Why this over Hawken?

98 replies to this topic

#81 Garthak

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:22 PM

Imma play both, The closest thing I would probably compare hawken to is an old xbox game called phantom crash. Really interesting, a little arcady, but with all the customization, its a real fun game. Mechwarrior is just mechwarrior, and its lookin damn good bout now. I just want the steel battalion controller to work on my pc!!! or the hawken controller to have the joysticks not autocenter, like most do. Loved how steel battalions right stick would stay in place when you let go. A throttle would be nice too.

#82 Melcyna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 674 posts
  • LocationYuri Paradise

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:20 PM

View PostGarthak, on 18 July 2012 - 08:22 PM, said:

Imma play both, The closest thing I would probably compare hawken to is an old xbox game called phantom crash. Really interesting, a little arcady, but with all the customization, its a real fun game. Mechwarrior is just mechwarrior, and its lookin damn good bout now. I just want the steel battalion controller to work on my pc!!! or the hawken controller to have the joysticks not autocenter, like most do. Loved how steel battalions right stick would stay in place when you let go. A throttle would be nice too.

Most joystick autocenters because that's practically necessary for their primary purpose ie: flight control mechanism and even if it's not the stick would otherwise fall to one side and continue that movement all the time which means the user have to exert his force to center the stick and MAINTAIN it which is a prospect most game player never want to do as this tires the arm quickly in an extended session.

a stick that doesn't autocenters in particular is partially useless in flight control since it becomes exceedingly difficult to maintain level flight with it.

If you really need a joystick and do not want it to autocenter, the easiest method is to get a Force Feedback joystick that uses the FF mechanism as part of the centering mechanism, and thus capable of adjusting it's centering force, often you can do this through it's software control suite which should give you the control for the amount of force applied to centering force. Once dropped to zero the stick effectively loses all centering force.

Alternatively in a normal joystick the centering force is applied via a spring that is usually mounted on top of the ball socket that houses the potentiometer sensors.

removing this spring effectively ceases all autocentering force on the joystick.

Why exactly you'd want it to be so i have no idea frankly.

Edited by Melcyna, 18 July 2012 - 11:22 PM.

#83 Brenden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:26 PM

Hawken looks abit like a successor to G-Nome.

#84 Scabrous

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 74 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:59 AM

Why choose? they're both f2p, play both, have fun.

#85 Keldun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:32 AM

From the impressive youtube video (the sound effects, graphics and that space ship support really looked great) I have seen, it looks like hawken wont have the same feeling of actually piloting a robot like in mechwarrior games, but more like the feeling wearing a robot suit with a nice cockpit overlay, it doesnt look like you can lose parts of your robot or that you have to throttle to move forward etc... That probably makes hawken better if people wants to play a robot game while keeping most of their fps habits, as for me I' ll probably stick to mw since I m getting a bit bored with regular fps.

Edited by Keldun, 21 July 2012 - 04:39 AM.

#86 BduSlammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Locationatlanta

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:53 AM

THERE IS NO WINNER, WOULD YOU LIKE TO PLAY A GAME OF CHESS

#87 Xant

• PipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 77 posts
  • LocationPfalz

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:19 AM

*walks in a bar* "he ladys i am a mechwarrior *ladys screams like anime japanese schoolgirls* = epic win
*walks in a bar* he ladys i am a hawken pilot *ladys looks strange* WHAT? = kick in the nuts or short speak....pending

sorry for my bad english

#88 Kingofpain

• Pip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 16 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 21 July 2012 - 05:42 AM

MWO follows the true mechwarrior history.where as hawken just seems to be a copy of mechwarriors.not saying that any other mech games are no good but MWO is an original and personally after watching both games MWO is by far the best.

#89 Keldun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:05 AM

View PostXant, on 21 July 2012 - 05:19 AM, said:

*walks in a bar* "he ladys i am a mechwarrior *ladys screams like anime japanese schoolgirls* = epic win
*walks in a bar* he ladys i am a hawken pilot *ladys looks strange* WHAT? = kick in the nuts or short speak....pending

sorry for my bad english

I m not english either but in terms of proportion this is probably more like steps into the bar for the hawken pilot and steps on the bar for the mechwarrior pilot :D

Edited by Keldun, 21 July 2012 - 06:05 AM.

#90 Melcyna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 674 posts
  • LocationYuri Paradise

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:01 AM

View PostKingofpain, on 21 July 2012 - 05:42 AM, said:

MWO follows the true mechwarrior history.where as hawken just seems to be a copy of mechwarriors.not saying that any other mech games are no good but MWO is an original and personally after watching both games MWO is by far the best.

actually if you look at hawken gameplay, it doesn't look like it plays anywhere similar to mechwarrior, nor does it look like one design wise.

it's analogue gameplay wise is closer to armored core.

#91 Hodo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,058 posts
  • LocationArkab

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:07 AM

View PostPogs, on 14 July 2012 - 04:04 AM, said:

Not being in beta (yet) and only having watch vids, why should I go for this instead? Thoughts...

Quite simply put.

THIS IS BATTLETECH!

#92 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:07 AM

It seems to be a remake of G-Nome.

#93 wpmaura

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:09 AM

hawken to be seems to a lot less of a simulation and more of BF3 reskinned in a mech suit

#94 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:15 AM

View Postwpmaura, on 21 July 2012 - 09:09 AM, said:

hawken to be seems to a lot less of a simulation and more of BF3 reskinned in a mech suit

I still stick to the idea that it reminds me of G-Nome, but with lots of pointless jumping around.

#95 Czechu_NS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 182 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:41 AM

View PostBrenden, on 18 July 2012 - 11:26 PM, said:

Hawken looks abit like a successor to G-Nome.

View PostBrenden, on 21 July 2012 - 09:07 AM, said:

It seems to be a remake of G-Nome.

View PostBrenden, on 21 July 2012 - 09:15 AM, said:

I still stick to the idea that it reminds me of G-Nome, but with lots of pointless jumping around.

Why are you posting the same opinion so many times? One post isn't enough? Besides there are so many mecha games Hawken reminds... G-Nome isn't one of them in my opinion. In G-Nome you could exit your HAWC/tank and play on foot/enter other vehicle. It was more like Mechwarrior/Earthsiege - slow, tactical. I would compare Hawken to Phantom Crash or S.L.A.I.

#96 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:55 AM

View PostCzechu NS, on 21 July 2012 - 09:41 AM, said:

Why are you posting the same opinion so many times? One post isn't enough? Besides there are so many mecha games Hawken reminds... G-Nome isn't one of them in my opinion. In G-Nome you could exit your HAWC/tank and play on foot/enter other vehicle. It was more like Mechwarrior/Earthsiege - slow, tactical. I would compare Hawken to Phantom Crash or S.L.A.I.

Eh, I just felt it was a good day to write.

#97 Czechu_NS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 182 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:05 AM

View PostBrenden, on 21 July 2012 - 09:55 AM, said:

Eh, I just felt it was a good day to write.

Oh relax, I'm just addicted to mechs in general so I couldn't resist answering your posts, hehe. It's nice to see another person who played G-Nome! Did you tried the rts in the same universe? It's called Dominion: Storm over Gift 3. Unfortunately I can't tell you if you can run it on the newer OS.

Back to the topic:
I'm a huge mecha fan, I like the fast ones, the slower ones, the big ones, the smaller ones... I would say: OP, play both games and enjoy the mechs! And like already people said here: if you want to play only one, try both and then choose.

Edited by Czechu NS, 21 July 2012 - 10:06 AM.

#98 MuffinTop

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,089 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNext door to nobody.

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:10 PM

Look in the Hawken forums about MWO, and the funny thing is some are comparing Hawken to COD.

#99 tbanzai

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:17 PM

They're both F2P and on different platforms. Why not play both?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users