Hawken now has a film and live action miniseries

45 replies to this topic

#21 Bluey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationAnatolia

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:35 AM

Yea so logical background history :/ they have massive buildings,tons of scrap heap,tons of technology,science and industrial complexes with hundreads of battle mechas and have no ship to return Terra or another planet to colonize.

Oww noes coparations deserted us we gotta fight with each other to survive.

From real world history

Bougainville Republic
Bougainville Island Total population 186 000 before war era
After vassallage war against New Guinea and Australia to use Bougainville as a toxic dump for neighbour nations
Remaining population 162 000
After war of Independence *Started after uprising of people silenced by killing all civilians with helicopters in the protest area*
Remaining population 175,160 "2000"
Result Republic founded ,Australia and New Guinea payed merc army defeated with bows,arrows,poison needles and alergy creating herbs later captured machine guns and rifles.

Currently Imports and exports are forbiden. No electric,no medicine,no religonistic church support and no oil.
People of Bougainville used electronic parts they salvaged from old toxic waste factories created by Australia in past,
turned them into watermills that produce electricity.Old factories turned into houses with many rooms creating shelters and schools for people.

Bougainville also used their extensive knowledge about herbs to create medicines current state they do not require basic medicines.M14 mines was a daily basis of life they are able to save every victim.

Bougainville unofficial creator of bio oil for their own cars.They used coconaut oil and some secret formula to power up their cars and further use several generators.

Bougainville since lost almost all its religonistic figures in war and having no formal language, they chanelled their spoken knowledge into writings in order to remember Christianity even no bibble left on their land.

Bougainville scavanged equipment left by mercs to create their own armed forces with armored vehicles.
Currently 30% of their island cannot support human life due to high toxic waste created by mines in the region.

So dont tell me hawken have a kick *** story line :/

Edited by Bluey, 14 July 2012 - 11:40 AM.

#22 Rooster68W

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:54 AM

hawken doesn't even look that good

#23 Dataman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 338 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationJakarta, ID

View PostGrugore, on 14 July 2012 - 10:12 AM, said:

Mechwarrior doesn't need it. It has a rich history and many books written about it. That, and I bet their community can't hold a candle to ours. Granted, I'm biased, but I stand by my statement. I would like to see a Mechwarrior movie, though. Imagine what they could do with cgi now? That would be an awesome movie imho.

but new fans need some quick introduction in BT lore.

#24 4braxas

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationCroatia (EU)

Wow... a lot of hate from fanboys on this thread -.- Real ******** it seems.
These movies are good news for Hawken. Considering it's been made by 11 people, and that it's an indie team, it's great :D
Style is very momorable, mech contols are simple and easy, enviroments remind me of Blade Runner type of world.
The game itself doesn't need a 20 year old history as an excuse for getting it's own live action movies and CGI movies or what not, it's a different type of mech shooter FOR **** SAKE! It's like comparing Call of Duty and Battlefield (or ARMA). It's just not possible, difference is too big.
Besides, MechWarrior is slow paced, slow moving giant mechs, bloody Raven is larger and heavier than the largest mech in Hawken.
Hawken is getting so much attention because it was developed by a small hardly heard-of team, and it's delivering something atmospheric and what people want. A FAST PACED MECH SHOOTER.
I mean come on, when you watch an anime or something, how many large, slow moving mechs do you see? Very, very little to none.
It's just how it goes.
However, Hawken will never have fanbase as strong and dedicated as MechWarrior. MechWarrior is a classic, a legend, a veteran, and it has history, both ingame and in real life.
You can't compare these two games in the same way you can't compare Basketball and Soccer. Both center around a ball, but are played 100% differently.

EDIT: And yeah, MechWarrior deserves a movie, only problem it would face is the same as the Watchmen, it's fanbase is populated by fanatics that would lynch the movie for smallest mistakes. So a MechWarrior movie would be a big risk.

Edited by 4braxas, 14 July 2012 - 11:58 AM.

#25 Zakatak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationCanadastan

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:17 PM

Mechwarrior Online better have a kickass intro if it wants to live up to its predecessors!

Hawken looks pretty cool, I'll probably give it a go (although MWO will be taking up most of my time).

#26 Icebound

• Elite Founder
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

In Hawken people will realize an hour or so into the game that they can't get a chopper gunner and will go back to CoD lol

I want PGI to show us some footage of command mechs calling in bombardments though, that would be sweet.

#27 Karyudo ds

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:53 PM

I find it almost nuts Hawken isn't even out yet and we need a mini series for it already. Not that it couldn't be good, just seems unexpected.

View PostHawkeye 72, on 14 July 2012 - 09:55 AM, said:

Anyone good with CGI? I'll write the script lol

That sounds like a fun mini project. Would just have to make sure it actually got done.

#28 JP Josh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 845 posts
  • Locationsteam- jp josh

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:09 PM

warrior clan invasion make the main enemy clan wolf because really they are the best clan out there and make our hero die in the end

#29 Vorov

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:09 PM

IMO the reason why League of Legends is doing so very well is that Riot is spending a lot of time interacting with the community. Examples of this include: weekly videos, lots of fan content is gathered and rebroadcasted, and the devs release patch preview and review videos explaining the rationale behind their decisions. This strengthens the community and ensures a long lasting game with an expanding player base.

The Hawken miniseries may be intended to establish a similar connection with their potential player base even before the game launches. I am making this connection due to the same company financing both LoL and Hawken. These financiers/producers understand how to get a return on their investment and are following their best practices to do so.

We on the other hand got 'recycled' screenshots this week. I hope MWO is not relying on the excitement of the fanbase to keep it going but instead establishes a habit/procedure for actively engaging with its community in a meaningful way on a WEEKLY basis. I fear if this does not happen MWO will have a great start, but a year later will have a very small player base of only the hardest fans, but a year after that they will be insufficient to justify the cost of continued development and operation.

tl,dr: PIRANAHA: PLEASE ENGAGE US IN A MEANINGFUL WAY SO THAT WE, THE COMMUNITY, CAN MAKE THIS GAME A SUCESS FOR A LONG TIME TO COME. THANKS.

#30 Zakatak

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationCanadastan

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:44 PM

View PostBloodshed Romance, on 14 July 2012 - 10:22 AM, said:

i'll play Hawken.. but Mech Warrior will still be my favorite!
and Mech Warrior movies would be amazing..
Mech Warrior apparel and other misc things (car decals, stickers for my computer case, etc) would be amazing aswell...

I want JMS (maker of Babylon 5) to do a take on the Battletech universe. That would rock my socks off.

#31 Thorgar Wulfson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • LocationConcordia, KS

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:55 AM

it was called Robot Jox lol

actually there are a lot of fan made things, and a cartoon though that was crap. seems every time Hollywood touches Battletech they change things up "to make it better" and **** it up because they don't understand the Lore.

#32 Thorgar Wulfson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • LocationConcordia, KS

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:01 AM

I just read the article and it seems they are trying to do what Mechwarrior and Battletech already has. problem with BTech right now is simply this, no focused core group looking out after the franchise and pushing it. Fasa is gone and the rights are broken up along tons of different companies.

Id love to see MWO bring Btech and mechwarrior back under a single guiding group again. We the fans have held it up for years and years, now think of all that support behind a single franchise holder? It would rock!

#33 Bloodshed Romance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 726 posts
  • LocationFlorence, South Carolina

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:29 AM

but do you really think everyone is just going to join up with a "group" and push together??
if anyone sees this and the potential then they're going to fail because they'll want to do it themselves and take all the credit for it....
It would be amazing and the possibilities would be almost endless but all the companies will be hard pressed to just come together and make a wonderful and amazing thing out of Mech Warrior...

#34 pbiggz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,685 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:36 AM

View PostIcebound, on 14 July 2012 - 10:12 AM, said:

It just looks like Call of Duty: Robots. Nothing groundbreaking here, graphics are overrated for sure, gameplay looks twitch based.

Made by Adhesive Games, I had to spend more time than normal googling to find out who made it. Indie company first game, no idea how they managed to get all this hype with such a generic looking title.

I disagree with this. I think the game has its own gritty appeal and while the gameplay does seem faster and more twitch-based it isnt lack-lustre. Im taking all the mech I can get here. To me id say this game seems more like elementals battling.

#35 Thorgar Wulfson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • LocationConcordia, KS

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:37 AM

View PostBloodshed Romance, on 15 July 2012 - 07:29 AM, said:

but do you really think everyone is just going to join up with a "group" and push together??
if anyone sees this and the potential then they're going to fail because they'll want to do it themselves and take all the credit for it....
It would be amazing and the possibilities would be almost endless but all the companies will be hard pressed to just come together and make a wonderful and amazing thing out of Mech Warrior...

yeah id love to see FASA restart and take the reigns again, or for one group to get the rights as long as they were willing to respect the game and its lore and not just toss itout for force fields and 500 ton minibosses

#36 Bloodshed Romance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 726 posts
  • LocationFlorence, South Carolina

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:48 AM

If a group was faithful to the lore and had the passion of Mech Warrior that most of us on here have.. (not saying you have to be legendary to be a die hard fan.. getting tired of people judging by the tag people have...) then I would support them full on.. hell i'd love to even be part of that... I believe that with our strong fan base.. a company could choose to make something really great out of Mech Warrior that we would all love and enjoy.. PGI has done this in taking this leap after over a decade with their release of MWO..
I would love to see PGI go beyond just the game though..
I would love to see the Mech Warrior series (movies or series or whatever), the apparel (like you see transformers and such)..
Mech Warrior could draw in soo many more fans if they played their cards right..
Every mech warrior (I can speak from MW3 up) has had an epic intro movie.. if they would take something like that (Go look at MW4 vengeance for reference) and do the back story (even if it was following a character from his/her training, to her joining a unit and being in battle...)
look at something like Greys Anatomy.. you start following this group of interns and then your still following them (the ones that are left) when they're Residents..
I could reference more TV series or movies like this but Mech Warrior has SERIOUS potential if they get good writers...

#37 SteelJaws

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 275 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:56 AM

If there was to be a Mech Warrior movie I think the easiest way to break it in, for atleast those that aren't familier with the history/lore/universe would be to base it on a season of Solaris. That way they can see what its about without getting bogged down in the history of the 5 factions.

But then it might get compared to Robot Jox.

#38 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:58 AM

From wikipedia:

"A robot is a mechanical or virtual intelligent agent that can perform tasks automatically or with guidance, typically by remote control. In practice, a robot is usually an electro-mechanical machine that is guided by computer and electronic programming. Robots can be autonomous, semi-autonomous or remotely controlled."

The mechs in Mechwarrior are not robots.

Wall-e was one and UAVs could be considered such and I am sure you can think of other examples (Are biological constructs like the Boomers in Bubblegum Crisis or the Replicants from Blade Runner robots?). The Mechwarrior milieu, mechs are not piloted remotely either, they are directly controlled machines.

And the argument "we all know what we mean by robot" does not mean you are correct. Just use the term mechs - it has just as many letters in the plural as robot has in the singular, so no extra typing.

#39 Thorgar Wulfson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • LocationConcordia, KS

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:00 AM

View PostSteelJaws, on 15 July 2012 - 07:56 AM, said:

If there was to be a Mech Warrior movie I think the easiest way to break it in, for atleast those that aren't familier with the history/lore/universe would be to base it on a season of Solaris. That way they can see what its about without getting bogged down in the history of the 5 factions.

But then it might get compared to Robot Jox.

scuttlebutt was that Robot Jox was supposed to be the solaris 7 games but the funding got yanked by FASA when they saw how far off from Btech they had gone.

Actually id say do a series of movies, Pick a Merc group to do like the Grey Death Legion, hell just do "decision at thunder rift" sure its set in 3025 but it really shows the Btech universe well. then either follow the Grey Death Legion up to the Clans then do the Blood of Kerensky trilogy to intro the clans.

#40 Dataman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 338 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationJakarta, ID

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:08 AM

but the Mechwarriors already became one of icon of mecha beside gundam (and patlabor... I still love that mechs) for more than 20 years

hell, we even have tons of books, board game, minis

and oh... the hate-rivalry between IS fans and Clan fans

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users