192 replies to this topic

#141 Richard Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 887 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 10:48 AM

View PostBlack Phoebe, on 27 March 2016 - 10:08 AM, said:

You reported the Light who did everything right. Staying in the circle and not getting killed was absolutly all he could do. All you know about the other Mech is, that was powered down somewhere. Apparently you do not know if he was actually still able to fight, he may have been legged or weaponless or both. You just assume that they could win by fighting.

It seems you were just salty, that your team did not win the game for you. At least this is what reporting the Light implies.

I warned them both, nothing happened, so I reported them, then the light decided to wake up with a minute or so left and ran about but it was to late I'd already reported them. The opposing side did not state how damaged etc their mechs were, we discerned the light was out of ammo since he didn't fire and he only had srms equipped. You have to understand there was literally 4 to 5 minutes of our mechs walking about trying to find them, then a minute or so of them trying to shoot the light mech and half way through that the stalker reconnected.

Edited by Will Hawker, 27 March 2016 - 10:52 AM.

#142 Chuck Jager

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 11:24 AM

View PostBlack Phoebe, on 27 March 2016 - 10:18 AM, said:

Sigh.

The Light was staying in the circle and prevented them from capping. That is playing the core mechanic of the domination mode, so please tell me what he did wrong.

Probably nothing, but you still have the ability to report them. It is PGI's job to figure out if it is right or wrong. If PGI gets a ton of reports about this specific player they will probably investigate. If PGI continually gets a ton of reports about this situation they will hopefully look at changing the CoC or make other changes. If the person feels threatened and goes and get themselves killed, the dead players get what they want by using a tool that they are allowed to use (selfish behavior on everyone's part).

PGI can not monitor people's behavior, and jerks will be jerks. Gutless, cowardly jerks are the first to say, "but the rules say". These folks hate direct confrontation, but will use whatever means at their disposal to gain some bit of control in their little lives. I am just returning the favor in a direct way that reinforces how powerless they probably are. If folks are just playing to the best of their ability and are trying to win the match a threat of a report will just be empty words. The other folks are just deluding themselves, and eventually if they are a problem the reports will add up or maybe they will grow up a little. We all probably could take a bit of time to see how our action affect others regardless of what we have the "right" to do (definitely include myself in this).

I am hoping that maybe PGI realizes that newer players thinking that playing the mode is important are really just becoming the easy targets for the other team or hurting their own team by not providing extra red doritos and damage.

Edited by Chuck Jager, 27 March 2016 - 12:16 PM.

#143 Mead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 338 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 12:14 PM

View PostWill Hawker, on 27 March 2016 - 10:44 AM, said:

If someone disconnects and doesn't return I do, I reported a guy the other day who didn't dc had a ping didn't return until 30 seconds left in the game and he said his girl friend made him do something.

But he did return. You just got done saying you report if they don't return.

Your buddy stalker did exactly the same thing, but you didn't include him in your little bout of revenge-reporting. Why is that?

Pause and reflect.

#144 Richard Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 887 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 12:24 PM

View PostMead, on 27 March 2016 - 12:14 PM, said:

But he did return. You just got done saying you report if they don't return.

Your buddy stalker did exactly the same thing, but you didn't include him in your little bout of revenge-reporting. Why is that?

Pause and reflect.

The difference is the stalker was fighting in the match but disconnected, how did I know he was fighting? because I saw him fighting and I saw him firing, he actually participated in the match but disconnected. The man I eventually reported was sat afk at the point he spawned, on full health with full ammo, he hadn't done anything and returned with 30 seconds left by then it was to late.

#145 MrMadguy

• 2,212 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 01:17 PM

I also hate, when thread is being clogged via noise, even if it keeps it alive.

#146 Black Phoebe

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 05:27 PM

View PostWill Hawker, on 27 March 2016 - 12:24 PM, said:

The difference is the stalker was fighting in the match but disconnected, how did I know he was fighting? because I saw him fighting and I saw him firing, he actually participated in the match but disconnected. The man I eventually reported was sat afk at the point he spawned, on full health with full ammo, he hadn't done anything and returned with 30 seconds left by then it was to late.

If the AFK Mech was sitting at their spawn he was no hinderance for your win. I could understand when one of his team reported him, but for you his absence was a blessing, maybe even the reason why you didn't lose the game.

I could understand your arguments if it was a round of skirmish, but it was domination. Your goal in domination is to prevent the opfor from capping inside the circle and to destroy or drive them off to be able to cap yourself. You didn't wait 7 minutes because the Light did not participate in battle, you waited because your team was not able to fulfill the mission objective. The opfor is not obliged to help you to win by any means. If neither team is able to fullfill the objective, no one deserves the victory and that is why it was a draw. That is how the domination mode was designed.

Edited by Black Phoebe, 27 March 2016 - 05:28 PM.

#147 Wild Zero

Rookie

• The Marauder
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 07:12 PM

i played a match tonight where i came back from a 4 point deficit in an ERLL Raven so as long as you use R, keep your distance, and maintain accuracy you're not wasting your time

#148 James Argent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 07:31 PM

You only need to worry about being reported if you actually deserve to be reported. A report isn't punishment, it's just a notice to the devs that someone thinks you did something wrong. Any action taken against you will have the subject matches reviewed first...PGI isn't going to just take their word for it. If you do end up having action taken against you, they were right and you were wrong. If not, who cares?

#149 Trissila

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 439 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 07:38 PM

Nobody wants to have their 'mechs locked and unavailable for 8 minutes while you run around in an ECM light with zero hope of actually defeating the 4+ enemy 'mechs remaining before time runs out and you lose anyway. You're wasting 23 other peoples' time for no good reason.

#150 OrmsbyGore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 07:49 PM

View PostMARSAS, on 21 March 2016 - 02:23 AM, said:

hi all, today was left alone from all team , enemy had about 8 mechs left , it was on grim map and i was using raven l with ecm, was runing aroud hiding and shooting enemy trying to hit damaged mechs , enemy was starting to complain that im not participating in game and said they gona report me.

so my question is - if you left last man standing you should just scream "banzai" ant atack them straight into face?, people seems to love stupid meatgrinding in the midle of map but if you use tacticks and strategy then they start crying that you waist they time .
what your opinion on that?

If you're moving around to get better position and fire at the enemy then you did nothing wrong and the peoe complaining were in the wrong. I wonder if they were complaining because they were on a time limit related to an event? Then again, they could simply have quit the match and hoped into another mech.

#151 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:07 PM

It's not that hard to identify the difference.

Ceasing to meaningfully contribute for the remainder of the match if you still have support equipment, useful modules, or weapons (with any necessary ammo) available. Losing your primary weapon is not an acceptable excuse for hiding and/or shutting down if you still have a secondary weapon, a support-based item such as a TAG, or a consumable module available for use.
Running out the clock, or needlessly extending the duration of the match, in cases where doing so will not assist you towards victory.
Running out the clock or needlessly extending the duration of a Faction Play match in an attempt to keep a particular group or Unit in the current engagement for as long as possible, in cases where doing so will not assist you towards victory, is not considered an acceptable tactic.
Disliking a map or game mode or attempting to preserve a player statistic such as Kill/Death Ratio are not acceptable excuses for non-participation

That's the CoC.

If you're taking steps to win the match, great. If you're fighting and doing enough damage to secure a win, great. If you're just dragging the match out to pad your stats and you get reported, expect to get dinged.

If your 'play style' consists of trying to be the last one to die and pad your stats as much as possible, yeah. That's going to get reported often enough to likely get you a ban and nothing of value to the game would be lost.

If you want to practice kiting in a Raven do private matches. They're free. Doing your practice in QP on how to drag a match out is, not surprisingly, going to get you reported and based on CoC it's likely to end up in discipline.

You're playing a game with 23 other people. The idea that you're expected not to be a **** to everyone else to pad your stats really shouldn't be a surprise. It's unfortunate that it seems to be for some people.

To the OP, if you're doing your best to win then great. If you've got no expectation of winning and you're just trying to pad stats, absolutely that's something you can be reported for. Full stop. How that plays out is up to PGI when the reports get filed but I've absolutely seen people get bans for it. Obviously there's some grey areas but again, the question is 'are you taking steps to win the match' as in are you engaging aggressively enough to kill all the enemies before the timer runs out, or are you just avoiding fighting and trying to get a little more damage in and just maybe drag the match timer out and avoid dying to save your KDR?

The former is legit, props to anyone who gets a turnaround (I've seen it done a couple of times) and the later is against CoC. Someones opinion of CoC isn't relevant - it's the CoC, it's what gets you banned, or not.

#152 Skipmagnet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 10:23 PM

Arise, chicken!
Chicken, arise!

Lotta ECM light haters in this thread, then and now. Got a word for you:

Cope.

I don't whine when you bring lrm assaults. I don't complain when I start a match at 97% because you couldn't be arsed to notice when you walked through me. I certainly don't throw a tantrum when pig-slow heavies tell me to go play the objective instead of shoot things and scream if I so much as hesitate in doing so (though this one will make me grumble on voip). So guess what, that means that you lot don't get to tell me what to do if it's just me left, so long as I'm making an effort to play/win. Don't like it? Go to GroupQ or FP, where you have much more control over who ends up on your team and where I do not play.

Buncha whiners.

#153 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 10:43 PM

View Posteyeballs, on 01 November 2017 - 10:23 PM, said:

Arise, chicken!
Chicken, arise!

Lotta ECM light haters in this thread, then and now. Got a word for you:

Cope.

I don't whine when you bring lrm assaults. I don't complain when I start a match at 97% because you couldn't be arsed to notice when you walked through me. I certainly don't throw a tantrum when pig-slow heavies tell me to go play the objective instead of shoot things and scream if I so much as hesitate in doing so (though this one will make me grumble on voip). So guess what, that means that you lot don't get to tell me what to do if it's just me left, so long as I'm making an effort to play/win. Don't like it? Go to GroupQ or FP, where you have much more control over who ends up on your team and where I do not play.

Buncha whiners.

Effort to win.

Your opinion really isn't going to matter. It's what's in the CoC that matters.

If you're putting in an effort to win, great. If you're just trying to pad some stats someone can report you and, absolutely, can end up getting busted for it.

Sure, bringing an LRM assault is terrible. There's plenty of poor choices people can make that sandbag their team. However that's not the same as things that break the CoC, which hiding and not engaging or avoiding fighting to protect your stats absolutely does and absolutely can get you banned.

#154 Skipmagnet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 11:02 PM

Seems like some people will accuse you of 'hiding' if you pull back behind a rock to cool off if you're playing an ecm light. I personally don't try to draw things out too much when it's hopeless, though I usually try to call for a 1v1 in all chat when it happens. Never had anyone take me up on it.

No one wants to 1v1 me in my Purifier.

They must be scared.

Arise, chicken!
Chicken, arise!

#155 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:26 AM

I'm all for someone pulling off a come from behind win. I saw a match last week where a Night Gyr with 2xLB10X and some lasers literally all but solo carried us from a 10-4 losing match to 0-2 win. He got 7 kills and just shy of 1k damage and ended the match at 7%. He was twisting and janking so hard I'm pretty sure he was 1 flair collar jumpsuit away from bringing Disco back.

I saw an ERLL Raven help hero carry a come from behind match before, the Splatcrow was brawling them and trying to keep their back turned to where he was and he would chew them through from behind.

I'm all for the solo hero carry - if you're solo hero carrying.

Conversely the guy who just runs and runs and runs for 2 minutes, then takes 1 shot, then runs for 2 minutes, 1 shot... he's not going to pull the win like that. He just doesn't want to die and so is going to try and burn 8 minutes. That's against CoC and if reported can (and likely will) result in some sort of measure. The ACH I saw the other week who went out, ganked 2 kills and took a ST off a mech but lost a ST himself... still armed, still half a mech, we were 2 kills down but the enemy was badly chewed.... he ran off, in 3PV to watch for enemies, to the furthest part on the map and hid until time ran out and the match ended so he helped his KDR. Reported that guy.

Last Mech Standing can pull a win - with a plan and some skill. If they're trying to carry a win I'll happily volunteer what info I remember on mech conditions, etc. The guy just trying to float the rest of the match and pad his stats a bit? No, he can get reported and enjoy his ban.

#156 Skipmagnet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:44 AM

Meh, I think we're disagreeing. I don't like that behavior, don't do it myself, but I don't find it report worthy. The dude running and shooting is at least trying. That ach deserved a report thiugh, I agree there. That's just rude. I mean, I wish my kdr was higher and I protect it too, but I do so by trying to kill as many as I can before I go down, not "kill secured" and then scamper out of bounds.

I think the ecm light should have two or three minutes of grace when they're LMS before ppl start kvetching, but I guess that's unpopular.

#157 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:48 AM

Honestly I don't report unless it's pretty lame. A couple of minutes, no big deal. Someone dragging out 5+ minutes just to squirrel? I likely wouldn't send a ticket unless it's really, really lame but I'll probably click report in the list. Enough of those and you'll get looked at.

#158 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:59 AM

View PostTrissila, on 01 November 2017 - 07:38 PM, said:

Nobody wants to have their 'mechs locked and unavailable for 8 minutes while you run around in an ECM light with zero hope of actually defeating the 4+ enemy 'mechs remaining before time runs out and you lose anyway. You're wasting 23 other peoples' time for no good reason.

Then don't commit to a 15 minute match, or play another 'mech.

It's really simple.

#159 Skipmagnet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 02:26 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 02 November 2017 - 12:48 AM, said:

Honestly I don't report unless it's pretty lame. A couple of minutes, no big deal. Someone dragging out 5+ minutes just to squirrel? I likely wouldn't send a ticket unless it's really, really lame but I'll probably click report in the list. Enough of those and you'll get looked at.

That's totally fair.

I'm still miffed no one wants to 1v1 me. I pilot a Kit Fox fer cryin' out loud. Letting me go down 1v1 as last mech standing has got to be more entertaining than watching me burn under the fire of a bunch of heavies in eight seconds flat. Yeah, it might take a whole two minutes longer before I'm dead and we lose anyway, but those two minutes could be hilarious. You can't wait two minutes to get your mech free? Can't sit for a bit and have a laugh?

nao I haz a nu sad

(I'm mostly kidding. I have asked for 1v1s as LMS, but I never actually expect anyone to accept and I don't blame them for not. I would like to some day tho. And don't say Solaris. That's different.)

Edited by eyeballs, 02 November 2017 - 02:35 AM.

#160 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 02 November 2017 - 02:41 AM

OP, as long as you are actively engaging and trying to do damage / kill opponents, it's ok.

if you're just hiding and powering down, you are subject to a report.

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users