Pgi: Please Make The (S) Variant Into A Token That We The Player Can Chose Which Mech To Bestow It Upon?

89 replies to this topic

#1 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 05 March 2016 - 03:56 PM

As the title says.

So often there's a lot of frustration as to which model gets the "Special" cbill earning designation.

Mind you this is not something I am recommending as a retroactive thing, but as something going forward.

Why can't the (S) be issued as a Token, something that we get to decide, one time, then it's permanent, just like Faction Content?

I don't want to lobby, for instance, to change the PHX-(S) to a specific model. Because as I learned when I did that for the Zeus, for every person it "helps", you cheese off a bunch more people who want the OTHER version as their C-Bill earner.

Before, the Special came with unique geometry, etc. So it was really not feasible. Now? No such obstacle. The Geometry is the same across the board. As best I can tell, there is no programming issue that should make it a problem to do.

So one does thusly:

1) Purchase Collectors Mech Pack.
2) Goes to a selection screen (just like Faction content) and Chooses which of the Variants in the pack to bestow the (S) Token upon.
3) Confirms (twice) Selection
4) Now gets to use the variant of preference as their Primary/Cbill earning version.

I believe it would significantly boost sales of Collectors Packs, make them more of a "value" to the customer (I would prefer them to be about half the price, but that is an argument/debate for another thread. Or maybe get the "Base" Collectors for 10$ markup, and the "Choice Package" for an additional $5-10? ) and do not see where it would add any significant workload to PGI.

Thoughts?

***Edit***

For the record, I am only talking about the token being applicable to Mech sin the "Base" (Collectors) Package, not the Hero Mech, or even this new trend for "Reinforcements". Not sure if it would be any real issue to add the reinforcements, and if not, great, but if so, still getting to choose between the 3-4 base variants would be huge, IMO.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 06 March 2016 - 09:25 AM.

#2 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 05 March 2016 - 03:57 PM

Wholeheartedly agree. I know I'd buy the collector's packs more often if I got to choose which one was which.

#3 Sir Crazy

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 45 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York

Posted 05 March 2016 - 03:59 PM

I like this idea!

#4 Intrepid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 265 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 04:01 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 05 March 2016 - 03:57 PM, said:

Wholeheartedly agree. I know I'd buy the collector's packs more often if I got to choose which one was which.

I would too!

#5 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 04:01 PM

View PostIntrepid, on 05 March 2016 - 04:01 PM, said:

I would too!

well, if one has twitter, please let Russ know!

#6 Lostdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 05 March 2016 - 04:03 PM

If PGI had listened to player suggestions for the last 4 years to add a 30% cbill MC purchase item that could be applied to any mech then Russ could be swimming in money like Scrooge McDuck.

#7 RAM

• The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 2,019 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 05 March 2016 - 04:13 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 05 March 2016 - 03:56 PM, said:

I don't want to lobby, for instance, to change the PHX-(S) to a specific model. Because as I learned when I did that for the Zeus, for every person it "helps", you cheese off a bunch more people who want the OTHER version as their C-Bill earner.

But Lore! Posted Image

Nonetheless still a good idea. Tweet #2 coming up!

RAM
ELH

#8 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 05 March 2016 - 04:22 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 05 March 2016 - 03:56 PM, said:

As the title says.

So often there's a lot of frustration as to which model gets the "Special" cbill earning designation.

Mind you this is not something I am recommending as a retroactive thing, but as something going forward.

Why can't the (S) be issued as a Token, something that we get to decide, one time, then it's permanent, just like Faction Content?

Before, the Special came with unique geometry, etc. So it was really not feasible. Now? No such obstacle. The Geometry is the same across the board. As best I can tell, there is no programming issue that should make it a problem to do.

So one does thusly:

1) Purchase Collectors Mech Pack.
2) Goes to a selection screen (just like Faction content) and Chooses which of the Variants in the pack to bestow the (S) Token upon.
3) Confirms (twice) Selection
4) Now gets to use the variant of preference as their Primary/Cbill earning version.

I believe it would significantly boost sales of Collectors Packs, make them more of a "value" to the customer (I would prefer them to be about half the price, but that is an argument/debate for another thread. Or maybe get the "Base" Collectors for 10$ markup, and the "Choice Package" for an additional $5-10? ) and do not see where it would add any significant workload to PGI.

Thoughts?

Choosing your own variant for the (S) Collectors Pack would be freaking awesome. I'd be all over that.

#9 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 05 March 2016 - 04:27 PM

If you can't sell other special variants because that would mean losing it forever, I doubt PGI is capable or willing to let people choose the special variant when buying a mech pack.

I'm not against it or anything, I just doubt it will happen.

#10 Myke Pantera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 836 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 05 March 2016 - 04:32 PM

Add to it the colors of the special variant as perma unlock for other mechs and I'll buy the special PXH pack

Right now $20 for 30% CBills on a regular variant (that I can't even choose) + 30days of PT does not appeal enough for me to buy it

Edit: So, yes, this is a great idea!

Edited by Myke Pantera, 05 March 2016 - 04:46 PM.

#11 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,072 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 04:35 PM

wouldn't mind making this a general purchase you could apply to any mech. that way you can give all your favorites bonuses if you are willing to pay for them. and its another thing pgi can use to source income.

Edited by LordNothing, 05 March 2016 - 04:35 PM.

#12 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 04:42 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 05 March 2016 - 04:35 PM, said:

wouldn't mind making this a general purchase you could apply to any mech. that way you can give all your favorites bonuses if you are willing to pay for them. and its another thing pgi can use to source income.

Don't see PGI going there because then one would have little incentive to buy actual mech packs, instead just waiting for cbill mechs then buying just the token.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 05 March 2016 - 04:59 PM.

#13 Dirus Nigh

• 2,382 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 04:43 PM

This is a good idea.

I want to assume that Bishops suggestion would also prevent a duplicate mech from being added to your hanger. It's rather annoying to have a vanilla variant, and the exact same variant with a C-Bill boost.

#14 Miodog

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 05:06 PM

I concur, allowing you to drive all the mechs before you decide what variant you want to have the (S) designation would be welcome to my wallet.

#15 Armored Yokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 05 March 2016 - 05:23 PM

Finally Someone posts it!

#16 Dan Nashe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 606 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 06:34 PM

We've been asking for a stand alone token to add +30% c-bills to other mechs for about 4 years, as someone mentioned. I'd pay $20 to add an (S) to my favorite mechs. I'd probably buy at least 4 of them the week they came out.

I keep quitting this game when I realize I have the skills I need, and then I have to choose between mechs I want to play and my mechs with +30% c-bills. And it frustrates me.

I have to choose between my 6 hero mechs and the 59 other mechs I own, and always realize it's stupid to play 59 of my mechs.

Edited by Dan Nashe, 05 March 2016 - 06:43 PM.

#17 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 05 March 2016 - 06:40 PM

It would be awesome.

But pgi wants u to suffer, so no free choice, and (S) in the worst variant

#18 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,072 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 06:46 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 05 March 2016 - 04:42 PM, said:

Don't see PGI going there because then one would have little incentive to buy actual mech packs, instead just waiting for cbill mechs then buying just the token.

they could price it so that the mech pack is still the better value. pretty much whale bait.

#19 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 06:47 PM

It's a great idea but PGI hates us for our freedom.

Plus, well, only so many zots to spend.

#20 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 05 March 2016 - 06:57 PM

Hell, if PGI just let us spend money to "battle harden" regular CBill mechs for a 20% boost like AW does I might actually renew my Whale card.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users