47 replies to this topic

#1 3xnihilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:20 AM

So I know conventional wisdom says buy 3 variants of a chassis, get the one(s) you like to elite and move on to the next chassis. However, after the skill tree nerf, is this still the best strategy? Especially for a newer player or an alternate account where one is limited on options starting out. Case in point: on my clan account right now I own 1 hellbringer and that is it. There are many clan mechs I would like to try out, but my instinct is to buy 2 more hellbringers. Since this is not my main account I am looking at a significant amount of time to actually save the cbills and level those mechs. So the impatient side of me says: "Buy more, different mechs! The skill tree doesn't make much difference anymore!" So, back to my original question, is it still worth taking the time to elite a chassis before moving on to the next?

#2 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:21 AM

The power gap between a basic and an elite map is much smaller now than it was before the nerf but there's still a noticeable difference between the two and if you love the mech why not elite it?

#3 TheTipOfTheSpear

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:26 AM

View Post3xnihilo, on 07 March 2016 - 09:20 AM, said:

So I know conventional wisdom says buy 3 variants of a chassis, get the one(s) you like to elite and move on to the next chassis. However, after the skill tree nerf, is this still the best strategy? Especially for a newer player or an alternate account where one is limited on options starting out. Case in point: on my clan account right now I own 1 hellbringer and that is it. There are many clan mechs I would like to try out, but my instinct is to buy 2 more hellbringers. Since this is not my main account I am looking at a significant amount of time to actually save the cbills and level those mechs. So the impatient side of me says: "Buy more, different mechs! The skill tree doesn't make much difference anymore!" So, back to my original question, is it still worth taking the time to elite a chassis before moving on to the next?

Well, it depends on the mech. If your a close in brawler, like a Atlas, you need that speed tweet and extra torso twisting to get the most put of your brawling. But if it's a jagermech with double gauss....I mean your hitting them away from 600m or more so I don't think your torso twisting is going to be that important.

#4 Kodyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:39 AM

This really shouldn't even be a question...

Yes, of course it's still worth it. Always, unless you don't plan on using the mech in question. Speed tweak? Double basics? Why would you not want that?

smh....

#5 Chimera_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 446 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:42 AM

In general, you should do fine without eliting mechs right away. I got about 10 or so different chassis before I started eliting them. The difference isn't huge, especially for low heat mechs.

It's something you want to do at some point for sure, but it's not necessary to play well, especially not at tier 4.

#6 Tatula

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 683 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:47 AM

There is a BIG advantage in keeping just one account - modules. You can share modules between Clan and I.S. mechs if you just have them in one account.

On your original question. Definitely worth eliting all your mechs even if you only plan to keep one variant. The x2 multiplier helps a lot.

#7 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:55 AM

So, a little clarification. My question is not if it is worth EVER eliting a mech or not, it is whether the priority is still buy 3 variants, elite them, then get the next chassis or if there was now more weight in favor of buying a few different mechs for a more diverse hangar before going back to elite your favorites.

Ps. The clan alt occurred because I am a Davion loyalist on this account and I am still holding onto a small hope that CW will be worth playing someday. So clan account for clan CW (I may be an optimist).

#8 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:03 AM

I would say before you get too bored with 3 dsame omni echs that all play the same, buy another one.

Who knows, maybe you like the next mech do much more that you will never play the hellbie again? If you only have one mech buy something different.
In the end, there are only 2 things in the skill tree now that are worth it, speed tweak and double heat skills. the module slot is so much later when you are still at saving credits for mechs so don't worry about mastery.

I recently bought a single black knight and played it for a while, had it basicee and 43k XP on the thing which is all you need to master it. And only then I bought the other two I needed. And it is effective even with basics only so don't worry too much Posted Image

#9 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:05 AM

You'll want the double basics and elite skills for sure, speed tweak heat reduction and cool down are pretty mandatory no matter how small the bonus may be

#10 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:13 AM

Not really a huge deal if you aren't playing those mechs in CW, also you are in T4 so you don't really even need basics other than the 2 for heat control.

#11 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:19 AM

Eh, I've always felt, even before the recent adjustments, that there's no "need" to master mechs. I still have a few that make it into my CW drop deck that aren't mastered and do jsut fine with them.

Now if you want to squeak out the best stats on a mech then go for it. If you're a newer player who doesn't have an extensive hangar built up yet, I would say it's less important to master a mech than it is to get mechs you enjoy and do well in and getting them built the way you want a chassis before worrying about buying 3 of them just to master them

#12 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:22 AM

View PostSandpit, on 07 March 2016 - 10:19 AM, said:

Eh, I've always felt, even before the recent adjustments, that there's no "need" to master mechs. I still have a few that make it into my CW drop deck that aren't mastered and do jsut fine with them.

I'm similar to him, I just level my mechs in CW as its slightly less boring thatn the same quickplay we've had since CB. Also my friends can drop in whatever mechs they want.

That being said, I still wouldn't solo drop in non-basic mechs in CW if you haven't gathered a fair amount of skill with the game - your teammates will hate you.

#13 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:23 AM

View Postsycocys, on 07 March 2016 - 10:13 AM, said:

Not really a huge deal if you aren't playing those mechs in CW, also you are in T4 so you don't really even need basics other than the 2 for heat control.

eh, I've got a few mechs that regularly make it into my CW drop decks that aren't anything but just basic

#14 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:30 AM

View PostSandpit, on 07 March 2016 - 10:23 AM, said:

eh, I've got a few mechs that regularly make it into my CW drop decks that aren't anything but just basic

Yes, but you know where the "w" key and "LMB" are.

#15 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:46 AM

View Postsycocys, on 07 March 2016 - 10:30 AM, said:

Yes, but you know where the "w" key and "LMB" are.

lol true, I also know how to watch my mini map, hit R, prioritize targets, call out target locations, position myself for best firing solutions, etc. :P

The other side to mastering mechs is that spending that much time in a chassis gets you quite a bit of experience in what works well for it and the wight class.

#16 Big Tin Man

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:28 AM

Things most mech pilots NEVER say:

I wish I had a smaller heat cap
I wish my heat dissipated a bit slower, it's cold in here
All of this fast torso twisting is giving me motion sickness, I wish it was slower.
These weapons are very loud and fire too fast, it's damaging my hearing. If they didn't fire as much, that would be better.

#17 Burke IV

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:35 AM

Unelited mech are pure misery to play. The point of it is (as far i can tell) that your playing experience will be so bad, possibly combined with limited time, that you will pay real money to escape from it. It is pure fail IMO and really only leads to you taking your crap mech into game after game and often dragging your whole team down because your slow, steer badly, cant twist or turn and over heat alot.

#18 SuomiWarder

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationSacramento area, California

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:35 AM

If you are playing for fun, then no reason to force yourself to do the same mech with slight differences over and over to master them. I would say just keep things reasonable. Maybe stick to three different mech lines, adding a new one to the trio with the goal of mastering three eventually but spreading your play time out between three or so different chassis.

#19 GRiPSViGiL

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 07 March 2016 - 12:15 PM

Since the skill tree and XP system is borderline pointless now it should just be deleted. I wouldn't worry about the minimal boosts for actually eliting the mechs. The benefit is so negligible that it won't show a difference on the battlefield.

They won't revamp the skill tree since they are terrible at actual game design, which is their job yet they kinda stink at it. Baffling.

Anyway, If the skill tree was totally revamped to have a reason or create some depth in allowing player choice concerning quirks and builds coined with the module system it would be glorious. And yet it always goes back to how lazy and/or incompetent they are at developing this game.

#20 Burke IV

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 12:19 PM

so does pinpoint actually do anything yet? Sorry if this is a little ot

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users