9 replies to this topic

#1 Banditman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationThe Templars

Posted 18 April 2016 - 10:38 AM

Yes, I'm absolutely stealing the idea from Tribes. For those of you who played Tribes, this may not require any explanation. I'll do one for the woefully ignorant of the awesomeness that was Tribes, along with some thoughts on how MWO might go into this general concept.

So, Fuel.

I acknowledge that the name will likely need to change in order to fit in better with the Battletech universe. The general concept of the game is that each team has a base where they start out. At one or more points around the battlefield, there is a fuel depot. The goal of the game is to collect more fuel than the opposing team. The trick that makes this not Conquest is that the fuel depots remain neutral.

Fuel depots produce fuel at some rate, and can hold some amount of fuel.

A mech that gets within a certain radius of a fuel depot begins building up fuel, which is subtracted from the amount in the depot. The bigger the mech, the more fuel it can hold. Maybe by weight class, maybe by tonnage. Mechs can choose not to fill up completely, or they can wait until they are full. At whatever point they choose, in order to actually score the points, they must return the fuel to their base.

You delay your opponents by killing their fuel carriers - they do the same to you.

Game can end on a timer, say 10 or 15 minutes, at which point the team with the most fuel wins. A "goal" for total fuel can be set, and upon reaching that goal that team wins.

Dealing with mech kills could be interesting. This sort of game plays best with respawns. So, yes, it would make an excellent CW game mode. For the public queue, you could add depth by having the game end when all the mechs on one team are dead - but the team with the most fuel still wins. It would force people to think - do I kill this last mech? Are we ahead? Do I let him kill me?

I think it would be fun. It would be DIFFERENT than what we have now. A mode where light mechs could truly shine. Multiple neutral fuel depots means that deathballing just won't work. Scouting becomes essential. It would be a mode that mindless killing simply won't carry the day.

I'd enjoy it anyway, but then again, I enjoyed it in Tribes. I also liked CTF and Team Rabbit, but that's a different story for a different day.

Cheers.

Edited by Banditman, 18 April 2016 - 10:39 AM.

#2 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 18 April 2016 - 10:43 AM

Resource collecting is fun in a lot of games. I guess the most interesting way to do that in this game would work to.

#3 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 18 April 2016 - 10:44 AM

fusion engines.. what fuel

#4 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 18 April 2016 - 11:06 AM

View PostCathy, on 18 April 2016 - 10:44 AM, said:

fusion engines.. what fuel

Hydrogen?

#5 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 18 April 2016 - 11:10 AM

Reminds me of the Siege game mode in Hawken.

#6 Damia Savon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 608 posts
  • LocationMidwest, USA

Posted 18 April 2016 - 11:17 AM

Just call it "Resources" and realize it is a different version of Conquest.

#7 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 18 April 2016 - 11:45 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 18 April 2016 - 11:10 AM, said:

Reminds me of the Siege game mode in Hawken.

You said the H word go stand in the corner until you are ready to recant your sins

#8 Rhaythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 11:46 AM

This sounds familiar.

View PostCathy, on 18 April 2016 - 11:45 AM, said:

You said the H word go stand in the corner until you are ready to recant your sins

Hey, man. Criticize all you want. It deserves some of it. But that game has far more interesting game-modes than anything in MWO.

#9 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 11:55 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 18 April 2016 - 11:46 AM, said:

This sounds familiar.

Hey, man. Criticize all you want. It deserves some of it. But that game has far more interesting game-modes than anything in MWO.

Well, in real life, overweight women have to do more to keep their men happy than their more attractive counterparts. Not saying MWO or Hawken is overweight...maybe Hawken has to have better game modes to make up for their refrigerator looking mechs.

#10 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 18 April 2016 - 11:59 AM

Hawken mechs are Fallout props with legs lol.

Anyway, I'm not saying one game is better than the other (even though I played 3+ years of this game and only a few hours of that one which should tell you how I feel about it). I just brought it up purely because the idea sounds like that game's Siege Mode.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users