42 replies to this topic

#1 Roughneck Cobra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 462 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:48 AM

Just saw the stats for the Archer, to myself there's only one good Model, but you only get 3 Missile pods when there is easily space for 4.

The ECM models a bit of a joke too.

Cant decide if I do want to buy it now, had so much potential but those Quirks, probably better off in a Splatdog!

First 'fresh' LRM/SRM Boat for IS ruined, and they say Clans get crapped on!

Guess we're still gonna be Catapulting. Still.

#2 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:09 AM

Well, yeah. The Mad Dog is the Clan version of the Archer, just like the Hellbringer=Warhammer. Many clan mechs are patterned after classic IS mechs.

#3 Roughneck Cobra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 462 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:11 AM

Just such a let down of a Mech, was excited for it!

#4 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:11 AM

View PostStryker Ezekiel, on 11 March 2016 - 09:48 AM, said:

Just saw the stats for the Archer, to myself there's only one good Model, but you only get 3 Missile pods when there is easily space for 4.

The ECM models a bit of a joke too.

Cant decide if I do want to buy it now, had so much potential but those Quirks, probably better off in a Splatdog!

First 'fresh' LRM/SRM Boat for IS ruined, and they say Clans get crapped on!

Guess we're still gonna be Catapulting. Still.

How exactly is it ruined, and why is there only one good model? You're going to have to qualify those statements.

A letdown because it doesn't have huge quirks?

#5 Roughneck Cobra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 462 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:15 AM

Im actually dissapointed the only good LRM and splat build one only has 3 launchers, simple as, Im on the other forum post for the Archer, I only spotted it after this one.

#6 Xavori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 792 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:16 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 11 March 2016 - 10:11 AM, said:

How exactly is it ruined, and why is there only one good model? You're going to have to qualify those statements.

A letdown because it doesn't have huge quirks?

Because I can list 20 or so other IS mechs that are better missile boats, and practically every other IS mech is better laservomit or ballistics weapon potential.

In other words, you can buy a whole lot of other existing mechs that are simply better than the archer, and unlike the urbie, the archer isn't sexy enough to justify buying it for any other reason than its capacity to fight.

#7 Barantor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:19 AM

View PostXavori, on 11 March 2016 - 10:16 AM, said:

Because I can list 20 or so other IS mechs that are better missile boats, and practically every other IS mech is better laservomit or ballistics weapon potential.

In other words, you can buy a whole lot of other existing mechs that are simply better than the archer, and unlike the urbie, the archer isn't sexy enough to justify buying it for any other reason than its capacity to fight.

Saying "X isn't good" has a long history on this forum of not being true. The shadowhawk for one was labelled 'super DOA' on this very forum for weeks before it was proven wrong in game.

I'm going to wait and see, I'll like it even if it is only 'decent' since I like the catapult and it's decent but not outstanding.

#8 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:21 AM

The Streak-18 ARC-5W will be the first and only IS 'Mech capable of being an effective anti-Light Streak carrier, which is sort of a waste given how much tonnage it has to play with.

The rest are going to be able to rain LRM5 for days on the opponent, better than the MDD can and with better backup weapons.

As an SRM carrier, it might be fierce, but it might also be terrible given its geometry. This is a 'Mech where I would go for torsos on in a brawl, because they are massive.

#9 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:23 AM

View PostBarantor, on 11 March 2016 - 10:19 AM, said:

Saying "X isn't good" has a long history on this forum of not being true. The shadowhawk for one was labelled 'super DOA' on this very forum for weeks before it was proven wrong in game.

I'm going to wait and see, I'll like it even if it is only 'decent' since I like the catapult and it's decent but not outstanding.

TBF you don't see that many around now.

#10 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:27 AM

View PostOderint dum Metuant, on 11 March 2016 - 10:23 AM, said:

TBF you don't see that many around now.

Yeah they were a thing in the jump snipe days and hit it pretty big then, now not so much because other mechs can do things better especially with laservomit.

Battlemaster was terrible according to some and it was till lasers and quirks changed it up. Just hate the DOA without anyone really playing it. Lot different to see it in game than stats on paper.

#11 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:30 AM

View PostBarantor, on 11 March 2016 - 10:27 AM, said:

Yeah they were a thing in the jump snipe days and hit it pretty big then, now not so much because other mechs can do things better especially with laservomit.

Battlemaster was terrible according to some and it was till lasers and quirks changed it up. Just hate the DOA without anyone really playing it. Lot different to see it in game than stats on paper.

DOA is probably the right term, Quirks these days make or break a mech, and the Archers quirks are poor. There are better missle boats out there.

Hopefully they get a second look later though.

#12 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:34 AM

View PostOderint dum Metuant, on 11 March 2016 - 10:30 AM, said:

DOA is probably the right term, Quirks these days make or break a mech, and the Archers quirks are poor. There are better missle boats out there.

Hopefully they get a second look later though.

Eh, I'm a "wait and test it" guy before I write anything off. I bought this pack and I am going to test the hell out of it. To me it isn't any worse than the current Catapults, but it might be better in some areas too.

Of course a lot of folks seem to think that if it isn't the 'top three' mechs in it's weight class it is "worthless" too so I dunno. Lot of gum flapping on this forum about it without anyone having any stick-time with it.

#13 Roughneck Cobra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 462 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:36 AM

View PostBarantor, on 11 March 2016 - 10:34 AM, said:

Eh, I'm a "wait and test it" guy before I write anything off. I bought this pack and I am going to test the hell out of it. To me it isn't any worse than the current Catapults, but it might be better in some areas too.

Of course a lot of folks seem to think that if it isn't the 'top three' mechs in it's weight class it is "worthless" too so I dunno. Lot of gum flapping on this forum about it without anyone having any stick-time with it.

Then, why are you on the Forums and not just waiting test it?

Pot Kettle Black.

#14 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:39 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 11 March 2016 - 10:21 AM, said:

The Streak-18 ARC-5W will be the first and only IS 'Mech capable of being an effective anti-Light Streak carrier, which is sort of a waste given how much tonnage it has to play with.

Streak boats are a waste regardless of their tonnage. Sure there's the occasional thread from some Light pilot crying about running into a Streakcrow and dying instantly, but they get shouted down in short order because the Streakcrow just isn't any good for anything else.

The 9M Archer will be better served by a mix of missile types. Thankfully it has the missile hardpoints to make that possible.

The rest are going to be able to rain LRM5 for days on the opponent, better than the MDD can and with better backup weapons.

LOLno

I forget, which Archer can do 6M 5E? (And don't forget that those are CLAN M and CLAN E.)

Yes, the Maddog is only 60 tons, but the weapons it carries are lighter so it doesn't need to be as heavy to do the same job. And because it's lighter, it's also faster and more maneuverable unless you're planning on cramming a 350 engine into the Archer.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Archer is going to be a fine Mech. But to say that it will be able to do LRM5 rain better than the Maddog, and with better backup weapons, is just silly.

#15 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:42 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 11 March 2016 - 10:09 AM, said:

Well, yeah. The Mad Dog is the Clan version of the Archer, just like the Hellbringer=Warhammer. Many clan mechs are patterned after classic IS mechs.

Well, at least it didn't get Mad Dog stumpy arms. Or stick up it's butt posture.

#16 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:42 AM

View PostStryker Ezekiel, on 11 March 2016 - 10:36 AM, said:

Then, why are you on the Forums and not just waiting test it?

Pot Kettle Black.

Bored? This forum is full of bored people. Why aren't you playing then? :P

I'm also not writing it off, which was my point. It will be interesting to see but no need to claim 'DOA'.

#17 Roughneck Cobra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 462 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:44 AM

I never claimed DOA, Im claiming its a letdown to its Clan counterpart completely, cant wait see the videos of the Mad dogs eating them.

#18 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:47 AM

View PostStryker Ezekiel, on 11 March 2016 - 10:44 AM, said:

I never claimed DOA, Im claiming its a letdown to its Clan counterpart completely, cant wait see the videos of the Mad dogs eating them.

We'll see, it always depends on the pilot and then the mech. I'm eager to see how these doors work and what it can do.

Not saying you claimed DOA, but I'm seeing that sentiment thrown around a lot today just because of quirks. I just shrug and wait for some stick-time.

#19 Xavori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 792 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:00 AM

View PostBarantor, on 11 March 2016 - 10:34 AM, said:

You don't need to test. You simply look at it's quirks compared to the quirks of other existing mechs and realize it's simply cannot perform as well as those mechs. Sure, a good pilot will still be able to make it work, but if that same pilot jumped in a mech with the better quirks, they'd do better as well.

#20 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:12 AM

Quirk'******... <- rhymes with doors.

Edited by DaZur, 11 March 2016 - 11:13 AM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users