• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 26 April 2016 - 01:35 PM

View PostPFC Carsten, on 26 April 2016 - 01:02 PM, said:

Why does the water on existing MWO maps not do that? Instead, you plow through it at full speed, while being slowed down by tiny pebbles in your way or a 5° incline in terrain.

Back in previous MW titles, you were slowed by water. The deeper you went, the Better heat dissipation you got from it.

View PostD V Devnull, on 26 April 2016 - 01:34 PM, said:

Have you also noticed the Water elements don't have the serious cooling effect of "MechWarrior 3" either? PGI decided to let people have speed over cooling in deep water locations. It would have been fun to see a Mech slowing down, but able to let off more Alphas, but I'm certain that will likely be something we never see. Posted Image

~D. V. "There's your answer... enjoy." Devnull

Ninja'd me Posted Image

#22 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 26 April 2016 - 01:49 PM

I really love the jump jets on this thing too. In the torso and on the legs :)

#23 PFC Carsten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 26 April 2016 - 01:49 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 26 April 2016 - 01:35 PM, said:

Back in previous MW titles, you were slowed by water. The deeper you went, the Better heat dissipation you got from it.

But not in MWO. Even though Cryengine should be easily adjustable for physics properties of the environment.

#24 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 26 April 2016 - 02:01 PM

View PostDomenoth, on 26 April 2016 - 12:41 PM, said:

It's not the only tonnage that's missing. We still need the Firemoth...

Fire Moth, yes yes!

#25 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 26 April 2016 - 02:10 PM

View PostOdanan, on 26 April 2016 - 09:41 AM, said:

Kingfisher mentioned? Cool! (I'm still hopping the ultimate Clan zombie will be in the game)

EDIT: Dwillt Radick? Nice to see more canonical pilots.

PS: I'm very curious about how the "hero" omniparts will be managed in the mech lab. Hero omnimechs open a lot of possibilities.

Lets not forget a Shark mention as well :D

#26 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 26 April 2016 - 02:12 PM

I have been laughing since Closed Beta about how a 25 ton Commando can run into head-deep water at 90 MPH and not slow down or stumble even one tiny amount.

However, water blocks missiles. Hehheh.

#27 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 26 April 2016 - 02:58 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 26 April 2016 - 02:12 PM, said:

However, water blocks missiles. Hehheh.

Wait... what? I don't think I've seen this? :blink:

~D. V. "Uhm, confused here?" Devnull

#28 TELEFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 03:06 PM

The Viper looks good overall, but I really, REALLY HATE that the arms are no longer asymmetrical. To me, that's like modeling the Summoner or Kit Fox with symmetrical arms, which have been a key element in each 'mech design for over 20 years. I'm really disappointed that Alex's design deviated that much :(

Per official BattleTech 3D omnimech renders:

Posted Image

#29 -Skyrider-

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 157 posts
  • Locationall about that Seattle life

Posted 26 April 2016 - 03:20 PM

Remember when talking about the kingfisher having a standard engine, that isn't actually a bad thing for clans. If you guys forgot if you have a clan xl and lose a side torso, you also lose some speed as well as heat efficiency. So the kingfisher would be able to work around this making more unique than other clan mechs, and the kingfisher is already a great zombie mech too.

#30 Luscious Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 26 April 2016 - 03:28 PM

View PostD V Devnull, on 26 April 2016 - 01:34 PM, said:

Have you also noticed the Water elements don't have the serious cooling effect of "MechWarrior 3" either? PGI decided to let people have speed over cooling in deep water locations. It would have been fun to see a Mech slowing down, but able to let off more Alphas, but I'm certain that will likely be something we never see. Posted Image

~D. V. "There's your answer... enjoy." Devnull

Water only affects heat sinks in submerged areas (legs). Which generally means no heat sinks at all except occasionally +1-2 heat sink bonus on a Clan mech. Water is negligible since they can't implement deep water (it would obscure smaller lights entirely).

#31 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 26 April 2016 - 04:07 PM

View PostLuscious Dan, on 26 April 2016 - 03:28 PM, said:

<<<snip>>>

Water only affects heat sinks in submerged areas (legs). Which generally means no heat sinks at all except occasionally +1-2 heat sink bonus on a Clan mech. Water is negligible since they can't implement deep water (it would obscure smaller lights entirely).

I'm surprised they don't take the "MechWarrior 3" approach, and enable lesser Heat Dissipation while in water when you don't have Heat Sinks down there. Basically, more than it is now, but far more with Heat Sinks down there. :mellow:

As for obscuring smaller light mechs, "MechWarrior 3" had that going on a bit with really deep water, but it made for interesting gameplay. :)

~D. V. "It sure would have made a nice touch." Devnull

#32 Cranky Puppy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 114 posts
  • LocationHarem of French Poodles

Posted 26 April 2016 - 04:29 PM

Sorry PGI not going to buy it as many of my friends are not going to buy it either.

It is 40 Tons, for $40.00 US Dollars and a medium mech....for the collection package.

I am however considering buying the 90 TON CYCLOPS for the same price of $40.00 for the collection package. The Cyclops is an ASSAULT MECH which looks more inline for what I and my other friends that I talked with are interested in purchasing.

$40.00 for Viper at 40 tons vs $40.00 for the Cyclops at 90 TONS

This is an easy decision!!!

Edited by Cranky Puppy, 26 April 2016 - 04:30 PM.

#33 Glaive-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 951 posts
  • LocationIn a cave

Posted 26 April 2016 - 05:15 PM

View PostCranky Puppy, on 26 April 2016 - 04:29 PM, said:

Sorry PGI not going to buy it as many of my friends are not going to buy it either.

It is 40 Tons, for $40.00 US Dollars and a medium mech....for the collection package.

I am however considering buying the 90 TON CYCLOPS for the same price of $40.00 for the collection package. The Cyclops is an ASSAULT MECH which looks more inline for what I and my other friends that I talked with are interested in purchasing.

I dunno man, as a medium mech pilot, I'd sooner spend some cash on the Viper than the Cyclops. The value is as much decided by the buyer as it is the product. (I think I worded that baddly but you get what I'm saying, right?)

Edited by armyunit, 26 April 2016 - 05:16 PM.

#34 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 05:41 PM

So you buy your Mechs based on price per pound?

#35 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 26 April 2016 - 06:23 PM

View PostRampage, on 26 April 2016 - 05:41 PM, said:

So you buy your Mechs based on price per pound?

PGI prices Mechs roughtly on a per-ton basis in the game store (with adjustments based on equipment) so the Cyclops and Kodiak are much better deals than the PH.

Sure, some people say it's the buyer's desires that determine worth and value. There are people who like their Geo Metros, too, because they have more character than a new BMW. But, if you price them the same, it's hard to say that the Geo is a better value.

#36 EvangelX

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 38 posts
  • LocationAU

Posted 26 April 2016 - 06:39 PM

View PostEdmar Fecler, on 26 April 2016 - 10:35 AM, said:

Is it just me, or does the viper look like a Raven on steroids that's grown a pair of arms?

No apparently there are a lot of people who cant see the difference too....

I lke it, the fact that it has a long nose ~ Woop dee do ~ the shape is very different to to Raven. Gives it a Viper/snake like apperance. Well done o7

#37 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:09 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 26 April 2016 - 06:23 PM, said:

Sure, some people say it's the buyer's desires that determine worth and value. There are people who like their Geo Metros, too, because they have more character than a new BMW. But, if you price them the same, it's hard to say that the Geo is a better value.

Poor example IMO. The Viper is more like a Honda S2000 and to the Cyclops BMW.

I will take the quick, nimble little sports car thank you.

#38 Axeface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 655 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:59 PM

I think this mech is going to be one of the best looking we've seen. I'de get it but I've spent enough on this game for now.

#39 Kosheus

• Pip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 14 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:04 PM

If you mean ingame store value then take into account XL320 engine on Viper and 360 standard on Cyclops. Nova or almost any other clan XL medium cost more cbill than Atlas...

#40 DefyingReality

• PipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:14 PM

So... if your playstyle preference is for assault mechs and not medium mechs, just don't buy the medium mech packages. No one is forcing you to buy them. No one's forcing you to buy the collector's version on any given sale either. There's a standard package at half the price.

I didn't buy the Viper preorder because I'm not convinced the mech suits me as a player. Maybe I'll pick it up later for c-bills if I feel differently once it's out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users