"i Don't Need To Play Another Grind Fest"

Skills

43 replies to this topic

#1 GeoFalke

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 05:52 AM

Guess I proved myself wrong on that one.

Dad played the old Mech Warrior with me on his knee years ago, and now I get to relive his glory days in the cockpit on my own.

Only have 3 days or so logged, but I'm hooked. Goodbye whatever free time Elite: Dangerous and World of Tanks had left over. Hello MWO.

See you all on the battlefields. <o

#2 TheCharlatan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 05:54 AM

Welcome to MWO.
Good hunting!

#3 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 04 March 2016 - 05:54 AM

Welcome!

MWO is a bit of a grind and the best advice would be to get a Hero mech. The 20% cbill bonus really helps!

#4 GeoFalke

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 05:59 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 04 March 2016 - 05:54 AM, said:

Welcome!

MWO is a bit of a grind and the best advice would be to get a Hero mech. The 20% cbill bonus really helps!

I figured the Hero mechs worked like premium tanks in Warthunder and World of Tanks, and I'm not against that. I'd just prefer to get a solid grasp on the game and on what types of mechs suit me best before spending what little actual money my tuition payments left over.

#5 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 04 March 2016 - 06:04 AM

View PostGeoFalke, on 04 March 2016 - 05:59 AM, said:

I figured the Hero mechs worked like premium tanks in Warthunder and World of Tanks, and I'm not against that. I'd just prefer to get a solid grasp on the game and on what types of mechs suit me best before spending what little actual money my tuition payments left over.

Good plan. Start with a medium mech most likely and stick with it.

If you do this then the " grind" will be minimal before your in a mech that once you have experience with it, you can do good in ANY match. Those other games have 1000x the grind this game has, literally, if you stick to a certain mech.

If you want a lot of maxed out mechs that's another thing all together....

Edited by Johnny Z, 04 March 2016 - 06:09 AM.

#6 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 04 March 2016 - 06:04 AM

Some of the Mastery Bundles can be had pretty cheaply and the new packs are $20 for 3 mechs so that is one of the better values in the game. I own Marauders and they are good and very versatile, a good purchase for $20. The Warhammer also seem solid but I don't own it, however, I think I'd stay away from the Rifleman in favor of Jagermechs.

#7 GeoFalke

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 06:08 AM

View PostLostdragon, on 04 March 2016 - 06:04 AM, said:

Some of the Mastery Bundles can be had pretty cheaply and the new packs are $20 for 3 mechs so that is one of the better values in the game. I own Marauders and they are good and very versatile, a good purchase for $20. The Warhammer also seem solid but I don't own it, however, I think I'd stay away from the Rifleman in favor of Jagermechs.

My first purchase was a Jagermech JM6-A :3

It took a little wiggling to find a loadout I liked, but now it has two (I think they are) U AC/5s, two LRM 5s and two med lasers in the torso.

playing it kinda like a US tank hull down in WoT has worked well for me. Just poke those high mount guns juuuust over a ridge and play peekaboom and fire off a few missile salvos when coming back down with the hill blocking the return fire. wait a bit to fall off the radar and do it again. Posted Image

Edited by GeoFalke, 04 March 2016 - 06:09 AM.

#8 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 04 March 2016 - 06:12 AM

MechWarrior is more about practice to get the experience to do good in a match more than unbalanced lvled equipment since there is no lvled equipment. :)

Ok, well theres modules but that's really fine tuning rather than traditional lvled equipment.

Edited by Johnny Z, 04 March 2016 - 06:14 AM.

#9 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 04 March 2016 - 06:14 AM

View PostGeoFalke, on 04 March 2016 - 06:08 AM, said:

My first purchase was a Jagermech JM6-A :3

It took a little wiggling to find a loadout I liked, but now it has two (I think they are) U AC/5s, two LRM 5s and two med lasers in the torso.

playing it kinda like a US tank hull down in WoT has worked well for me. Just poke those high mount guns juuuust over a ridge and play peekaboom and fire off a few missile salvos when coming back down with the hill blocking the return fire. wait a bit to fall off the radar and do it again. Posted Image

Jagermechs are good, still a very solid choice. Check out mechspecs.com and metamechs.com for build ideas.

#10 xTrident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 655 posts
  • LocationWork or Home

Posted 04 March 2016 - 06:16 AM

My first purchase (with cbills) was a Victor 9-S. At the time the Victors were still very good. Now with all the nerfs they pretty much suck. If I had to do it all over again I would have definitely gone for a medium or a smaller heavy for two reasons. #1 They're cheaper. To buy three assaults for quirk bonuses compared to three lights, mediums, or smaller heavies is a lot more cbills. #2 I'm actually much better in mediums in particular. I do just as much damage, if not more regularly. So that's what I would have done differently. Cicada all the way.

#11 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 March 2016 - 06:26 AM

If you have fun shooting robots, its never a grind fest. It was never for me.

#12 Elkfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 483 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 06:27 AM

I'd recommend using http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/ to play with builds, it can be pretty useful for seeing what fits and other information before buying a new mech (though there's a similar functionality in the Store now, just depends on your preference, I like Smurfy due to the organization of information).

#13 0bsidion

• 1,653 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 07:18 AM

It's only a grind if you play for any other reason than to have fun. If you play through the tutorial plus the starting cbill bonuses you'll have quite a bit of cbills to work with pretty quickly.

#14 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 04 March 2016 - 07:29 AM

Welcome to the Warrior's Club.

#15 GRiPSViGiL

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 04 March 2016 - 07:30 AM

View PostGeoFalke, on 04 March 2016 - 05:52 AM, said:

Guess I proved myself wrong on that one.

Dad played the old Mech Warrior with me on his knee years ago, and now I get to relive his glory days in the cockpit on my own.

Only have 3 days or so logged, but I'm hooked. Goodbye whatever free time Elite: Dangerous and World of Tanks had left over. Hello MWO.

See you all on the battlefields. <o

It is cool you enjoy the game "NOW" but please be someone who isn't just hooked to the grind or collecting redundant mechs. Gameplay is pretty stale since there isn't an acceptable end game yet. Have higher standards and help us push PGI to developing the long term. Collecting mechs is about all there is and they overwrite themselves after you have a few of the core chassis of each class rather quickly.

#16 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 04 March 2016 - 07:39 AM

This game has a steep learning curve, especially if you're used to other first-person shooters like Call of Duty and its clones, but it's a fun ride. The 15-minute matches are good.

To keep the fun rolling, I'd say ignore anyone who calls you a noob - chances are really good they're a pretty bad player who likes to cover their own shortcomings and terrible strategic thinking by lambasting their teammates.

Stay out of Community Warfare (Faction Play) until you have a solid handle on the controls, builds, fighting styles, can routinely pop off shoulders and legs (and whatever else you want) consistently, and probably until you've found a group of people to drop with (feel free to add me in the game and pop over to the Steiner Teamspeak hub). Just say you're new to the game and I, or someone else, will drop with you and show you around the place.

For mechs, before you buy something, I'd say drop those Trial mechs as they come out. More than just trying to figure out if you like that specific mech, see if you like the style it plays (fast, up-close brawler, longer range, lasers, ballistics, missiles, maneuverability etc). Once you have that sorted, THEN spend your C-Bills (or real bills) on a mech pack.

I recommend grinding up three (or more) of the same mech chassis before moving on to your next. You can unlock all the skills for those mech variants and they play completely differently. Don't judge a mech until you've unlocked ALL its skills all the way through Elite.

Final point: you'll make a "Cadet's Bonus" on your first 20 matches - DO NOT think this is the regular earning rate: it drops CONSIDERABLY after your grace period is over. I made the mistake of not realizing this some three years ago and bought a Cicada 3C right out of the gates. Took me FOREVER to grind enough funds to buy my next mech (a Stalker).

Have fun and welcome!

Edited by Dawnstealer, 04 March 2016 - 07:42 AM.

#17 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 04 March 2016 - 07:42 AM

Yep, find a chassis you like and then buy the hero.

#18 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:20 AM

Welcome!

View Postmogs01gt, on 04 March 2016 - 05:54 AM, said:

Welcome!

For the record, the bonus is 30%, I assume 20% was just a typo ;)

#19 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:54 AM

View PostGRiPSViGiL, on 04 March 2016 - 07:30 AM, said:

It is cool you enjoy the game "NOW" but please be someone who isn't just hooked to the grind or collecting redundant mechs. Gameplay is pretty stale since there isn't an acceptable end game yet. Have higher standards and help us push PGI to developing the long term. Collecting mechs is about all there is and they overwrite themselves after you have a few of the core chassis of each class rather quickly.

Please don't discourage people from just having fun -- newbies don't need to look immediately to any end game, whether you think it's an acceptable one or not. Perhaps being a collector is fun for the OP -- it certainly is for me.

#20 GeoFalke

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 10:00 AM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 04 March 2016 - 09:54 AM, said:

Please don't discourage people from just having fun -- newbies don't need to look immediately to any end game, whether you think it's an acceptable one or not. Perhaps being a collector is fun for the OP -- it certainly is for me.

I'm never really into "endgame" type things in any game I play. I find that "mid-high tier" is usually my sweet spot. Hell, I've played WoT since it left closed beta in 2011 and to this day I still only have one tier X tank. the rest is a huge amount of tier V-VIII, so I guess I'm more a collector than a grinder :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users