#1 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 05:42 PM

in my Travels i happened across a WHK with 4JJ & ECM in its RT,
if Such a RT OmniPod Existed in MWO would you Equip it to your WHK?

#2 ScarecrowES

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 04 March 2016 - 05:45 PM

If JJs were removable maybe. I don't think wasting that much tonnage for the chance to mount ECM is worth the trade. If it were MY choice of what variant's right torso to get, I'd rather have the ballistic slot on the Warhawk-F.

#3 Intrepid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 265 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 05:57 PM

View PostAndi Nagasia, on 04 March 2016 - 05:42 PM, said:

in my Travels i happened across a WHK with 4JJ & ECM in its RT,
if Such a RT OmniPod Existed in MWO would you Equip it to your WHK?

1 ton JJ & ECM? Sign me up! Where did you find this?

Alt Config F is still waiting...

#4 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 06:03 PM

View PostIntrepid, on 04 March 2016 - 05:57 PM, said:

1 ton JJ & ECM? Sign me up! Where did you find this?

Alt Config F is still waiting...

Andi has a frequent habit of inventing Omnipods out of whole cloth, then asking the forum if they'd use them. I believe this is more of the same - BattleTech 'mechs never really had grossly imbalanced jump jets like he describes, they were always mounted such that they effectively centered on the 'Mech.

In this case? Prolly not. The right torso's too important for too many builds as one of the only places to freaking put stuff, as well as a significant increase to missile firepower, for me to look for jump jets and ECM in there. If I'm looking for jets and ECM and such, I'll probably switch down to a lighter, more mobile chassis. Much as I love faster-than-they-should-be fatbros like the Warhawk, Executioner, and (old) Victor, there is a minimum level of hitting power required for assaults.

...poor Gargles. So far below that minimum hitting power requirement...

#5 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 07:26 PM

What would be funny if people who put JJ in side spots, but only in that one spot, that the thrust pushes you up at an angle, since it would be like an airliner with only 1 engine going, it will push it around in circles with just that one engine.

Put a single JJ in the RT of your Warhawk, as you jump, it pushes the right side up and topples the mech over, since nothing is lifting the other side.

#6 xXBagheeraXx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 07:33 PM

Fixed jumpjets? No. I only run my Prime that is a crammed with 27 double heatsinks, and even then it cant really keep up with the 4 erppcs. Id give up 1 sink for ECM and it would be a PPC sniper from hell but not 3+ for jumpjets that I personally rarely use other than to get over rocks or climb up hills.

View Post1453 R, on 04 March 2016 - 06:03 PM, said:

Andi has a frequent habit of inventing Omnipods out of whole cloth, then asking the forum if they'd use them. I believe this is more of the same - BattleTech 'mechs never really had grossly imbalanced jump jets like he describes, they were always mounted such that they effectively centered on the 'Mech.

In this case? Prolly not. The right torso's too important for too many builds as one of the only places to freaking put stuff, as well as a significant increase to missile firepower, for me to look for jump jets and ECM in there. If I'm looking for jets and ECM and such, I'll probably switch down to a lighter, more mobile chassis. Much as I love faster-than-they-should-be fatbros like the Warhawk, Executioner, and (old) Victor, there is a minimum level of hitting power required for assaults.

And then there's what he said...

#7 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 04 March 2016 - 07:40 PM

My take; i can't spare 5 slots on the critical RT on any of my WHK builds. Missiles/ballistics need the space for ammo, ballistics as well need tonnage, lasers/ppc's need the DHS. Now, if I could trade the LT for a torso with nothing in it? I'd be interested in those apples.

#8 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:06 PM

Um every-time ive Suggesting something that was my Own Personal Idea i have Said so No?
ive Never Invented anything and Tried to Pass it off as Cannon when Knowing its not,
Next you'll tell me theirs not a DWF Variant with 6E & 6M Hard Points,
-
Also where they are Mounted shouldnt Matter,
as with Modern Thrust Vectoring even a 2 Engine Jet can Fly on one Engine,
Hell a F-15 or A10 Can Fly with only One Wing,
-
And the Fact that WHKs could Mount JJ as per Lore,

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 04 March 2016 - 07:26 PM, said:

What would be funny if people who put JJ in side spots, but only in that one spot, that the thrust pushes you up at an angle, since it would be like an airliner with only 1 engine going, it will push it around in circles with just that one engine.

Put a single JJ in the RT of your Warhawk, as you jump, it pushes the right side up and topples the mech over, since nothing is lifting the other side.

it could Fly Stright, there was accually no restriction on Mechs as to say JJ had to be balanced,
having 2 on one side 2 on another, theres no reason you couldnt have 4 on one side,

Also this,
Posted Image
BV 141, Actually was a Pretty Effective AirCraft, :)

#9 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:27 PM

Those are aircraft, flying with wings and control surfaces and aerodynamically optimized bodies, Andi.

Put a giant rocket on one side, and only one side, of a tank, then light that rocket off. What do ye figure happens? Besides, even if the thing can compensate for misaligned thrust, the machine's frame itself would be put under a ton of stress from the right torso being expected to handle 100% of the kick required to get eighty-five tons of brick sweathouse off the ground.

I'm not saying that there's restrictions against it in MWO. I'm saying that is invariably how they laid things out in BattleTech, because it's what makes sense.

#10 Volthorne

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Canadia

Posted 05 March 2016 - 12:32 AM

View PostAndi Nagasia, on 04 March 2016 - 08:06 PM, said:

Um every-time ive Suggesting something that was my Own Personal Idea i have Said so No?
ive Never Invented anything and Tried to Pass it off as Cannon when Knowing its not,

I went actively looking for the RT you suggest exists. I can't find it. It just doesn't exist. There IS a WHK with 4 JJs (the MC-J variant), though they're located in the legs, 2 each. There is no canon WHK with ECM.

#11 John1352

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 05 March 2016 - 12:43 AM

Here's a question: 80 ton mechs use class II jumpjets, 90 ton mechs use class I hoverjets. What size of jumpjets does an 85 ton mech get?

#12 Intrepid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 265 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 01:03 AM

View PostJohn1352, on 05 March 2016 - 12:43 AM, said:

Here's a question: 80 ton mechs use class II jumpjets, 90 ton mechs use class I hoverjets. What size of jumpjets does an 85 ton mech get?

Should be class II

#13 ilikerice

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 324 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 01:28 AM

I would take ANY omni pod that would get my a flying warhawk.

#14 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 05 March 2016 - 02:55 AM

I just want the Warhawk F side torso. Not really enough room for a UAC20, but it does allow for a UAC10, 2 LPlas, and 2-3 ERMLas with sufficient heatsinks. Suddenly the mech seems far more "assault" in that configuration, plus I have always been a fan of the Warhawk with a ballistic side torso option.

#15 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 05 March 2016 - 04:06 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 05 March 2016 - 02:55 AM, said:

I just want the Warhawk F side torso. Not really enough room for a UAC20, but it does allow for a UAC10, 2 LPlas, and 2-3 ERMLas with sufficient heatsinks. Suddenly the mech seems far more "assault" in that configuration, plus I have always been a fan of the Warhawk with a ballistic side torso option.

Dude, you could absolutely run 2xUAC10 and LPL and 2 ERML: WHK-PRIME (see lrm20=uac10; 5t free for the tonnage)

Oooooh, how I'd love to do that.

(I just love dual 10's to bits)

Edited by Wintersdark, 05 March 2016 - 04:07 AM.

#16 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 05 March 2016 - 04:14 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 05 March 2016 - 04:06 AM, said:

Dude, you could absolutely run 2xUAC10 and LPL and 2 ERML: WHK-PRIME (see lrm20=uac10; 5t free for the tonnage)

Oooooh, how I'd love to do that.

(I just love dual 10's to bits)

One of these days I'm gonna buy a Warhawk C just so I can do something similar to this:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...805ad1d9ceb7058

Or maybe this:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5241f68cc6ebadd

#17 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 05 March 2016 - 04:24 AM

View PostScarecrowES, on 04 March 2016 - 05:45 PM, said:

If JJs were removable maybe. I don't think wasting that much tonnage for the chance to mount ECM is worth the trade. If it were MY choice of what variant's right torso to get, I'd rather have the ballistic slot on the Warhawk-F.

But what if you want JJ and ECM?

#18 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 04:54 AM

gimme those jump jets, prefer a chassis with a little less firepower and more mobility. cant think how many times jump jets saved my mechs six at the last second because I was able to spread damage from multiple targets...

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users