197 replies to this topic

#181 Tussock

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 150 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:38 PM

Hi, I'm a goon... Henchman actually... I run around with a squad of other goons/hench and we have fun by getting kills and blowing stuff up.

Unfortunately in a PvP environment someone has to suffer... As a goon/henchman I understand this, and would prefer that said suffering was experienced by someone other than me... I will play the game and configure my $#!+ to ensure a favourable balance of suffering.

I you'd like to tip the balance of suffering in your favour and hook up with some goons that also enjoy getting kills and blowing stuff up click the banner now!
Posted Image

View PostSkadi, on 13 July 2012 - 04:57 PM, said:

well i think the fact the thread was started by a goon will cause flaming (no offense)
although this bird you call a tetatae is actualy a kakapo bird (from prictures ive seen that yall post), gotta say, thats the probaly the coolest bird alive (the damn thing gets better than some dogs and its a parrot that dosnt fly, it ******* hops)

The kakapo that was #@(<ing that nature show host's head is called Sirocco, from New Zealand he is one of only 150 left in the world... Sirocco will #@(< a d00d's skull... but is having trouble maintaining the population of his species... If you reckon kakapo's are worth saving then click this picture of sirocco:

Posted Image

#182 Thunderball

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:20 PM

Ah how I love such threads, time to adapt a movie quote:

"...today, we gonna hate that ******* goons, that's all we gonna do is hate some goons all day. I don't even know what a goon is, but you know what, we gonna hate them...."

#183 Nikol Grall

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 430 posts
  • LocationJackson, Tn

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:27 PM

Meh, the more the merrier. Beat the goons or ignore them. If you want RP look for something like Battletech Mercenaries, pure role play, or wait for possible RP elements to be brought into MWO.

If this still isn't good enough Posted Image

BTW no offense meant to any trolls. :huh:

I never noticed the "goons" even though i have played both Eve and WoT. I am a casual gamer, i have to much real life to attend to. Oh and i look forward to playing against and with all of you.

#184 Lysander Davion Steiner

• PipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:42 PM

if your a gamer and dnt know what a goon is, well your boned.

#185 Sirous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 368 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:41 AM

So I went over to the goon website I was curious after reading this thread, Curiousity got the better of me and I sympathize with you Commie, for the most part some of them seem pretty decent but... and here is the kicker all it takes is a few bad apples to spoil the bunch. Read through most of it and most just seem interested in the game, Then you have those that are interested in doing nothing but griefing other players and ruining the rest of the servers fun. So all in all I would call the whole group not worth my time. I was just curious. You also have people that hate the dev's and the moderators over here. Also not a good thing. Two strikes against you there. Calling the dev's idiots for trying to get along with the community and not liking goons is yet another strike against you. I actually appreciate the mods over here and the community as a whole because a lot of them do take this stuff seriously it is fun to sit back and read their banter back and forth, Goons take it one step further and provoke them and **** them off, for what so they can go back to the SA forums and brag that they pissed off some guy in another forum. I call it being a lowlife that feeds off hurting other people, fine if that is what gets you off, but understand a lot of people myself included hate people that do that so that is why there is so much hate you are the ones that hate people for being who they are and not including you in it. Wait they try but you just troll them to **** them off.

The following was taken from your forums I don't care but this sums up the dislike I have for goons[color=#000000]

CommieGIR posted:
[indent]And its all my fault, and I really was being serious for the OP.

drat, I hand the olive branch of peace and they slap it out and spit in my food. Who is the goons now? I'm so confused.[/indent]
[/color]

[color=#000000]Pubbies will always spit in your face when you try to be civil. You're working under the mistaken assumption that they're all retarded spergs because we provoke them. The opposite is true, we provoke them because they're retarded spergs. Suddenly being nice to them doesn't make them any less horrible, worthless crapsacks.[/color]

#186 Feindfeuer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 234 posts
  • LocationNew Hessen

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:01 AM

I hate goons cause though i'm fine with spending $120 on digital space-robots i'm too poor to shell out $10 to join a messageboard so i miss out on all the fun. Stupid goons. ;)

#187 Thomas G Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorth Germany

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:20 AM

View PostOtto Cannon, on 13 July 2012 - 05:03 PM, said:

What's all this about Goons?

Posted Image

Ahhh the true Goons, never ever anything like it in the radio since. Opps there now I have gone and done it, everyone now knows what an old nutter I am ;)

#188 Bastard Ken

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:49 AM

View PostSirous, on 14 July 2012 - 12:41 AM, said:

So I went over to the goon website I was curious after reading this thread, Curiousity got the better of me and I sympathize with you Commie, for the most part some of them seem pretty decent but... and here is the kicker all it takes is a few bad apples to spoil the bunch. Read through most of it and most just seem interested in the game1, Then you have those that are interested in doing nothing but griefing other players and ruining the rest of the servers fun. So all in all I would call the whole group not worth my time. I was just curious. You also have people that hate the dev's and the moderators over here.2 Also not a good thing. Two strikes against you there. Calling the dev's idiots for trying to get along with the community and not liking goons3 is yet another strike against you. I actually appreciate the mods over here and the community as a whole because a lot of them do take this stuff seriously it is fun to sit back and read their banter back and forth, Goons take it one step further and provoke them and **** them off, for what so they can go back to the SA forums and brag that they pissed off some guy in another forum. I call it being a lowlife that feeds off hurting other people, fine if that is what gets you off, but understand a lot of people myself included hate people that do that so that is why there is so much hate you are the ones that hate people for being who they are and not including you in it. Wait they try but you just troll them to **** them off.

There are couple of salient points raised in your little diatribe that I think are worth responding to.

1. Most goons are just interested in playing the game and having fun. Good, you recognized that. So maybe you can let the mods on this forum handle the "few bad apples" and not make unwarranted accusations or push for collective punishment of people who haven't done anything wrong.

2. People posting on an third party forum have expressed less than positive opinions of the moderators and developers on this forum. I'm really not sure why you think this is some kind of "strike" against goons, as all people are entitled to their opinion and can express it freely (subject to local and international law, of course). It is of course difficult to raise any concerns a goon might have about moderation or developer policy on this forum, because as soon as we make a post we come under attack for our assosciations, and our ideas get ignored.

3. While I have not personally taken issue with any developer or moderator decision, it should not be a stretch for you to see why a moderation team displaying obvious biases would be a problem for a large commercial forum such as this one. Any sensible person would be concerned by such behavior. Lacking an appropriate official outlet for any such concerns, a goon can express their concern in the relevant thread on the Something Awful forums.

While I do appreciate the effort you took to at least view our forums before jumping to conclusions, I think you have done yourself a disservice by browsing one thread to mine a hostile-seeming quote to paint us all as sadistic griefing trolls. If you spent a little bit of time to appreciate our culture of robust debate, you might come to understand that goons aren't a monolithic cult of space communist bird men aimed at ruining your fun.

#189 Sirous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 368 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:33 AM

View Post******* Ken, on 14 July 2012 - 01:49 AM, said:

There are couple of salient points raised in your little diatribe that I think are worth responding to.

1. Most goons are just interested in playing the game and having fun. Good, you recognized that. So maybe you can let the mods on this forum handle the "few bad apples" and not make unwarranted accusations or push for collective punishment of people who haven't done anything wrong.

2. People posting on an third party forum have expressed less than positive opinions of the moderators and developers on this forum. I'm really not sure why you think this is some kind of "strike" against goons, as all people are entitled to their opinion and can express it freely (subject to local and international law, of course). It is of course difficult to raise any concerns a goon might have about moderation or developer policy on this forum, because as soon as we make a post we come under attack for our assosciations, and our ideas get ignored.

3. While I have not personally taken issue with any developer or moderator decision, it should not be a stretch for you to see why a moderation team displaying obvious biases would be a problem for a large commercial forum such as this one. Any sensible person would be concerned by such behavior. Lacking an appropriate official outlet for any such concerns, a goon can express their concern in the relevant thread on the Something Awful forums.

While I do appreciate the effort you took to at least view our forums before jumping to conclusions, I think you have done yourself a disservice by browsing one thread to mine a hostile-seeming quote to paint us all as sadistic griefing trolls. If you spent a little bit of time to appreciate our culture of robust debate, you might come to understand that goons aren't a monolithic cult of space communist bird men aimed at ruining your fun.

I had no clue about goons until this thread.
Like I said I like to learn about a group, I have not seen any goons before but after reading through most of your forums I picked that quote because it seemed riddled throughout, the whole point by some there was to do nothing but grief and troll the members over here. There were many other quotes I could have picked but that one seemed to sum it up the best.

As for being lumped in with them, If I am part of a clan that does nothing but make other peoples lives miserable, but I do not. I should not expect a warm welcome on any server that I go to with those tags on. As anyone who is a part of Word of Lowtax or any other group that is associated with the goons. They have built a reputation for being trolls and griefers in games, whether you are a willing participant or not you are still a part of that group and no member here will be able see the difference.

Reading those forums made me glad that I was oblivious to it now, The problem is that after reading those forums, I will not be able to take any one with the word of lowtax in their sig seriously no matter what they say.

This is all granted that like I said three quarters of the stuff over there was actually rather decent and well informative the other quarter was total diatribe on how to troll and generally be Unpleasant with the whole goal of upsetting those that take the lore maybe a touch to serious instead of letting them be.

It's a shame really, Sounds like you could have taken the whole bird thing to be fun but Birds of a feather to troll nerds together did not quite set the right tone for me.

#190 Hardcover

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:38 AM

My general strategy for dealing with Goons: return civility with civility, weapons fire with weapons fire, "gf" with "o7," and asshattery and ASCII genitalia with /block or the equivalent.

#191 Drummen

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:00 AM

No two people agree on the exact same topics and how they feel about them, with that said there wil alawys be a diffrence of opinons with a group of people with more then one person in it. It is how you go about discussing that diffrence with the other people involved and how they respond. I remember filling out the damage chart playing this game on paper when I was a kid and look forward to playing in real time, if that means i need to deal with people with ideals that are not the same as mine I will. I mean really guys isnt that what we do in everday life anyways?

#192 Bastard Ken

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:14 AM

View PostSirous, on 14 July 2012 - 02:33 AM, said:

I had no clue about goons until this thread.
Like I said I like to learn about a group, I have not seen any goons before but after reading through most of your forums I picked that quote because it seemed riddled throughout, the whole point by some there was to do nothing but grief and troll the members over here. There were many other quotes I could have picked but that one seemed to sum it up the best.

As for being lumped in with them, If I am part of a clan that does nothing but make other peoples lives miserable (1), but I do not. I should not expect a warm welcome on any server that I go to with those tags on. As anyone who is a part of Word of Lowtax or any other group that is associated with the goons. They have built a reputation for being trolls and griefers in games, whether you are a willing participant or not you are still a part of that group and no member here will be able see the difference.

Reading those forums made me glad that I was oblivious to it now, The problem is that after reading those forums, I will not be able to take any one with the word of lowtax in their sig seriously no matter what they say. (2)

This is all granted that like I said three quarters of the stuff over there was actually rather decent and well informative the other quarter was total diatribe on how to troll and generally be Unpleasant with the whole goal of upsetting those that take the lore maybe a touch to serious instead of letting them be. (3)

It's a shame really, Sounds like you could have taken the whole bird thing to be fun but Birds of a feather to troll nerds together did not quite set the right tone for me. (4)

Again, I'm glad you took some time to read our thread relating to this game. If you've got some time I heartily suggest you check out the the Let's Play! subforum and read the Lets All Play Battletech thread to get a sense of how much a large number of goons love this universe and want to have fun playing games in it.

I do take issue with some of the points you continue to raise without a great deal of supporting evidence, I've highlighted them where I've quoted you for your convenience.

1. The Word of Lowtax and affiliated clans have not done anything to make anyone's life miserable, as the game we are talking about is not open to play as yet except in a closed beta. If idiosyncratic role-playing and claiming a divine right to rule the faction of your choice is some kind of trolling, there are many worse offenders than goons. The goon reputation for organized trolling in games is vastly blown out of proportion to any actual activity, and can largely be attributed to the propaganda of in game rivals.

2. It is a shame that you feel the need to dismiss anyone with a WoL sig before you read what they have to say. That is, in essence, the whole problem goons seem to be having on this forum. While petty tribalism and discrimination is very apropos for role-playing in the Battletech universe, it is not very helpful to a discussion.

3. I'll confess, even I take a small amount of pleasure in tweaking overly serious factional grognards, but the aim is always to educate and entertain. Our goal is to have fun playing a cool game about robots, not to hurt anyone's feelings. Our way of playing the game may not always be what the old guard might like it to be, but if everyone's having fun, who cares?

4. That thread title came about as a result of the baffling reaction to our presence in the game. As you have noted, most of the thread and posters have nothing to do with birds, nerds or togetherness except by association. So while we could change it to be more accurate, we'd have to petition a moderator to make the change, and we all know how busy those guys can get on a large forum ;)

Thanks for your civil discussion, I hope we can improve your opinion of us.

#193 Sirous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 368 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:57 AM

I am sorry that I came across a little harsh in the initial post, I see what the goons do and most of it can be all in good fun as you say, but at whose expense is my only real concern.

After going through a lot of it and rethinking some I do agree that the whole bird thing was rather intriguing and a good way to annoy the true believers out there. If it were all good-natured I could see it working but some of it can and will most likely turn ugly on both sides.

I went and read almost the entire 29 pages over there and will always take an exception to some of the attitudes of what appeared to be some of the more vocal members over there towards the general pop and moderators over here. So like I said WoL will always be taken with a grain of salt by me.

I understand that as a whole it may just be a small minority of members but All it takes is one, after being part of a clan that had one bad member practically destroy our entire server with bans for no reason when noone was babysitting him. Reputations precede themselves and our at that time always full server never recovered, with that and what I have read thus far, it looks like no matter what the goons do they will always apparently have a bad rap.

#194 Bastard Ken

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:04 AM

Well, I continue to appreciate your willingness to be open minded with regards to the majority of us. Just take the time to read our posts rather than our sigs, and I'm sure we'll all get along just fine.

#195 Pat Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationSol, NA, Iowa

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:44 AM

View PostCommieGIR, on 13 July 2012 - 07:11 PM, said:

So thanks for assuming I am a communist.

Not sure if this was in response to what I said but I wasn't assuming anything. Was simply pointing out that you either have a good sense of humor by using that name while being enlisted ;) OR you are a communist in the miltary and I don't view that as a good thing. After reading the rest of the thread I am convinced that you have a good sense of humor but I try hard not to make assumptions. anyway, hope you have fun in the game and maybe you'll get to shoot me once or twice.

#196 Lipot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 107 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:07 AM

While everyone likes to attack Goons due to a few bad apples, I had worst experiences with a few "good" apples. I would be more concern if I found out that Against All Authorities or Curatores Veritatis Alliance had MW:O gaming clans. Both groups have been known to openly shoot their allies in EVE and grief them. While Goons have done some things that most people find despicable, they do it in game. I have said this before, someone has to play the bad guy. So instead of going into their forums and trying to find evidence of their inexcusable behaviour, try to figure out how to deal with them once we all get to play this game. And if you want to really get into things, I believe their EVE Online Alliance Tournament team plays today. Catch the live stream and cheer for their opponent to knock them out of the elimination rounds. In the end, this is a game, the internet is a bunch of electrons running on cables around the world, and we can all decide how we want to play independent of others no matter where in the world we live.

PS: Can we get back to cool radars now? I like to know what I was helping to break from time to time. lol

#197 MechMunchies

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:58 AM

According to their own Forums.

Goons
"Eh, at least Garth asked nicely. It's probably worth sticking to the "wacky bird
**** with bouts of politeness" approach for now anyway. It'll only be funnier when we wind up rolling them once the game actually goes live."

Several thing to point out in this statement. Deception being first, "sticking to the...", then the Goons plan to roll PGI.
Obviously trying to play Garth for a fool.
Sorry to dissapoint you Goons, Garth is no fool and the only ones that are going to get rolled are you.

Goons
"My evil plan is working pretty well for our ***** thread though. We already had out first bite but it wasn't blatant enough for me to demand a temp ban"

So the The Word of Lowtax - Liao Goons create threads tick off the members then when the forum members lash out at them and break the Forum Terms of Service/Code of Conduct the Goons turn around and try to get them banned.
This is pretty common knowledge but I put it out here for those who do not know about the Goons.
In conclusion Goons do not post for legitimate concerns, comments, feedback they
post to create strife and get others who support the game banned.

Goons
"Welp, there goes thread 2. Didn't see a good reason why though. Somehow that thread broke the code of conduct"
"Maybe we should just go silent on the forums save for *****. It's a ***** and the moderation is GameFAQs levels of terrible.
"Sounds good to me"
"Posting on that forum's probably a lose-lose scenario anyways. I find it funny
that Garth, the community manager had no issues with the thread and even posted in it, but it still needs to be shut down."

So what do we learn here? Well, I see more disdain for Garth and the Moderators and according to the Goons the PGI Forum for MWO is a ******.

Goons
"I think the solution is to go covert (remove WoL tags for a bit) and see how many
threads we can inflitrate and devovle into massive flamewars. One point if you
get outed as a goon, two if Metro or whatever that other ridiculous fifteen year
old kid was (name began with A) gets butthurt, three if the thread gets closed by
a crazy mod, then if helmer closes it. That or we can just continue to be better
than the entire community and squak all over their pubbie faces and not give a
single ****."

Pretty self explanatory. Infiltrate PGI's MWO Forums create havoc and "not give a single ****"

Goon The Mattani
"Crossing swords with the devs and their ***** mods is not only a waste of time, the battle has already been won (by us)."

So according to the Goons they have beaten/won the battle against Piranha Games Inc. and "their ***** mods". Not cool.

Goon The Mattani
".....when the launch inevitably goes wrong-as every MMO launch ever inevitably
does. If the community mods respond to legitimate complaints about a borked launch
in the same way they have everything else, it is only a matter of time until they
are replaced or purged".

You can almost hear the delight in their antisipation of PGI failing. Goons are you listening?
PGI/IGN will NOT fail and the launch will be a success.
Then they go on to bash the Moderators of PGI's MWO Forum....again.

Goon Prawned
"I personally plan on driving to the houses of the moderators and petrol-bombing
those *************. But I agree with mittens-dawg, let's just laser some robots in the crotch area and stop worrying ourselves"

This is where the party ends for me. If I'm PGI - time to open up a can of whoop arse.
I'd get this guys IP address and go after him legally. He used the word Petrol
which offers a clue as to what country he's from. Tough sell though as he's
probably spoofing his IP or hiding behind a proxy. Regardless of his follow up
sentence he threatened the life of the Moderators in a very real way.
Lights out for you Prawn.

Another thing. You realize that the Goons are going to finacially hurt PGI/IGN right?
Their antics are going to drive customers away from the game in a big way.
PGI/IGN are going to lose real money. You know about money right?
That stuff that feeds and clothes your children: pays your mortgage.
I've seen people in this thread basically say "it's only words, get over it", "it's all in fun".
Well when you are working over a company, it's game and it's forums and the
company is going to lose money then all bets are off unless of course you think that losing money is "fun".

What do you think is going to happen when the Goons who have Founders packs get into closed Beta?
Do you actually believe that they are going to test to find bugs etc.? lol
No, they are going to do what they do best, and that is cause complete mayhem...and when the game is released to Open Beta?
Total Chaos.

In addition the Goons are going to cost any person who has the misfortune of crossing paths with them, real Money.
When you drop with the Goons and they are on "your team" your Mech will be destroyed...from behind.
If you have already had a couple of bad games and are fighting with a Mech that is already damaged guess what?
Your going to have to get that Credit Card out and you are going to have to give REAL MONEY to get yourself back in the game.
Yes folks the Goons are also going to affect your Bank Account.

I think this behavior exibited by the Goons is much more than just words.
It starts in the individual in his/her heart/mind and then manifest's itself in the life of these people, not only that it manifest's itself in their work, how they raise their children, treat their spouse, co-workers and in their interaction with society.
So though it starts with thoughts, it comes out. Some of it by the child antics we are seeing now from the Goons but also as Prawn put it, he's coming to firebomb those MF. IRL I might add.

You Goons exist not just to take over forums but to diminish profits for companies, create unnecessary expense to players and to intimidate, both online and in real life.

In conclusion the Goons and other groups like them are in fact Pond Scum.

Yes yes, I know I'm not suppose to feed them but I just want to make it clear to those who have never heard of them or will possibly not click on the .jpg files in this post to read the Goon forums.

#198 Hairicin

Wolf's Dragoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 535 posts
  • LocationHinwil, Swiss

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:28 AM

- closed -

23 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 23 guests, 0 anonymous users