Gameplay

103 replies to this topic

#1 LegendaryArticuno

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 664 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 03:00 PM

Not sure I need two FPS in my life... I spent quite a lot on MWO, more than I realize and more than I care to admit Posted Image

But Overwatch looks so fresh... and is backed by a top tier developer.

#2 Damocles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 21 April 2016 - 03:06 PM

uh go play overwatch then?

#3 LegendaryArticuno

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 664 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 03:11 PM

I haven't preordered yet... can't decide if I want Cyclops + Hero or Overwatch.

#4 hybrid black

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 844 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 03:12 PM

Crossout

#5 Triordinant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 21 April 2016 - 03:15 PM

Posted Image

#6 Weyen

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 03:15 PM

View PostLegendaryArticuno, on 21 April 2016 - 03:11 PM, said:

I haven't preordered yet... can't decide if I want Cyclops + Hero or Overwatch.

I'll just play both, probably.

For preordering, I'd just get the Cyclops without hero (you can always upgrade later and still get the early adopter bonus) and the cheap version of Overwatch.

Or there's Paladins, the free-to-play game that's kinda similar to Overwatch. It's still in closed beta, but you can probably find someone to give you a spare key.

#7 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 21 April 2016 - 03:19 PM

View PostLegendaryArticuno, on 21 April 2016 - 03:00 PM, said:

Not sure I need two FPS in my life... I spent quite a lot on MWO, more than I realize and more than I care to admit Posted Image

You cant be serious.

Edited by Johnny Z, 21 April 2016 - 03:20 PM.

#8 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 21 April 2016 - 03:33 PM

That game looks sooo lame, I don't even.

In my humble opinion, it's like they took the most juvenile, mainstream, cliché elements of all the nerdiest franchises on the market, from World of Warcraft, Dota, Star Wars Old Republic, Mass Effect, Naruto and Guardians of the Galaxy and just grinded it all into some easily digestible purée for the 12-16 year olds.

"Oh, can I be the cyborg warlock lady with the perfect make-up and boob armour? You be the pink sniper alien lady with the tight bodysuit and the exposed boobs."

#9 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 21 April 2016 - 03:38 PM

View PostLegendaryArticuno, on 21 April 2016 - 03:00 PM, said:

Have fun on Overwatch. I hear there's no lore to detract from the experience.

#10 Weyen

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 03:43 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 21 April 2016 - 03:33 PM, said:

"Oh, can I be the cyborg warlock lady with the perfect make-up and boob armour? You be the pink sniper alien lady with the tight bodysuit and the exposed boobs."

Well, those who live in glass houses, etc. etc. We are playing a game where science is essentially given the middle finger so that we can have giant robots firing laser beams at each other. After so many years of FPS defined entirely by drab army dudes shooting assault rifles at other drab army dudes on a drab map, I'm not going to complain that Blizzard is trying something different.

The gameplay is really different from MWO though, to the point where I'm really hesitant to compare them at all. They're both first person multiplayer objective based games is about the only point they have in common.

#11 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 21 April 2016 - 04:04 PM

View PostWeyen, on 21 April 2016 - 03:43 PM, said:

Well, those who live in glass houses, etc. etc. We are playing a game where science is essentially given the middle finger so that we can have giant robots firing laser beams at each other. After so many years of FPS defined entirely by drab army dudes shooting assault rifles at other drab army dudes on a drab map, I'm not going to complain that Blizzard is trying something different.

The Battletech universe is certainly guilty of a million tropes and clichées, but the Mechwarrior games should be praised for their ability to ignore all the silly stuff from Battletech lore. It's basically the opposite of what usually happens when old sci-fi universes become computer games or movies. They usually ignore the deep, rich lore and focus on some shallow element with mass appeal, like Space Marines, Jedi or cyborgs, and the hardcore fans are left crying because casual fans don't know what they're missing. But the original Mechwarrior games actually took all the cool stuff out of Battletech and tried to ignore most of the silly stuff.

As for the lack of realism, I can't really think of any popular, realistic sci-fi universes at all that have successfully become video games. They're all extremely unrealistic, bordering on fantasy, basically. What popular, realistic sci-fi universes are there?

As for Overwatch, I don't begrudge it being made, I just find that it doesn't appeal to me. I'm clearly not the target demographic.

#12 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 April 2016 - 04:12 PM

View PostTriordinant, on 21 April 2016 - 03:15 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 KHETTI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationIn transit to 1 of 4 possible planets

Posted 21 April 2016 - 04:15 PM

Out of all the games you could play instead of MWO, you choose Overwatch! why?
I don't get the hype for this game, and it reminds me of the hype for games like Titanfall, in 6 months no one will remember or care about said game.

#14 ChewBaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 264 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 04:37 PM

Did you enjoy TF2? Do you like playing MOBAs like DOTA, LoL, and HoTs? If you did, than Overwatch is definitely for you.

I tried the closed beta. I think its an interesting blend of FPS and MOBA. Its not just about shooting and weapons as each hero's unique skills are important and will be used often. Aside from that, its obvious that the FPS gameplay and mechanics borrows heavily from TF2.

Yeah yeah, some might say its a hodge-podge of character tropes gathered from across various fictional universes. Whatever. They still have more personality than giant robots which really start to feel same-ish quite quickly no matter how many new mechs are added.

Wherever they might have been 'copied' from, Blizzard did a good job making each hero unique and play differently from each other. It does need some balancing and tweaking but that's what beta is about.

If you neither enjoyed TF2 nor any of the MOBAs, than you are definitely not the target audience for Overwatch and should stick to MWO.

#15 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 04:38 PM

View PostWeyen, on 21 April 2016 - 03:43 PM, said:

The gameplay is really different from MWO though, to the point where I'm really hesitant to compare them at all. They're both first person multiplayer objective based games is about the only point they have in common.

Blizzard is doing something different? I have no idea what this Overwatch game is but I doubt it's the first to use females in scantily clad clothing to sell copies.

Had to google it...looks like an anime styled FPS?

#16 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,341 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 21 April 2016 - 04:45 PM

I played overwatch when it was TF2... didn't like it.

I'm sticking to MWO.

#17 ChewBaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 264 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 05:47 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 21 April 2016 - 03:33 PM, said:

That game looks sooo lame, I don't even.

In my humble opinion, it's like they took the most juvenile, mainstream, cliché elements of all the nerdiest franchises on the market, from World of Warcraft, Dota, Star Wars Old Republic, Mass Effect, Naruto and Guardians of the Galaxy and just grinded it all into some easily digestible purée for the 12-16 year olds.

I often wonder where these sort of remarks and biases come from.

Some of the most popular heroes being selected in Overwatch are not at all sexy unless you are turned on by deformed mutants or a big fat human with a potbelly.

Posted Image
Do you find me sexy, baby?

Widowmaker is reasonably popular because she a sniper, but its not like you can stare down at her boobs while you are playing as her. And its not like the other team will spend time ogling at your character instead of fragging it on sight. No one cares how 'sexy' a character is in-game. You still get fragged like everyone else.

Heroes get picked for their utility and team balance. If there's anyone who is picking a hero based on how sexy the model is, they're definitely a distinct minority.

I've seen dumber builds more often in MWO than I have seen stupid hero selections in Overwatch so far, but I've only had a short experience in closed beta. I have yet to see a team pick Widowmaker entirely just so they can scope at each other's boobs and butts.

#18 Axeface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 655 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 05:53 PM

I'm with alistair winter on this one (apart from the bit about 'sexy'), I think that overwatch could be used as a dictionary definition for 'Kitsch'.

#19 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:17 PM

I parted ways with Blizzard products when they slashed their customer support quality after years of subscribing to WoW. The only reason I played D3 was my brother gave it to me for free and I got $500 selling stuff on their real money auction house while it was still a thing. I don't really have any strong urge to play Overwatch, especially with the cost. I'd much rather buy a Clops pack later when I free up some cash. Posted Image

#20 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:26 PM

Well Overwatch is being developed by Blizzard so chances are very likely that the gameplay will actually be pretty good, mostly balanced and they actually will put man hours into developing the gameplay out on top of giving you boobs to look at.

MWo will still be the same game you've logged into since you joined until they shut down the servers + no boobs.

There is also the fact that simply because it is a Blizzard game there will be a lot of population to play with so you won't have to deal with us old fogeys (though that's pretty much the only reason I still play this game).
--
My vote is that you go have a good time playing Overwatch and if you ever get bored come drop into MWo. The game will be the same, and the players will only be more senile.

Edited by sycocys, 21 April 2016 - 07:26 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users