Doin It Rite?

Achievements Gameplay

26 replies to this topic

#1 GeoFalke

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:17 PM

Been a MechWarrior going on what, a week now, and this is one of my best matches yet.

video might not have registered the trim yet, so if it starts in the mechlab just skip to 1:50 or so.

#2 MoonUnitBeta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:40 PM

no directional arrow, you target enemies, you hit the target, use of cover, lasted longer than 1 minute, stuck with teammates, minimal team damage, fled strategically...

PLEASE WAIT...
[ANALYZING.]
[ANALYZING..]
[ANALYZING...]
COMPLETE!

[RESULT]: BETTER THAN 90% OF MWO PLAYERS.

edit: good work by the way Posted Image GG!

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 08 March 2016 - 09:42 PM.

#3 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:44 PM

60+ FPS?
TELL ME YOUR SECRETS!

#4 Chimera_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 446 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:47 PM

Seeing your enemies play like that give me a headache.

Nice job though, that's pretty impressive for a brand new player.

One thing I'd point out to improve on would be twisting to spread damage. You took a lot of damage to the rear when you could've been twisting. Otherwise, you're already better than the majority of players in this game, I think ;p

Those enemy players...

Nightmare fuel.

#5 LegendaryArticuno

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 664 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:51 PM

The Mechbay portion in the beginning hurt my eyes a bit

14x Rear ST armour - do you intend on reversing backwards into the enemy?
4x MG's - better to dump these for dual heat sinks

I would probably got 2x LPLs and whatever SPLs you can fit on it.

#6 GeoFalke

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:55 PM

View PostChimera11, on 08 March 2016 - 09:47 PM, said:

Seeing your enemies play like that give me a headache.

Nice job though, that's pretty impressive for a brand new player.

One thing I'd point out to improve on would be twisting to spread damage. You took a lot of damage to the rear when you could've been twisting. Otherwise, you're already better than the majority of players in this game, I think ;p

Those enemy players...

Nightmare fuel.

I did do a little wiggling, but at that moment i was just trying to make sure I didn't get the feet tangled up on anything that coulda gotten me killed

View PostTroutmonkey, on 08 March 2016 - 09:44 PM, said:

60+ FPS?
TELL ME YOUR SECRETS!

expensive *** laptop with a 965m graphics card :D

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 08 March 2016 - 09:40 PM, said:

no directional arrow, you target enemies, you hit the target, use of cover, lasted longer than 1 minute, stuck with teammates, minimal team damage, fled strategically...

PLEASE WAIT...
[ANALYZING.]
[ANALYZING..]
[ANALYZING...]
COMPLETE!

thanks, yo!

Dad played the first one on floppy disk, so i try to do him proud.

plus I just hate being not good at things :)

View PostLegendaryArticuno, on 08 March 2016 - 09:51 PM, said:

The Mechbay portion in the beginning hurt my eyes a bit

14x Rear ST armour - do you intend on reversing backwards into the enemy?
4x MG's - better to dump these for dual heat sinks

I would probably got 2x LPLs and whatever SPLs you can fit on it.

I grabbed the MGs on purpose for brawling. people never seem to expect them and they tear unarmored parts to pieces.

(although I probably could skimp a lil on the back armor, but it did save my *** a few times.

#7 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:57 PM

View PostGeoFalke, on 08 March 2016 - 09:55 PM, said:

expensive *** laptop with a 965m graphics card Posted Image

Yeah, I've got a far more expensive computer and I still can't get MWO to run at a steady 60+ FPS
4790k, 970 GTX, 8GB Ram....

#8 GeoFalke

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 10:01 PM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 08 March 2016 - 09:57 PM, said:

Yeah, I've got a far more expensive computer and I still can't get MWO to run at a steady 60+ FPS

I'm also not running at max quality, if that helps.

it's a mix of med-high

#9 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 10:11 PM

I have a similar build (lesser CPU and GPU), and I cruise around 50-90 fps (really depends what's going on, and what map it is). 50 FPS is when things are really chugging though.
Comp build:
Spoiler

Game Video Settings:
Spoiler

Scaling up to higher resolution and turning off AA produced better results for me than using lower resolution with AA. If you don't need AA, it's a big boost to keep it off.

Edit, i just saw that motion blur is on... going to turn that off.

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 09 March 2016 - 02:18 PM.

#10 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 08 March 2016 - 10:24 PM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 08 March 2016 - 09:40 PM, said:

PLEASE WAIT...
[ANALYZING.]
[ANALYZING..]
[ANALYZING...]
COMPLETE!

I keep thinking I should turn off the directional arrow. But then I'm too lazy to ever do it, even though it's obnoxious.

#11 GeoFalke

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 10:35 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 08 March 2016 - 10:24 PM, said:

I keep thinking I should turn off the directional arrow. But then I'm too lazy to ever do it, even though it's obnoxious.

it kept blinding me on night maps, so I turned it off in a heartbeat.

Years of playing WoT has trained me to always have an eye on the minimap so I just rely on the arrow there and a bit of kinesthetic sense to keep me going in the right direction.

#12 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 10:48 PM

View PostGeoFalke, on 08 March 2016 - 10:35 PM, said:

Years of playing WoT has trained me to always have an eye on the minimap so I just rely on the arrow there and a bit of kinesthetic sense to keep me going in the right direction.

Also the leg directions are on the compass at the top if you need another place for leg direction feedback.

#13 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 08 March 2016 - 11:25 PM

View PostGeoFalke, on 08 March 2016 - 09:17 PM, said:

Been a MechWarrior going on what, a week now, and this is one of my best matches yet.

video might not have registered the trim yet, so if it starts in the mechlab just skip to 1:50 or so.

Not to rain on your parade but I definitely saw a number of mistakes made in the video, and if the enemy team had played smarter you probably would've ate the ground halfway through rather than surviving until the end. I'll just make a brief summary of some mistakes I saw.

-At 1:30, carelessly chasing a light mech with tunnel vision and not checking to your left to see if enemy mechs were there and ready to fire at you, or if you had looked over maybe you could've gotten an extra shot in at them with your large laser (if they were there) or at least locked a target briefly to give your team radar info.

-At 2:25, getting baited away from your team by an ECM mech into a more open area while most of your weapons are short range, and then rushing out of cover to do ineffective damage to 1 mech even though you were clearly spotted and indeed took a bunch of damage as a result while retreating. This is a pretty bad play for multiple reasons, and if the enemy team was a bit more aggressive towards the 1 lone Nova that probably would've been the end of the round for you.

-At 3:55, jumping out of cover for some reason and being exposed for multiple seconds to enemy fire for no real reason at all, resulting in unnecessary damage from enemy LRMs. Not a huge mistake or anything, but it was pretty pointless to do that considering what your weapons are and what kind of position you & the enemy were at.

There's some other nitpicks I could point out I guess, but that's what stood out to me the most. Still did a decent job and got a nice match score though, especially for a relatively new player so that's cool, but I did want to point out some mistakes I saw.

Edited by Pjwned, 08 March 2016 - 11:32 PM.

#14 GeoFalke

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:03 AM

View PostPjwned, on 08 March 2016 - 11:25 PM, said:

Not to rain on your parade but I definitely saw a number of mistakes made in the video, and if the enemy team had played smarter you probably would've ate the ground halfway through rather than surviving until the end. I'll just make a brief summary of some mistakes I saw.

-At 1:30, carelessly chasing a light mech with tunnel vision and not checking to your left to see if enemy mechs were there and ready to fire at you, or if you had looked over maybe you could've gotten an extra shot in at them with your large laser (if they were there) or at least locked a target briefly to give your team radar info.

True. TBH I'm still getting used to handling the mech, but I was about 95% sure that since the target I was chasing was a Jenner that they'd have moved too fast for much of anything on their team to have kept up, but I still should have checked anyway.

-At 2:25, getting baited away from your team by an ECM mech into a more open area while most of your weapons are short range, and then rushing out of cover to do ineffective damage to 1 mech even though you were clearly spotted and indeed took a bunch of damage as a result while retreating. This is a pretty bad play for multiple reasons, and if the enemy team was a bit more aggressive towards the 1 lone Nova that probably would've been the end of the round for you.

Probably my biggest screw up for the entire match. I tried to finish off the light to keep him from harassing us and I (foolishly) thought that at least one friendly would have followed, and then I proceeded to bite off more than I could chew. Frankly I'm kinda surprised that I didn't lose the mech, or at least an arm given how they tore my right torso to pieces.

-At 3:55, jumping out of cover for some reason and being exposed for multiple seconds to enemy fire for no real reason at all, resulting in unnecessary damage from enemy LRMs. Not a huge mistake or anything, but it was pretty pointless to do that considering what your weapons are and what kind of position you & the enemy were at.

I had wagered that while yes, I might take damage, it might save me enough time to get to the base and I was hoping that I would be able to make an ok dmg trade since I still had a fair bit of frontal armor left, but I club fingered the control keys and got pointed in the wrong direction when I landed so any time I saved going up and over was lost and I should have just ran left around the thingy. would have saved me time and armor, but whatcha gonna do? Past is past, might as well learn from it :D

There's some other nitpicks I could point out I guess, but that's what stood out to me the most. Still did a decent job and got a nice match score though, especially for a relatively new player so that's cool, but I did want to point out some mistakes I saw.

Thanks, any and all advice and help is much appreciated. it's a lot harder to see certain mistakes when you're IN the action vs when you watch the action, so having some outside input is a huge boon.

Those are things I'll definitely keep a sharper eye out for.

#15 GrimRiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationIf not here and not there, then where?

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:58 AM

You think your nova is fun now just wait until it's rescale, you'll be a much harder target to hit then. lol

#16 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 09 March 2016 - 12:20 PM

View PostChimera11, on 08 March 2016 - 09:47 PM, said:

Nightmare fuel.

Mmmm...tastes good! Posted Image

#17 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 09 March 2016 - 12:37 PM

View PostGeoFalke, on 08 March 2016 - 10:35 PM, said:

wish more players would pay attention to mini map. A lot fo mistakes I see players making in regards to position and target focusing could be solved just by doing this

#18 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 12:38 PM

Im getting 90+ fps with a 4790k and a 970 gtx.

#19 Milocinia

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:01 PM

Can Shadowplay at 60+ fps with a GTX660 and i5-3470 at 1920x1080, all settings very high but AA turned off (don't have the GPU horsepower or a big monitor anyway).

Posted Image

Will upgrade the GPU and monitor to either 4k or ultrawide at some point but I'm not really an enthusiast gamer.

#20 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:03 PM

Not bad... not bad... match was a bit one sideded but with 4KMD you had a fair bit to do with that. So well done.

Now for a bittervet jaded comment since I haven't seen anyone post one yet... and I'd hate for us to end up with a positive reputation...

Yawn. Come back when you crack 1k, get 6 kills, and your team still manages to screw it up so badly that somehow between the other 11 of them they couldn't average 1 kill/2 deaths.

Yes it'll happen. Yes it'll be both infuriating and oddly satisfying.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users