What Do You Guys Expect Your Atlas To Do?

88 replies to this topic

#21 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:44 AM

View Postcazidin, on 07 March 2016 - 08:24 AM, said:

"I came here to kick *** and chew bubblegum. And i'm all out of gum."-Duke Nukem piloting his custom Atlas, The War Head.

I'd have given bonus points if you'd used the rowdy one in the quote instead :P

Posted Image

#22 TheTipOfTheSpear

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:45 AM

View PostQueen of England, on 07 March 2016 - 08:37 AM, said:

If you're doing 600-1000 damage per game, you're certainly doing it right. The Atlas isn't a kamikaze.

Yeah, the damage output competes with the current meta mechs such as my banshee 3m with 5 lpl. I almost always rank within the first 2 players in terms of damage output every game. I genuinely enjoy my atlas alot more than the boorish laser boats that run about all day. There's just something about the sight of enemy mechs back pedaling for thier dear lives when they see a atlas within 300 meters.

#23 Malachy Karrde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 473 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:45 AM

The Atlas is a huge target. That said it's pretty tough if you torso twist. I use a dire wolf primarily and am an exclusive assault pilot for the most part. First of all, ignore the arrogant meta gamers. If you are in solo queue, I would highly advise one or two banks of lrm 10s and maybe 4 tons of ammo. It's very useful for a couple reasons, first, you can do damage as your team Nascars ahead of you and as opponents approach. Next, it will attract some of the enemy your direction. If you have another assault or a heavy with you, it's a very bad day for any light. I personally have been able to master snap shots with my er small lasers and can usually core a light as he makes his first pass. Next modules: you want radar deprivation to keep from being lrmed to death. Next, you want to have either hill climb or the one that allows you to spot mech if you are standing still. Name escapes me at the moment. A good load out that I use on my ddc or the champion atlas, I use 4 medium lasers or pulse, ac 20 fire linked with a srm 6, 2 lrm 10. I can usually do 500 plus damage with that loadout and can tank pretty well. In the solo queue, your first objective is to survive, second to do damage, thereby helping your team. If you get a single kill and kmdd, you did your part. Once you learn to play well though, you will do 4 or 5 kills and kmdd pretty regularly. We all have bad matches but the better you get, win or lose, the better you will do consistently. Also psr means nothing... the higher you get in tier, the more jerks you run into that you need to ignore. Tier 1 just means they ground longer. If your loadout stops working, then start making small adjustments until it works again. Just my .02.

Edited by Malachy Karrde, 07 March 2016 - 08:47 AM.

#24 TheTipOfTheSpear

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:48 AM

View Postcazidin, on 07 March 2016 - 08:24 AM, said:

"I came here to kick *** and chew bubblegum. And i'm all out of gum."-Duke Nukem piloting his custom Atlas, The War Head.

I need this in my banner.

#25 Zerberus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:53 AM

An Atlas /DW /KingCrab all have a very similar basic playstyle.

NONE of them are the initial tip of the spear, simply becasue they cannot fly (to catch up with the rest of the company).

Whats´"supposed" to happen is that the rest of the team (esp. the mediums and heavys, the "skirmishers"), should be opening up the enemy, spreading them out, and confusing them.

And when that has been achieved, THAT`s when the 100 tonners should come out of hiding, thereby inducing panic in the injured enemy team, and wreck face in the resulting chaos.

If you play a 100tonner in such a way that you might get into a situation that you have to run from, you´re doing it wrong. Being the first to push is a perfect example of this, it very rarely goes well. Posted Image

Edited by Zerberus, 07 March 2016 - 08:54 AM.

#26 TheTipOfTheSpear

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:54 AM

View PostMalachy Karrde, on 07 March 2016 - 08:45 AM, said:

The Atlas is a huge target. That said it's pretty tough if you torso twist. I use a dire wolf primarily and am an exclusive assault pilot for the most part. First of all, ignore the arrogant meta gamers. If you are in solo queue, I would highly advise one or two banks of lrm 10s and maybe 4 tons of ammo. It's very useful for a couple reasons, first, you can do damage as your team Nascars ahead of you and as opponents approach. Next, it will attract some of the enemy your direction. If you have another assault or a heavy with you, it's a very bad day for any light. I personally have been able to master snap shots with my er small lasers and can usually core a light as he makes his first pass. Next modules: you want radar deprivation to keep from being lrmed to death. Next, you want to have either hill climb or the one that allows you to spot mech if you are standing still. Name escapes me at the moment. A good load out that I use on my ddc or the champion atlas, I use 4 medium lasers or pulse, ac 20 fire linked with a srm 6, 2 lrm 10. I can usually do 500 plus damage with that loadout and can tank pretty well. In the solo queue, your first objective is to survive, second to do damage, thereby helping your team. If you get a single kill and kmdd, you did your part. Once you learn to play well though, you will do 4 or 5 kills and kmdd pretty regularly. We all have bad matches but the better you get, win or lose, the better you will do consistently. Also psr means nothing... the higher you get in tier, the more jerks you run into that you need to ignore. Tier 1 just means they ground longer. If your loadout stops working, then start making small adjustments until it works again. Just my .02.

Well I used to play World of Tanks and was a unicum on there. The bit**ing about stats over there is the reason why I threw that part of my life into a deep dark corner of my mind, never to be seen again. However, I tried lrms on my Atlas before. However, I swapped em for more srms because of just how huge the alpha strikes can be. Besides, even though I'm sorting advocating not charging, I would still like the fight to be close to me, thus no lrms for me. But I do like your train of thought. Raining lrms on them as you approach is a idea Ive thought of often. Just not my specific type of style.

#27 TheTipOfTheSpear

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:57 AM

View PostZerberus, on 07 March 2016 - 08:53 AM, said:

An Atlas /DW /KingCrab all have a very similar basic playstyle.

NONE of them are the initial tip of the spear, simply becasue they cannot fly (to catch up with the rest of the company).

Whats´"supposed" to happen is that the rest of the team (esp. the mediums and heavys, the "skirmishers"), should be opening up the enemy, spreading them out, and confusing them.

And when that has been achieved, THAT`s when the 100 tonners should come out of hiding, thereby inducing panic in the injured enemy team, and wreck face in the resulting chaos.

If you play a 100tonner in such a way that you might get into a situation that you have to run from, you´re doing it wrong. Being the first to push is a perfect example of this, it very rarely goes well. Posted Image

Well said sir. I'm thinking about changing my name now! But yes, I find that when there's a general melee ensuing, the sight of 100 tons of badassery rumbling towards the enemy is usually enough to secure the game. The question is when to decide to commit.

#28 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:59 AM

View PostTheTipOfTheSpear, on 07 March 2016 - 08:54 AM, said:

Well I used to play World of Tanks and was a unicum on there. The bit**ing about stats over there is the reason why I threw that part of my life into a deep dark corner of my mind, never to be seen again. However, I tried lrms on my Atlas before. However, I swapped em for more srms because of just how huge the alpha strikes can be. Besides, even though I'm sorting advocating not charging, I would still like the fight to be close to me, thus no lrms for me. But I do like your train of thought. Raining lrms on them as you approach is a idea Ive thought of often. Just not my specific type of style.

I run 3 LRM5s on my DDC a lot of times
alongside an AC20 and some lasers

A lot of times those lurms will attract the attention of those lights out hunting lurm boats and when they come in thinking they're going to get an easy lurm boat kill they get that AC20 in their face. :D

#29 Sigilum Sanctum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:59 AM

As an Atlas pilot myself, I expect others to live up to the mechs title as "The Brawling King"

As many have said, pushing blindly at the start of a match will lead to failure. Bide your time, watch the flow of the match, then become the tip of the spear when the time is right.

The Atlas is a titan, while not indestructable, it should be treated as such.

#30 TheTipOfTheSpear

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:07 AM

View PostSigilum Sanctum, on 07 March 2016 - 08:59 AM, said:

As an Atlas pilot myself, I expect others to live up to the mechs title as "The Brawling King"

As many have said, pushing blindly at the start of a match will lead to failure. Bide your time, watch the flow of the match, then become the tip of the spear when the time is right.

The Atlas is a titan, while not indestructable, it should be treated as such.

Oh then as a fellow atlas pilot to another, would you take flamers over your medium lasers? Flamers are incredibly useful in brawls but having lasers as your back when you inevitably run out of ammo towards the end game. However I find medium lasers generally useless in brawls.

Edited by TheTipOfTheSpear, 07 March 2016 - 09:09 AM.

#31 Sigilum Sanctum

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:33 AM

View PostTheTipOfTheSpear, on 07 March 2016 - 09:07 AM, said:

Oh then as a fellow atlas pilot to another, would you take flamers over your medium lasers? Flamers are incredibly useful in brawls but having lasers as your back when you inevitably run out of ammo towards the end game. However I find medium lasers generally useless in brawls.

I dont use backup lasers on my S, and I haven't given it much thought on my DDC to be honest. It's something I'd like to experiment though.

#32 Rekkon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 325 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:45 AM

Team did not support push?

#33 Kh0rn

• Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:47 AM

An Atlas should be build for all ranges. It is 100 ton machine build for assaulting positions and acting as a denial force. I never operate a Atlas that is build for either short or long, instead of opt for all range fighting. Many times I have seen pure brawling atlases get torn apart by one mech simply because that pilot had a long range weapon. What makes me cringe even further is when some Atlas's don't even utilized there energy points on the arms and in the center torso. ( AS7-D and S ) Its kinda what the hell are you trying to do. The Atlas is suppose to be a large fully armed and armored combat machine. It is not suppose to go fast. It is suppose to carry the most armor and firepower to get the job done. I'v had many times where I lost both side torsos and still had my center lasers to fight with. In combat An Atlas is suppose to lead assaults into enemy formations along with support for allied mechs as it advances, Primary to soak up and dish out damage. Mounting a LRM rack is not a bad idea, but totally dedicating the AS7 to a full missile boat is a waste of what it was actually designed to be.

For the S I generally have something like this.

STD- 325
4 ML
3 SRM-4+A
1 LRM-15+A
1 AC20

for the AS7-D

STD-335
2 ERLL or LL
2 ML
2 SRM-6+A
1 AC-20

Those builds can operate at any range. Most effective way to run a Atlas in my mind.

#34 TheTipOfTheSpear

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:48 AM

View PostRekkon, on 07 March 2016 - 09:45 AM, said:

Team did not support push?

This.

#35 TheTipOfTheSpear

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:54 AM

View PostKh0rn, on 07 March 2016 - 09:47 AM, said:

An Atlas should be build for all ranges. It is 100 ton machine build for assaulting positions and acting as a denial force. I never operate a Atlas that is build for either short or long, instead of opt for all range fighting. Many times I have seen pure brawling atlases get torn apart by one mech simply because that pilot had a long range weapon. What makes me cringe even further is when some Atlas's don't even utilized there energy points on the arms and in the center torso. ( AS7-D and S ) Its kinda what the hell are you trying to do. The Atlas is suppose to be a large fully armed and armored combat machine. It is not suppose to go fast. It is suppose to carry the most armor and firepower to get the job done. I'v had many times where I lost both side torsos and still had my center lasers to fight with. In combat An Atlas is suppose to lead assaults into enemy formations along with support for allied mechs as it advances, Primary to soak up and dish out damage. Mounting a LRM rack is not a bad idea, but totally dedicating the AS7 to a full missile boat is a waste of what it was actually designed to be.

For the S I generally have something like this.

STD- 325
4 ML
3 SRM-4+A
1 LRM-15+A
1 AC20

for the AS7-D

STD-335
2 ERLL or LL
2 ML
2 SRM-6+A
1 AC-20

Those builds can operate at any range. Most effective way to run a Atlas in my mind.

Well, I generally don't like a mech that's a generalist. Especially a atlas. Brawling is a atlas's forte and it's bread and butter. If you stop every now and then to pull off a few snipes with your lasers and shoot off a few lrms in a max 60kph mech, how long would it take to actually reach real combat? And with your slots taken up by lrms and lasers your trades are not nearly as heat efficient or as strong they can be. Again just my opinion, but I feel a atlas that's not brawling is a wasted atlas.

#36 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:54 AM

There is not another mech in game currently that can inspire PUGs to push better than an Atlas.

If you notice on your minimap...PUGs will follow an Atlas instinctively. You are a walking 4 story building bristling with guns and armor...and it makes PUGs feel safe walking in your foot prints as you trudge along.

If you are in a space whale, a king crab, whatever....you will get left behind and nascar'ed most likely...in an Atlas though...PUGs will follow the Atlas.

Use this to your own strength and benefit...be a leader of the charge. PUGs will follow you...

#37 Uncl Munkeh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 329 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationArizona

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:56 AM

You should put the armor where it will do the most good. It's not even about the weapons loadout.

The example being, having an Atlas in the back of a fight means it will frequently die last, but die it will. I've seen this so many times it's almost silly.

Having it in the front of the line, it will also die, it will die fast. If the group is properly motivated at breaking the enemy line, it's demise will certainly help the team win, if only for the fact that the opponent has to drill through a LOT of armor to stop it. This gives up their position AND forces them to expose to take those shots on the Atlas. I've seen this work so many times, I can't imagine why a pilot would do the former....

Furthermore, if it is a brawl, hugging one opponent assault and devastating it most assuredly makes it combat ineffective AND it makes the other team frequently shoot their own assault OR not fire. It's a 1:1 trade that is completely worth it, IF the team follows.

#38 TheTipOfTheSpear

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:58 AM

View PostGyrok, on 07 March 2016 - 09:54 AM, said:

There is not another mech in game currently that can inspire PUGs to push better than an Atlas.

If you notice on your minimap...PUGs will follow an Atlas instinctively. You are a walking 4 story building bristling with guns and armor...and it makes PUGs feel safe walking in your foot prints as you trudge along.

If you are in a space whale, a king crab, whatever....you will get left behind and nascar'ed most likely...in an Atlas though...PUGs will follow the Atlas.

Use this to your own strength and benefit...be a leader of the charge. PUGs will follow you...

Yes, pubbys may follow atlases more than your average assault, but that's still not alot. For a early game headstrong push to succeed you have to have at least half of your team engage in close proximity within the first minute of your push. Also, that means a dead or weakened atlas. My philosophy that I have been advocating this post is to wait for the combat to develop, find the isolated group of enemy's and make a push into them. Divide and conquer. Again just my own respectful opinion. That's all.

#39 TheTipOfTheSpear

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:06 AM

The dilemma of a atlas pilot indeed. Thus this post.

Edited by TheTipOfTheSpear, 07 March 2016 - 10:09 AM.

#40 RangerGee412

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 308 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:12 AM

I enjoy being in the front to lead the charge in both the Atlas and stalker. I don't play to survive, I plan on going in and soaking up and putting out as much damage as I possibly can.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users