12 DHS

#782 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:17 PM

The Nightstar is doing pretty good in Gas's mech poll but it needs your help to overtake the competition. Please go participate as Tina & Paul both posted in the mech thread. It's going to have influence.
https://mwomercs.com...mech-pack-poll/

You can vote for more than one mech per weight class so don't worry, you can vote for your favorite as well.

#783 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 March 2017 - 11:22 PM

Upcoming Nightstar art by Apocalips07
Posted Image

He's not sure if he'll paint it but perhaps if someone has an exceptional suggestion he'd like that.

Here's his art thread
https://mwomercs.com...s-more-to-come/

His Deviantart
http://classifiedpur...deviantart.com/

Edited by TheArisen, 26 March 2017 - 05:16 PM.

#784 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 02:14 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 25 March 2017 - 11:22 PM, said:

Upcoming Nightstar art by Apocalips07
Posted Image

He's not sure if he'll paint it but perhaps if someone has an exceptional suggestion he'd like that.

That is a very Marauder-like impression, even in details like the medium laser-casing on the arms, and I like that a lot. The cockpit is also reminiscent of the old MAD-art. Posted Image

Since we are heading towards the FCCW, I would suggest the 5th FedCom RCT:

navy blue with gold banding on the arms and legs of 'Mechs. Gold is also used to highlight panels on the upper torsos of 'Mechs and turrets of armor units, resulting in a checkerboard pattern.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The 5th is the unit of Annete Leyland aka Atomic Annie, and as discussed before her Nightstar might be a reasonable choice for a Nightstar-HeroMech - even if 'hero' is not exactly the best way to describe her.
But the FedCom RCT colours are nice.

#785 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 26 March 2017 - 02:33 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 23 March 2017 - 08:17 PM, said:

The Nightstar is doing pretty good in Gas's mech poll but it needs your help to overtake the competition. Please go participate as Tina & Paul both posted in the mech thread. It's going to have influence.

You can vote for more than one mech per weight class so don't worry, you can vote for your favorite as well.

do what I can there, but not for the dragon fire! :P

#786 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:05 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 26 March 2017 - 02:14 PM, said:

That is a very Marauder-like impression, even in details like the medium laser-casing on the arms, and I like that a lot. The cockpit is also reminiscent of the old MAD-art. Posted Image

navy blue with gold banding on the arms and legs of 'Mechs. Gold is also used to highlight panels on the upper torsos of 'Mechs and turrets of armor units, resulting in a checkerboard pattern.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The 5th is the unit of Annete Leyland aka Atomic Annie, and as discussed before her Nightstar might be a reasonable choice for a Nightstar-HeroMech - even if 'hero' is not exactly the best way to describe her.

Sounds like a great choice. :)

View PostBishop Steiner, on 26 March 2017 - 02:33 PM, said:

do what I can there, but not for the dragon fire! :P

Haha that's fine by me!

#787 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:08 PM

I messaged him your idea FLG, hope he likes it. Any idea on the paint scheme of that chivalrous merc you mentioned before?

#788 Apocalips07

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:34 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 26 March 2017 - 02:14 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I purposely used the Marauder as an influence for the much of the design, because of the mech. Mostly taking bits and updating them to look heavier armored and improved.

Right now I can do just about whatever with the paint job, but eventually I want to get a lot more complex with the image along the lines of some of my more finished work and that makes changing the paint job more complicated. less flat with outlines and more photo realistic.

#789 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:47 PM

View PostApocalips07, on 26 March 2017 - 05:34 PM, said:

Right now I can do just about whatever with the paint job, but eventually I want to get a lot more complex with the image along the lines of some of my more finished work and that makes changing the paint job more complicated. less flat with outlines and more photo realistic.

Well, I personally can wait for the more complex version of your beautiful image. My suggestion was just in case you feel ready and happy with applying a paint job Posted Image

View PostTheArisen, on 26 March 2017 - 05:08 PM, said:

I messaged him your idea FLG, hope he likes it. Any idea on the paint scheme of that chivalrous merc you mentioned before?

There is no canonical info on it, afaik. Going by the name Rattlesnake Jack, the persumably Davion/AFFC-past, and the service in the Fronc Reaches one has some options how to design the paint scheme, based on an AFFC unit (I'd probably go for a FedCom RCT again; they all have the same paint scheme) but heavily modified, including a prominent snake motif.

#790 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:40 AM

View PostFLG 01, on 26 March 2017 - 06:47 PM, said:

Well, I personally can wait for the more complex version of your beautiful image. My suggestion was just in case you feel ready and happy with applying a paint job Posted Image

There is no canonical info on it, afaik. Going by the name Rattlesnake Jack, the persumably Davion/AFFC-past, and the service in the Fronc Reaches one has some options how to design the paint scheme, based on an AFFC unit (I'd probably go for a FedCom RCT again; they all have the same paint scheme) but heavily modified, including a prominent snake motif.

Makes sense. Looks like the best suggestions would be for Atomic Annie, Rattlesnake Jack or Tancred Sandoval.

#791 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:08 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 27 March 2017 - 10:40 AM, said:

Makes sense. Looks like the best suggestions would be for Atomic Annie, Rattlesnake Jack or Tancred Sandoval.

In terms of lore and attractivity I think Rattlesnake Jack is the best. Tancred is better known, but simply had a stock Nightstar. Leyland is not what you'd sell as a hero, although perhaps that is exactly what people like.

Funny enough, the Nightstar I build for Rattlesnake back then is possible with the new FCCW-era tech (though it is still a somewhat crazy configuration):

Posted Image

#792 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:49 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 27 March 2017 - 12:08 PM, said:

In terms of lore and attractivity I think Rattlesnake Jack is the best. Tancred is better known, but simply had a stock Nightstar. Leyland is not what you'd sell as a hero, although perhaps that is exactly what people like.

Funny enough, the Nightstar I build for Rattlesnake back then is possible with the new FCCW-era tech (though it is still a somewhat crazy configuration):

Posted Image

Hmm I'm not a super big fan of RLs because of their one shot nature but if we're looking at it for MWO hardpoints a Splatstar could be pretty fun.

I made a build based on MRMS.

X3 MRM20s with 7t ammo
X2 erMlas
X1 LPL
XL380
7 dhs

Edited by TheArisen, 27 March 2017 - 11:58 PM.

#793 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 March 2017 - 06:48 AM

What's impressive is the Nightstar is just two votes behind the Sunder. Also the one year anniversary of this thread is pretty close.

#794 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 08:03 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 27 March 2017 - 11:49 PM, said:

Hmm I'm not a super big fan of RLs because of their one shot nature

Well, actually the bigger problem is that the Nightstar simply does not have missiles in their 'DNA'. Take a look at the Marauder-family, it does not like missiles. Nightstar, Dragon Fire, Maelstrom, and Marauder II don't use them at all; Marauder IIC and Marauder make very limited use them in a few variants.
I am thus not a fan of missile boating Nightstars.

But Rocket Launchers are a way out. Think about the lore: this man works in the Periphery as Knight Errant, he takes what he can get there. I chose RL because of their one-shot nature. You don't need complicated installations or an ammo feed system, you just bolt the RL on and you are ready to go. It's the kind of weapon you'd expect out there in the wilderness.
And there you have the missile-hardpoints. That's another reason I propose RLs.

Anyway, I doubt PGI would put that much thought into it anyway. Seeing how they totally ignored the Crab's guiding design principles with their recent Hero-Mech, I am sure we would see at least one missile boating Nightstar anyway. From the balance point of view this might not be a bad thing.
I, however, will stick to the true Nightstar-spirit of ballistic and energy weapons. Posted Image

Edited by FLG 01, 02 April 2017 - 08:04 PM.

#795 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:20 PM

I'm not sure if I've cast my vote on this thread but count me in. I have followed it in always check for new artwork whenever it pops back up..There has been some fantastic new work created because of this thread so there is that. Like the nightstar, and like how you've kept this thread alive...that's some determination. Also, I want a 95 ton mech in line with similar good looks as the EBJ, heck ya. Sunder's cool, but Nightstar is a smooth criminal.

Edited by JackalBeast, 02 April 2017 - 09:21 PM.

#796 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:29 PM

Also, great opportunity to allow a limited amount of mixtech with the hero, with Brubaker's Nightstar. I'm sure that's been mentioned.

#797 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 April 2017 - 10:50 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 02 April 2017 - 08:03 PM, said:

Well, actually the bigger problem is that the Nightstar simply does not have missiles in their 'DNA'. Take a look at the Marauder-family, it does not like missiles. Nightstar, Dragon Fire, Maelstrom, and Marauder II don't use them at all; Marauder IIC and Marauder make very limited use them in a few variants.
I am thus not a fan of missile boating Nightstars.

But Rocket Launchers are a way out. Think about the lore: this man works in the Periphery as Knight Errant, he takes what he can get there. I chose RL because of their one-shot nature. You don't need complicated installations or an ammo feed system, you just bolt the RL on and you are ready to go. It's the kind of weapon you'd expect out there in the wilderness.
And there you have the missile-hardpoints. That's another reason I propose RLs.

Anyway, I doubt PGI would put that much thought into it anyway. Seeing how they totally ignored the Crab's guiding design principles with their recent Hero-Mech, I am sure we would see at least one missile boating Nightstar anyway. From the balance point of view this might not be a bad thing.
I, however, will stick to the true Nightstar-spirit of ballistic and energy weapons. Posted Image

Yeah I agree with that. RLs are popular in the Periphery and they're cheap, so it makes sense.

View PostJackalBeast, on 02 April 2017 - 09:20 PM, said:

I'm not sure if I've cast my vote on this thread but count me in. I have followed it in always check for new artwork whenever it pops back up..There has been some fantastic new work created because of this thread so there is that. Like the nightstar, and like how you've kept this thread alive...that's some determination. Also, I want a 95 ton mech in line with similar good looks as the EBJ, heck ya. Sunder's cool, but Nightstar is a smooth criminal.

Well the Sunder is 90 tons but I do admit I'd prefer the Nightstar despite MW3 & 4 nostalgia. But yeah... in a few days it'll be the one year anniversary of this thread...

View PostJackalBeast, on 02 April 2017 - 09:29 PM, said:

Also, great opportunity to allow a limited amount of mixtech with the hero, with Brubaker's Nightstar. I'm sure that's been mentioned.

TBH I doubt we'll see mix-tech anytime soon. Also I'd prefer the hero have unique hardpoints or something to set it apart. Since we have a mechlab the uniqueness of a mix-tech hero would be gone the same day it came.

Edited by TheArisen, 02 April 2017 - 10:51 PM.

#798 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 April 2017 - 11:00 PM

The Sunder is pulling away... I wish there were some way to get more support for the Nightstar.

#799 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 April 2017 - 12:08 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 02 April 2017 - 11:00 PM, said:

The Sunder is pulling away... I wish there were some way to get more support for the Nightstar.

Maybe if a Youtuber were to endorse the Nightstar?

#800 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:31 PM

Gas has updated the thread so if you haven't voted yet or maybe if you voted for something else you can still support the Nightstar.

Also if you voted "No Opinion" a vote for the Nightstar would be highly appreciated. =D

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users