Regarding The Warhammer...

86 replies to this topic

#1 Mole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 09 April 2016 - 09:56 AM

I'm a little confused about this 'mech. I love my Warhammer. I've loved it since its release. I think it's a great 'mech. But I've seen people complain on these forums that it's a terrible 'mech. And just about every time I happen upon another Warhammer in-game while piloting my own Warhammer I am able to leisurely waltz around the corner and promptly kick their face in from fresh to dead in a few seconds flat and sometimes I don't even lose much armor doing so. I run a WHM-7S with 6 Medium Lasers and 3 SRM6, no Artemis. Standard engine 300. So, why is it that not only am I witnessing people talk about the Warhammer like its the worst thing in the world and also able to feel 90% confident that I can solo down any other Warhammer like its an easy target in my own Warhammer? Have I just found the sweet spot for this 'mech? Or has this 'mech found my sweet spot? Am I just good with a bad 'mech, or are people bad with a good 'mech? I'm seriously confused here. I feel like I need to stress again how easy and reliable it is for me to solo other Warhammers in my Warhammer, because it really is just that easy. Not even a challenge. I don't know why my Warhammer seems to be superior to everyone else's. Any thoughts on my build, the Warhammer in general, and discussion as to why this phenomenon is happening are welcome.

#2 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 09 April 2016 - 10:08 AM

When people are having issues with the Warhammer they are not using the Mech the way it wants to be used. For example my 6R uses the standard PPC's, 4SPL, ASRM4 and 2MG, Endo, all but 2 points of armour, and the stick 280 standard with 5 extra DHS, nothing fancy but she eats things in close. The point I. Trying to make, is some people and mechs click, and some don't. I don't click with the Storm Crow, but me and the Warhammer are a perfect fit.

#3 Afuldan McKronik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 April 2016 - 10:12 AM

That is a good build for the whammie. Another you might like is srm4x3, no artemis, and 6 MPL. Same engine.

I think the problem people have with the whammies is that they really want the lore loadout with (ER)PPC in the arms. Yes, it is iconic. Is it the best loadout for a warhammer? No. I clip terrain all the time with just lasers in the arms, let alone PPC where i dont even have a chance to save some of the damage output.

#4 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 09 April 2016 - 10:14 AM

I run my 7S with a 325XL, 2xLPL, 4xML, 3xSRM4, 3 tons ammo, endo, as many double sinks as I can cram into it, and the rest is armor. Yes, it runs hot. Yes, it's a bit on the fragile side. But dear gawds, it hits like a truck, and has plenty of ability to get in and out of a situation.

#5 Afuldan McKronik

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 April 2016 - 10:20 AM

I run the 6D like an insane bat out of hell. XL 340, 3 LPL, 4 ML and never stop moving. It got me my Ace of Spades a few nights ago.

#6 jonfett

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 355 posts
  • LocationSitting on a NaCl mountain in a place called Puglandia

Posted 09 April 2016 - 10:22 AM

Well, we all complained about the Whammie when it first came out, because it was super squishy and had a CT-magnet. Since then, it's been given more structure and is more brawny then before.

#7 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 10:26 AM

View PostAfuldan McKronik, on 09 April 2016 - 10:12 AM, said:

I think the problem people have with the whammies is that they really want the lore loadout with (ER)PPC in the arms. Yes, it is iconic. Is it the best loadout for a warhammer? No. I clip terrain all the time with just lasers in the arms, let alone PPC where i dont even have a chance to save some of the damage output.

I think the lasers in the arms look good enough to make it still look like a Warhammer. There's only a couple of times I've bothered going out of my way to make sure my 'mech had the iconic look. I went out of my way to make sure that my Marauder had at least one big ol' gun sticking out of its side torso, even on the all energy one which saw me build the mech around a single ERPPC in the torso and also on my Timberwolf where I opted for 2 LRM10 instead of 2 SRM6 because i wanted the iconic ears.

#8 Afuldan McKronik

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 April 2016 - 10:31 AM

Yeah. Even without anything in the slot it retains the look for me imho. Its a tanky wrecking ball that can move almost gracefully with a big engine.

#9 Archangel.84

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warhead
  • The Warhead
  • 220 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 09 April 2016 - 10:32 AM

The problem with the Warhammer is too many dakka builds or LRM builds or otherwise stripping out the big arm guns out there.

Edited by Archangel.84, 09 April 2016 - 10:32 AM.

#10 Afuldan McKronik

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 April 2016 - 10:34 AM

View PostArchangel.84, on 09 April 2016 - 10:32 AM, said:

The problem with the Warhammer is too many dakka builds or LRM builds or otherwise stripping out the big arm guns out there without replacing them with decent weapons.

FTFY.

#11 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 10:43 AM

View PostArchangel.84, on 09 April 2016 - 10:32 AM, said:

The problem with the Warhammer is too many dakka builds or LRM builds or otherwise stripping out the big arm guns out there.

I dunno about this. All that's in my Warhammer's arms is two medium lasers. Not really big arm guns. In fact, I view the arms as the most expendable part of my 'mech. If I lose an arm I lose one medium laser. If I lose a side torso I either lose one SRM6 and three medium lasers or two SRM6 and three medium lasers. If they want an arm, they can have it.

Edited by Mole, 09 April 2016 - 10:43 AM.

#12 Afuldan McKronik

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 April 2016 - 10:45 AM

The arms are pretty good shields.

#13 Richard Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 886 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 10:51 AM

View PostMole, on 09 April 2016 - 10:43 AM, said:

I dunno about this. All that's in my Warhammer's arms is two medium lasers. Not really big arm guns. In fact, I view the arms as the most expendable part of my 'mech. If I lose an arm I lose one medium laser. If I lose a side torso I either lose one SRM6 and three medium lasers or two SRM6 and three medium lasers. If they want an arm, they can have it.

I dunno but if a lot of people are like me it comes down to not dropping the PPCs because of their iconic look. I know I've not removed them despite knowing I'm not that good with them.

My best Warhammer atm is simply the one with tons of energy slots (not even skilled up but already feel more comfortable in it) because it's straight forward, once you start adding in additional weapons like srms, machine guns etc you end up trying to do to much finger management to get the best out of them.

#14 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 09 April 2016 - 10:52 AM

It'd because of several things, mostly reason given is it sucks as a ppc user much the same as the Marauder.

Best builds are the SRM based 7s or the ac/guass versions of the Widow

#15 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 10:55 AM

View PostWill Hawker, on 09 April 2016 - 10:51 AM, said:

once you start adding in additional weapons like srms, machine guns etc you end up trying to do to much finger management to get the best out of them.

I disagree completely. My WHM-7S has three buttons. One fires the torso lasers. Another fires the arm lasers. And the third fires the SRMs. I have a five button mouse. It's not hard to mash three buttons down at once when I need an alpha strike.

Edited by Mole, 09 April 2016 - 10:55 AM.

#16 Afuldan McKronik

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 April 2016 - 10:55 AM

More than 3 groups plus alpha strike rebound on my keyboard gets me confused badly.

#17 Richard Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 886 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 11:02 AM

View PostMole, on 09 April 2016 - 10:55 AM, said:

I disagree completely. My WHM-7S has three buttons. One fires the torso lasers. Another fires the arm lasers. And the third fires the SRMs. I have a five button mouse. It's not hard to mash three buttons down at once when I need an alpha strike.

Do you have to manage heat at all though? My left ppc is my left button, right right ppc is my right button, I have other buttons on my mouse, I tend to have all my lasers in two groups one so I can alpha them together the other is to chain fire them, if I have multiple srms I have one to alpha, one to chain, then there's the machines guns which are just one button. I have to do so much work to micromanage the weapons enough just to compensate for the heat. If I alpha with what I have I'm literally at overheating point which leaves me open as I can't return fire that much.

#18 Afuldan McKronik

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 April 2016 - 11:10 AM

Theres your problem. Too many weapon groups, forcing you to do finger gymnastics. Take the Mg off and use the weight for heat sinks. Just chainfire SRMS for heat management. Theres two less groups for you to use, with better heat dissipation.

#19 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 11:16 AM

I usually make sure to design my 'mechs with no more than four weapon groups. I can hit four buttons on my mouse easily. Maybe 5 if I really need to. But when it gets to a point where I've gotta start hitting buttons on my keyboard for one of my weapon groups then it's no good.

#20 SilentWolff

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 2,174 posts
  • LocationNew Las Vegas

Posted 09 April 2016 - 11:46 AM

The Hammer is one of my favorite mechs and I consistently drop 1000 plus damage in it. Your builds need to reflect the quirks of the mech to maximize efficiently.
I made a thread about this awhile back, the Warhammer isn't a bad mech and if you think it is, it's because your bad, not the mech.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users