Map Selection

Maps

5 replies to this topic

#1 GeoFalke

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 11:03 AM

Hey, new guy posting again. Still lovin the game, and c-bills are still rolling in even without the newbie bonus, but I can't help but notice that even though there's a bunch of really cool and challenging looking maps, (almost) everyone mass-votes for polar highlands, frozen city/night, alpine peaks, and when those maps aren't available it's verdant bog so everyone can sit up on the hill at (i think) c4.

I get that heat management is a thing, but the one or two times I did get to play on maps like terra therma or tourmaline desert I had an absolute ball, even with my laser boat Nova Prime because I had to actively think about whether I could afford to fire at someone and when I did I had to make damn sure the shot counted (flamers on those maps are OP and I love it >: D )

the frozen maps are just bland, boring, and the snowblind is so bad I actually started getting headaches from having to play on those maps 5-6 times in a row.

so other than easy heat management is there any real reason why people flock to those maps?

#2 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 05 March 2016 - 11:15 AM

In my experience; Terra Therma, Alpine Peaks, Caustic Valley, Polar Highlands, and Forest Colony are the least popular maps (ordered from most unpopular to least unpopular). The most popular maps are (in no particular order) Frozen City, Frozen City Night, and HPG Manifold.

The playerbase overall seems to prefer cold, smallish maps. Which is a shame, as some of those less popular maps can be great fun. I've been in very enjoyable fights on Therma in Conquest (Epsilon often turns into the focus of a horrific slugfest).

All you can really do is save up your vote multipliers and try to force a change of pace on people every now and again. (Or set up private matches.)

Edited by Escef, 05 March 2016 - 11:16 AM.

#3 Milocinia

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 05 March 2016 - 11:57 AM

Tourmaline is a decent map despite it being hot. It does get voted through a few times. Canyon is also decent but that's almost heat "neutral" as in it's neither excessively hot or cold.

#4 LowSubmarino

• Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 12:37 PM

Crimson, Canyon, Tourmaline, Mining and HPG as well as Highlands are fantastic maps.

Dunno why anybody would dislike Tourmaline. Its beautiful, has diverse, open as well as covered terrain. Its one of the best maps.

I never cared about heat though.

I dislike mordor for other reasons. 95 % of the games play out identically and in the exact same positions in skirmish.

I dislike all night maps because they are terrible if one is a sniper. I dislike snow storms that force you to use thermal vision as thermal vision is simply ugly compared to real colors e.g. when shooting lasers. It just looks plain ugly.

If thermal vision as well as night vision looked more appealing, looked cool, awesome and fantastic then I wouldnt say a word.

But they do not. They just look ugly and diminish the overall experience.

The Bog sux hard - and is the worst map in the entire game - because vision is abysmal there. You cant see anything and your shots hit invisible obstacles all the time. All the time.

The four best and most fun maps in the game are Canyon, Crimson, Tourmaline and Mining.

They provide covered routes of attack or retreat. They haven open grounds, long ranges, cover, multiple attack routes. You can easily disengage or sneak up on the enemy. You can also easily snipe from a variety of fantastic positions on all of those maps. You can also fully capitalize on lights speed and ambush potential.

Havent played the new highland map myself yet, as im just putting together my new rig. Ive watched a number of videos though. It looks great. Open, fantastic vision, no single center which would invite all players to the very same spot each game. Provides cover for lights, is big, allows for sniping, brawling, sneaking....you name it.

Those maps are great because they loook good, provide all types of mechs or strategies enough possibilities to engage accordingly, play out differntly each time unlike e.g. Mordor.

If the relevant parts of a map are tiny - e.g. HPG - then it must be designed perfectly. HPG is perfect because despite its tiny size it still allows multiple advantageious positions. Yes...most games evolve around the center elavated position, but the basement or the entrances to the basement as well as the long ramp/skybridge/whatever you wanne call it, as well as the entrances to the outer rocky areas provice many good positions.

You often times have ppl gather for a last stand in defendable positions either in the basement or around one of the entrances to the above mentioned locations. The map (space) also looks great, and despite its size it has all those qualities. In addition to that its a cool map. Naturally ppl love the map.

The Bog is my most hated map. Its simply ugly as hell and you cannot see anthing and you hit trees or invisible barriers all the time. The Bog - just like caustic - invites nascar by sheer design. Thats what truely breaks those maps. I mostly run in my Shadowhawks or Clan heavies. Most of them are super fast so nascar isnt a problem in terms of being left behind.

But ppl die alone while being shot in the rear by an entire team all the time because of nascar. Slow heavies and asssaults wont have much fun on those maps when pugging.

In a team its a different story.

They should have redesigned caustic to make it a slightly differnt version than canyon. Instead of one huge center crater they should have opened that creater and turned it into multiple smaller hills with no one prominent central spot. More like Highlands maybe. More like Canyon Network.

Places where you can snipe but also run around the map via cover.

Thats what makes maps fantastic or garbage.

At least with Highlands the devs seem to finally actually pay attention to those elements that makes maps good.

Since somebody mentioned it isnt very popular, maybe thats due to its apparently ginormous size and assautls that have to cover extreme distances or get left behind.

Dunno.

#5 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 05 March 2016 - 12:41 PM

it's going to depend on your tier - in my tier mining/canyon/tormaline/HPG/crimson are generally tops, in that order

#6 Milocinia

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 05 March 2016 - 01:10 PM

View Postoneda, on 05 March 2016 - 12:37 PM, said:

The four best and most fun maps in the game are Canyon, Crimson, Tourmaline and Mining.

Totally agree!

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users