Great White Whales! I Call Upon Your Awesome Power To Bring About Change!

40 replies to this topic

#1 Soulstrom

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 844 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:51 PM

I would not say that I am one of the whales of MWO. Probably a baby whale or maybe even a Great White! Honestly I am to afraid to go through my receipts from this game and add them up. This is ignorance is bliss at it finest.

I said this when the Urbanmech was released. "he new pay model for mechs will become this." And oh, look it has happened. With the Kodiak I was okay as well as the Archer, Marauder, etc..but the Phoenix Hawk is just the wrong end of the micro transactions system. Now this thread isn't about that there are already to many of those. This one is about how PGI is using our fund to develop content. The new domination game mode has gotten so far under my skin that I have now felt something for this game that I never have before, disgust.

After years of dedicated play and pay this D+ game mode is what PGI has come up with. With everything available in the world of gaming technology, advanced interfaces and oh...heck...the internet which has thousands of iterations of King of the Hill for you to emulate this is what we can look forward too. My hopes for CW Phase 3 are now dashed [Yes I had Hopes and Dreams] and the last town hall really didn't inspire me.

So I believe it is time for the Great White Whales of MWO to take a stance and share their opinions with us the community at large. Why? Because they [like myself] purchase content and continue to fund this game with the dream of it becoming something spectacular only to receive a pile-of-slap-to-the-face.

So Great Whites, baby whales, forum warriors, and everyone else join this thread! Post your comments. Put up meaningful contributions and hopefully PGI will read this thread and start developing content that is meaningful and thoroughly thought-out with community feedback and support over the 2016 year. Because we all value our precious dollars and those baby greenbacks should not be sacrificed!

"Together we raise our glasses, to fight to force of chaos."TM

Edited by Soulstrom, 04 March 2016 - 02:21 PM.

#2 Soulstrom

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 844 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 02:18 PM

Item #1 for me would be to fix the forums. Make the structure more streamlined and updated the forum tools out of the Windows XP era.

#3 Imperius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 04 March 2016 - 02:30 PM

View PostSoulstrom, on 04 March 2016 - 01:51 PM, said:

I would not say that I am one of the whales of MWO. Probably a baby whale or maybe even a Great White! Honestly I am to afraid to go through my receipts from this game and add them up. This is ignorance is bliss at it finest.

I said this when the Urbanmech was released. "he new pay model for mechs will become this." And oh, look it has happened. With the Kodiak I was okay as well as the Archer, Marauder, etc..but the Phoenix Hawk is just the wrong end of the micro transactions system. Now this thread isn't about that there are already to many of those. This one is about how PGI is using our fund to develop content. The new domination game mode has gotten so far under my skin that I have now felt something for this game that I never have before, disgust.

After years of dedicated play and pay this D+ game mode is what PGI has come up with. With everything available in the world of gaming technology, advanced interfaces and oh...heck...the internet which has thousands of iterations of King of the Hill for you to emulate this is what we can look forward too. My hopes for CW Phase 3 are now dashed [Yes I had Hopes and Dreams] and the last town hall really didn't inspire me.

So I believe it is time for the Great White Whales of MWO to take a stance and share their opinions with us the community at large. Why? Because they [like myself] purchase content and continue to fund this game with the dream of it becoming something spectacular only to receive a pile-of-slap-to-the-face.

So Great Whites, baby whales, forum warriors, and everyone else join this thread! Post your comments. Put up meaningful contributions and hopefully PGI will read this thread and start developing content that is meaningful and thoroughly thought-out with community feedback and support over the 2016 year. Because we all value our precious dollars and those baby greenbacks should not be sacrificed!

"Together we raise our glasses, to fight to force of chaos."TM

Ummm, minus the Mad Cat MK II everything I have asked for (for the most part) is being done to the game. They do listen, as long as it's an actual contribution to the game and not someones 5 page essay on "balance". Though I believe the steam launch was premature and if they had a single player out before it's launch they may have retained more users. We will never know so I can't say I was right, but oh well.

#4 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 04 March 2016 - 02:30 PM

Well I've been pushing for a power draw mechanic to replace ghost heat for years so... maybe PGI will realize I'm right about everything else as well...

#5 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 04 March 2016 - 02:34 PM

I'm pretty happy with the game right now. Sure they're not doing EVERYTHING right but I still derive great joy from this game and find more good about it than I do bad. My biggest complaint is going to seem silly to a lot of you, but it is my biggest gripe. I love light mechs. I love them lots. I was promise a Flea a long, long time ago. It never came. As far as I can tell, it's never going to come. PGI, give me my gosh danged Flea.

#6 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 04 March 2016 - 02:40 PM

View PostMole, on 04 March 2016 - 02:34 PM, said:

I'm pretty happy with the game right now. Sure they're not doing EVERYTHING right but I still derive great joy from this game and find more good about it than I do bad. My biggest complaint is going to seem silly to a lot of you, but it is my biggest gripe. I love light mechs. I love them lots. I was promise a Flea a long, long time ago. It never came. As far as I can tell, it's never going to come. PGI, give me my gosh danged Flea.

It might come, with the engine update, might, the current issue is that they can't put the flea in without nerfing it's speed making the MASC on it completely useless.

#7 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 04 March 2016 - 02:44 PM

View PostSoulstrom, on 04 March 2016 - 02:18 PM, said:

Item #1 for me would be to fix the forums. Make the structure more streamlined and updated the forum tools out of the Windows XP era.

I'd appreciate a proper "block" feature like all good forums have had for like...oh more than a decade. Simply put, some trolls, don't care to have them cluttering my posts. Be nice to have that basic function.

#8 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 04 March 2016 - 02:46 PM

^^ Im hoping that the new (or upgraded) engine will allow things like the Flea to become reality.

I´m also hoping that FW3 will bring something more than a grind and a title.

Note that hope =/= expect. My expectations of PGI are not high, though they have become much better at meeting stated goals (and communicating these beforehand) than they were in the Garth and Niko era.

And to a certain extent , my wallet is already closed, since there aren´t really anymore mechs that interest me... I may complete my Wave2 pack and pick up a Kodiak, but I honestly can´t see myself spending much more than that...then again, I didn´t expect to buy a lot of the things I did.. :D

ESPECIALLY if the game doesn´t slowly start to become a bit more immersive, make me feel like I´m doing something other than just jumping in a mech and randomly smashing a few other mechs for absolutely no purpose other than cbills... Even if your faction "wins" the entire Inner Sphere, what do you have to show for it?

That´s actually a good part of what´s keeping me away from spending more as is...

As far as pricing and marketing goes, they can do whatever they want. If I feel the package / mech is interesting and worth the money to me, I´ll buy it. If not, I won´t. Currently, I´m not

Edited by Zerberus, 04 March 2016 - 02:50 PM.

#9 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 02:46 PM

I must say, finally getting my ReScale, and across the board, has me pretty happy with one of my biggest peeves. Dynamic Weapons still need some modeling love, but it's more than a start.

Actual in game balance mechanics, well, those really need their own item by item discussions. Ditto Marketing.

#10 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 04 March 2016 - 02:47 PM

I see what you're asking for. You're saying it's time to bring back the mech packs.

8 Unseen Classic Clan mechs with 7 hero mechs per chassis and +12 reinforcement variants and +25 cockpit items and a special whale song warhorn, for the special price of $499! Now you're speaking my language!

I don't know. You'll probably have more impact starting a Twitter hashtag than trying to rally the forum.

#11 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 04 March 2016 - 02:49 PM

#1 Walk around the mechbay and see at least one of the mechs in scale.

#2 Pilot character creation.

#3 Comm wheel.

#12 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 02:55 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 04 March 2016 - 02:49 PM, said:

#1 Walk around the mechbay and see at least one of the mechs in scale.

#2 Pilot character creation.

#3 Comm wheel.

amen to all 3.

#4 Color Wheel in Camo Lab. Let us mix and match our own colors for a flat rate fer color mixed and unlocked. Replace current "Premium" color options with Premium Texture overlays instead.

#13 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,932 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 04 March 2016 - 03:00 PM

The ability to label and save premade drop decks in CW. That's it.

#14 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 04 March 2016 - 03:11 PM

The ability to save Mech Loadouts. Want to load my AC/20 Hunchback up. On click - done. Oh, do I want to use dual UAC5s this match? One click - done. Hey, maybe I want an AC/10 next match... One click - done.

Saved loadouts will drastically decrease Mechlab time and increase gaming time on the live servers.

More time in game, less time in Mechlab. That's how F2P games work - by keeping people in the game queue to reduce everyone's waiting times. The more time I spend in the mechlab, the less time I contribute to the playerbase 's gaming experience.

Heck, I am a massivly paying player, and know more about free player mechanics than PGI does, it seems.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 04 March 2016 - 03:12 PM.

#15 Aetes Nakatomi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 571 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire, England

Posted 04 March 2016 - 03:14 PM

Personally I like the new model. So far bought the top pack of all of them. But if another trash Mech that I hate comes out I won't end up owning it because I will skip it (Ice Ferret I'm looking at you...).

#16 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 04 March 2016 - 03:18 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 04 March 2016 - 02:44 PM, said:

I'd appreciate a proper "block" feature like all good forums have had for like...oh more than a decade. Simply put, some trolls, don't care to have them cluttering my posts. Be nice to have that basic function.

I'm RIGHT HERE, Bishop. This is so embarrassing.

And yeah, I'm probably a whale. I don't buy Clan stuff, so like you, I'm probably a minor whale. Maybe a dolphin? Dunno - but ALL the IS packs, I've bought at the highest level, and I own most of the IS heroes.

The Phoenix Hawk is an awesome mech, and that 45 ton slot is a damn good one, so I *might* be grabbing it, but...I mean, I have enough mechs, I feel like. There's only a couple left that I feel are must-buys for me. And there are features I'd love to see in the game, game modes, AI units, more maps, and so on, that are at least on the drawing board.

I'm not NOT buying because of any disappointment, but just because I feel like I've hit mass saturation. I'm still debating grabbing the PXH, but...dunno. Maybe.

#17 Soulstrom

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 844 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 03:34 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 04 March 2016 - 02:46 PM, said:

Ditto Marketing.

I would say that in the area of marketing they need to overhaul their strategy. Many of the top google results are from 2013 and those articles and game reviews are very salty.

#18 Shalune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCombination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell

Posted 04 March 2016 - 03:52 PM

I'm actually very happy with where the game's at. I agree King of the Hill was pretty harsh to see unveiled though, and highlighted one of the few major issues I have:

- Need for more thorough pre-launch testing -
This has been an ongoing problem with mechs as well. It's impossible to catch everything, but it does feel like there's a good amount of design in a vacuum.

View PostJohnny Z, on 04 March 2016 - 02:49 PM, said:

#3 Comm wheel.

Homygod, yes. How is this not a thing already? It'd be such a nice tool for quick players.

#19 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 04 March 2016 - 04:02 PM

Bi-weekly iterative weapon balance changes....

That is dead now.

So, Monthly weapon balance changes.

#PGIPLZ

Just to fix those chronic underperformers.

#20 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 04:13 PM

View PostDawnstealer, on 04 March 2016 - 03:18 PM, said:

I'm RIGHT HERE, Bishop. This is so embarrassing.

And yeah, I'm probably a whale. I don't buy Clan stuff, so like you, I'm probably a minor whale. Maybe a dolphin? Dunno - but ALL the IS packs, I've bought at the highest level, and I own most of the IS heroes.

The Phoenix Hawk is an awesome mech, and that 45 ton slot is a damn good one, so I *might* be grabbing it, but...I mean, I have enough mechs, I feel like. There's only a couple left that I feel are must-buys for me. And there are features I'd love to see in the game, game modes, AI units, more maps, and so on, that are at least on the drawing board.

I'm not NOT buying because of any disappointment, but just because I feel like I've hit mass saturation. I'm still debating grabbing the PXH, but...dunno. Maybe.

Well, in fairness, I do run 2 accts.
IS does have all the Packs. But some, like the Rifleman and Phoenix Hawk, I only got the Basic and Hero. And I have skipped a few Hero Mechs (TDK, Quarantine, Hellslinger, Boars Head).

But probably, unless it's a real compelling case like the Urbanmech was, don't see me buying any more Assaults or Lights, since I just don't enjoy piloting them. Something like the Annihilator, or them fixing my VTRs JJs might change my opinion.

My Clan Acct, I have been pickier, since it's not my primary. Got all of Wave 1 and 2, but only got up the the Scat in Wave 3, and the HBK in Origins. I did pick up the Kodiak basic pack, and would love to grab the Hero, but it's hard to justify the cash right now, but hey, with the Basic in under the wire, the Hero is no rush.

But no Gold Mechs. I defend a lot of things from PGI, and hey, whether it was an IGP idea or not, people DID buy them. I just had no interest. (Though a Burning Chrome Summoner might have been harder to resist).

So, I put myself probably in mid range Whale territory. But one that seems to be going on a diet, so maybe I'll slim down from a sperm whale to an Orca. *shrugs*

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users