How could armor repairs be handled?

14 replies to this topic

#1 Team Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts
  • LocationUrbanmech and Machine Gun Advocate

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:42 PM

Ok so Ive heard like most of you that armor will be able to be destroyed in matches. So obviously, this must mean you have to buy new armor after it gets broken. But, does that mean you have to reallocate each individual point of armor, and buy each ton (uh, tenth ton?) separately? I really hope there is a button like "restore armor to previously selected level- 3,000 c bills". Does anyone see an advantage to doing it otherwise?
Edit: I meant after a match. Sorry. No field repairs I know.
Also should this go in suggestions instead? I wasn't really sure cause I kinda want to know how other people want it handled.

Edited by Team Leader, 14 July 2012 - 03:03 PM.

#2 Chillybill

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:48 PM

have you ever actually played Mechwarrior?

#3 Glastyn

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:55 PM

...uhh...
well, im not sure of this, but id guess, armor wont get removed upon destruction, it just wont count in the next match if u dont repair it...

#4 Hidran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 131 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:57 PM

I like the simple mechwarrior 4 ways of repairing.

#1 go to mech repair bay or mobile field base

#2 finish the mission ;)

#5 mullet steve

• PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationPotters Bar, Hertfordshire, UK

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:01 PM

there will likely be a repair mech button in your mechbay that will repair your mech for you... this may take some time (in game) so you may have to take you other mech out occasionaly... I don't think there will be any mobile repair bases as I think these were generaly hated and considered non cannon...

#6 Team Leader

• 3,222 posts
  • LocationUrbanmech and Machine Gun Advocate

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:02 PM

Woahh woah woah I should have made this clearer. I meant AFTER a match lol not during it. That would be ridiculous!

#7 Donovan Jenks

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:06 PM

I could see in random match play how this would be a button click and C-bills get deducted from your account. But if there is a meta-campaign with salvage and supply lines it would be cool if the pool of available armor for repairs was limited.

This will lend realism to planetary assaults and prolonged engagements. It would also make it possible to allocate armor in some key locations then participate in battles with areas of your mech that are not fully repaired.

#8 Glythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

View PostDonovan Jenks, on 14 July 2012 - 03:06 PM, said:

But if there is a meta-campaign with salvage and supply lines it would be cool if the pool of available armor for repairs was limited.

This will lend realism to planetary assaults and prolonged engagements. It would also make it possible to allocate armor in some key locations then participate in battles with areas of your mech that are not fully repaired.

That is a cool line of thought but they want to make the game fun... if you got the CB you repair the mech. It's that simple.

#9 wheN

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:16 PM

The mech lab and the gameplay will be independent of each other. So when you set up your mech in the lab it will always repair/rearm to the level in the mechlab. Its unlikely that after the initial excitement you will want to or be able to change your configuration every round so something like dictating where the armour goes when you repair will be a hindrance.

I doubt that you will be able to enter a battle with a damage mech as it is unfair on everyone else in your team. Its also stupid.

Last thing you want is someone joining a game with a mech on 5% hp and dying immediately.

#10 Xandre Blackheart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationIn the "cockpit".

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:21 PM

Devs have been quoted as saying your mech will be restored to a minimum level of functionality after each match.

After that it's up to you to go into the mech lab and click the repair button.

#11 Bongo TauKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 559 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationPain, Inner Perpihery, Lyran Commonwealth.

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:32 PM

I thought they were just going with the buy a ton and get 16 points. Then, paste of your mechs boo boos and ride into action!

#12 Xandre Blackheart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationIn the "cockpit".

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:53 PM

View PostBongo TauKat Talasko, on 14 July 2012 - 03:32 PM, said:

I thought they were just going with the buy a ton and get 16 points. Then, paste of your mechs boo boos and ride into action!

Wait... are y... you need sarcasm tags. ;)

#13 Lord Ikka

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:13 PM

The WoT method might be best- Mech repairs cause $XXXX.XX c-bills and you will have to pay it before you can play a "fully" functional Mech. The basic repairs just make the Mech able to barely walk and fight, but the full repair makes all the armor back to pre-fight norms.

#14 CCC Dober

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:09 AM

One of the devs (Bryan maybe) stated that no matter how broke you are, the Mech will always be repaired to such a degree that it can participate in the next battle. It won't operate at peak performance however. Additionally this could be handled like some sort of 2nd rate Mech insurance, which automatically takes a small cut of your earnings after each battle for just such a case. Either that or it's completely free. Personally I wouldn't mind to adjust the insurance cut to tweak the repair status or give certain subsystems/weapons a higher priority.

#15 Fire for Effect

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • 583 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:18 AM

well of course you have to repair your armor in a nice mini game:

will be called Mech-tris some armor parts are falling down and you have to seamlessly repair your holes in your armor with it...

damn I should have kept the secret...

maybe you just throw some money away and your armor is pristine as good as new....

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users