67 replies to this topic

#21 anonymous161

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 16 April 2016 - 07:42 AM

Dominion is just an overall stupid ***'d game mode and just tells me pgi has no imagination whatsoever.

#22 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 16 April 2016 - 07:44 AM

View PostMawai, on 16 April 2016 - 06:37 AM, said:

The only issue that I personally have with Domination is that some of the maps are one-sided, unfair, or offer an advantage to one team or another depending on starting locations. Other than that, it is just a variation on skirmish with the action concentrated in or near the objective area.

It's a variation on Skirmish with forced action, that's what I like.

My problem with Skirmish is that, if both teams are actually playing to win, there's nothing to force people to engage. There are lots of maps with strong defensive positions to set up in, then it's a horribly boring waiting game. Most matches end pretty well, though.

Assault? In theory it's fine, in practice so often I see totally unintentional capraces with no combat at all. Teams simply miss each other, then one person taps a base and both teams pounce on them. Hell, teams miss each other, then try to move back to engage but someone still taps a base and the game ends with a pointless cap anyways. Someone stayed behind to defend? They get rolled over. It's just a terrible mode IMHO, simply because it's so easy to have totally non-combat games.

Conquest? Probably my favourite mode. It's still skirmish, but the whole map does matter and you need to pay attention to more than just killing your opponents. You don't get non-combat matches (I've never seen a non-combat Conquest match) and while sometimes you'll have pug matches where players do something stupid (like over-focus on capping) you have people doing stupid things on every mode. So, unlike assault, because there are multiple cap-points you don't have accidental match ends in silly cap races. And unlike Skirmish, you can't camp up defensively and win.

Domination? I like it a lot, except on a couple matches where the setup is grossly unfair to one side or the other. It's a forced-combat mode, you're not disadvantaged if you're in a slow mech (the dompoint isn't that far away, and you can be firing at it early enough) but you need to think. It's not enough to just be able to win the mech vs. mech fight, you need to know how much you have to push in - need to stop the other team from winning, but the points are typically exposed so you can't just run in like a moron. Thinking is good.

View PostMister Blastman, on 16 April 2016 - 06:51 AM, said:

Given the choice, I pick forced domination every time. The squirmers can't run.

This is kinda what I like about the mode.

As I said above, people have to fight. They can't run off and "Oh I'm capping!" or hide in a corner somewhere. It's just a nice stompy robot fun time where every range band and speed is useful. Forced fight, right from the start.

#23 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 16 April 2016 - 07:52 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 16 April 2016 - 07:44 AM, said:

This is kinda what I like about the mode.

As I said above, people have to fight. They can't run off and "Oh I'm capping!" or hide in a corner somewhere. It's just a nice stompy robot fun time where every range band and speed is useful. Forced fight, right from the start.

What would be extra cool is if the domination spot were random every single time--so you'd literally be forced to play on areas of maps you never do.

#24 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 16 April 2016 - 07:56 AM

View PostTriordinant, on 16 April 2016 - 06:10 AM, said:

People only pick Domination if the other choice was Assault or Conquest. If Skirmish was always a choice you'd almost never see Domination get picked.

Or Conquest or Assault.

99% of people pick skirmish 99% of the time because it's easiest on little brains.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 16 April 2016 - 07:56 AM.

#25 Hydrocarbon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Qualifier
  • WC 2017 Qualifier
  • 659 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 08:00 AM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 16 April 2016 - 02:45 AM, said:

I hate that mode with a passion. They always put the stupid circles in areas with no cover whatsoever and in the worst possible killboxes. I think its hilarious tho that pgi were talking about reworking alpine for a while and reoving the hill then they took the dom circle and put it right at the foot of the hill

Funny you mention that, I had that match first time last night. The spawn at the cliff side (east?) gets completely boned. They have to climb UP or AROUND the mountain, then saunter down a giant open funnel. Meanwhile the other side has little hills to completely cover them.

It should have been put farther south, roughly where the mid conquest spawn is. FAR better matches come from fights down there.

#26 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 16 April 2016 - 08:00 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 16 April 2016 - 07:52 AM, said:

What would be extra cool is if the domination spot were random every single time--so you'd literally be forced to play on areas of maps you never do.

I would love this; you wouldn't know in advance where best to set up firing lines to fire into it, and while a given match may not be entirely fair, at least it would be different every time.

#27 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 16 April 2016 - 08:01 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 16 April 2016 - 08:00 AM, said:

I would love this; you wouldn't know in advance where best to set up firing lines to fire into it, and while a given match may not be entirely fair, at least it would be different every time.

Yup! Then people would /really/ have to move!

#28 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 16 April 2016 - 08:09 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 16 April 2016 - 07:56 AM, said:

Or Conquest or Assault.

99% of people pick skirmish 99% of the time because it's easiest on little brains.

That's the big downside to skirmish, though. Because there's nothing except shooting each other, you can't force the opposing team to act. It really limits actual strategy.

#29 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 16 April 2016 - 08:12 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 16 April 2016 - 08:09 AM, said:

That's the big downside to skirmish, though. Because there's nothing except shooting each other, you can't force the opposing team to act. It really limits actual strategy.

Yes, I know that, hence my distaste for it.

It murderball for the mentally challenged.

Only time I choose it is if Base Rush is the alternative, because base capping for next to new profits is really sooooo exhilarating.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 16 April 2016 - 08:13 AM.

#30 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 16 April 2016 - 08:22 AM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 16 April 2016 - 01:45 AM, said:

For instance the guys who wait to the last second then spam domination as their pick?

How can anyone actually like that buggy mess of a supposed game mode?

1. It no longer matters how long you wait because you can't see the percentages until you vote.

2. Liking a game mode you dislike doesn't make anyone a troll, even if you can't understand why they have a different opinion.

3. It would be just as valid to call you a "skirmish troll" if you voted for that, meaning not valid at all just like your OP.

Also, while I don't think domination is very well designed, it does have one big draw. It forces people to get into the fight which is very nice if you're an aggressive player and get frustrated if people hang back. Domination creates both a gameplay incentive and a psychological "fight here" effect which makes hiding in the back a little less common.

That advantage is of course the downside as well since it reduces the amount of map that gets used, but sometimes it's worth it. For example if I see Polar highlands getting picked I always vote for Domination to prevent a long range standoff.

Edited by Sjorpha, 16 April 2016 - 08:40 AM.

#31 Percimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 264 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 08:43 AM

View PostUltimax, on 16 April 2016 - 07:36 AM, said:

In the solo queue I prefer Domination to Conquest & Assault because it convinces most PUGs to at least go fight.

Assault & Conquest in solo PUG queue often sees poor thinking where players are unable to prioritize fighting over capping or capping over fighting depending on the situation - instead they just do one or the other and completely ignore what's actually needed in that particular match.

For group queue, Conquest is (usually) enjoyable (except for lances of trolls who have zero intention of fighting).

Might be a tier thing, but most team I get in PUG aren't convinced to fight at all. They mostly keep themselves behind cover and watch those fool enough to get into the circle get slaughter.

I haven't decided yet if domination is worse than conquest in PUG. Conquest require some global situation thinking while Domination demands the courage to take a few hit: PUGs lack both of these.

#32 JasonIIC

• PipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 08:47 AM

At the very least, domination prevents that final 5 minute search for the shut down locust that wants to waste every ones time.

#33 EurakaLi

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 09:15 AM

Dom map are fine (except Crimson),they just need to adjust some starting location

Alpine: move it a bit left near that radio tower stuff and adjust start location... or just put it in the base and make the green zone smaller...
I would suggest crimson green zone set in that island (D1 D2) people used to sniper and move both team at the other side of the map(namely B6 and D7,OR B4 and D5 also work ) ... it should pretty fun since every one need to find a way to cross that red sea or fight each other before going in.another way is C7 for the green zone and both team start in B2 C2 vs E2 F2,there going to be some crazy fire work when you try to pass mid passage.

and do something about those radar base ... 15+ second don't worth to send out someone and use 2 cycle of weapons on it....you better focus on killing enemy most of the time(like 95% of the time)

the radar buildings should be that way if you was a little light sneaked in behide them and no one knowing you there and you have a pick between A)shooting someone expose yourself or B)shooting that radar base thing and later shoot someone to expose yourself
you should choose B.) if that thing worth anything since it not expose your location and your laser recycle quickly just used up some heat cap that was free anyway,but currently you will choice A) or just keep waiting.....

shooting at that radar base really have such low strategy value right now

Edited by EurakaLi, 16 April 2016 - 09:24 AM.

#34 Dirty Starfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 09:31 AM

View PostPercimes, on 16 April 2016 - 08:43 AM, said:

Might be a tier thing, but most team I get in PUG aren't convinced to fight at all. They mostly keep themselves behind cover and watch those fool enough to get into the circle get slaughter.

I haven't decided yet if domination is worse than conquest in PUG. Conquest require some global situation thinking while Domination demands the courage to take a few hit: PUGs lack both of these.

I had a team that did this yesterday. Alpha lance rushed the circle to save the day and the whole enemy team pushed. After we all died we saw our whole damn team chasing a squirrel. I couldn't resist the salt and called them a bunch of failed abortions. I was quite proud of that insult.

I never pick domination now.

#35 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 11:46 AM

As someone that has been driving the Atlas a lot, I rather like Domination. It keeps everyone right where I want them to be so that I can mosey on along and face crush people.

#36 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 11:48 AM

I vote for Domination every time it's available. Pretty sure most of the hate is coming from LRM players who are frustrated because LRMs are even more useless than usual in this game mode.

I spam dat multiplier errytime. gg
Posted Image

#37 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 16 April 2016 - 11:52 AM

View PostAresye, on 16 April 2016 - 11:48 AM, said:

I vote for Domination every time it's available. Pretty sure most of the hate is coming from LRM players who are frustrated because LRMs are even more useless than usual in this game mode.

I spam dat multiplier errytime. gg
Posted Image
What? I find LRM's to be more useful in Dom because it's way easier to deny people effective cover when they're restricted to a known geographical area.

Edited by Wintersdark, 16 April 2016 - 11:57 AM.

#38 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,724 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 16 April 2016 - 12:00 PM

Solution simple:
Just shoot the generator and watch the noob's come running willy nilly
Profit.

#39 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 16 April 2016 - 12:00 PM

But yeah, the secondary objectives are completely useless. They're literally useless way in a match, if your winning later there's no need, and if you're tied or losing, going to hit them just hastens your team's demise. This means they're either useless, or actively a disadvantage to destroy.

#40 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 12:04 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 16 April 2016 - 11:52 AM, said:

What? I find LRM's to be more useful in Dom because it's way easier to deny people effective cover when they're restricted to a known geographical area.

Depends on the map.

For example, I can't see LRMs working at all on River City Domination, given that the center point is the citadel, and both teams are often on opposite sides of it.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users