Behaviour Changes Depending On Maps?

34 replies to this topic

#1 Lupis Volk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 05 March 2016 - 08:15 PM

So on most maps i notice that "clutches" are encouraged. Most times you get cheered on and stuff. Now i've noticed on Terra Therma That's the complete opposite. If your on that map and dare to "clutch" it you get threats of reports and of being team killed if you meet people again.

This happened to me while i was in my Ice Ferret. I was doing hit and run tactics on the enemy on Terra Therma. Two unsavoury people (one on my team one on the enemy team) both accused me of "dragging the game out" and the person on my team went so far as to "remember his name so i can team kill him". once i died i did file a text chat harassment report against these two players.

This is frankly disgusting and disturbing behaviour.

Edited by Lupis Volk, 05 March 2016 - 08:18 PM.

#2 Chuck Jager

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 10:17 PM

If it is the end of a match and a player is above 65% and trying hit and run tactics, there is an obvious reason they are being not so nice. The time to help is over.

Also on Terra Therma, not pushing with the group at the start of a PUG match almost always results in a loss with the cowards still hiding at the end. There are other tactics, but they are not as well suited for non-group play.

I am not saying that other play styles are good or bad, but on Terra the first hard push is an easy win or if both groups push together it is a fun brawl. It really sux to have 2/3 of a team sit at the doors or go scout.

I just go inside and if the team does not follow, I will die asap to not enable cowardly play and make my heart beat too hard.

#3 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 12:48 AM

People don't want to be stuck on terrible therma any longer than necessary. They ended there because too many guys tried to increase their multiplicator by switching to therma the last possible second. If it wasn't for multiplicator switching, this map probably would be erased from the pool of played maps by now.

#4 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 March 2016 - 01:20 AM

Dude, if you're the last mech alive, you have to charge straight into the enemy to end the match as soon as possible so everybody can go drop in a different mech next match. Posted Image

#5 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 01:26 AM

View PostTarogato, on 06 March 2016 - 01:20 AM, said:

Dude, if you're the last mech alive, you have to charge straight into the enemy to end the match as soon as possible so everybody can go drop in a different mech next match. Posted Image

yeah i get this is the "meta" for last mech standing. Posted Image

#6 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,072 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 01:28 AM

when i charge the enemy then my intent is to hurt the enemy. if my team hides and does nothing when i do this, then its on them. and about two thirds of the time i score a kill before i die and move on.

#7 MrMadguy

• 2,209 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 01:32 AM

1) People hate sneaky survival squirrel cowards, who exploit them as meat shields to boost their own rewards/stats, and also drag the match out, when it's already lost, like it's not enough for them, that they have sacrificed their team - looks like they think something like "Meh... This team was bad meat shield and died way too fast - they haven't given me enough time to achieve my goal". Also looks like, that they think, that they are way too important and special to just die - their own team was too bad and doesn't deserve playing with them and enemy team, that was good enough to win fast, shouldn't be that good - it should "earn" their victory somehow.

So via playing survival squirrel you just show complete disrespect to your own and enemy teams. It looks like you troll them. If you think, that you're too good to die - then PVP games aren't for you, cuz PVP players should be able to accept their loss with honor. Go play games, where loss is impossible. Go play Paladin in Wow, so you will be able to perform Bubble+HS every time, when you will face the threat of death.

Also you should know, that if your team is being stomped - it isn't their fault. Don't blame them and don't try to prove anything to them. There are no good and bad players in this game - good players should play against good ones and bad ones should play against equally bad. So all players will be even and have equal chances to win. So if your team was too bad and enemy team was too good - it's not your team's fault - it MM's fault, cuz it built imbalanced match. May be you was the only skilled player on your team and situation might have been much more better, if teams would have been shuffled a little bit.

Many players assume, that PSR is XP bar and that if they can pull 800 match score in Tier 5 - then they're that good and they'll be able to do it right to the top of Tier 1. You should know, that starting from some point you can't control your performance - it's controlled by MM. If it decides, that you have to carry - you'll carry. If it decides, that you have to lose - you'll lose. If it decides, that you have to be carried - you'll be carried. If it decides, that you have to win - you may AFK, but you'll win anyway. Life will become easier, when you'll realize, that your fate isn't in your hands. You can't jump over your head - don't try to trick MM. If you see, that you already lost - just end this match and move on to next one.

2) People hate terrible maps, like Terra Therma, and usually want to play fast match on them in order to get out of it ASAP, as they don't want to be mocked by vote trolls, who brought this map just for lulz. May be you one of those vote trolls? Then you shouldn't blame others. You wanted to troll them - you got the reaction, you expected.

Edited by MrMadguy, 06 March 2016 - 02:00 AM.

#8 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 March 2016 - 01:41 AM

View PostMrMadguy, on 06 March 2016 - 01:32 AM, said:

1) People hate sneaky survival squirrel cowards, who exploit them as meat shields to boost their own rewards/stats, and also drag the match out, when it's already lost, like it's not enough for them, that they have sacrificed their team - looks like they think something like "Meh... This team was bad meat shield and died way too fast - they haven't given me enough time to achieve my goal". Also looks like, that they think, that they are way too important and special to just die - enemy team, that was good enough to win fast, should "earn" their victory somehow.

So via playing survival squirrel you just show complete disrespect to your own and enemy team. It looks like you troll them. If you think, that you're too good to die - then PVP games aren't for you, cuz PVP player should be able to accept their loss with honor. Go play games, where loss is impossible. Go play Paladin in Wow, so you will be able to perform Bubble+HS every time, when you will face the threat of death.

I beg your pardon, but just because I'm a sneaky survival squirrel that usually winds up as the last remaining mech on the team doesn't mean that I wasn't working hard the whole match. Would you rather I just yolo straight into the enemy like the rest of the lemmings on my team? Or stay alive and deal damage for as long as I possibly can and maybe *gasp!* get a few kills? Am I being showing complete disrespect to my team by doing everything in my power to win the match?

#9 Nyte Kitsune

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 440 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSeattle, Wa USA

Posted 06 March 2016 - 01:44 AM

When you're the "Last man standing", the only time it's viable to use hit and run tacticsis when the other team is also down to its last 1 or 2 mechs, if its 1 vs 6 or more, do your team a favor and just end it.

#10 MrMadguy

• 2,209 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 02:14 AM

View PostTarogato, on 06 March 2016 - 01:41 AM, said:

I beg your pardon, but just because I'm a sneaky survival squirrel that usually winds up as the last remaining mech on the team doesn't mean that I wasn't working hard the whole match. Would you rather I just yolo straight into the enemy like the rest of the lemmings on my team? Or stay alive and deal damage for as long as I possibly can and maybe *gasp!* get a few kills? Am I being showing complete disrespect to my team by doing everything in my power to win the match?

Best example of survival squirrel. Your build is too heat ineffective - that's the reason, why you can't effectively support your team and have to play survival squirrel Arctic Cheater instead, i.e. essentially solo game. Best solution to this problem - is to normalize size/(speed + armor + possible firepower) ratio for Light 'Mechs in order to prevent too powerful 'Mechs from also being invulnerable, that makes them completely OP. If Light 'Mech can have 42 firepower - it should be as easily killable, as heavy one.

Intended balance - you have to sacrifice armor/speed, if you want to have more firepower. That's why I suggest to nerf internal engine DHS and buff external ones, so players won't be able to have more firepower for free.

Edited by MrMadguy, 06 March 2016 - 02:32 AM.

#11 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 March 2016 - 03:17 AM

View PostNyte Kitsune, on 06 March 2016 - 01:44 AM, said:

When you're the "Last man standing", the only time it's viable to use hit and run tacticsis when the other team is also down to its last 1 or 2 mechs, if its 1 vs 6 or more, do your team a favor and just end it.

No. You signed up for a 15 minute match, I have the right to use all 15 minutes to the best of my ability. If you don't have the patience to watch, then leave the match and get into another mech.

#12 Dino Might

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 03:29 AM

If you die early, don't be a sore loser and team treason or tell the remaining guy to off himself. Posting for the umpteenth time, if you always want the remaining mech(s) to die so YOU can get YOUR special snowflake mech back sooner, then you'll never get to watch anything interesting happen:

@ 8:20 and beyond.
The guy who was hoping I would go die didn't become a PITA and got a fun show as a result. He was a good sport about having to wait around, and we all had fun.

Edited by Dino Might, 06 March 2016 - 03:31 AM.

#13 SplashDown

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 399 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 03:43 AM

View PostTarogato, on 06 March 2016 - 01:20 AM, said:

i disagree...and to the OP i say this..if you think that even for a second you can win and are competitive like me..you do what you think is best and to heck with what every-1 else thinks

P.S remember..they are dead so just ignore there so called pro opinions and carry the day =)

Edited by SplashDown, 06 March 2016 - 03:46 AM.

#14 2fast2stompy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 03:49 AM

I saw a cored, red torso'd Shadow Cat kill the last 3 mechs on my team last night by itself. It was the last enemy.

Just play your game, nothing's stopping them from playing a different mech for a match.

#15 MrMadguy

• 2,209 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 04:07 AM

I know, why other players hate survival squirrels so much. In neighbouring thread I claimed, that I'm the worst team player in this game, cuz I've switched all chats off. But I was wrong, cuz I at least try to support team mates, that are being attacked by enemy 'Mechs. You're the worst team players, cuz you play your selfish solo game instead of supporting your team mates properly.

#16 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 04:14 AM

I saw Spiders and Ravens sweeping the rest of an enemy team(up to 5 mechs!) after a seemingly lost match. It happens and there is no fault in trying your luck.

Edited by Bluttrunken, 06 March 2016 - 04:14 AM.

#17 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 March 2016 - 04:16 AM

This community is so messed up.

#18 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 04:36 AM

View PostMrMadguy, on 06 March 2016 - 01:32 AM, said:

1) People hate sneaky survival squirrel cowards, who exploit them as meat shields to boost their own rewards/stats, and also drag the match out, when it's already lost, like it's not enough for them, that they have sacrificed their team - looks like they think something like "Meh... This team was bad meat shield and died way too fast - they haven't given me enough time to achieve my goal". Also looks like, that they think, that they are way too important and special to just die - their own team was too bad and doesn't deserve playing with them and enemy team, that was good enough to win fast, shouldn't be that good - it should "earn" their victory somehow.

So via playing survival squirrel you just show complete disrespect to your own and enemy teams. It looks like you troll them. If you think, that you're too good to die - then PVP games aren't for you, cuz PVP players should be able to accept their loss with honor. Go play games, where loss is impossible. Go play Paladin in Wow, so you will be able to perform Bubble+HS every time, when you will face the threat of death.

Also you should know, that if your team is being stomped - it isn't their fault. Don't blame them and don't try to prove anything to them. There are no good and bad players in this game - good players should play against good ones and bad ones should play against equally bad. So all players will be even and have equal chances to win. So if your team was too bad and enemy team was too good - it's not your team's fault - it MM's fault, cuz it built imbalanced match. May be you was the only skilled player on your team and situation might have been much more better, if teams would have been shuffled a little bit.

Many players assume, that PSR is XP bar and that if they can pull 800 match score in Tier 5 - then they're that good and they'll be able to do it right to the top of Tier 1. You should know, that starting from some point you can't control your performance - it's controlled by MM. If it decides, that you have to carry - you'll carry. If it decides, that you have to lose - you'll lose. If it decides, that you have to be carried - you'll be carried. If it decides, that you have to win - you may AFK, but you'll win anyway. Life will become easier, when you'll realize, that your fate isn't in your hands. You can't jump over your head - don't try to trick MM. If you see, that you already lost - just end this match and move on to next one.

2) People hate terrible maps, like Terra Therma, and usually want to play fast match on them in order to get out of it ASAP, as they don't want to be mocked by vote trolls, who brought this map just for lulz. May be you one of those vote trolls? Then you shouldn't blame others. You wanted to troll them - you got the reaction, you expected.

mate if the chip on your shoulder was any bigger it'd eclipse the grand canyon. So i'm a coward for not face hugging the enemy team and dying like a putz. You sure must be a great team player.

funnily enough i had a match on HPG. My whole team derped and died very quickly. I had tried to get on the outer ring to provide PPC support, But jump jets, a bump and gravity set me flying. by the time i got up it was 3-11. Now i was on the ring. I took some pot shots before jumping down and relocating. Something your meant to do in a light mech. Now my team assumed i was going to hide and power down. So one A-hole gave away my position. needless to say quickly after that i got my first kill. the abuse i was getting stopped. After my second kill the team had hope of a win. By the third it looked promising. But alas my fourth kill proved to be my undoing and due to the remaining mechs being assualts i lost due to countdown. By being a "sneaky survival squirrel coward" i had close the match score to 7-12. Match score here: http://images.akamai...1CC3F145689EE2/

Now i'm gonna assume your cranky over the PSR system. That match i was up against 570 tons of mech by the end while in my little 25 ton mech. i got four kills extra for my team. I'm a team player. But i play to my and my mechs strengths, even if that means i have to use some meat shields to get the win for the team so be it.

View PostMrMadguy, on 06 March 2016 - 02:14 AM, said:

Best example of survival squirrel. Your build is too heat ineffective - that's the reason, why you can't effectively support your team and have to play survival squirrel Arctic Cheater instead, i.e. essentially solo game. Best solution to this problem - is to normalize size/(speed + armor + possible firepower) ratio for Light 'Mechs in order to prevent too powerful 'Mechs from also being invulnerable, that makes them completely OP. If Light 'Mech can have 42 firepower - it should be as easily killable, as heavy one.

Intended balance - you have to sacrifice armor/speed, if you want to have more firepower. That's why I suggest to nerf internal engine DHS and buff external ones, so players won't be able to have more firepower for free.

boy it sure sounds like you have a grudge against lights. Now if i was like you and assumed things right off the bat I'd wager your either a heavy or assault pilot. Considering the fact that you want to limit light's damage output. Had one too many back coreing's huh?

Edited by Lupis Volk, 06 March 2016 - 04:52 AM.

#19 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 March 2016 - 05:09 AM

View PostMrMadguy, on 06 March 2016 - 04:07 AM, said:

cuz I at least try to support team mates, that are being attacked by enemy 'Mechs. You're the worst team players, cuz you play your selfish solo game instead of supporting your team mates properly.

Show me where I'm not supporting my teammates. Go ahead. I'll wait. Also take note of how I can stay engaged all match while almost never taking damage. I'm one of those guys that are fresh at the end of a match whom you yell at for not participating all match. Just because the guy is fresh doesn't mean he wasn't fighting hard the entire match.

You know what I do? I don't play recklessly. The result? I'm often the last guy remaining on my team, no matter what mech I'm playing. Does that mean I'm playing like a selfish solo player? Well, I'm not sitting on my *** all match without getting involved in the fight, so I would say 'no'. It makes me a smart player who wants to increase his chances of being a positive deciding factor in the outcome of the match or at the very least deal more damage, get more kills (which grants assist credits for my dead teammates mind you), and earn more C-Bills.

Are there some people out there that don't know what they're doing and sit in sniping spots all match without dealing meaningful damage? Sure they exist, there's probably loads of them, but not all of these "survival squirrels" are simply selfish cowards. The rest of us actually play the game and fight tooth and nail.

#20 SplashDown

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 399 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 05:47 AM

Most of the pugs just want to yolo and spam matches top get xp and credits....if you want to try and bring an A-game and possibly turn a hopeless match into an epic win i say GO FOR IT!..and any-1 complaining at you,,just laugh it off and take comfort in the fact that soon they will face plant a pillow and soak it with tears. =)

Edited by SplashDown, 06 March 2016 - 05:48 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users