68 replies to this topic

#41 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 10 March 2016 - 05:42 AM

A themed front end would be cool but I'd say they gotta at least get it working first. It's still very buggy and with them trying to decide to migrate to a new engine??

I dream of the day we can have a Battletech/Mechwarrior game done in the spirit of Star Citizen, where we can have our dropships with mechs in bays and we can walk around them, climb in them, and launch to one game mode or another.

But this is off topic.

They are calling the Argo a drop ship, but it looks more like a ship carrying dropships, yet has no KF drive (that we know of) and doesn't look like it can land on a planet (too many moving parts). There is no "intermediary" ship that I know of or can find on Sarna (again, I could have sworn there's one sphereoid dropship too large to land on a planet), and certainly not one that carries other drops that isn't a Jumpship or Warship. Also, I have never heard of dropships being carried internally either, they've always hung off the hull like a wart. :) The Argo, while really cool looking, is a break for the lore. I hope they can come up with a story as to why it exists.

#42 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:01 AM

View Postcdlord, on 10 March 2016 - 05:42 AM, said:

A themed front end would be cool but I'd say they gotta at least get it working first. It's still very buggy and with them trying to decide to migrate to a new engine??

I dream of the day we can have a Battletech/Mechwarrior game done in the spirit of Star Citizen, where we can have our dropships with mechs in bays and we can walk around them, climb in them, and launch to one game mode or another.

But this is off topic.

They are calling the Argo a drop ship, but it looks more like a ship carrying dropships, yet has no KF drive (that we know of) and doesn't look like it can land on a planet (too many moving parts). There is no "intermediary" ship that I know of or can find on Sarna (again, I could have sworn there's one sphereoid dropship too large to land on a planet), and certainly not one that carries other drops that isn't a Jumpship or Warship. Also, I have never heard of dropships being carried internally either, they've always hung off the hull like a wart. :) The Argo, while really cool looking, is a break for the lore. I hope they can come up with a story as to why it exists.

I actually like it, it's more grounded in reality for what would happen. I'd like to see it as a step in the right direction of an overhaul of the BT universe.

#43 0bsidion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:47 AM

View Postcdlord, on 10 March 2016 - 05:42 AM, said:

But this is off topic.

They are calling the Argo a drop ship, but it looks more like a ship carrying dropships, yet has no KF drive (that we know of) and doesn't look like it can land on a planet (too many moving parts). There is no "intermediary" ship that I know of or can find on Sarna (again, I could have sworn there's one sphereoid dropship too large to land on a planet), and certainly not one that carries other drops that isn't a Jumpship or Warship. Also, I have never heard of dropships being carried internally either, they've always hung off the hull like a wart. Posted Image The Argo, while really cool looking, is a break for the lore. I hope they can come up with a story as to why it exists.

Since one of Battletech's original creators is on the team designing that game and thus responsible either directly or indirectly for that lore you're referring to, I think they can probably get away with it Posted Image

#44 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:50 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 10 March 2016 - 06:01 AM, said:

I actually like it, it's more grounded in reality for what would happen. I'd like to see it as a step in the right direction of an overhaul of the BT universe.

TBH I always had a hard time visualizing the dropships hanging on the outside as most of the Art just doesn't make sense visually. Docking collars, the armatures... Just didn't add up for me. Though to house them internally, and these things are HUGE, is also a stretch.

We could say that the Leopard is not capable of travelling from jump point to planet, but that would redact a lot of lore and would immediately be replaced by the Union which cannot fit inside Argo, so therefore can travel from jump point to planet, and can land on a planet (Argo cannot).

Logically and factually:
Argo cannot land on a planet.
Leopard can land on a planet.
Leopard can fit inside Argo.
Union can land on a planet.
Union cannot fit inside Argo.

And yes, I understand this is all just lore bantering. :) It's fun to define it's role in the universe.

#45 Lugh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 07:00 AM

View PostKhobai, on 08 March 2016 - 03:33 PM, said:

All gamemodes except skirmish should have respawns.

Because without respawns, every gamemode just becomes skirmish anyway...

Weaksauce. Even with respawns it's still just skirmish as the weaker team with their Leeroy Retardoes will still make bad decisions with every extra spawn attempting to maximize their scores.

Edited by Lugh, 10 March 2016 - 07:00 AM.

#46 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 07:28 AM

View Postcdlord, on 10 March 2016 - 06:50 AM, said:

TBH I always had a hard time visualizing the dropships hanging on the outside as most of the Art just doesn't make sense visually. Docking collars, the armatures... Just didn't add up for me. Though to house them internally, and these things are HUGE, is also a stretch.

We could say that the Leopard is not capable of travelling from jump point to planet, but that would redact a lot of lore and would immediately be replaced by the Union which cannot fit inside Argo, so therefore can travel from jump point to planet, and can land on a planet (Argo cannot).

Logically and factually:
Argo cannot land on a planet.
Leopard can land on a planet.
Leopard can fit inside Argo.
Union can land on a planet.
Union cannot fit inside Argo.

And yes, I understand this is all just lore bantering. :) It's fun to define it's role in the universe.

True, but they could also be going the route of making the Unuion class more rare in the 3025-ish era, or making it house military only, thus making the Leopard much more common.

#47 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 07:56 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 10 March 2016 - 07:28 AM, said:

True, but they could also be going the route of making the Union class more rare in the 3025-ish era, or making it house military only, thus making the Leopard much more common.

And the Leopard was THE go-to lance raider dropship.

So what is the role of the Argo?
Do we say the Leopard is incapable of interstellar travel and thus needs the Argo to go from jump point to planet?
What services does the Argo provide to the Leopard? Just transport? Or as a refueling platform as well?

IF the Leopard is able to go from jp to planet then why house it inside Argo, couldn't that space be better used for more fuel, mechs, and other logistical items?

Plus two platforms are more difficult to support than just one. Two crews, two machines whereas the Union can do both on one platform. Argo + Leopard is an awful lot for 4 mechs (assuming the Argo cannot store 8 more) versus the Union's 12.

We can say that while more expensive, the Argo+Leopard is a more readily available combo for delivering a company to a planet. The Argo itself carries 8 additional mechs + fuel for the Leopard for minimum 6 trips to the planet. This still requires the redaction of the Leopard's ability to travel from jp to planet. Also we can say the Argo has more crew facilities (field hospital) and armaments and armor than the Leopard, else it wouldn't have to house the leopard within it's protective shell. The Leopard could just attach to the outside for the ride and a whole battalion+ could go inside the Argo.

#48 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:39 AM

View Postcdlord, on 10 March 2016 - 07:56 AM, said:

And the Leopard was THE go-to lance raider dropship.

So what is the role of the Argo?
Do we say the Leopard is incapable of interstellar travel and thus needs the Argo to go from jump point to planet?
What services does the Argo provide to the Leopard? Just transport? Or as a refueling platform as well?

IF the Leopard is able to go from jp to planet then why house it inside Argo, couldn't that space be better used for more fuel, mechs, and other logistical items?

Plus two platforms are more difficult to support than just one. Two crews, two machines whereas the Union can do both on one platform. Argo + Leopard is an awful lot for 4 mechs (assuming the Argo cannot store 8 more) versus the Union's 12.

We can say that while more expensive, the Argo+Leopard is a more readily available combo for delivering a company to a planet. The Argo itself carries 8 additional mechs + fuel for the Leopard for minimum 6 trips to the planet. This still requires the redaction of the Leopard's ability to travel from jp to planet. Also we can say the Argo has more crew facilities (field hospital) and armaments and armor than the Leopard, else it wouldn't have to house the leopard within it's protective shell. The Leopard could just attach to the outside for the ride and a whole battalion+ could go inside the Argo.

Well how fast is a Leopard? How fast can it cover a couple of AU?

I mean we are talking a lot of distance, and I don't think it would be unreasonable to think it could take the Leopard a couple of days if not longer to cover 1 or more AU, that would be a little unreasonable for a lance capacity drop ship to have to make 3 or more trips to the Jump Ship to bring a full company down planet side. Like you I think the Argo may be a way-station a F.A.R.P. (Forward Area Refueling Point), a place I'm familiar with during my Army days, it's a position that you can refuel and rearm. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the Argo could put a full company on board + what could be stored in a Leopard (or several). I also see the Argo as a Command and Control center, for the planet side operations, if parked in a stationary orbit, it would be in the perfect spot to be able to observe the battlefield and provide quick response orders to field units.

To me it makes a lot more sense than a single method like an Overlord class, that while extremely well armed, enough to deter attacking mechs for the most part, it is still extremely vulnerable as it is a sitting target to artillery, as well as during power up for lift off and during atmospheric flight.

#49 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:54 AM

A Union or Overlord dropship would make more sense as a "base".

#50 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:33 AM

O hell, I'm blind. The Leopard IS on the outside....

Posted Image

Edited by cdlord, 10 March 2016 - 09:47 AM.

#51 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:49 AM

View Postcdlord, on 10 March 2016 - 09:33 AM, said:

O hell, I'm blind. The Leopard IS on the outside....

Posted Image

The more I look at it, it looks like a non-canon jumpship (not typical mushroom config and doesn't stay at the jp) OR an early IS warship. This is supposed to be 3025 tech so the thought it's a warship is pretty unlikely.

#52 RobarGK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 183 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 10 March 2016 - 10:08 AM

For those of you looking for the other (and actually manufactured in numbers) DropShip that can't land is called the Behemoth.

Basically a big cargo hauler that need smaller ships to ferry cargo to and from it.

Had to edit, sarna wasn't being nice.

Edited by RobarGK, 10 March 2016 - 10:12 AM.

#53 AdamBaines

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 10:54 AM

Its a non-canon "drop-ship" that cant drop. It was a failure so thats why no more then two were ever made. For those of us who were not part of the Kickstarter, here is the fluff. There are spoilers here for those who care about what the HBS game may or may not be.:

+++++++++++++++++++++++
The Argo-class DropShip was an experiment in constructing a self-sufficient mobile base of operations for a flotilla of expeditionary ships. Built as a mid-point between a mobile DropShip and a mostly-immobile JumpShip, the Argo-class prioritizes sustainable long-term missions over everything else. Boeing Interstellar produced just two of these enormous ships, the Argo and the Myrmidon. The Argo was sent on its proving voyage to the Rimward Periphery in 2762.

The intended mission of the Argo was to follow behind the first wave of exploratory missions, supporting multiple surveyor, terraformer, and colonizer teams while they completed a deep survey of the system. To accomplish this mission, the Argo would stay in-system for six months at a time, while the JumpShip that carried it there would move on to other systems and other tasks. The Argo was a mobile space station, in a sense, providing supply and temporary habitation for teams on dangerous missions in unsettled space.

The Argo is too large to land on a planet, much like the similarly-sized Behemoth. The prototype multiple docking collar system allowed for smaller DropShips to attach to the Argo for resupply, cargo transfer, and personnel transfer; these docking collars allowed smaller ships to remain attached while the Argo linked with a JumpShip for jump transfer, or to break off and remain in-system while the Argo moved on ahead. The Argowas thus meant as a logistical hub for a small flotilla of DropShips, which would dock and undock with the ship as needed to complete their independent missions.

With 57,000 tons of cargo space, the Argo was able to carry supplies for multiple young colonies, arms and armaments for garrisons in need of resupply, colonists being moved to or evacuated from a colony, military hardware, and fuel for other ships. It lacks the armor or maneuverability to function in battle, and it is vastly outclassed in size and firepower by even the smallest WarShips, and it was this non-combat role that ultimately led to its abandonment; the Boeing factories on Galax were entirely repurposed for wartime, and there was simply no place for a peacetime exploration ship.

The Argo featured a unique folding grav-deck design, which allows the ship to remain habitable while in orbit around a planet or station-keeping near a jump point. The three habitation ‘pods’ lie flat against the ship’s central spine while under thrust; while the ship is stationary, the pods extend and the collar to which they’re attached rotates. This keeps the living quarters and medical facilities under gravity at all times, which makes the ship habitable for long tours of duty. The flight control area and command center are located deep inside the ship, near its spine, and are only under gravity during thrust. They’re serviced by fast passenger-sized lifts that run the length of the ship, allowing the crew to muster for duty in just minutes in an emergency.

Habitability was a key point in the objectives the Boeing engineers were given: the crew would be expected to live on the ship for years at a time, if not decades. This total self-sufficiency is a recurring theme in the ship’s design. It includes three fully-featured MASH medical theaters, larger-than-usual crew and passenger accommodations, recreational areas, fitness centers, and extensive onboard hydroponic gardens. An entire pod is reserved for passengers and temporary guests; docking DropShip crews were expected to take ‘shore’ leave onboard the Argo.

The central spine includes multiple elevator shafts serving each of the three docking collars, each shaft being large enough to accommodate an Assault-class ‘Mech, an aerospace fighter, or a heavy combat vehicle. Ground vehicles and ‘Mechs were not expected to deploy directly from the Argo, so it lacks external bay doors; deploying a ground unit meant transferring the unit along the spinal elevators to a waiting Leopard (or comparable) DropShip, from which the unit would deploy. The complement of fighters, however, could deploy directly from the Argo, and were expected to provide support and cover if the Argo found itself in danger.

Ultimately, the Argo would prove to be a dead-end in DropShip design. On its maiden voyage in the deep Periphery, the Argo dropped out of contact, and was presumed destroyed as part of an attack in the New Vandenberg Uprising. While still in dock preparing for its own first voyage, the Myrmidon was damaged by a terrorist action. It was decided not to try to repair the Myrmidon, and it was ultimately broken down for parts and materials to manufacture other, more battle-oriented ships.

The Argo was a product of the era in which it was conceived: a peacetime ship meant for peacetime exploration duties, and planned with the expectation of an abundance of resources and a focus on long-term orbital deployment. In an earlier era, it might have seen widespread usage, but in practice the fall of the Star League and the outbreak of war (and near constant state of war ever since) has rendered the Argo little more than a forgotten, experimental footnote in the history of DropShip production.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So the Devs for this game have made themselves a nice little space to play in without really killin cannon, even adding to the cannon that does not have any real implications.

Edited by AdamBaines, 10 March 2016 - 10:56 AM.

#54 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 10 March 2016 - 12:03 PM

View Postwanderer, on 08 March 2016 - 06:07 PM, said:

https://www.kickstar...h/posts/1512716

It's from the new BT game Harebrained is working on.

Thanks. That game is looking really good and I wasn't that excited about it. Looking way better than I expected though.

#55 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 12:08 PM

View PostAdamBaines, on 10 March 2016 - 10:54 AM, said:

Its a non-canon "drop-ship" that cant drop. It was a failure so thats why no more then two were ever made. For those of us who were not part of the Kickstarter, here is the fluff. There are spoilers here for those who care about what the HBS game may or may not be.:

+++++++++++++++++++++++
The Argo-class DropShip was an experiment in constructing a self-sufficient mobile base of operations for a flotilla of expeditionary ships. Built as a mid-point between a mobile DropShip and a mostly-immobile JumpShip, the Argo-class prioritizes sustainable long-term missions over everything else. Boeing Interstellar produced just two of these enormous ships, the Argo and the Myrmidon. The Argo was sent on its proving voyage to the Rimward Periphery in 2762.

The intended mission of the Argo was to follow behind the first wave of exploratory missions, supporting multiple surveyor, terraformer, and colonizer teams while they completed a deep survey of the system. To accomplish this mission, the Argo would stay in-system for six months at a time, while the JumpShip that carried it there would move on to other systems and other tasks. The Argo was a mobile space station, in a sense, providing supply and temporary habitation for teams on dangerous missions in unsettled space.

The Argo is too large to land on a planet, much like the similarly-sized Behemoth. The prototype multiple docking collar system allowed for smaller DropShips to attach to the Argo for resupply, cargo transfer, and personnel transfer; these docking collars allowed smaller ships to remain attached while the Argo linked with a JumpShip for jump transfer, or to break off and remain in-system while the Argo moved on ahead. The Argowas thus meant as a logistical hub for a small flotilla of DropShips, which would dock and undock with the ship as needed to complete their independent missions.

With 57,000 tons of cargo space, the Argo was able to carry supplies for multiple young colonies, arms and armaments for garrisons in need of resupply, colonists being moved to or evacuated from a colony, military hardware, and fuel for other ships. It lacks the armor or maneuverability to function in battle, and it is vastly outclassed in size and firepower by even the smallest WarShips, and it was this non-combat role that ultimately led to its abandonment; the Boeing factories on Galax were entirely repurposed for wartime, and there was simply no place for a peacetime exploration ship.

The Argo featured a unique folding grav-deck design, which allows the ship to remain habitable while in orbit around a planet or station-keeping near a jump point. The three habitation ‘pods’ lie flat against the ship’s central spine while under thrust; while the ship is stationary, the pods extend and the collar to which they’re attached rotates. This keeps the living quarters and medical facilities under gravity at all times, which makes the ship habitable for long tours of duty. The flight control area and command center are located deep inside the ship, near its spine, and are only under gravity during thrust. They’re serviced by fast passenger-sized lifts that run the length of the ship, allowing the crew to muster for duty in just minutes in an emergency.

Habitability was a key point in the objectives the Boeing engineers were given: the crew would be expected to live on the ship for years at a time, if not decades. This total self-sufficiency is a recurring theme in the ship’s design. It includes three fully-featured MASH medical theaters, larger-than-usual crew and passenger accommodations, recreational areas, fitness centers, and extensive onboard hydroponic gardens. An entire pod is reserved for passengers and temporary guests; docking DropShip crews were expected to take ‘shore’ leave onboard the Argo.

The central spine includes multiple elevator shafts serving each of the three docking collars, each shaft being large enough to accommodate an Assault-class ‘Mech, an aerospace fighter, or a heavy combat vehicle. Ground vehicles and ‘Mechs were not expected to deploy directly from the Argo, so it lacks external bay doors; deploying a ground unit meant transferring the unit along the spinal elevators to a waiting Leopard (or comparable) DropShip, from which the unit would deploy. The complement of fighters, however, could deploy directly from the Argo, and were expected to provide support and cover if the Argo found itself in danger.

Ultimately, the Argo would prove to be a dead-end in DropShip design. On its maiden voyage in the deep Periphery, the Argo dropped out of contact, and was presumed destroyed as part of an attack in the New Vandenberg Uprising. While still in dock preparing for its own first voyage, the Myrmidon was damaged by a terrorist action. It was decided not to try to repair the Myrmidon, and it was ultimately broken down for parts and materials to manufacture other, more battle-oriented ships.

The Argo was a product of the era in which it was conceived: a peacetime ship meant for peacetime exploration duties, and planned with the expectation of an abundance of resources and a focus on long-term orbital deployment. In an earlier era, it might have seen widespread usage, but in practice the fall of the Star League and the outbreak of war (and near constant state of war ever since) has rendered the Argo little more than a forgotten, experimental footnote in the history of DropShip production.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So the Devs for this game have made themselves a nice little space to play in without really killin cannon, even adding to the cannon that does not have any real implications.

Where didist thou find this beautiful nugget??

#56 AdamBaines

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 12:20 PM

View Postcdlord, on 10 March 2016 - 12:08 PM, said:

Where didist thou find this beautiful nugget??

I was a backer for the project and got an email with the pictures already posted plus the fluff for it. The basis for it is that your Merc Unit "finds" this dropship somehow abandoned and it becomes your base of operations across the galaxy.

Edited by AdamBaines, 10 March 2016 - 12:23 PM.

#57 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 12:21 PM

View PostAdamBaines, on 10 March 2016 - 12:20 PM, said:

I was a backer for the project and got an email with the pictures already posted plus the fluff for it.

I got that same email, but I do not recall this info.....

#58 AdamBaines

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 12:24 PM

View Postcdlord, on 10 March 2016 - 12:21 PM, said:

I got that same email, but I do not recall this info.....

What level of backer were you? Maybe there is a difference? I would not think so.....

#59 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 12:27 PM

View PostAdamBaines, on 10 March 2016 - 12:24 PM, said:

What level of backer were you? Maybe there is a difference? I would not think so.....

I was broke at the time so only did $20-$25.... My current girlfriend(MWO) is high maintenance.... :P

#60 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,243 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 12:30 PM

I am the "Valhalla-level" backer and I haven't got that e-mail.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users