#1 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:29 AM

Hey guys,

Well, i've been busy as of late. Finally, forced myself to try 3D modelling myself (i've had tried that long time ago, but to be honest, i just couldn't figure out Blender's UI and ragequitted).

I used Google Sketchup to make it (which is a surprisingly intuitive and easy to use, seriously, it was really easy to get into). Now, i DID try to export it to Blender so i could rig it, to pose it or what not, but again, as i did in the past, i couldn't get through the UI and ended up making a huge mess of things, so i decided to leave it unrigged. So it's just a model but damn, if wouldn't have been cool to actually animate it or something?!
I guess i'm just too stupid for that.
Here's the pictures of it. It's probably not the best 3d model around here but you've got to give me credit for trying! I think it came out pretty well, for being the first 3d thing i've actually done.

UPDATE:
I think i might be done with the model now. I'm more or less satisfied with it (and i can't really think of what to do more with it).
I've added more details, changed up the little "camera-eye", moved it slightly more to the front (in the place where the Unseen model has the "machine gun implacement", which didn't really make sense, seeing how the mech isn't equipped with any machine guns, so i thought that it looked SORT OF like a drone's camera, so that's what i did).
Other than that, i've changed the hip joint (at least from the last time i posted any pictures).
And then some random bits and bobs that are too mundane to talk about (including the front end, the undercarriage, etc).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Old pictures (if you're interested):
Spoiler

I was thinking of maybe trying to turn it into a paper-model, cause that'd be pretty cool, but yeah. It'll take me some time to wrap my head around how it works (and heck, maybe in time i can finally understand Blender and its secrets to actually rig this thing!)

(Now, if anyone's actually interested in the model, maybe want to do something with it, i don't know. I might put a link to download it, if anyone's interested)

Slight update on the joints.
Spoiler

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 26 March 2016 - 11:10 AM.

#2 GonaDie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,125 posts
  • LocationThe biggest party you have ever seen

Posted 11 March 2016 - 02:52 AM

That's pretty nice!

If you turn this into a paper model, I will demand PGI to give you a special badge.

#3 Ovion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 06:48 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 11 March 2016 - 01:29 AM, said:

Hey guys,

Well, i've been busy as of late. Finally, forced myself to try 3D modelling myself (i've had tried that long time ago, but to be honest, i just couldn't figure out Blender's UI and ragequitted).

I used Google Sketchup to make it (which is a surprisingly intuitive and easy to use, seriously, it was really easy to get into). Now, i DID try to export it to Blender so i could rig it, to pose it or what not, but again, as i did in the past, i couldn't get through the UI and ended up making a huge mess of things, so i decided to leave it unrigged. So it's just a model but damn, if wouldn't have been cool to actually animate it or something?!
I guess i'm just too stupid for that.
Here's the pictures of it. It's probably not the best 3d model around here but you've got to give me credit for trying! I think it came out pretty well, for being the first 3d thing i've actually done.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I was thinking of maybe trying to turn it into a paper-model, cause that'd be pretty cool, but yeah. It'll take me some time to wrap my head around how it works (and heck, maybe in time i can finally understand Blender and its secrets to actually rig this thing!)

(Now, if anyone's actually interested in the model, maybe want to do something with it, i don't know. I might put a link to download it, if anyone's interested)
If all that detail is actually modelled (looks it), and the mesh is watertight, Can probably 3D print this.

#4 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 06:54 AM

View PostOvion, on 11 March 2016 - 06:48 AM, said:

If all that detail is actually modelled (looks it), and the mesh is watertight, Can probably 3D print this.

As cool as that'd be (the details are actually modeled and as far as i can tell there aren't any gaps in the model, but seeing how i have 0 experience in 3D modeling, i might be wrong), i don't have a 3D printer, nor do i know anyone who does.

#5 Fat Jack Murphy

• PipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 91 posts
  • LocationEuropa

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:08 AM

F... 3d Printing or Paper Models. I want this mech now :D

#6 Ovion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:58 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 11 March 2016 - 06:54 AM, said:

As cool as that'd be (the details are actually modeled and as far as i can tell there aren't any gaps in the model, but seeing how i have 0 experience in 3D modeling, i might be wrong), i don't have a 3D printer, nor do i know anyone who does.
Well, I have one...
Feel free to PM me and when I'm more awake, can discuss what it'd need to be pretable, and have a look at viablilty.

#7 Hitman85

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 270 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationPoland

Posted 12 March 2016 - 09:26 AM

Good job on the model! And don't worry, I've got the same problems with blender. I can look into this model, looks pretty easy to make paper model out of this.

#8 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 09:48 AM

View PostHitman85, on 12 March 2016 - 09:26 AM, said:

Good job on the model! And don't worry, I've got the same problems with blender. I can look into this model, looks pretty easy to make paper model out of this.

Oh sure, if you want, that is.

In which file format do you prefer it? Is there even any difference between the different formats?

#9 Hitman85

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 270 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 12 March 2016 - 10:40 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 12 March 2016 - 09:48 AM, said:

Oh sure, if you want, that is.

In which file format do you prefer it? Is there even any difference between the different formats?

.dae, standard sketchup file, works best with pepakura for me

#10 MightyBolamite

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 190 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 10:58 AM

Saw the title, saw the name, assumed a quad, was not disappointed. Posted Image

#11 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 11:14 AM

View PostMightyBolamite, on 12 March 2016 - 10:58 AM, said:

Saw the title, saw the name, assumed a quad, was not disappointed. Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 Hitman85

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 270 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 12 March 2016 - 12:06 PM

Ok, checked the model, it needs some changes to make paper model.
1. Ball joints are problematic
2. knee joint should be designed with joints that can move in real model.

But beside this it is pretty simple to build 100% accurate, durable paper model. I will be happy to do it but I need to get my models ready for model show, so no time in the next 6 weeks.

Edited by Hitman85, 12 March 2016 - 12:06 PM.

#13 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 12:12 PM

View PostHitman85, on 12 March 2016 - 12:06 PM, said:

Ok, checked the model, it needs some changes to make paper model.
1. Ball joints are problematic
2. knee joint should be designed with joints that can move in real model.

But beside this it is pretty simple to build 100% accurate, durable paper model. I will be happy to do it but I need to get my models ready for model show, so no time in the next 6 weeks.

Oh, take your time.

I'll maybe use that time to at least attempt to rectify the aforementioned problems. Posted Image

#14 Hitman85

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 270 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 12 March 2016 - 12:23 PM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 12 March 2016 - 12:12 PM, said:

Oh, take your time.

I'll maybe use that time to at least attempt to rectify the aforementioned problems. Posted Image

It is not a lot of work, legs are all the same, no arms, only torso :) Can be interesting with movable joints :) Try to replace ball joint with something like this Posted Image

#15 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 01:35 PM

Alright, a slight update.
After numerous painstaking hours i managed to replace all of the joints with (possibly) functional ones. Hinge joints for the ankle and the toes (toes should be hinged in two locations), which came with an somewhat overhauled foot to go along with them.
I also replaced the non-functional 'ball-joint' with a possibly functional Hooke's joint (or universal joint or whatever you call it) in the hip. Though i had issues making it both look good and provide decent articulation (I may have sacrificed some of the bulk on the joint to have more freedom of movement, but i don't think it looks too bad the way it came out).
Spoiler

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 26 March 2016 - 11:06 AM.

#16 Luscious Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:29 PM

Google sketchup you say, I'll have to give that a try since I too struggled to learn on Blender. This looks pretty well put together for someone learning the ropes.

I have pipe dreams of doing up a MWO style Argus I can send off to a 3d printer somewhere ;)

#17 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 11:07 AM

Alright, guys.
So, this is probably the last update i'll do on the model itself, maybe if something comes up in the future, like a paper-model or whatnot, i might bump it.
We shall see.

#18 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 March 2016 - 11:37 PM

Very nice, looks good. If I knew more than basics about 3D printing I'd do it but sadly I lack the resources.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users