Velocity Modules / Beamduration Modules?

28 replies to this topic

#1 Kuritaclan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 March 2016 - 05:27 PM

Reading the Thread "IN-DEPTH ANALYSIS OF WEAPON BALANCE" i really think some of this modules would be a good addition.

Seeing the complain in Post #43 i could see at least modules do the job for LRMs and SRMs.

For SSRMs i really would like to see a missile speed module, it would be a great choice in between cooldown and range.

Velocity Module for AC20 over range or cd - maybe? But at least it would open up a choice.

Trade of CD for smaller Beam duration? Maybe not on Pulse Lasers. But yeah why not

Edited by Kuritaclan, 09 March 2016 - 05:34 PM.

#2 AlphaToaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 09 March 2016 - 05:33 PM

We can replace the Pin Point skill in the elite tree with Hot Load.

Hot Load would increase ballistic velocity and shorten laser duration by 5%. We can say that the lasers burn hotter than normal so to prevent from overheating, rather than dealing more damage, the engineers shortened the burn time. For ballistics, the ammo manufacturers just added a few more grains of powder to each one.

#3 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 05:53 PM

I want to be very clear about this.

If you get PGI to make several new lines of multimillion cbill modules I need to get to stay competitive I'm going to hire NKVA to do all your children's birthday parties.

Until they are 45.

#4 Curccu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,622 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 10:39 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 09 March 2016 - 05:53 PM, said:

I want to be very clear about this.

If you get PGI to make several new lines of multimillion cbill modules I need to get to stay competitive I'm going to hire NKVA to do all your children's birthday parties.

Until they are 45.

Bah 200-400M CB and 200-400k GXP, it's not that much is it? :)

#5 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 12:05 AM

View PostCurccu, on 09 March 2016 - 10:39 PM, said:

Bah 200-400M CB and 200-400k GXP, it's not that much is it? Posted Image

Not kidding.

Even if that means getting a pass to go do it while they're institutionalized, which they will be if NKVA does their birthday parties.

#6 kesmai

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 10 March 2016 - 02:49 AM

The complete module system is borderlining stupid, and has nothing to do with battletech at all. Especially the weapon modules are nothing but 'quirks to buy'. All this was introduced to give gxp a use beyond buying the upgrades in the skill tree, that is in my eyes also completely stupid, as it is nothing else than 'quirks to play/pay for '. At least some did pgi the favor and payed real money to convert xp to gxp, which leads us to the reason why anything of this is in game: The chance for pgi to earn money because a player converts xp to gxp to buy or unlock modules and skills. From a gameplay standpoint nothing of this was ever necessary. I'd rather see most of this go and the few mech and not weapons based modules turned into equipment with weight,slot and cbill cost available for all from the get go.

#7 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 03:50 AM

Any amount of shorter duration (even in current quirks) should be offset by higher heat generation for packing your dps into a shorter burst.

And this is also how the skill tree should be done to replace quirks entirely. Choose your specialization with buffs and corresponding debuffs.

#8 Coryphee

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 857 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 05:41 AM

Thread moved on the appropriate sub-forum.

#9 Kuritaclan

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 March 2016 - 07:38 AM

View PostCoryphee, on 10 March 2016 - 05:41 AM, said:

Thread moved on the appropriate sub-forum.

txh

View PostAlphaToaster, on 09 March 2016 - 05:33 PM, said:

We can replace the Pin Point skill in the elite tree with Hot Load.

Hot Load would increase ballistic velocity and shorten laser duration by 5%. We can say that the lasers burn hotter than normal so to prevent from overheating, rather than dealing more damage, the engineers shortened the burn time. For ballistics, the ammo manufacturers just added a few more grains of powder to each one.

Hotlaod sounds good.

View Postsycocys, on 10 March 2016 - 03:50 AM, said:

Any amount of shorter duration (even in current quirks) should be offset by higher heat generation for packing your dps into a shorter burst.

And this is also how the skill tree should be done to replace quirks entirely. Choose your specialization with buffs and corresponding debuffs.

Well thats on another paper.

View Postkesmai, on 10 March 2016 - 02:49 AM, said:

The complete module system is borderlining stupid, and has nothing to do with battletech at all. Especially the weapon modules are nothing but 'quirks to buy'. All this was introduced to give gxp a use beyond buying the upgrades in the skill tree, that is in my eyes also completely stupid, as it is nothing else than 'quirks to play/pay for '. At least some did pgi the favor and payed real money to convert xp to gxp, which leads us to the reason why anything of this is in game: The chance for pgi to earn money because a player converts xp to gxp to buy or unlock modules and skills. From a gameplay standpoint nothing of this was ever necessary. I'd rather see most of this go and the few mech and not weapons based modules turned into equipment with weight,slot and cbill cost available for all from the get go.

Sure from a gameplay standpoint it isn't necessary. But many i would guess allread have maxed out their modules. So why not give a new set of it to have something more spending the gxp on. And if some people convert XP to gxp via mc - thats only good for the game since pgi needs money from mc buyers.

Edited by Kuritaclan, 10 March 2016 - 07:43 AM.

#10 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:22 AM

If we're asking for more customization in weapons, I'd rather PGI do that through Weapon Manufacturers. Reason being is because after a while you start getting Module stagnation. Where literally you have to buy almost every module to adapt to the FOTM. Basically, the different weapon manufacturers are preset weapon configurations.

Ideally, you have your basic balanced medium laser, and then 2-3 other different types that you can unlock and rank up for GXP and c-bills. So it's what, 2100gxp to unlock a module, and between 3-6 million c-bills to buy a module? PGI can either charge an upfront GXP to unlock the weapon, and then upgrades would only cost c-bills.
Different Manufacturers would varying in heat, damage, range, cooldown, even visual appearance of the weapon effect; such as: different coloured lasers, different flame colour/type for missiles, different AC firing sounds and impact effects (bonus points for scaling effects; higher rank weapons look fancier or different than their rank 1 counterparts. Check this out for various beam effects. ).
All weapons now have a "rank up" feature like we have now for modules. it's all condensed into pre-made weapons. 5 ranks per weapon. Rank 1 weapons comparatively will have minor differences. Rank 5 weapons will have a lot of + and -'s between each other.

This is just as an example:

Medium Laser Manufacturer #1:
DESCRIPT._| Rank 1| Rank 5
Range_____| 500___| 300
Damage____| 5_____| 7
Cooldown__| 1_____| 1.2
Duration__| 1_____| 1
Heat______| 8_____| 6

Medium Laser Manufacturer #2:
DESCRIPT._| Rank 1| Rank 5
Range_____| 550___| 700
Damage____| 5_____| 3
Cooldown__| 1_____| 1.5
Duration__| 0.8___| 0.6
Heat______| 8_____| 10

Etc.

So just an example to show that they start off very similar, and when upgraded will perform very differently.
The trouble here would be weapon overlap. You don’t want an upgraded Rank 5 Small Laser to have similar stats as a Rank 1 Medium Laser, and vice versa.

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 10 March 2016 - 01:49 PM.

#11 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:36 AM

for projectile weapons, range modules should automatically increase velocity

since more range means you need more velocity to hit at the longer range

laser weapons obviously need no help

#12 Thunderbird Anthares

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 10:52 AM

LRM velocity please

#13 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 10 March 2016 - 11:11 AM

I'm torn on this one, I'd like to see velocity modules, but nothing more. I think the more modules and quirks we see, the less chance there is of MWO ever being actually balanced across the board at its core because the balance then becomes based on modules and quirks instead of the weapons themselves and we've seen how that has worked thus far.

#14 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 11:13 AM

Just a thought but instead of introducing new modules to improve weapons maybe PGI can simply change the stats?

#15 MadcatX

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 11:28 AM

I'd prefer they re-work a couple of existing modules to make them at least remotely close to good and an option that folks might consider, such as buffing hill climb to 100% improvement in acceleration/deceleration on a slope (i.e. none), some might try it on Assaults, 100% increase in UAV range, etc. make the current ones worthwhile before implementing new ones and just bloating up an already large module screen of mostly garbage.

#16 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 10 March 2016 - 12:57 PM

There's a lot of win in this thread, from both sides. :)

#17 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 03:41 PM

So you want a balance pass for weapons but you have to pay millions of cbills and thousands of GXP to use it?

PGI trolls us just fine already. You don't need to help them.

#18 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 March 2016 - 03:50 PM

would be fine with me, IF they finally give the modules WEIGHT. As in 1 ton at least per module.

#19 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 04:01 PM

View PostTexAce, on 10 March 2016 - 03:50 PM, said:

would be fine with me, IF they finally give the modules WEIGHT. As in 1 ton at least per module.

5 tons for Seismic Sensor and Advanced Hill Climb, right?

#20 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 March 2016 - 04:08 PM

View Postcazidin, on 10 March 2016 - 04:01 PM, said:

5 tons for Seismic Sensor and Advanced Hill Climb, right?

no 1 ton is enough to make a difference.
All modules together would be 5 tons which is enough. It would make everyone consider changing their build, at the end it would increase TTK which would be good.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users