Kodiak Design Disappointment

97 replies to this topic

#61 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:03 AM

If the Kodiac was being introduced like this, there would be no complaints.

(please remove gauss rifle charge up or make it auto fire after charge)

Edited by Johnny Z, 07 April 2016 - 08:08 AM.

#62 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:05 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 07 April 2016 - 08:03 AM, said:

If the Kodiac was being introduced like this, there would be no complaints.

(please remove gauss rifle charge up or make it auto fire after charge)

Oh man, i miss these little trailers for mechs

They always had such great soundtracks

#63 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:09 AM

View Postcazidin, on 06 April 2016 - 08:08 AM, said:

Just stop and think how amazing the hitboxes will be though. It won't suffer from the large head CT that the Atlas does while still having those large shield arms! No geometric flaws on the back or front that I can see either.

may be, but then the question will be the pelvis, is it CT or ST?`if CT then its just a fail, won't miss those giant balls of steel.

But we have to see it ingame first, some slight angle chnages in the tool already make weird alterations between atlas and Kodiak.

Also legs and arms are extremely huge so taking off specific parts even if the mech twists may be (too) easy.

#64 Wrathful Scythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:09 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 07 April 2016 - 08:05 AM, said:

Oh man, i miss these little trailers for mechs

They always had such great soundtracks

Always loved the Misery trailer. Just a masterpiece.

#65 MTier Slayed Up

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 717 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:16 AM

The issue is it's waist, everything else looked fine on it.

It looks like Quan Chi pulled some weird Voo Doo fatality **** and stretched out the mid waist just so it would match the Atlas in terms of height.

Only other gripe I really have (I'll get flak for this), but the claws...Please, either make them actually useful, or remove them entirely. If I can't throat punch other mechs, or at least sack tap an Atlas with it, I don't want them on there.

#66 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:46 AM

View PostDrtyDshSoap, on 07 April 2016 - 08:16 AM, said:

The issue is it's waist, everything else looked fine on it.

It looks like Quan Chi pulled some weird Voo Doo fatality **** and stretched out the mid waist just so it would match the Atlas in terms of height.

Only other gripe I really have (I'll get flak for this), but the claws...Please, either make them actually useful, or remove them entirely. If I can't throat punch other mechs, or at least sack tap an Atlas with it, I don't want them on there.

They were ceremonial on TT. Clans looked down upon melee combat and really, why would you punch your enemy when you have long range lasers to destroy them from afar? As a plus though, they may catch a few shots without your arms taking damage.

#67 Raso

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 07 April 2016 - 10:20 AM

Can't tell is Space Marine or giant robot...

#68 MTier Slayed Up

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 717 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 10:51 AM

View Postcazidin, on 07 April 2016 - 09:46 AM, said:

They were ceremonial on TT. Clans looked down upon melee combat and really, why would you punch your enemy when you have long range lasers to destroy them from afar? As a plus though, they may catch a few shots without your arms taking damage.

Because why the hell not?

Look at it from this point of view. I'm a big fat *** assault, and sometimes I can't afford to abruptly charge out in the open because I'll die without doing much good. (There is such a thing as a bad push.) So, next tactic. The "Surprise Atlas." I'm either going to attempt to find some extremely low ground to flank, or the issue I'm seeing here, I'm gonna hug a corner and wait for people to unknowingly walk into me...But wait! My big goofy useless Freddy Kruger slashers that are cosmetics are giving away my position! Worse! They can hit my arms by aiming at the spikes, and I can't even react to it unless I facehug the wall like a ***...These arms are important because they have some of my weapons, if not at least a good chunk of my firepower! -CaptainHerpADerp

If it's iconic...Sure...But could you at least give me the option to remove them if they're just going to be sitting on my arms, dangling like I'm some house broken serial killer? I mean, one variant comes with MASC, and if it has the claws, perfect opportunity to ram some hard steel up into some tight spaces.

#69 Raso

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 07 April 2016 - 12:16 PM

With the huge arms I am tempted to see how well they shield my torso. But if I have 4 or 5 lasers in each arm I'm going to not want my arms exposed too much. It will be a interesting mech to master, for sure!

#70 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 07 April 2016 - 12:19 PM

View PostDrtyDshSoap, on 07 April 2016 - 10:51 AM, said:

Look at it from this point of view. I'm a big fat *** assault, and sometimes I can't afford to abruptly charge out in the open because I'll die without doing much good. (There is such a thing as a bad push.) So, next tactic. The "Surprise Atlas." I'm either going to attempt to find some extremely low ground to flank, or the issue I'm seeing here, I'm gonna hug a corner and wait for people to unknowingly walk into me...But wait! My big goofy useless Freddy Kruger slashers that are cosmetics are giving away my position! Worse! They can hit my arms by aiming at the spikes, and I can't even react to it unless I facehug the wall like a ***...These arms are important because they have some of my weapons, if not at least a good chunk of my firepower! -CaptainHerpADerp

If it's iconic...Sure...But could you at least give me the option to remove them if they're just going to be sitting on my arms, dangling like I'm some house broken serial killer? I mean, one variant comes with MASC, and if it has the claws, perfect opportunity to ram some hard steel up into some tight spaces.

Remove them?

Posted Image

Posted Image

They've been around a long time, I doubt many would. It's not going to hurt anything either. I'll use them as shields If I have to, lasers are just backup weapons when you've got the punch of Dual Gauss or a UAC/20.

#71 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 01:38 PM

View PostDrtyDshSoap, on 07 April 2016 - 10:51 AM, said:

You could certainly punch them, the claws would just fold like the tin foil that they are but why would you? You're a Clan Pilot in a Clan Mech. Melee is looked down upon. USE LASERS! USE AUTOCANNONS! USE MISSILES! EVEN LRMS!

To be clear. I would like to see melee combat in MWO if it were implemented and balanced well but right now it isn't here so I'm unfortunately stuck with long distance warfare. Sigh.

#72 Gyrok

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 5,879 posts
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 07 April 2016 - 02:14 PM

View Postcazidin, on 06 April 2016 - 08:08 AM, said:

Just stop and think how amazing the hitboxes will be though. It won't suffer from the large head CT that the Atlas does while still having those large shield arms! No geometric flaws on the back or front that I can see either.

Actually, the CT protrudes from the chest, meaning it can be hit from 90 deg angle or possibly greater.

Additionally, if the sides of the protruding CT are ST for either side, then the ST, when combined with massive shoulder pauldrons, will be exceptionally easy to hit.

All in all, the STs will likely have far more surface area than the current Atlas, with no structure quirks to prop it up. Sure, it might be fast...but these things are something to consider, as durability in a 100T mech is definitely a concern when the competition has crit reduction quirks, and additional structure that make it effectively a 120T mech.

Admittedly, I am less optimistic about this mech after seeing the model.

EDIT: To clarify, I like the overall design and look of the mech. However, there are geometry issues that I can see coming from a mile away...and those issues are pretty much bread and butter issues for most clan mechs.

Edited by Gyrok, 07 April 2016 - 02:15 PM.

#73 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,257 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 07 April 2016 - 02:15 PM

View PostGyrok, on 07 April 2016 - 02:14 PM, said:

I think such judgements are a bit premature don't you?

#74 Gyrok

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 5,879 posts
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 07 April 2016 - 02:18 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 07 April 2016 - 02:15 PM, said:

I think such judgements are a bit premature don't you?

Not really.

Seeing the 3D model, I can already see hit boxes shaping up...and it will either be a HUGE CT, or a skinny CT with HUGE STs. Either one is fatal to a mech the size of this mech.

Consider this...the Atlas has huge STs, and without quirks is not viable. The DW has similar issues in hit boxes to this mech, and it is really not viable due to speed/agility. Even then, the DW has the saving grace of 50 tons of guns. This mech will be more mobile, and we shall see what gun load outs look like, but I can say with certainty that you had better have some amazing agility for a 100T mech in this mech, otherwise anything without MASC will be in rough shape.

However, once this mech drops, I can say for certain they will have to buff the DW to keep it at all relevant because of the lack of raw mobility.

Edited by Gyrok, 07 April 2016 - 02:20 PM.

#75 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 02:20 PM

View PostGyrok, on 07 April 2016 - 02:14 PM, said:

Actually, the CT protrudes from the chest, meaning it can be hit from 90 deg angle or possibly greater.

Additionally, if the sides of the protruding CT are ST for either side, then the ST, when combined with massive shoulder pauldrons, will be exceptionally easy to hit.

All in all, the STs will likely have far more surface area than the current Atlas, with no structure quirks to prop it up. Sure, it might be fast...but these things are something to consider, as durability in a 100T mech is definitely a concern when the competition has crit reduction quirks, and additional structure that make it effectively a 120T mech.

EDIT: To clarify, I like the overall design and look of the mech. However, there are geometry issues that I can see coming from a mile away...and those issues are pretty much bread and butter issues for most clan mechs.

I see what you mean with the CT protruding. I'd think part of that might be considered as ST, which would present its own problems, but that all depends how wide the CT portion of the hitbox is. The massive anime like pauldrons should be considered as part of the arm, not the ST, much like they are for the Atlas.

#76 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 07 April 2016 - 02:30 PM

View PostGyrok, on 07 April 2016 - 02:18 PM, said:

Not really.

Seeing the 3D model, I can already see hit boxes shaping up...and it will either be a HUGE CT, or a skinny CT with HUGE STs. Either one is fatal to a mech the size of this mech.

Consider this...the Atlas has huge STs, and without quirks is not viable. The DW has similar issues in hit boxes to this mech, and it is really not viable due to speed/agility. Even then, the DW has the saving grace of 50 tons of guns. This mech will be more mobile, and we shall see what gun load outs look like, but I can say with certainty that you had better have some amazing agility for a 100T mech in this mech, otherwise anything without MASC will be in rough shape.

However, once this mech drops, I can say for certain they will have to buff the DW to keep it at all relevant because of the lack of raw mobility.

View Postcazidin, on 07 April 2016 - 02:20 PM, said:

I see what you mean with the CT protruding. I'd think part of that might be considered as ST, which would present its own problems, but that all depends how wide the CT portion of the hitbox is. The massive anime like pauldrons should be considered as part of the arm, not the ST, much like they are for the Atlas.

Posted Image

Think one is overthinking the hitboxes.

Mind you, no guarantee PGI will do it the smart way. but the side of the CT bulge is about 3/4 blocked by the forearms. As long as the actual shoulders are arm hitbox, (we already can figure the ST goes into the protrusion based on the missile rack in the LT) from the side it will present almost not torso shot at all.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 07 April 2016 - 02:31 PM.

#77 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 02:36 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 April 2016 - 02:30 PM, said:

Posted Image

Think one is overthinking the hitboxes.

Mind you, no guarantee PGI will do it the smart way. but the side of the CT bulge is about 3/4 blocked by the forearms. As long as the actual shoulders are arm hitbox, (we already can figure the ST goes into the protrusion based on the missile rack in the LT) from the side it will present almost not torso shot at all.

Those hitboxes are completely wrong. The mouth piece is clearly a plate of armor, so the head hitbox would be in either eye. Psshaw, Bishop.

#78 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 07 April 2016 - 02:52 PM

Only problem I have is how HUGE those damn arm omni pods are, i mean it's only energy hardpoints. Seems to large in those images anyhow.

#79 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 02:56 PM

Even then, the DW has the saving grace of 50 tons of guns. This mech will be more mobile, and we shall see what gun load outs look like

DW has an effective-max armor payload of 56 tons, 5 of which are locked as DHS (2 in the engine, 3 external).

Kodiak payload is the same, but with nothing locked. Most people will probably put in at least an XL375 (~60kph base), so that eats up 11 tons over the DW's XL300. So for theorycrafting purposes, it has a 45-ton payload at 60 kph with an XL375.

(4 x CUAC/5 + 4 x CERML is completely doable on the KDK-3.)
(CUAC/20 + 2 CLPL + 4 ACSRM-6 is completely doable on the KDK-SB.)

I agree with your concerns about the torsos. Them's some ginormous shoulderpads. Its waist may be fairly small for a 100-tonner, but it's going to be hard to miss at chest level.

#80 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,257 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 07 April 2016 - 03:05 PM

View PostRoadkill, on 07 April 2016 - 02:56 PM, said:

Kodiak payload is the same, but with nothing locked. Most people will probably put in at least an XL375 (~60kph base), so that eats up 11 tons over the DW's XL300. So for theorycrafting purposes, it has a 45-ton payload at 60 kph with an XL375.

And then you use 7-slots for Endo-Steel and get even more free tonnage :D

Not really.

Eh I think people said the Mauler was going to have issues too didn't they? It has pretty solid hit-boxes for a big mech. I honestly thing the hit boxes are going to be okay here, those arms look to be some nice shields.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users