When Should I Jump Into Community Warfare

35 replies to this topic

#1 Defibrillateyou

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:07 AM

I have been playing quick play for about a month now an hour or so a day. My k/d ratio is not great but getting better. When should I make the leap into community warfare?

#2 nehebkau

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:11 AM

When you have at least 4 mechs that fill the drop tonnage and are mastered.

... and none of them are LRM boats.

Edited by nehebkau, 06 March 2016 - 11:58 AM.

#3 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:15 AM

When you feel like you are ready to accept orders and play as a part of a team.

#4 GeoFalke

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:15 AM

View Postnehebkau, on 06 March 2016 - 10:11 AM, said:

When you have at least 4 mechs that fill the drop tonnage and are mastered.

would you care to elaborate for those of us who are still learning the lingo?

#5 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:16 AM

View PostDefibrillateyou, on 06 March 2016 - 10:07 AM, said:

I have been playing quick play for about a month now an hour or so a day. My k/d ratio is not great but getting better. When should I make the leap into community warfare?

Think of CW as endgame and playing with the big boys.

#6 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:19 AM

View PostGeoFalke, on 06 March 2016 - 10:15 AM, said:

would you care to elaborate for those of us who are still learning the lingo?

For new players - you should have 4 mechs that add up to 260 tons (current drop weight) and have their mech skills at least through the second set if not fully mastered for the extra module slot.

There can be some leeway in this IF you take the initiative and join up with larger teams, if you are pugging/solo dropping anything much short of this as a new player and you are going to handicap your team before you even drop in.

Edited by sycocys, 06 March 2016 - 10:20 AM.

#7 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:20 AM

View PostImperius, on 06 March 2016 - 10:16 AM, said:

Think of CW as endgame and playing with the big boys.

Think of it as a mode that requires teamwork to play effectively. Coordination, talking to the team, etc. Even if you don't want to join a Unit, I'd suggest running with one from whichever faction you want to play in to learn CW and how to effectively play it.

Edited by MauttyKoray, 06 March 2016 - 10:20 AM.

#8 GeoFalke

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:26 AM

View Postsycocys, on 06 March 2016 - 10:19 AM, said:

For new players - you should have 4 mechs that add up to 260 tons (current drop weight) and have their mech skills at least through the second set if not fully mastered for the extra module slot.

There can be some leeway in this IF you take the initiative and join up with larger teams, if you are pugging/solo dropping anything much short of this as a new player and you are going to handicap your team before you even drop in.

ok that makes more sense.

It sounds a lot like team battle mode, strongholds, or clan wars mode in WoT. no sense in bringing a tank that doesn't have all its gear, so why do it with a mech?

thanks for spelling it out :D

#9 Soulstrom

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 844 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:28 AM

When you are ready to get stomped by premade teams or once phase III is released.

#10 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:31 AM

As soon as you get your 4+ mechs pick a faction.
Join the house website for this faction. Then join the faction servers TS server.. Only solo in cw if you want to get killed.

#11 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:33 AM

Joining with a team is a huge "buff" btw. If you plan on solo dropping, expect to lose at least 80-90% of your matches outside of CW event weekends.

Go in the CW sub forums and then into your house's (or preferred house) section and look up the TS servers if you aren't part of a unit already.

Hop on their TS, then hop into LFG and bounce around rooms until you find a spot - just let them know you are "X" player in LFG and they can add you to the group without you needed to dink around with adding everyone as a friend first.

#12 Ilsen

• Pip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:42 AM

Lasers and stones can hurt your bones but CW will stomp your soul, if you are casual puglandia is the best place to be, if not follow the other people kindly advice.

#13 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:48 AM

@ OP

1 more thing. None of your fully leveled mechs should be LRM boats or LRM dependent for most of their damage output. LRMs only work in CW if you have a team supporting you by using NARC, Tag and UAVs.

#14 Soulstrom

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 844 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:00 AM

View Postnehebkau, on 06 March 2016 - 10:48 AM, said:

@ OP

1 more thing. None of your fully leveled mechs should be LRM boats or LRM dependent for most of their damage output. LRMs only work in CW if you have a team supporting you by using NARC, Tag and UAVs.

Or if you like to shot them randomly into the air and cause massive amounts of terror among the enemy.

#15 MerryIguana

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 627 posts
  • LocationLurksville

Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:03 AM

All you have to do is lower your expectations. Alot.

#16 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:05 AM

When should I make the leap into community warfare?

You shouldn't. Maybe after 6 months it might be worth playing, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

#17 Dru The Blue

• Pip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 05:31 AM

I've had this discussion with a few up and comers before and i generally advice the following:

1. Have some form of organization or affiliation with allied faction members.
2, Have 4 mastered and moduled mechs that fit the tonnage requirements for a drop deck (more mechs are better and eventually you want to have an optimized drop deck for every map.)
3. 1500 damage for solo drop in cw should be your target minimum, if you consistently find yourself doing less than 1,000 damage, you are a liability and not an asset to your team and need more training.
4. Learn how the queue works, how matches and maps are assigned, what game modes will launch, also check with your faction to make sure you are coordinating your efforts on the right planet (don't attack a planet at 96% when there is a planet sitting at 46% by switching away from planets that are already won or lost you maximize the amount of planets you can take in a given attack phase.)
5. CW is a team game more so than anything, I can't emphasis this enough. If you don't have a team or really want to do the lone wolf thing i recommend watching Sader or Sad Panda's streams on twitch just to learn the basics of coordinated movements and tactics.

#18 BigBenn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 571 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 08 March 2016 - 05:41 AM

I would join a team and listen and learn. The difference between a "quick drop" and a CW drop is quite a bit. You must be able to communicate in good manner, not just scream and shout.

CW is far more rewarding, win or lose, than a quick drop.

#19 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 08 March 2016 - 05:45 AM

Ignore everything that has been posted above, here's the truth: ( :P )
  • When CW Phase 3 begins in April
  • When you have joined a unit that organizes CW drops
Until those two criteria have been met, you have to understand it's probably not going to be a very good experience.

#20 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:01 AM

View PostSoulstrom, on 06 March 2016 - 11:00 AM, said:

Or if you like to shot them randomly into the air and cause massive amounts of terror among the enemy.

Exactly.

I sometimes take my LRM Warhawk (or more rarely an LRM only deck) in CW very specifically because I know NOBODY is running AMS or hugging hills "Becasue LRMS suck in comp play".

And becasue of that and the lack of cover in many of the engagament spaces, the effect is usually devastating.

I wouldn´t take it every match, but when I do take it it makes a huge difference... People hear "warning, incoming missile" and immediately panic and start screaming bloody murder. That psychological effect alone can win the game in many cases, becauee when they respawn they´re usually still pissed off to no end and too busy flaming LRMs to think straight... and that´s you melt them a second time and piss them off even more :D

Edited by Zerberus, 08 March 2016 - 06:03 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users