C-Bill Boost, "prime", And First Mech Advice

12 replies to this topic

#1 Chaplin

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:23 AM

I am a returning player. All I have to my mechwarrior name are 4 founder mechs. After reading around and asking questions in game, I am thinking Timberwolf or Ebon J are good places to start although from a pure Battletech nostalgia, the Marauder is tempting too.

However, also as a new player, grinding C-bills is important. As such I'd like a solid option(s) that have C-Bill boosts like the founder mechs. I see folks mention that "Prime" variants for clan mechs have it, but all I see is a 2.5% rather than the usual 30% which seems slow. I saw something about "invasion" Primes in the clan packs, but that's a lot of money to get an Invasion Timberwolf since it's almost at the top of the chart. Is there a different way? I am considering the $20 Marauder pack plus the $15 Marauder Bounty Hunter (has boost) as a different way to go. What are some suggestions for either in game currency or a moderate cash investment? I'm just looking to prime the pump (no pun intended) to have the first few mechs offer inherent boosts to allow customization and picking up more mechs quicker.

Thanks for the help or suggestions.

#2 invernomuto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:35 AM

View PostChaplin, on 10 March 2016 - 09:23 AM, said:

I am considering the $20 Marauder pack plus the $15 Marauder Bounty Hunter (has boost) as a different way to go. What are some suggestions for either in game currency or a moderate cash investment? I'm just looking to prime the pump (no pun intended) to have the first few mechs offer inherent boosts to allow customization and picking up more mechs quicker.

In my opinion the Marauder pack is a very good one. The base pack is 20$ and you have three really good mechs. The MAD-5D configured with 2 x LRM15 + TAG + BAP and lasers may be a little boring to play with but it is a C-Bills farmer in most maps, at least at my level (Tier 5).
You also get 30 days premium time banked, very useful to boost your C-Bills.
I do not bought the Bounty Hunter add on (at least for now), but the +30% on C-Bills is a nice add on for your C-Bills income combined with premium time (I see that with my only hero mech, the Jenner Oxide).

#3 Darkspart3n

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 41 posts
  • LocationThe Outer Rim

Posted 10 March 2016 - 10:50 AM

First off the normal 'Prime' variants of clan mechs do not come with the 30% c-bill boost sadly and watch out for 'Champion' variants of mechs as they give a 30% XP boost not a c-bill one. I will recommend you wait just a little bit on spending money on a pack and nail down what you really want. You are on the right track but just make sure you are buying what you really want, because personally I do not like the marauders play style but that is just me. Another thing to keep in mind is that you can buy single clan mechs from the 'a la carte' section below the main package section. This can be a good option if you want to buy the Timber Wolf but do not have the $180 to throw down on the whole pack; I bought the stormcrow by itself back when I just started. Ebon Jags are good as well, with very similar builds to the Timbers but just a little less armour and more high mounts but buying them a la carte seems a little less worth it as the Arctic Cheetah and Shadow Cat are both very good mechs that warrant the price.

TLDR: Be happy and confident with your purchase. The +30% c-bill boost is 100% worth it.

~Dark

#4 Chaplin

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 11:05 AM

If I buy the "a la carte" Timberwolf for $50, does that prime have the 30% c-Bill boost? Is there anyway to get a Timberwolf with a c-Bill boost outside of the $50? Similar question for Ebon Jag, do I have to buy the 3 (9) mechs as part of the pack to get the boost versions of the Artic, Shadow, and Ebon?

I'm open for any suggestions about a smart new (few c-Bill account) way to start up the grind in a good reliable mech. I think I long ago earned my 25 match bonus and probably blew it on poor upgrades by today's meta years ago. As it is I'm grinding in my founders Catapault that seems to net me 50 to 200k a match.

Thanks again.

#5 Zerberus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 10 March 2016 - 11:09 AM

The prime variants with cbill bosts people are referring to are the so called "invasion" series mechs. These are available through the store under "Clans", "Clan Wave II" and "Clan Wave III".

The Timberwolf for ex. is the second largest package in Wave I ("Clans"), but is also available a la carte as a single chassis option further down the page.

Both ways will give you the TBR-Prime(I) with the Bonus, the TBR-C and the TBR-S, but the large package comes with 6 other chassis, premium time an other goodies for 2 hundred somethingdollars, while the single chassis solution gives youu just the 3 mechs and mechbays for 55$. If you want another chassis or 2, a "Custom pack" so to speak, you can add more, with each additional chassis added dropping teh per chassis Price by 5$. And starting at the 4th chassis it also adds 30 days premium time for each additional chassis.

So for example the Timber wolf and teh Dire wolf, would cost 100$ together for only those chassis, add a Warhawk and it goes to 45$ chassis for 135$ total, ading the summopner is 160 total and adds 30 days premium time, so on and so forth, up to a total of 6 chassis max w/ 90 days premium time (becasue after that you may as well just get the full Masakari pack w/ all 8 chassis and the extra goodies.) Posted Image

However, if you have the 4 founder´s mechs, you can also just play those to farm cbills and purchase fürther chassis with cbills, because the Founder´s mechs also have the 30% cbill bonus ;)

Edited by Zerberus, 10 March 2016 - 11:21 AM.

#6 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 10 March 2016 - 11:12 AM

Im pretty sure you can only get the c-bill bonus mechs by giving them a wad of cash, whether its a clan mech pack for a prime, or an individual IS hero mech.

Champion mechs provide an XP boost, which is either really useful or not so much depending on how often you play. The real reason to get champion mechs is that they come equipped with uprgrades already so you don't have to sink c-bills into them straight away.

I would just grind with your founders mechs for a bit until you've decided on your next one. If you can get some premium time it will add up nicely. Don't use consumables. Make builds that use the same engine so you don't have to buy as many. Sell excess engines and standard heatsinks. Medium lasers can pile up too.

All 3 heavies you are interested in are solid choices so buyers remorse shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by Roughneck45, 10 March 2016 - 11:22 AM.

#7 BSK

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 03:03 PM

Welcome back Chaplin! The BerSerKer are a unit dedicated to ease the return of Founders into the game, if you need any help or have questions about all the new stuff, please let me know! We hang out on the ComStar NA teamspeak: na1.mech-connect.net
In the channel BerSerKer. Your Founder mechs also give you a 30% boost and except the Atlas are all very useful in quick play and CW. Many people combine their return with high expectations and a very high motivation. My advice would be to put your next purchase on hold and first completely understand the state of the game and your possibilities.

#8 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 10 March 2016 - 07:15 PM

We have a good time in BSK and drop frequently in both CW and in Quick play. We perform quite well as a unit and if you think you might be interested in some quick drops add me to friends list and look me up. I drop with small groups of friends quite often and win or lose we have fun.

That said the biggest money maker founder mecs for me were the Hunchback and Catapult. At lower tier LRM spam is for real lol. But a properly piloted hunchback with an AC 20 and a good team is devestateing still and of all the founders mechs it is most seen in games. Learning in a hunchback how to twist to protect your weapons is a solid skill to have with any mech.

Spending 20 to 40 dollars on a maurader or warhammer pack could be a good move if you want them, both are quite solid mechs and capable of high earnings. Timberwolf as well, the cost is just higher.

If you still have your founders MC you could buy Mastery Packs in the game store and snatch up a trio of mechs (1 will be a hero) and some premium time which helps earnings and exp considerably. Good mastery packs for earning cbills are the Stalker, and thunderbolt. Other than those I would suggest saving the MC for one shot camo and a few colors, but mostly for mechbays.. BSK colors are Officially obsidian black and Prussian blue btw.

#9 Pskonejott

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:10 PM

Basically any collectors pack has one special variant with the 30% cbill boost, with the newer packs offering to add on hero mechs for an additional cost that also have the boost.

For $20 you can get the Jenner IIC (O) origins variant with 2 other variants for eliting. The Jenner IIC (O) is a beast in quick play with 4* SRM6, if lights are your thing. Lights aren't really my thing but I'm taking it out for the event on this weekend and 4-6 kills a match is not uncommon.

The Timber Wolf is a solid choice.

With the current state of quirks the Black Knight 6KNT ® - Resistance 30% boost, is very good with 3 LPL, 3 ML. That could very well change with further quirk passes.

The Marauder, I don't know. It's not a terrible mech, but with a great mech without the bonus you'll probably make more than with the hero marauder.

If you run a clan variant with only omni pods belonging to that variant you get a 2.5% XP boost, but you won't be doing that, it'll be mix and match for optimum performance. It's not a cbill boost, need the invasion variants for that. There aren't any cbill avenues to get mechs with a 30% cbill bonus.

#10 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:15 AM

You can buy the Timberwolf A la carte for $55 (https://mwomercs.com/clans) and get 3 Timberwolves (two non bonus and) one which has the 30% Cbill bonus. You can also buy the Steam heavy performance pack which comes with two different 30% cbill bonus mechs ie the Timberwolf-C(S) and the Thunderbolt-9SE(S) (http://store.steampo...com/app/412242/) for $49.99.

#11 bayoucowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 186 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:07 AM

The Steam pack also comes with 30 day premium time/5 mil c-bills/3000MC. Not sure if you need to re-download client by steam though.

#12 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:48 AM

View Postbayoucowboy, on 11 March 2016 - 09:07 AM, said:

The Steam pack also comes with 30 day premium time/5 mil c-bills/3000MC. Not sure if you need to re-download client by steam though.

My understanding is that the Steam purchases give you a code to redeem through the website on any account you want, the same way the gift store works.

#13 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:16 AM

just to clarify, here are the Mech types and the bonus they get

no letter in brackets and not a hero = no earnings bonus

Any Mechs with a C in brackets (C) and the JR7-D(S) Sarah's Jenner, get 30% extra XP

any Hero Mech or Mech with the following surfixs get 30% extra Cbills, (F) (G) (I) (L) (O) (P) ® (S)(except sara'hs Jenner)
Hero mechs come with a cammo which is not the basic green, and usualy have a name rather than model number

the Phoenix (P) Mechs also get 10% extra loyalty points.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users