ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 07 April 2016 - 03:18 PM

View PostDONTOR, on 07 April 2016 - 02:52 PM, said:

Only problem I have is how HUGE those damn arm omni pods are, i mean it's only energy hardpoints. Seems to large in those images anyhow.

those huge arms are what will save the mech. Better to lose an arm and a handful of lasers than a torso. Especially with as much firepower as those torsos pack.

View PostDavegt27, on 07 April 2016 - 03:14 PM, said:

Please don’t make me think about the Kodiak I will probably ask for a refund

why?

#84 MTier Slayed Up

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 717 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 03:20 PM

View Postcazidin, on 07 April 2016 - 01:38 PM, said:

You could certainly punch them, the claws would just fold like the tin foil that they are but why would you? You're a Clan Pilot in a Clan Mech. Melee is looked down upon. USE LASERS! USE AUTOCANNONS! USE MISSILES! EVEN LRMS!

To be clear. I would like to see melee combat in MWO if it were implemented and balanced well but right now it isn't here so I'm unfortunately stuck with long distance warfare. Sigh.

Uh, well I don't role play so no. I enjoy the game and I like playing it, the lore though? Not so much. Anyways, my point is that it would be simply cool if the claws did more than just be a useless cosmetic, as I can see it being abused sometimes or at least giving away a position.

#85 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 04:01 PM

View PostDrtyDshSoap, on 07 April 2016 - 03:20 PM, said:

Uh, well I don't role play so no. I enjoy the game and I like playing it, the lore though? Not so much. Anyways, my point is that it would be simply cool if the claws did more than just be a useless cosmetic, as I can see it being abused sometimes or at least giving away a position.

Oh. I'm not arguing against that. Like I said, i'd like melee combat but PGI has to be able to implement and balance it well against long range weapons. It won't be easy for say, an Atlas to get into range to punch someone (or to pick up and slam a Light mech around like the Hulk.)

Unfortunately, if PGI ever does implement melee combats the claws won't likely add much but that's OK. You're in a fast 100 ton mech. Your punch (or kick even) will deal tremendous damage.

#86 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 04:16 PM

View PostDrtyDshSoap, on 07 April 2016 - 10:51 AM, said:

Because why the hell not?

Look at it from this point of view. I'm a big fat *** assault, and sometimes I can't afford to abruptly charge out in the open because I'll die without doing much good. (There is such a thing as a bad push.) So, next tactic. The "Surprise Atlas." I'm either going to attempt to find some extremely low ground to flank, or the issue I'm seeing here, I'm gonna hug a corner and wait for people to unknowingly walk into me...But wait! My big goofy useless Freddy Kruger slashers that are cosmetics are giving away my position! Worse! They can hit my arms by aiming at the spikes, and I can't even react to it unless I facehug the wall like a ***...These arms are important because they have some of my weapons, if not at least a good chunk of my firepower! -CaptainHerpADerp

If it's iconic...Sure...But could you at least give me the option to remove them if they're just going to be sitting on my arms, dangling like I'm some house broken serial killer? I mean, one variant comes with MASC, and if it has the claws, perfect opportunity to ram some hard steel up into some tight spaces.

I believe when Jonty was doing the Twitch thing he said he thought that the Claws would not be part of the hit box or targetable. He compared them to the antennas on some Mechs. He id say that he is not the "hit box guy" though.

#87 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:58 PM

View PostGyrok, on 07 April 2016 - 02:18 PM, said:

Not really.

Seeing the 3D model, I can already see hit boxes shaping up...and it will either be a HUGE CT, or a skinny CT with HUGE STs. Either one is fatal to a mech the size of this mech.

Consider this...the Atlas has huge STs, and without quirks is not viable. The DW has similar issues in hit boxes to this mech, and it is really not viable due to speed/agility. Even then, the DW has the saving grace of 50 tons of guns. This mech will be more mobile, and we shall see what gun load outs look like, but I can say with certainty that you had better have some amazing agility for a 100T mech in this mech, otherwise anything without MASC will be in rough shape.

However, once this mech drops, I can say for certain they will have to buff the DW to keep it at all relevant because of the lack of raw mobility.

DWF
300XL
No Endo
No Ferro
Max Armor
Not counting locked heatsinks
= 55.3 tons free (50.3 after factoring locked heatsinks)

KDK
375XL
Endo
Clan Ferro
Max Armor
No locked Heatsinks
= 52.51 tons free [approx] (47.51 after adding 5 DHS - all fit in the Engine)

So you get nearly as much tonnage as a Dire Wolf, but with a 375 engine.

Even though you lose 14 crit slots going Endo/Ferro, For energy loadouts you gain 10 bonus crit slots for DHS inside the engine, for pure ballistic loadouts its unlikely to matter

You can also drop down to a 350XL and get an additional 4.5 tons.

Edited by Ultimax, 07 April 2016 - 08:58 PM.

#88 Damien Tokala

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 788 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:08 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 April 2016 - 02:30 PM, said:

Posted Image

Think one is overthinking the hitboxes.

Mind you, no guarantee PGI will do it the smart way. but the side of the CT bulge is about 3/4 blocked by the forearms. As long as the actual shoulders are arm hitbox, (we already can figure the ST goes into the protrusion based on the missile rack in the LT) from the side it will present almost not torso shot at all.

if this is even remotely close to the hitboxes it will present, then maybe it won't be so bad.

#89 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:09 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 April 2016 - 02:30 PM, said:

Posted Image

Think one is overthinking the hitboxes.

Mind you, no guarantee PGI will do it the smart way. but the side of the CT bulge is about 3/4 blocked by the forearms. As long as the actual shoulders are arm hitbox, (we already can figure the ST goes into the protrusion based on the missile rack in the LT) from the side it will present almost not torso shot at all.

That is how i expect the hit boxes to be too.

View Postcazidin, on 07 April 2016 - 02:36 PM, said:

Those hitboxes are completely wrong. The mouth piece is clearly a plate of armor, so the head hitbox would be in either eye. Psshaw, Bishop.

To me the mouthpiece is the cockpit viewscreen

#90 MTier Slayed Up

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 717 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 12:34 AM

View PostRampage, on 07 April 2016 - 04:16 PM, said:

I believe when Jonty was doing the Twitch thing he said he thought that the Claws would not be part of the hit box or targetable. He compared them to the antennas on some Mechs. He id say that he is not the "hit box guy" though.

I hope it wouldn't be part of the hitboxes, it wouldn't make sense.

But what I mean is if I'm all brawl, and I'm playing it similar to an Atlas (Where I can't effectively push), I'll be sitting in a spot that's tall enough to cover me and gives me plenty of opportunity to alphastrike whatever comes around the corner. Basically, I'm saying that the claws could potentially be a giveaway if a pilot has a keen eye. Unless he's a McDerpster or a similar brawler, he's not going to push around that corner.

#91 Nyte Kitsune

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 440 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSeattle, Wa USA

Posted 08 April 2016 - 05:46 AM

View PostMarack Drock the Unicorn Wizard, on 05 April 2016 - 11:43 PM, said:

Atlas looks like that in game too. I have ALWAYS hated the new Atlas design. And also the Awesome suffers the same problem in game too as well.

Posted Image

This one is barely up at all okay and gives a good approximation of everything.

Basically the designs they have put forth to compare it to are possibly in my opinion their worst designs. Its legs are terrible and so is its waist. In my opinion anyways.

I am a super jaded and picky individual though.

From this angle it looks fine to me.. plus, that green makes everything look off. Add a pattern and some colors to it and it'll be fine. Actually rather like the look, sure beats all the ones before it. PGI did a great job on it in comparison.

#92 theta123

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 05:49 AM

I love it. 10 MPL Kodiak 5, here i come

#93 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 07:00 AM

View PostAce Selin, on 07 April 2016 - 09:09 PM, said:

That is how i expect the hit boxes to be too.

To me the mouthpiece is the cockpit viewscreen

downside being Shadowhawk cockpit vision

#94 Gyrok

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:17 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 08 April 2016 - 07:00 AM, said:

Yes...would much prefer a bigger field of view in a 100 tonner.

#95 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:56 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 08 April 2016 - 07:00 AM, said:

That's how it's looking. I suppose an Atlas-esque cockpit view is reminiscent of a 100 ton mech. *shrug*.

That being said, when will we see the interior? Is my pilot sitting on a giant tongue? :D

#96 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:58 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 08 April 2016 - 08:56 AM, said:

That's how it's looking. I suppose an Atlas-esque cockpit view is reminiscent of a 100 ton mech. *shrug*.

That being said, when will we see the interior? Is my pilot sitting on a giant tongue? Posted Image

A DAMP ONE.

#97 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 08 April 2016 - 09:29 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 April 2016 - 03:18 PM, said:

those huge arms are what will save the mech. Better to lose an arm and a handful of lasers than a torso. Especially with as much firepower as those torsos pack.

But at the expense of looks? no thanks, also i mean thickness not length / width so that won't affect damage absorption. Also they should bring the arms in towards the torso a tad also, looks a little funny in those images.

#98 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 08 April 2016 - 09:31 AM

View PostDONTOR, on 08 April 2016 - 09:29 AM, said:

But at the expense of looks? no thanks, also i mean thickness not length / width so that won't affect damage absorption. Also they should bring the arms in towards the torso a tad also, looks a little funny in those images.

Well, it IS still in development...

and you Son of a... where you been DONTOR? you disappeared for quite some time. Welcome back to the forums, did the Kodiak bring you here? :D

18 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users