• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 04 March 2016 - 10:50 PM

View PostSQW, on 04 March 2016 - 10:36 PM, said:

You guys do know you can turn off individual voip right? Way to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

^^
I have several players muted. Never have to listen to them again.

#22 Jolly Llama

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 457 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 10:53 PM

I block more people than I listen to on voice chat. I will probably just end up disabling it...again.

#23 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 12:10 AM

Children crying after they are dead is exactly why my voip has been off for months, well that and it sounds like crap.

#24 Soultraxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 05 March 2016 - 12:55 AM

View PostPjwned, on 04 March 2016 - 09:56 PM, said:

It's possible other people felt similarly but just didn't bother saying anything else. How many annoyed teammates does it take before you consider "gee, maybe I'm talking too much."

So somebody is a dbag that dictates how you play the game because they're not thrilled about somebody else (you) dictating how they play the game over voice comms.

Irony much?

I think not.

I believe most people like a little direction during a match.

#25 Pjwned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 05 March 2016 - 12:57 AM

View PostSandpit, on 04 March 2016 - 09:59 PM, said:

uh huh
please show me where he was "talking too much?"

There was no need to order people around immediately at the start of the match. Solo queue is not a coordinated group and chances are very high that your orders will be ineffective when you don't know peoples' builds, how they play, and how well they play. Note that (just like I said above) this doesn't mean you can't use VOIP, but if you're offering much more than simple enemy locations or a request for help and people get annoyed at you then it's time to consider talking a lot less or if you can't handle that then not at all.

How many annoyed teammates does it take to get the point anyways?

you have a mute option, that's what it's for
period

Shouldn't really need to use it though. I can and have muted people for a few different reasons, but if you have no desire to know why anybody would mute you ever then don't use VOIP.

and the fact that you think someone tgrying to offer target locations and drop call is "dictating" anything speaks volumes

that's true irony

It is dictating to order people to a certain location right away and then tell them to sit on their *** while some chump may or may not actually do a good job at scouting, and to get butt ravaged about somebody saying to be quiet tells me that the problem is not with other people.

View PostSoultraxx, on 05 March 2016 - 12:55 AM, said:

I think not.

I believe most people like a little direction during a match.

That doesn't necessitate ordering the whole team around right at the start without considering a myriad of other factors. The match should flow pretty well without somebody barking orders constantly because there's a lot of information to be had from the radar most of the time, but you can of course give a little tug by calling enemy locations or checking on a teammate in a big assault mech that got left behind or something like that.

If you see your team making an obviously bad play such as the usual NASCAR garbage where the assaults get left behind simply due to their slower speed, then yeah you can try to be more assertive and order people around in order to correct that, but otherwise if you're just barking orders at a bunch of solo pugs it tends to be more annoying than anything else.

Edited by Pjwned, 05 March 2016 - 01:19 AM.

#26 Vashramire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 419 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 01:54 AM

I just mute or block annoying people. I know I've been muted for calling out targets or information because they didn't want to be told how to play. Some people just want to be heroes in a team game or something. Almost as bad is when you call out flanks or targets to people that turn of VOIP. They don't hear you and get killed then rage because the "team is stupid". Typing in this game in a fight will get you killed so if I can give info fast over voice while still fighting I will. Sometimes I have a sleeping kid in another room so I just don't respond.

Oddly some of the best times to voice chat is if you are dead. Being a "commander" during the fight is actually pretty hard. You aren't going to be placing markers and keeping track of everyone during every engagement. When you spectate you can switch to everyones mech, see their damage, loadout, and situation and help call targets. You can be very helpful during that time instead of being mean. Of course sometimes looking at your teams loadouts can be frustrating (4 lrm boats hiding 800m away missing all their volleys or just people with bad aim) but being verbally abusive won't salvage the match or help your team.

That's not to say people are perfect. It is super annoying to lose 10 matches in a row because MM didn't like you winning so much yesterday and people can get frustrated. Not everyone that yells is always a ****. This game can get to you after a while. Hell my mouse should be shattered to pieces by now and punching my desk once knocked over a full cup of coffee, but I try and keep it to myself. No one is perfect no matter the tier. You have to have a thick skin to play these kinds of games. Just because people can tell you that you suck with their voice isn't any different than with text, it's just easier. You can ignore them like anyone else.

#27 Prokust

• PipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 97 posts
  • Locationin a tiny space

Posted 05 March 2016 - 02:13 AM

I have both text and voicechat enabeld. Why should i disable the tool that i need to communicate with my team in a team game?? Just ignore those guys thatvrant in the chats when they die....also sometimes peiple take the lead via voip and i'd like to honour that by following their orders. And if we lose? Seems enemy had the better plan :P.

Voip can also be really funny. Two days ago we hadbtwo guys in there bitching at each other who is the better player and who hasnthr better plan. Ended up with a "give me your real life adtress ***** and i come overf to beat you up" whole team was amused...

#28 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 05 March 2016 - 03:15 AM

The amount of times I've heard people on VoiP being angry little [REDACTED] is extremely small in relation to the number of times I've attempted to relay information on VoiP, only to find out that much of the team has VoiP muted, resulting in our team getting its *** handed to it. Seriously. Perfectly good, constant intel letting the team know where the enemy is, where the enemy is going, and what it appears the enemy is trying to do, only to watch my teammates stumble around like drunken idiots or, worse, walk right into the enemy firing line only to whine in chat "lolsorry, I had bad intel!"

It's such a powerful teamwork tool. That so many turn it off because of a bad example in maybe 5% of the matches they experience is what irritates me.

#29 Burke IV

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 01:49 PM

View PostTickdoff Tank, on 04 March 2016 - 06:50 PM, said:

Just a quick note to those that make use of the in-game voice chat: If the only time I hear your voice is after you are dead and complaining that the team sucked.... You really need to keep your mouth shut. Just like you did for the entire time you were alive.

lol LOL. I been listening to this and im thinking.. is there sometihng wrong with my coms? why can i only hear them after im dead? were they giving orders and i was too focused to notice?

#30 Dirk Le Daring

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 March 2016 - 02:13 PM

I use the in-game VOIP. I will call enemies as I see them. I notice that most of the time other players respond, if not by words, but by their actions. It is a good thing.

For the detractors, there is the mute option, but you are reducing team effectiveness, thus being quite selfish. You are not the only players in the match.

As for the players that either type in or say over VOIP "what a **** team".... I do enjoy replying..."Just remember YOU were part of that **** team !". They need that reminder ;)

OP, do not be concerned by the negative players, they will most likely always be negative and try to bring everyone down to make themselves fell better, it is in their nature and permeates all levels of their lives.

Keep using VOIP, it is OP and rocks. :)

#31 SQW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 04:50 PM

View PostDirk Le Daring, on 05 March 2016 - 02:13 PM, said:

As for the players that either type in or say over VOIP "what a **** team".... I do enjoy replying..."Just remember YOU were part of that **** team !". They need that reminder Posted Image

There are time when the team IS sh*t and need to be called out on.

Last night on Alpine, the alpha lance decided to nascar into the entire enemy team while the rest decided to 'protect' the base 5 grids away in the opposite direction. Only when the alpha lance was destroyed did the 2 lances decided to walk 3 grids closer to engage. We were fortunate to have the higher ground and equalized 4-3 until half of the team decided to jump down from the hill because firing angle was getting bad as the enemy got closer. Final score: 12-3. I killed 2 myself.

Where was I the whole time? 600m away from alpha lance trying to lend some fire-support while typing in the chat screaming for the other 7 heavies to join me. Did I call out "team is sh*t" at the end? You bet I did.

#32 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 05:03 PM

A friendly reminder where shizzle is going down is always welcome .
I tend to do the same, but sometimes VoIP shits on me by randomly not working :(

As for saltiness ... happens :)

#33 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 05 March 2016 - 06:52 PM

View PostPjwned, on 05 March 2016 - 12:57 AM, said:

order people around

see, here's where we have a miscommunication. Tips, advice, and drop calling is not ordering people around. If that's your idea of drop calling and such I'm definitely glad you've never been a drop lead in any of my matches.

There's a big difference in drop calling and ordering people around. To mislead people to think otherwise indicated you're either biased, have had nothing but bad experiences with it, or are misinformed yourself. Either way, it's a very inaccurate depiction of what drop calling is.

#34 Dirk Le Daring

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 March 2016 - 02:59 PM

View PostSQW, on 05 March 2016 - 04:50 PM, said:

Where was I the whole time? 600m away from alpha lance trying to lend some fire-support

You do not see a problem here ?

while typing in the chat screaming for the other 7 heavies to join me.

Here's a thing..... When people are shooting at the enemy, they are not trying to read a small line of text that stays in the corner of the screen for a couple of seconds. Can you guess where their focus is ?? You were better off using voice, if you refuse to talk, you have no place complaining, as you are using the most inefficient method to attempt to communicate.

Did I call out "team is sh*t" at the end? You bet I did.

By my reckoning that does indeed include you.

Edited by Dirk Le Daring, 07 March 2016 - 02:59 PM.

#35 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 03:56 PM

Clearly, the OP doesn't understand that it's the teams fault for not supporting the light who charges into the enemy fire line, masterfully dancing around their AC shots and lasers. Posted Image

#36 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 07 March 2016 - 04:13 PM

It's always nice when someone relates info or tries to herd the cats in meaningfull ways.

Unfortunably, some people are hard to understand, due to low quality equipment, low volume, not speaking clearly, tha' 'eavy accent or due to other factors.

#37 Maver0ick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 228 posts
  • Locationbehind you

Posted 07 March 2016 - 05:46 PM

Sometimes it is funny when it happens:
Posted Image

Posted Image

#38 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 07 March 2016 - 06:07 PM

View PostMaver0ick, on 07 March 2016 - 05:46 PM, said:

Sometimes it is funny when it happens:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Think about how you're talking to those people though. Yes, it gets frustrating, but I tend to get a better response if I simply say (after a match like that) "Hey guys, gotta pay more attention to mini map" or something along those lines.

The thing is, you're not going to convince any "vets" what they did was "wrong", but if you react in a seinsible way and just give some advice and pointers any of the new(er) players will be more likely to remember that and use it next time, but if you start cussing at them, acting rudely, etc. they're just going to tune you out

#39 Tyman4

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSpace Time

Posted 07 March 2016 - 06:49 PM

No.

I will keep calling squirrel chaser squirrel chaser until they stop squirrel chasing and not a moment before.

Tyman4

#40 Tickdoff Tank

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 07 March 2016 - 07:25 PM

There was no need to order people around immediately at the start of the match. Solo queue is not a coordinated group and chances are very high that your orders will be ineffective when you don't know peoples' builds, how they play, and how well they play. Note that (just like I said above) this doesn't mean you can't use VOIP, but if you're offering much more than simple enemy locations or a request for help and people get annoyed at you then it's time to consider talking a lot less or if you can't handle that then not at all.

I did not order anyone around. Never once did I say "Atlas, move to D5 and support playerX" or Charlie Lance get your butt in gear and push G4". I ASKED if anyone had a way they wanted to play the match, quick push, snipe war, advance to the middle where we normally meet the enemy, whatever. I do not really care what the plan is, as long as everyone on the team is, you know, acting like they are on a team. I find that in most matches you get a decent amount of response by being polite, calling out targets and UAVs, warning players about a possible problem ("Ebon Jag in H8, just saw a couple mechs moving on the other side of that building, watch your 6") I try very hard to NOT issue "orders" Why would anyone want orders from me, someone they do not know, in a PUG. I simply try to relay information that I think is needed for a successful match. I am sure I am missing a lot of stuff, but I am at least trying to get involved with my random group of PUGs and hoping that we can work together and pull out the win.

How many annoyed teammates does it take to get the point anyways?

I do not think I was being overly annoying, nor was I demonstrating diarrhea of the mouth. I was silent far more than I was talking. I am very, very familiar with comm protocols, giving a concise report, and then shutting up for another's communication. (paramedic for 16 years, including 3 years as a contract Medic in Iraq and Afghanistan, believe me, I know my radio discipline)

It is dictating to order people to a certain location right away and then tell them to sit on their *** while some chump may or may not actually do a good job at scouting, and to get butt ravaged about somebody saying to be quiet tells me that the problem is not with other people.

I did NONE of that, nor do I ever order anyone, at any time. Ever. I might suggest a course of action, I might encourage the team to move to a certain location, but they have just as much right to go wherever they want on the map that I do. I will support my team, even if I think they are making a bad play. Seriously, I have never told a teammate what to do, as a matter of fact I have never even offered "advice" on improving their build (no matter how schizophrenic I found it). The absolute worst that do is say something like "Looks like they are on the other side of the hill at G8, could someone pop a UAV?" or "Big mess of bad guys in H11, could use some support if possible"

That doesn't necessitate ordering the whole team around right at the start without considering a myriad of other factors. The match should flow pretty well without somebody barking orders constantly because there's a lot of information to be had from the radar most of the time, but you can of course give a little tug by calling enemy locations or checking on a teammate in a big assault mech that got left behind or something like that.

I have already explained that I do not order peple around, so I will not belabor the point. I do try to watch the positions of my teammates (I am not always successful), and will encourage the group to wait for the slower mechs, or at least try to give them some cover if I can.

If you see your team making an obviously bad play such as the usual NASCAR garbage where the assaults get left behind simply due to their slower speed, then yeah you can try to be more assertive and order people around in order to correct that, but otherwise if you're just barking orders at a bunch of solo pugs it tends to be more annoying than anything else.

I do not even mind it when we NASCAR, as long as the whole team is doing it, calling targets and at least attempting to focus fire. And you are correct, barking orders at PUGS is rude, pointless and useless. That is why I do not do it.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users