrets were removed from assault again, who knows how many weeks if not months of dev time wasted, just becasue we have a lot of entitled players that shout and flame harder than they think. And as a direct result, here we sit today, having the exact same discussions we had 3 years ago, and the game has barely moved forward...

And most of the whiners STILL haven´t learned how to either not move away in the first place and defend, or simply return to base to do the same. Which is why they continue to whine instead of getting good.

Now they say "it´s becasue we have to play modes that aren´t skirmish". And THAT is complete ********, becasue many were still whining even while we still had mode selection.
Ironically, all assault as it stands today (and in its original implementation) does is expose just how tactically inept most players are, and most people don´t like having their own stupidity flashed in front of their eyes on a regular basis... the smart ones stop doing stupid things while the (generally more vocal) stupid ones try to complain until it´s easy enough that even they can understand it... which is why we have skirmish at all, and why we´ve come full circle on assault. Posted Image

I would actually propose leaving assault as it is, and making the "rework" into a new game mode altogether.... for example a melange between CW and current assault..... an actual base with some amount of reinforcement and maybe a turret or 2, maybe say 3 structures, one of which must be destroyed while the other 2 are "bonus targets"... but the defenders must actively leave the enclosure if they want to scout or rush, and once they do it´s open.

Solves the "standing in a square" argument from people with no imagination of abstract concepts.
Solves the "boohoo, fast lights and me need 5 minutes to turn around because only bought 200 engine" from people that don´t understand that the time to return is the same as the time you needed to get where you are (if it was one of those fabled instant cap rushes that suppposedly happen 30 seconds into every match).

Unfortunately, most of the other problems (with any game mode) can´t be solved by the devs, simply because their roots generally lie in ingorance and /or a false sense of entitlement and /or illusions of grandeur and /or utter user incompetence.

The problem is that this constant dumbing down of the game to the point where an infant can be competitive on an iPad is the slow death of teh Battletech and simulation aspects that many of os came here for in the first place.

TL;DR :MW:O has already gone from "The Thinking Man´s Shooter" to "The Drinking Man´s Shooter", I´m not really much a fan of making it even more "The Whining Man´s B***h" than it already is....

Posted Image

#52 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:38 PM

View PostSnowbluff, on 04 March 2016 - 01:15 PM, said:

I don't like losing a 2 minute match and the getting 0 Cbills.

Down with assault !

Well, defending you base not only gives you c-bills, you actually get to have the fight you crave for.

Of course, the above does assume you can aim.Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users