Multiplayer Battletech:3025

24 replies to this topic

#1 Battalion

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:11 PM

Anyone here play the beta test of it back in the day? is SCORPS still around?

Lay it Down
Battalion

#2 Aedan Dracowyr

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:44 AM

I did. I had a fun time, certainly. It was a shame they shut it down.

#3 Fire for Effect

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • 583 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:48 AM

Yes me too, looked quite good at its days no idea why they closed shop....

only thing that sucked was house warfare....

#4 Holywind

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:53 AM

I played it as well and I believe they shut it down because Microsoft was developing MW4 or something and they had copyright.

#5 Aedan Dracowyr

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:02 AM

View PostHolywind, on 15 July 2012 - 04:53 AM, said:

I played it as well and I believe they shut it down because Microsoft was developing MW4 or something and they had copyright.

Actually, if I remember correctly, Microsoft had licensed "Mechwarrior" so Kesmai was using "Battletech" in order to differentiate the two properties. Kesmai was bought by EA...EA does some strange things.

#6 Wieland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 755 posts
  • LocationKitzingen, Bolan Province, Protectorate of Donegal, Lyran Commonwealth

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:06 AM

Good old MPBT:3025, was lots of fun.

#7 Ettibber

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 300 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:17 AM

View PostFire for Effect, on 15 July 2012 - 04:48 AM, said:

Yes me too, looked quite good at its days no idea why they closed shop....

only thing that sucked was house warfare....
what was wrong with house warfare i missed it, i blame everquest and being a 14 year old.

#8 Astaroth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:20 AM

They shut it down because of the cost. I can't recall the details, but EA had made a decision to stop development of a number of their free and/or online games. They felt they were losing too much money on the development and wouldn't be able to sustain the model even once the games went live.

I could be wrong, but that's what I remember.

#9 1stStrike86

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 102 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:27 AM

i played it too and had lots of fun with it...and since they shut it down, i've been waiting for a game like MWO :)

#10 Alex Novian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 149 posts
  • LocationNew Vandenburg, Taurian Concordat

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:52 AM

Loved the Clean animation of it, great movment, Only thing I had a Major beef with was the Weapon cycle timers... Turning some Mechs into something they never were, good against other Mechs.

The TT game weapon specs were set for 10 second rounds. turning that into a real time game had its problems when they Mixed in different cycle times (Solaris7 arena timers) for those weapons. An AC/2 does not, nor should it EVER, come close to a PPC in terms of damage over a given amount of time (10 seconds).

A Panther once in PPC range of a Black Jack should chew it to shreds, not the other way around.

But all in all if they would have fixed that Horrible imbalance issue it would something I'd probably still be playing :)

The cycle times for weapons is the only real reason I haven't tossed in my 120 yet. I haven't seens anything definative on this in the Vids I've watched and other stuff I've read that would convince me that it isn't messed up.

Alex 'Crenshaw' Novian

#11 OICU812

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 113 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:04 AM

One of the worse moves EA has made! It would still be going strong today had they kept with it.....

#12 Battalion

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:51 AM

It was one of the first online multiplayer games out there ( 2 other online MW titles previous).. I played Spec Ops: Ranger Team Bravo at that time as well... it used the lobby GUI setup as well. I think gamers wanted persistant worlds like EQ, Asheron's Call, and eventually WoW... but Im very glad they brought some form of that game back...I had such a good time playing it, Im still talking about it 10 yrs later LOL.

From what I remember, the announcement was made in the lobby as I exitted a game... they had lost their financial backer. I had JUST purchased my Hunchback 40. MY fav was the Raven though.... Maybe the BlackJack.

To this day I have maintained that BT:3025, if allowed to continue .. MIGHT have prevented WoW. In an alternate timeline, MILLIONS of gamers have been spared from the LEEROY JENKINS identifier. =)

ok.,,maybe not..

Lay it Down
Battalion aka Sativa[SCORPSr]

Edited by Battalion, 15 July 2012 - 07:58 AM.

#13 Battalion

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:55 AM

for nostalgia's sake =)

http://www.multiplayerbattletech.com/

#14 Brose

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationChicago, Illinois

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:18 AM

Great game, -1 to EA for cancelling it.

#15 Fire for Effect

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • 583 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:26 AM

well house wars was wrong insofar that repeatedly withhin one week the draconis combine or capellans were being conquered. there were not enough provinces each realm had only about 20...

#16 LethalKisses

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 38 posts
  • Locationdark side of the moon

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:47 AM

best game ever .. in my opinion.. mainly for the house warfare ... waht is the use in play only for "personal glory" ? i dont play games for years to inflate my K/D ratio :D i just finished looking it up (mpbt 3025) and found a link here ^^.. keep hoping that one day someone will hack it and start a server .. or buy the rights w/e..

but seriously .. what other game do you think about as much or with the same love as that one ? for me .. none ;) i want a real reason to play a game !!!!!!!!!!!!

#17 zer0imh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 581 posts
  • LocationFomalhaut

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:05 AM

i checked the youtube vid...

wow i'm impressed! even the armor representation is from the battletech data sheet.
mech movement is also nice.

what a loss :D

Edited by zer0imh, 03 September 2012 - 02:07 AM.

#18 NPComplete

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationIf there's a bright center to the universe, I'm on the planet that it's farthest from

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:36 AM

I remember it fondly. Only got to play a handful of times, but it was great. I was/am sad that it was cancelled.

#19 Hohiro Kurita

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:58 AM

Which one? The failed EA one that was really good or the really old mpbt 3025 of the 90s? I played the EA beta and I enjoyed it thoroughly. I was very disappointed when they cancelled it.

If you refer to the EA beta it was by no means one of the first online multi games. By that time there were easily more than 50 online PC games. If you mean the original 3025, yes, it was one of the first online multis that didn't use IPX or other horrible connections by todays standards.

Edited by Hohiro Kurita, 03 September 2012 - 08:00 AM.

#20 Kumakichi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,337 posts
  • LocationYoyodyne Propulsion Factory

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:53 PM

I played MPBT3025 a lot, right up until pilots starting ejecting because they were about to lose. It was surprising how often it started to happen. I was robbed of my fun so I quit playing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users