Behold! The Nightstar! (Victory Achieved!) #nightstar2017

BattleMechs

1016 replies to this topic

#841 Josh Seles

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 10:48 PM

View PostChapeL, on 02 June 2017 - 09:30 PM, said:

Just pointing out that it might share a posture with the Ebon Jag but it's 30 tons heavier. That WILL show on the model. Expect either a wide, squat King Crab type LRM catcher or something narrower but much taller. Betting on the latter myself ( going by the concept art).

I'm only comparing the Nightstar to the Ebon Jaguar in terms of hitboxes and shape. They seem like they'd be kind of similar, considering both the new art from Alex Iglesias and the TRO: 3058 art on Sarna.net.
I am aware that the Nightstar is 95 tons vs the Ebon Jag's 65. The Nightstar will undoubtedly be larger than the Ebon Jag, but it won't have King Crab hitboxes either. I am also expecting the Nightstar's hitboxes to be narrow from a front-on view, and to be somewhat tall: Marauder-esque, good for face-tanking.

Edited by Josh Seles, 02 June 2017 - 11:02 PM.

#842 Reza Malin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 617 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 June 2017 - 12:34 AM

This mech looks absolutely sick.

The civil war update is going to be a big change.

When i see these new mechs, i don't just think what i can do with them now, i think about what i can do with them with light engines, new weapons...etc etc.

Gonna be good......

#843 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 June 2017 - 02:28 AM

I find i hilarious that Alex thought of the same painting by Van Gogh when doing the Nightstar...
https://mwomercs.com...08#entry5770608
Posted Image

I asked AJTrooper to do this piece and asked him to make it kinda look like "Starry Night", Van Gogh's painting.
Posted Image

I also found they did indeed select Shelly Brubaker as the Nightstar hero but since her mech just used clan tech equivalents and cross tech isn't a thing in MWO they just created a new variant alltogether.

Sarna link about Shelly Brubaker
http://www.sarna.net...Shelly_Brubaker

Edited by TheArisen, 03 June 2017 - 02:35 AM.

#844 TELEFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 02:32 AM

I love how that Nightstar looks! It blows the original BattleTech art out of the water!

Now we need the other Star League-era Gauss monster, the Thunder Hawk Posted Image

#845 TheFourthAlly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 209 posts
  • LocationMelbs, Oz

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:06 AM

Congrats to those into the lore of this, pushing for its inclusion. I'm just here because I thought the Mech looked already pretty cool, and that Starry Night colour scheme is tickling my patriotic Dutch glands and personal taste in art.

Would a tier 5 casual weekend pug warrior suffer much in this one? I'm kinda tempted to spend some cash.

#846 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:39 AM

View PostTheFourthAlly, on 03 June 2017 - 03:06 AM, said:

Congrats to those into the lore of this, pushing for its inclusion. I'm just here because I thought the Mech looked already pretty cool, and that Starry Night colour scheme is tickling my patriotic Dutch glands and personal taste in art.

Would a tier 5 casual weekend pug warrior suffer much in this one? I'm kinda tempted to spend some cash.

This mech is going to be a beast. The biggest worry you should have is it lifting you out of T5. This is the first meta mech the IS has gotten in awhile.

#847 TheFourthAlly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 209 posts
  • LocationMelbs, Oz

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:49 AM

Lol. Thanks. It would be babbie's first assault (95t is assault right?), So I wondered if I'd just get shot at even more. Alright, I'll have a look at what level of purchase that classy paint job comes in.

#848 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:59 AM

View PostTheFourthAlly, on 03 June 2017 - 04:49 AM, said:

Lol. Thanks. It would be babbie's first assault (95t is assault right?), So I wondered if I'd just get shot at even more. Alright, I'll have a look at what level of purchase that classy paint job comes in.

It is indeed a 95 tonner and it has a good variety of build options as well. Getting targeted over other mechs is normal for 1. New mechs as everyone wants to take em on and 2. notably dangerous mechs (like the Kodiak or Marauder IIc). The Nightstar will probably fill both of these so you'll need to play it accordingly.

To get the paint job you need to preorder the collector pack or ultimate. What's better is that variant will also grant a 30% Cbill boost like a hero mech.

#849 TheFourthAlly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 209 posts
  • LocationMelbs, Oz

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:10 AM

I think I got that far in figuring things out, but thanks for confirming that. $40 for three regulars, the pretty variant, added bit and a month premium iirc. Yeah, 30% extra space bucks is not to be sneezed at either. Points very much in favour so far.

As long as I can shoot back and ruin someone else's day now and then, I'll be alright. Thanks mate.

#850 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:45 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 03 June 2017 - 04:59 AM, said:

It is indeed a 95 tonner and it has a good variety of build options as well. Getting targeted over other mechs is normal for 1. New mechs as everyone wants to take em on and 2. notably dangerous mechs (like the Kodiak or Marauder IIc). The Nightstar will probably fill both of these so you'll need to play it accordingly.

Y'know, you'd think the Mauler would be one of those aggro 'Mechs, but it seems like people ignore them in-game. I mean that's fine, more damage for me, but seriously: do not ignore Maulers people!

#851 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 June 2017 - 10:44 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 03 June 2017 - 09:45 AM, said:

Y'know, you'd think the Mauler would be one of those aggro 'Mechs, but it seems like people ignore them in-game. I mean that's fine, more damage for me, but seriously: do not ignore Maulers people!

Seriously. I think it's about hype as well. It's like an athlete that doesn't get the respect they deserve.

#852 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 June 2017 - 10:48 AM

Here's Kanajashi's video about the Nightstar. He missed a couple things but overall it's an excellent video.

#853 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 11:02 AM

Easiest $70 I've spent lately.

#854 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 03 June 2017 - 11:08 AM

View PostWill9761, on 02 June 2017 - 10:41 PM, said:

Bishop got his Urbanmech, Imperious got his Mad Cat Mk II, and now TheArisen gets his Nightstar. Congrats man, it looks like a beauty.

And i'm still waiting for my Scorpion
Posted Image

#855 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 03 June 2017 - 11:12 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 03 June 2017 - 11:08 AM, said:

And i'm still waiting for my Scorpion
Posted Image

#856 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 June 2017 - 11:34 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 02 June 2017 - 05:59 PM, said:

I feel like I had some impact on that, visually.....
though more with my original Nightstar versions
Posted Image

Or am I just seeing things?

Are you Duane? I asked Alex on Twitter and he said he based his rendition on minis & "Duane's loose art". https://twitter.com/...908496836935680

#857 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 03 June 2017 - 11:38 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 03 June 2017 - 11:34 AM, said:

Are you Duane? I asked Alex on Twitter and he said he based his rendition on minis & "Duane's loose art". https://twitter.com/...908496836935680

Nope, but I see more elements from mine than the 3058 TRO.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#858 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:29 PM

I hope MRMs are worth using so the WP will be good. I'm thinking quad mrm30s & lasers.

#859 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:08 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 03 June 2017 - 03:29 PM, said:

I hope MRMs are worth using so the WP will be good. I'm thinking quad mrm30s & lasers.

I think we're pretty safe, there. I only wish that the WP had a big engine; slow and missiles seems rather unbecoming for it.

#860 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:14 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 03 June 2017 - 05:08 PM, said:

I think we're pretty safe, there. I only wish that the WP had a big engine; slow and missiles seems rather unbecoming for it.

Well the 345 is just enough for ok speed. It's not a snail like the Dwolf but the Wubshee will be quicker by a lot.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users