4 replies to this topic

#1 Lorian Sunrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationCochrane, Alberta

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:11 AM

Just looking for some feedback on an idea I had regarding 4 v 4.

To avoid lances of Stormcrows or Oxides or whatever, I've seen it suggested that there be a weight limit on each lance which I think could work, just depends on the limit.

My suggestion however would be simply that there cannot be two of the same mech in each lance.

Is this too restrictive?

#2 Afuldan McKronik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:12 AM

For Clans, yes. We only have one 55 ton mech. If we had 3 like IS, would be a great idea.

#3 2fast2stompy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:37 AM

Yes, let's split the population even further. I can't keep up with this fast-paced queue, there's just not enough time to rest between matches.

#4 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:42 AM

Instead of limiting the tonnage limit, why not just remove it entirely? Let the Steiner lances loose if people insist on doing so. Restricting maps to the larger ones should also help.

#5 Natural Born Corpse

• Pip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:49 AM

At first glance, the idea of limiting mechs in the lances does seem like a pretty good idea, yep, it would cut down on the cookie cutter IS or clan lances that are prevalent at the moment in the scouting drops.
Unfortunately, i can see a couple of problems

1/ The meta driving, tier 1, ultra competitive, "i play this game to maximize my rewards, not for some strange and pointless ideal such as fun and enjoyment" crowd, will cry that either side only has 1 or 2 mechs that can actually be used to "win" the match and that you are "nerfing" and "limiting" their enjoyment.

2/ New players, are often restricted to the mechs they can access, they will possible not be have mechs available to them to allow them to switch at the drop of a hat, and so you end up blocking them from a game type and potentially could end up losing players.

The other idea of setting a weight limit, could work, but maybe it requires looking at from the idea of role and game-play perspective.

Should the team that is trying to gather the Intel, be restricted to only using light mechs? the idea being that they are truly there to scout and gather Intel, not to confront the enemy? should the "attacker" be limited to a lance weight limit of, for example 110 tons, not enough to bring 4 x 35 ton mechs, but would force both IS and Clan players to push the design limits of different mechs.

In the same case, should the "defending" lance, be able to take a max tonnage of, for example 180 tons, again, not enough to allow them to bring 4 x 55 ton mechs, but enough for them to have to think and plan how they are going to "hunt down" the invaders/

As fun as the 4v4 scouting drops are, and i have had some great drops over the last couple of days, it does lack certain edge to the idea, they mostly descend down into a close quarter brawl, there needs to be more incentive for "attackers" to gather Intel and escape, on the flip side, there needs to be more incentive for the "defenders" to slowdown or stop the "attackes" from getting intel points. Maybe the answer is a sliding scale, at the start of the match the "defenders" control all 20 points, and get X reward per tick ( a vague and fluffy description that can be filled out later), the "attacker" gain X reward points depending on how many they hold during the match ( using a very vague and fluffy idea here to try to get the impression of an idea over)

Basically, any change in the current format, needs to be re-balanced against the new ideas, be that a weight limit to lances, a cap on number of mechs per drop, or some other great idea.

Anyway, enough of my random and weird ramblings....

Corpse out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users