Archer Quirks Wishlist

BattleMechs

45 replies to this topic

#21 Anyone00

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 329 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:11 AM

Maybe make it able to maintain lock-on longer so it fire a volley of LRMs and torso twist away without loosing lock?

#22 Yankee77

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 410 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:24 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 07 March 2016 - 10:52 AM, said:

Armor on the sides and srm quriks. I want a brawler not a lrm boat.

Considering every variant's stock loadout has LRMs, I'm guessing an LRM boat is what we're getting. :)

That said, like the Catapult we may get generic missile quirks instead... though I wouldn't mind additional LRM 20 quirks to incentivize its intended purpose (much like the Hunchback 4J has LRM 10 quirks stacking with generic missile quirks.

#23 ReemusX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 299 posts
  • LocationMidwest USA

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:34 AM

Just remember...whatever the Archer gets....It will be nerfed later and the Mad Dog will get the buffs.

#24 Aetes Nakatomi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 571 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire, England

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:43 AM

I don't care what quirks it gets, just going to load up on LRMs and troll the PUG queue with my fellow ECM lurm boat buddies!

Edited by Aetes Nakatomi, 07 March 2016 - 11:46 AM.

#25 TKG

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 182 posts
  • LocationThe Sandhills of NC

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:46 AM

Of the perks I've seen listed I don't think anyone mentioned that the archer might need some armor or structural perks given that for a missile support unit it was fairly well protected what with 13 tons of armor on average. Likewise the base model should not have any heat management perks but the later models esp the hero version probably should. Technically since it' also would be moving no faster than a rifleman I cant see a justification for any movement perks.

As a complete side-note I do find it funny PGI didn't dare actually represent the most famous archer model as the hero mech; they basically made something up instead.

#26 Empyrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 210 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:58 AM

View PostTKG, on 07 March 2016 - 11:46 AM, said:

As a complete side-note I do find it funny PGI didn't dare actually represent the most famous archer model as the hero mech; they basically made something up instead.

Which is? Surely not Jaime Wolf's 'Mech, which is effectively Archer IIC. Well, at least the later one, previously he piloted standard ARC-2Ws.

#27 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 07 March 2016 - 12:03 PM

Remember NARC range buff and TAG range (energy weapon) buff.

#28 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 02:22 PM

View PostTKG, on 07 March 2016 - 11:46 AM, said:

Of the perks I've seen listed I don't think anyone mentioned that the archer might need some armor or structural perks given that for a missile support unit it was fairly well protected what with 13 tons of armor on average. Likewise the base model should not have any heat management perks but the later models esp the hero version probably should. Technically since it' also would be moving no faster than a rifleman I cant see a justification for any movement perks.

I did in fact suggest structure AND agility quirks!

View PostBarkem Squirrel, on 07 March 2016 - 12:03 PM, said:

Remember NARC range buff and TAG range (energy weapon) buff.

What about an AMS buff too?

#29 Gamuray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 866 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 07:15 PM

10000% missile cooldown

Posted Image Like that one time

#30 slide

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 07 March 2016 - 07:42 PM

How about having the mech be UN targetable, to simulate Morgan Kells epic show down with Minoru Kurita who was unable to lock or even hit Morgans Archer.

#31 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:03 PM

Not a fan of quirks, but I could see a +50% melee damage for those Popeye arms.

#32 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:13 PM

View PostAgent 0 Fortune, on 07 March 2016 - 08:03 PM, said:

Not a fan of quirks, but I could see a +50% melee damage for those Popeye arms.

They often mentioned that the advantage of deploying Archers compared to Catapults is that the former can punch when it gets close and personal.

#33 Steinar Bergstol

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 08 March 2016 - 04:33 AM

View PostHit the Deck, on 07 March 2016 - 08:13 PM, said:

They often mentioned that the advantage of deploying Archers compared to Catapults is that the former can punch when it gets close and personal.

Punch _or_ pick up a tree/lamppost/steel beam/your mech's arm or leg and beat you to death with it. :)

#34 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 08 March 2016 - 05:06 AM

For the 9 missile variant I want general missile heatgen and structure, that way it can be used for both lrms and srms.

#35 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:06 AM

On the 9 missile variant I'm probably going to try NARC + 8 LRM5s just for the trollz but eventually will switch it over to SRM boating.

#36 LegendaryArticuno

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 664 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:45 AM

If launch is just next week, when do we get the confirmed quirk list? Quirks will determine whether I buy Tempest or not.

#37 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 10:04 AM

Generic: increase missile velocity and decrease missile spread.

This gives all variants some generic missile boostiness, including SRMs for those who want to experiment with SRM builds. Unfortunately to be noticable/useful, the missile velocity quirk would have to be a pretty big number and PGI doesn't seem to like big numbers in quirks anymore. I'm thinking at least 33% and realistically I'd like to see 50%. (Or at least get the chance to test it on PTS. Hint, hint.)

Specific: increase LRM-20 cooldown, decrease LRM-20 heat generation, and decrease LRM-20 spread.

LRM-20 spread is ridiculous as stock, so needs the double reduction to make them useful. It's even more ridiculous when you remember that the IS LRM-20 weighs 10 tons. They need a massive buff to be useful for the weight you have to spend.

#38 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 08 March 2016 - 11:03 AM

I expect the 9-missile one to get the best missile quirks and all of them some level of generic missile + LRM, but I don't expect them to exceed anything we already have.

Especially on velocity, which is hilarious. You'll give a weapon with 1200 velocity 50% quick buffs, but it's a miracle if an LRM lobber gets more than 10%.

It's a PGI PIck Em.

#39 LegendaryArticuno

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 664 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:24 PM

If Archer gets LRM20 specific quirks... many will consider it the biggest waste of money they have ever spent.

LRM20 specific quirks will automatically categorize a mech as bottom-tier. Weaker general quirks would be much better than having strong-OP LRM20 quirks.

#40 Yankee77

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 410 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:56 PM

View PostLegendaryArticuno, on 08 March 2016 - 01:24 PM, said:

If Archer gets LRM20 specific quirks... many will consider it the biggest waste of money they have ever spent.

LRM20 specific quirks will automatically categorize a mech as bottom-tier. Weaker general quirks would be much better than having strong-OP LRM20 quirks.

*shrug* Quirks general emphasize the stock loadouts... and the Archer was always an LRM 20 mech, one of the few.

That said, they could easily do something like the Hunchback 4J: have generic missile quirks that makes it useful with any missiles (like the Catapult), then have LRM-20 specific ones that stack to make LRM20s viable weapons (just like running LRM10s on the Hunchback 4J is quite viable... just about the best LRM medium out there).

Besides, the Archer IS an LRM mech, period. There's _nothing_ wrong with having the quirks emphasize that. Just because LRMs happen to be sub-par right now is not a good reason to quirk it for SRMs. If anything, that's completely backwards: the way to make an LRM mech competitive is to fix LRMs, not change the mech's very purpose.

Or, if you prefer, the (potential) problem with the Archer is that LRMs are sub-par, not that it uses LRMs in the first place. If and when LRMs are fixed to be competitive, then the Archer will become as valuable as any other mech (assuming its other attributes, like hardpoint placement and hitboxes, are competitive).

Either way, the Archer is certainly meant to be a lurmer, and there's nothing wrong with the quirks emphasizing that (especially since the IS has plenty of SRM boat options already).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users