28 replies to this topic

#1 Rush2112

• PipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 23 posts
  • LocationWoodland< CA

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:20 PM

So after listening to the town hall last week I have been bothered by the new way the cheaters are being dealt with in the game. Part of the reason I have been playing MWO for so long and have been what I like to think a pretty important contributor (money wise) to the game is because it was one of the very few games that did not stand for cheaters and people that use hacks. If you were caught, you are banned and your name is put up for everyone to see. Done. I find this to be a great way to keep people honest in the game. Doesn’t matter how much money, if any you have put into the game, if you cheat and break the rules that you singed then you are gone and we will let out tight nit community know by posting your name so they can keep an eye out for you. This to me is standing by your company’s word and one of the good ways that sets MWO and PGI apart from other games and publishers.

I understand that from some reason the number has dropped from a “large known group”, “and some very well known players” (last town hall this is what Russ described the cheaters as) to 1 percent or less, and that PGI has decided to just keep an eye on these players. Did I miss something? I have thought about what could be the reason for this and the real and only thing that I can think of is simple, these players are very, very well known and that the loss of money from these players would be a pretty great amount. Maybe even some blackmail (pretty far-fetched but you never know). I just don’t understand the complete turnaround on this and the way it is being dealt with. There was little to no real explication on this as well during the town hall.

Now I have talked with some players that I play with pretty regularly and they are in the same boat as I am, and some are very upset about this. I personally this that if the number is 1 percent or less now then what is the big deal? If this action of banning cheaters and posting their names is what your players want and like, why not just do it instated of flipping it around and just letting it be. I would like to this that there are many other players that are as well that might be thinking the same thing.

#2 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:43 PM

Put the cheater in a special Hell Tier call Tier 666, where they can only be match against each other.
May The Best Cheat Win And The Salt Pure.

#3 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,470 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:05 PM

Rush: every time Piranha does one of those public ban waves the forum likes so much, they weaken their ability to detect and deal with other cheaters.

The cheaters themselves are incidental - the real fight is against the cheat writers, who're constantly looking for information on Piranha's systems to try and find a way to make their cheats harder to detect. Every piece of information the cheat writers get makes their job easier and Piranha's harder. On top of that, monitoring known cheats to get a better sense of the cheat software being used makes it easier for Piranha to find cheaters in the future. Keeping a very small handful of lab rats makes sense from an overall game-cleaning standpoint. Do rest assured that the lab rats in question are compromised and will not be allowed to 'make good' on their cheats. The boot is simply hovering for a while before it drops.

Public name-and-shame banning is great for player morale but bad for actually keeping the game as clean as possible. Gotta pick one, and I know which one I'm rooting for.

#4 gamingogre

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 133 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:16 PM

Then lets have both. Keep feeding us the banned cheaters and use delays to this if it helps catch more cheaters. The last few days have gotten stupid with the cheating. If the cheater levels stay up for long, some of us will quit playing. Every game I have played in the past that got to thick with cheaters, I quit. I have little patience for such !@#$.

#5 Rush2112

• PipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 23 posts
  • LocationWoodland< CA

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:23 PM

View Post1453 R, on 07 March 2016 - 10:05 PM, said:

Rush: every time Piranha does one of those public ban waves the forum likes so much, they weaken their ability to detect and deal with other cheaters.

The cheaters themselves are incidental - the real fight is against the cheat writers, who're constantly looking for information on Piranha's systems to try and find a way to make their cheats harder to detect. Every piece of information the cheat writers get makes their job easier and Piranha's harder. On top of that, monitoring known cheats to get a better sense of the cheat software being used makes it easier for Piranha to find cheaters in the future. Keeping a very small handful of lab rats makes sense from an overall game-cleaning standpoint. Do rest assured that the lab rats in question are compromised and will not be allowed to 'make good' on their cheats. The boot is simply hovering for a while before it drops.

Public name-and-shame banning is great for player morale but bad for actually keeping the game as clean as possible. Gotta pick one, and I know which one I'm rooting for.

This is a good explanation. With this was stated during the town hall.

#6 nitra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:23 PM

you want to know what happened??? think along the lines of cut and looking elsewhere.

thats what happened .

#7 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:29 PM

if pgi was serious about working out how these cheat programs work, they can have one of their employees on a shell account, purchase the cheat software. sandbox it, disassemble it, figure out how it works (and if you are sufficiently vindictive, leak a crack on [redacted], id love to see if the aimbot people's claims hold up in court).

Edited by LordNothing, 07 March 2016 - 10:30 PM.

#8 Daelen Rottiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 334 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 March 2016 - 12:56 AM

Expect this thread like all the others to be deleted or moderated soon.

But we need to keep up the discussion about cheaters - we need transparency about the subject - the comunity needs faith in PGI being honest and dealing with cheaters as best as possible.

#9 Thunderbird Anthares

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:02 AM

all i know is that i still occasionally run into one

and its not just aimbots either - seems to me that only the trash bottom of the barrel uses those... "lag shield on being targeted" and "wallhack" cheats seem more common - and much harder to spot

#10 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:08 AM

i know i had a guy get a good head shot on me today, not quite fatal, i was taken down to orange structure though. i was behind some dense foliage on forest colony, i was pretty much shooting at the center of the targeting box, and he was doing the same. it could have been a lucky shot, maybe he has his settings low and the foliage got culled, but it certainly smelled fishy.

Edited by LordNothing, 08 March 2016 - 01:09 AM.

#11 Vyx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 170 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:11 AM

It is simply not in their (PGI's) interest to spend any effort policing cheaters. It cost them time and resources, and nets them nothing (no $$$).

From a business standpoint, it's best to: ignore it, downplay it, and just crank out more skins to sell.

#12 thehiddenedge

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 326 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:19 AM

Yeah those things are such a pain, jumping around, blasting you in the back with their small pulse lasers, that is... until you leg dem sum *******.

Death to cheeters!

#13 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:20 AM

View PostVyx, on 08 March 2016 - 01:11 AM, said:

It is simply not in their (PGI's) interest to spend any effort policing cheaters. It cost them time and resources, and nets them nothing (no $$$).

From a business standpoint, it's best to: ignore it, downplay it, and just crank out more skins to sell.

sadly this is true. sometimes i even think pgi is getting paid to look the other way.

#14 Hades Trooper

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,461 posts
  • LocationWillow Tree, NSW

Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:23 AM

View PostDaelen Rottiger, on 08 March 2016 - 01:00 AM, said:

We need to give PGI credit here - whoever knew him knows that he spent LOTS of money into the game.

but as stated - naming and shaming might get us deleted here

Didn't our good mate Remarius, sarcasm for those not getting the tone, have like 3 gold mechs, EVERY hero mech and every mech pack before getting banned?

#15 MrMadguy

• 2,203 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:34 AM

You should realize, what happened between this two town halls - Steam release failed. At the moment of first town hall results were promising - many new players on Steam, successive Warhammer sales. Devs were made dizzy by their relative success and made some careless announcements. But now, after Steam release has obviously failed, they regretted it - they need their whales again.

#16 RockmachinE

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:45 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 07 March 2016 - 10:29 PM, said:

if pgi was serious about working out how these cheat programs work, they can have one of their employees on a shell account, purchase the cheat software. sandbox it, disassemble it, figure out how it works (and if you are sufficiently vindictive, leak a crack on [redacted], id love to see if the aimbot people's claims hold up in court).

I like this.

#17 kesmai

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:13 AM

Only 1% are cheaters, according to russ. So no problem as you Will meet one in roughly every 4th game you drop.

oh, wAit every 4th game... hmmm.

a drop in cw consists of 96 mechs. Does that also mean, if i take 1%, that in every cw drop there is a cheater?
but as russ said no real problem...
i have To stop here. +where's that fugging banwave?

Edited by kesmai, 08 March 2016 - 02:19 AM.

#18 Daelen Rottiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 334 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:21 AM

View Postkesmai, on 08 March 2016 - 02:13 AM, said:

Only 1% are cheaters, according to russ. So no problem as you Will meet one in roughly every 4th game you drop.

a drop in cw consists of 96 mechs. Does that also mean, if i take 1%, that in every cw drop there is a cheater?
i have To stop here. +where's that fugging banwave?

lol - gimme the math behind that!

#19 Kyynele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 973 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:32 AM

View Postkesmai, on 08 March 2016 - 02:13 AM, said:

Also, if you play 1 on 1 duels in a lobby against one guy for 100 matches, it will be 100% certain he cheated in at least one of them.

It's only logical.

#20 kesmai

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:37 AM

I see, stochastics are your field of expertise kyynele.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users