15 replies to this topic

#1 sam wesson

• PipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 54 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:21 AM

I have been playing the Ravens as my first mechs. I have the 3L and the 4x and done the basic on both.

If I buy the Huginn, will that count as my third chassis for mastering the Ravens?

Thanks everyone.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:54 AM

Of course it will.
It is a unique variant, and for getting elites you need three unique variants.

Just be aware, the Huginn is an ammunition-only Battlemech. It has jump capability but the 4X jumps better. It has two launchers, each can go up to 20 missile tubes at once. It has 4 ballistics, and yes with an XL 180 you can pack in a jumpjet, AC/20, almost full armor and 3 tons of ammo. (Yes that's LOTS of fun!)

Just be aware, you are 100% ammo dependent with the Huginn.

That said it is pretty sweet. Good luck!

#3 Fobhopper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crusader
  • The Crusader
  • 344 posts
  • LocationClan Nova Cat agent working for Davion

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:02 AM

View Postsam wesson, on 07 March 2016 - 10:21 AM, said:

I have been playing the Ravens as my first mechs. I have the 3L and the 4x and done the basic on both.

If I buy the Huginn, will that count as my third chassis for mastering the Ravens?

Thanks everyone.

Yes, and the huginn has one of the most jankiest builds you can do in the game and get away with it. you can run an AC20 on that thing with an XL engine, and ruin someone's day real fast. If you can get behind an enemy mech and score 2 solid shots on their back torso, you can kill them. You wont have very many shots, but nobody normally expects a raven to have an AC20. Its fun, but you are going to live dangerously.

#4 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:27 AM

I really like how both replies to the OP have included the Boom chicken.

The Huginn used to run 2 SRM4s very well. Most removed the Machine guns to fit more ammo for the SRM4s because they fired so fast.

They reduced the quirks for SRM4 a little. It still has high generic missile cooldown quirks. I moved to running 2 SRM6's with Artemis, and play it more as a hit and run mech now, rather than a backstabbing DPS monster. It's quite a bit less fun to play, and the Oxide is a better SRM Light mech now, however, It is definitely a unique way to play the Raven chassis. I died a lot leveling my Huginn, and you will too! :D

#5 vankash

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 06:21 AM

Totally agree with Boulangerie... the Huginn is lots of fun, but I certainly had much more feast-or-famine (or maybe it's better to say "wildly inconsistent") in my games with it than in my other Ravens: sometimes you'll get 150pts of damage and two or three kills, sometimes you'll get 500pts of damage and no kills. Part of this is that the standard loadout (2 srm4s and 4 mgs) make it kind of like a vulture... you wait a bit for the big mechs to damage each other, then you race in and start killing all of the mechs with damaged armor.

I'm sure that there are better Huginn players out there who can give you good advice, but I classify the Huginn as "most fun mech when it's fun, most frustrating mech when it's not".

#6 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 March 2016 - 06:45 AM

Im still running with SRM4 and MGs on my Huggin and it is by far my favorite mech in CW for when I like to go compeltely batshitcrazy and annoy enemies. My best result until now was (after the quirks reduction) 4 kills in CW solo defense because I was AFK during the mech selection part once the drop type/map was known.
In the end I didnt get any more kills purely because I ran out of ammunition... but I still managed to blow myself up and leg an ACH with an Artystrike at my feet :D

#7 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 09 March 2016 - 07:09 AM

View PostFobhopper, on 07 March 2016 - 11:02 AM, said:

Yes, and the huginn has one of the most jankiest builds you can do in the game and get away with it. you can run an AC20 on that thing with an XL engine, and ruin someone's day real fast. If you can get behind an enemy mech and score 2 solid shots on their back torso, you can kill them. You wont have very many shots, but nobody normally expects a raven to have an AC20. Its fun, but you are going to live dangerously.

28 shots. You get 28 shots. That's 560 damage if they all hit.

Personally I prefer the 4x for AC20 ravens but post hugibird nerf my Hugi also runs an ac20 build.

#8 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 10 March 2016 - 12:05 AM

View PostKoniving, on 07 March 2016 - 10:54 AM, said:

Of course it will.
It is a unique variant, and for getting elites you need three unique variants.

Just be aware, the Huginn is an ammunition-only Battlemech. It has jump capability but the 4X jumps better. It has two launchers, each can go up to 20 missile tubes at once. It has 4 ballistics, and yes with an XL 180 you can pack in a jumpjet, AC/20, almost full armor and 3 tons of ammo. (Yes that's LOTS of fun!)

Just be aware, you are 100% ammo dependent with the Huginn.

That said it is pretty sweet. Good luck!

View PostFobhopper, on 07 March 2016 - 11:02 AM, said:

do any of you happen to have that build in smurfy?

#9 Doctor Dinosaur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 271 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:00 AM

Something like this I guess: RVN-4X

#10 Fobhopper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crusader
  • The Crusader
  • 344 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 01:00 PM

View PostLupis Volk, on 10 March 2016 - 12:05 AM, said:

\
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d52e6dfc034adc8
161 armor, XL 250 engine =115/124kph, ac20 with 14 shots.

Or you could drop the engine a little
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...715827dafe86b2b
232 armor, XL 235 engine = 109/117kph, ac20 14 shots, or you could lose a ton of armor to put in another ton of ammo, but either way, you can ruin someones day.

Edited by Fobhopper, 10 March 2016 - 01:00 PM.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 03:11 PM

View PostLupis Volk, on 10 March 2016 - 12:05 AM, said:

Raven 4X.
As seen here.

Huginn version.

FUNNY vid.... But this is one, old and two, punishable. So don't do this.

Note, Ravens in the videos are subject to minor alterations. Newest one is the "Leapshot".

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 04:29 PM

View PostFobhopper, on 10 March 2016 - 01:00 PM, said:

\
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d52e6dfc034adc8
161 armor, XL 250 engine =115/124kph, ac20 with 14 shots.

Or you could drop the engine a little
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...715827dafe86b2b
232 armor, XL 235 engine = 109/117kph, ac20 14 shots, or you could lose a ton of armor to put in another ton of ammo, but either way, you can ruin someones day.

Your 232 version cannot function; it is missing 1 heatsink.

Your 161 has a nice engine, but ammo limitation and no backup weapon at all makes it a very hit or miss. Interestingly that's about the stock armor of a Raven 3L.

-----
Back to the OP:
To note: My versions are both 192 armor (stock of a Jagermech; which is an Anti-Air machine) and 3 tons of ammunition, with maximum potential taken out of the Raven's hitboxes.
Posted Image
As shown, the rear hitboxes virtually don't exist, especially considering the torso twist. At 160 meters, that cockpit window is the same size as the 'o' of the crosshair. Considering the Raven bounces with every hobbling step, unless you stand perfectly still nothing will ever deliberately cockpit shot you, and as lasers are mostly what you'll have 'touch' the cockpit, you'll be fine.

The speed is the same as stock for a Raven 4X. With a weapon like the AC/20, a bit too much speed is bound to draw more attention than you want (though it can be useful to get away from attention it's true), it is also very possible to 'miss' when going faster. The 180 engine 'warrants' a cautious play-style. Check corners before traversing. Observe enemy behavior. Slip in unnoticed or given the amount of forward armor, tank like a beast and feel like an unquirked Hunchback 4G.

Edited by Koniving, 10 March 2016 - 04:34 PM.

#13 sam wesson

• PipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 54 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:53 AM

OK. I bought it. Rushed out and got caught in a corner. Boom, chicken goes splat. 2nd drop I helped guard base, 1 kill assist.

This morning I changed it the srm4's and tried in the testing grounds. With the current quirks it goes, boom, boom, pause, pause, boom, boom.(chain fire enabled). So I think I will leave it with the 4 chain guns.

It has just enough jump jet to help climb hills. Engine is adequate. Gimme a week and I will have it basic'd.

I do have a doubt that I will be able to do much damage before being seen though.

#14 Fobhopper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crusader
  • The Crusader
  • 344 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:16 AM

View Postsam wesson, on 11 March 2016 - 09:53 AM, said:

OK. I bought it. Rushed out and got caught in a corner. Boom, chicken goes splat. 2nd drop I helped guard base, 1 kill assist.

This morning I changed it the srm4's and tried in the testing grounds. With the current quirks it goes, boom, boom, pause, pause, boom, boom.(chain fire enabled). So I think I will leave it with the 4 chain guns.

It has just enough jump jet to help climb hills. Engine is adequate. Gimme a week and I will have it basic'd.

I do have a doubt that I will be able to do much damage before being seen though.

The raven is a hit and run mech, if you stop for any reason you die. The boom chicken build is built specifically to kill bigger mech than you (or at least heavily damage them) and get the hell out of there using cover to hide your legs. Dont rush at the enemy, let them come to you, and then flank them, hit them and run away. Rinse, repeat. Thats how you run a boom chicken.

Fixed the loadout, http://mwo.smurfy-ne...991106b600e4812
got 10 heatsinks, 215 armor, 225xl engine, still only 14 rounds, but honestly you most likely wont live long enough to use all 14 rounds.
Personally this is how I am currently running my boom chicken: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5ff0fde3e6d8f40
10 heatsinks, 215 armor, 225XL engine, 2 SRM4's w/2 tons of ammo, 1 AC5 w/2 tons of ammo. The build requires no facetime, great alpha damage that doesnt rely entirely on a single weapon or hardpoint, and still fast enough to get in and get out. A 22 damage alpha on the backside of any mech is going to completely remove all the armor, and potentially get at the structure.

#15 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:28 PM

The trick is to get out of there before they turn to face you. You want to use your jump jet (s) to get a good flank, drop off your payload, and then GTFO of there quick. You have decent structure quirks, but don't think you can tank any kind of damage. The quirks will let you get an extra couple of strafing runs in there, or allow you to compete against another brawling light if you can land your shots. I don't see any point in chain firing them anymore. You want to drop your shots in, and there's no ghost heat anyway. I used to chain fire when the cooldown was so low because you could keep them shaken up, but now you want all your shot to hit the same general area.

Whether you want to run the Machine guns is personal preference really. 4 MGs Is added DPS, but requires face time, and I'd avoid using them completely until near the end of the match. Don't fall into the trap of thinking your 4 MG's lets you compete against a Heavy's DPS :) Also, 1-2 MG's is pretty much a waste of tonnage.

#16 sam wesson

• PipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 54 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 11 March 2016 - 02:02 PM

Alright, tried it with dual srm6 and with srm4 with streak.

Got into a fight with a commando, a Raven and something else. I was sneaking around back and these guys were on point. Saw me and came running. I lasted about 2 minutes. The commando took a break and the Raven pushed. We left the third one behind. Definitely could of won with more experience. Srm's were pushing them back, chain guns almost constant. Left circles and right circles. The Raven tried to get behind me but my quirks and mech skills already earned let me fire on him and get back behind.

So, I do feel like I might potentially get this Raven thing down.

You know each Raven has some serious use on the field. If I can set my mood to learning instead of being highly aggravated.

The C bill boost is nice BTW.

GG y'all, woot!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users