Gameplay Weapons Balance

1 reply to this topic

#1 TerrasFallen

Rookie

• Moderate Giver
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:03 PM

MWO Thoughts: Musings of a possible moron

Missile tracking: Missile tracking is something I have seen numerous people talk about but no one seems to have a good solution to. I don’t claim to have a be all end all myself, but a thought did occur to me. The standard LRM, as we all know, functions as a lobbed artillery weapon. Some people have no issue with this, others claim it needs better tracking or speed, and yet more see LRMs and yell something along the lines of “OMG TEH NUBS WEP WHY HE SO STUPIDS!?”. I am one of those people that fall into the second category but unlike a few I have spoken to about it I don’t think it should be an all-powerful, terrain tracking, no escape beast of a weapon system; at least by default. I prefer the approach of taking LRMs and another lesser used system and seeing if I can’t put them together to make something new and interesting. My thoughts on the following:

Command Console (IS): When linked with an LRM system the command console provides a flatter trajectory toward the locked target and terrain following up to 33% percent of the LRM’s maximum range. (Possibly OP for a one-ton system and open to suggestion) When linked with an artemis system the command console provides an additional decrease to LRM spread when fired from inside the 33% range window. Additionally, if a second battlemech with a mounted command console has the same enemy targeted and is within 333 meters of that target your LRMs will gain terrain following against the targeted enemy as if the missiles had been fired by that battlemech.

Targeting Computer (C): When linked with an LRM system the Targeting Computer mark 1-5 provides a flatter trajectory towards the locked target and terrain following in 20% range increments up to the LRM’s maximum range. The targeting computer mark 6 and 7 provide the same benefits as the mark 5 with the addition of tighter group (Possibly OP and open to suggestion) and increase projectile speed.

Are the differences in the systems’ ability good counter balance to each other? Should they extend to the real of SRMs both standard for spread and streak for tracking? Am I a doofus fully deserving of the fury of three midgets on a unicycle? I know this does nothing to address damage or the tag system but I kind of wanted to see what people thought of this first. Please respond with serious critic of these possibilities and remember this is not a suggestion for the be all end all of LRM tracking but a “what do you think if”.

After Thought: I thought I should note that the terrain tracking I am talking about would include the missiles being able pop up and dive on targets behind some types of cover. So if you were behind a shorter flat sided building the missiles which would normally impact about an inch shy of clearing the building would basically hope that edge and hit. However if you were behind an outcropping of rock that had an overhang or a taller building they would still not hit you.

#2 Gamuray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 866 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:52 PM

I don't think either is OP at all actually. Especially since the command console is 3 tons, not 1 ton. And the Targeting Computer certainly isn't OP either, as it only gets tighter grouping at the 6-7 ton mark. I would suggest not limiting lrm's to a flatter trajectory as a buff though. Maybe make them have a flatter trajectory when dumbfired, but increased curvature when locked with CC, TC, etc.

Terrain tracking may be nice, especially with the whole "only up to 1/3 range" idea. Then it's not "I can't get away or counter attack" because you're in brawling range at that point.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users