Coming Back From A Long Break

22 replies to this topic

#1 Van Hoven

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 141 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 12:53 PM

Hey there, I havnt played this game since the implementation of ghost heat and recently I've thought hey, why not give it a try again.

I sold all my old mechs and equipment and now have around 54 million cbills lying around.

I would like to get into clan mechs. Any advices which chassis to pick up?

Thanks in advance

#2 Neutron IX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts
  • Location"Soylent Green. It's what's for dinner."

Posted 26 April 2016 - 01:04 PM

Just got back from a bit of a break myself, but I'm of the opinion you want to start with the best ratio of cost:ability to farm more c-bills, to assist with your long term ability to sustain your empire.

I don't know Clan mechs as well as IS, but my gut says Arctic Cheetah, if you've any capacity for Light mechs, since they'll cost less than most of the other top tier Clan mechs, but represent decent earning potential if you can get the hang of them.

No idea, honestly, what the current Clan meta is though.

This is a useful site, though I'd still say use it more as a learning tool, than as a hard "rule" for what you should or shouldn't do.

http://metamechs.com/

#3 Van Hoven

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 141 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 01:08 PM

Thanks :) Well, I've informed myself a bit about clanmechs, but from what I have picked up a lot is about to change again in this game.

Maybe a good idea to start off with something cheaper and not spend it all at once to end up with subpar mechs.

I never was the Light Mech kind of guy sadly but I really like the look of the Hunchback 2C. I had quite a lot of success with the Blackjack series back then. So... Clan 2c mechs are freely customisable, right?

#4 Neutron IX

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 01:10 PM

View PostVan Hovern, on 26 April 2016 - 01:08 PM, said:

Thanks Posted Image Well, I've informed myself a bit about clanmechs, but from what I have picked up a lot is about to change again in this game.

Maybe a good idea to start off with something cheaper and not spend it all at once to end up with subpar mechs.

I never was the Light Mech kind of guy sadly but I really like the look of the Hunchback 2C. I had quite a lot of success with the Blackjack series back then. So... Clan 2c mechs are freely customisable, right?

Indeed. Same idea as an IS mech, but with Clan tech, and at the expense of being as customizable as an Omni.

#5 Van Hoven

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 141 posts

Uh and another questions. CUac seem to have this bullet stream, making them more of a kind-a-laser weapon. Whats with the Cac? Do they work like the is? I immensly enjoyed my 3 ac5 jaeger, too :)

#6 Neutron IX

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts

Also, probably a solid back-up choice for the cost:earning potential thing.

Won't put you out as much as the Stormcrows will.

#7 Neutron IX

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 01:14 PM

You know, I'm not 100% sure on the mechanics of Clan ACs.

I know, for example, that they work differently than IS ACs, but get a little shaky on the actual differences. I'm sure other players will have a better handle on it though.

#8 Van Hoven

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 141 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 01:14 PM

Hu, just taking a look, the HBK 2C costs about as much as the cheeta. Well, or just go for 3 TW variants. Jeez, its not easy to spend a lot of money Posted Image on the other hand, 2 HBKs will cost about as much as 1 TW... very roughly. Oh HMMMM

Edited by Van Hovern, 26 April 2016 - 01:15 PM.

#9 Neutron IX

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 01:17 PM

View PostVan Hovern, on 26 April 2016 - 01:14 PM, said:

Hu, just taking a look, the HBK 2C costs about as much as the cheeta. Well, or just go for 3 TW variants. Jeez, its not easy to spend a lot of money Posted Image on the other hand, 2 HBKs will cost about as much as 1 TW... very roughly. Oh HMMMM

The upside of the Omnis is, while they're rather expensive up front, the back-end cost to trick them out is quite a bit less, since so much of their gear is fixed hardpoints, and they have so many upgrades already.

I would be sure that whatever you buy, you can afford to buy 3 of them to level if possible, otherwise you get stuck at the cap.

#10 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 27 April 2016 - 12:08 AM

View PostVan Hovern, on 26 April 2016 - 01:10 PM, said:

Uh and another questions. CUac seem to have this bullet stream, making them more of a kind-a-laser weapon. Whats with the Cac? Do they work like the is? I immensly enjoyed my 3 ac5 jaeger, too Posted Image

Clan UACs and ACs both fire a stream of shells, 1 shell for an (U)AC2, 2 shells for an (U)AC5, 3 shells for a (U)AC10, 4 shells for a (U)AC20.

Regular Clan autocannon are more expensive and take up more shots than the Clan UACs, they were put in as placeholders for alternate ammo types for the Clan LBX Autocannons. the only advantage is that they cannot jam, if you "double tap" an Ultra autocannon by tapping fire again before it has finished reloading you can fire another shot at a risk of jamming the gun for something like 10 seconds, but if you hold down fire it will not double tap. the only time it is worth concidering taking Clan ACs if if you prefer to tap fire rather than hold down but do not want to ever jam if you mistime the tap.

#11 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 12:43 AM

Also, what weight class were you interested in?

#12 Van Hoven

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 141 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 05:41 AM

Thanks for the clarifiation on the AC UAC difference. Sooo... basically the same as with the IS, just with bullet streaming. Man, I don't like that stream Posted Image

Well, I'm interested in starting a clan mech roster from the getgo, want to play faction warfrare, too. So it'd be good not to waste money on a mech that isnt usable in this format. Light mechs are the only I dont really enjoy playing. Above 120mph or sth my aim and situational awareness gets off.

After playing some rounds in the Trial mechs I have to say a lot has changed for the better. Good Trial Mech builds is only one thing Posted Image

Edited by Van Hovern, 27 April 2016 - 05:43 AM.

#13 WildVector

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 06:17 AM

I'd tell you to check both Ebon Jaguar and Timber Wolf.

Both are a more versatile platform that out-performs even some assaults in the clan wars.

With Clans is very hard to go wrong in my opinion, but the Hunchbacks 2C series, despite fun, are more for pug drops or even Intelligence warfare (the new clan war variant).

Considering your intent seems to be the clan 12 man, I repeat myself, Ebon and Timber over-perform the other medium and assault choices and they aren't as expensive to retrofit.

#14 Van Hoven

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 141 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 06:23 AM

I've went with 3 Timbers now, couldnt hold back anymore. Is a lot of fun with either 2 UAC 10s or 4 Srm6s with laser back up. A question about that: Is artemis a good investion for csrm6s?

My money is away for now, but after eliting the timbers i should have saved up enough cbills for a med mech of my liking.

Oh, and thanks for the replys

Also I've heard the clan drop deck consists of 250 tons. What about 2 Timbers and 2 Hunchies 2cs? The Hunchbacks seem really powerful... Their hunches could hold them back though. Or better to go for 3 timbers and a 25 tonner? A well... have a lot to do before this decision gets urgent i guess.

#15 thraSK 100

Rookie

• The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 06:27 AM

I wish you all of the best wishes

#16 Van Hoven

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 141 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 06:34 AM

#17 iLLcapitan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 654 posts
  • LocationBirdhouse

Posted 27 April 2016 - 06:42 AM

Hunchie 2C is soo much fun to play and each variant performs well in its designated field (missiles, ballistics, laser)

#18 John1352

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 27 April 2016 - 06:53 AM

For faction play, you could stick in your 3 timberwolves and the trial mist lynx and have a decent dropdeck right now.

As for Artemis on the SRM 6s, it depends how it fits with your other weapons. It certainly helps the SRM effectiveness. Also it costs a bit to switch it on, so choose one variant to use it on.

#19 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 07:01 AM

Yikes ya sold everything?? errmm ok.. with 54m i would either buy..

Timber wolf's,

Pretty great all around mech, Has good armor and lots of load outs, can play short, medium, and long ranged, though one might argue it is not the best short ranger, But qaud SRM's with some lasers can wreak stuff pretty good. at about 15 a pop, you can just pick up the 3 you need to master them for about 45m

The other option, as they are solid mechs, and has an ECM omni-pod.

Hellbringer

They also can run many different load outs like timbers, they can use all weapons, like UAC's in the arms, or carry 3 launchers, and a bunch of energy boat load outs. Basically it's kinda timber light, with ECM. 3 will come in at about 40m.

Lastly, if you have the GXP i would unlock seismic sensor module, and pick one up for 6m, and stuff it in which ever mech you are leveling at the time. Save the rest of your money for buying weapons, to try other load outs as you level.. By the time you master those you should have made 20-30m i would think.

BTW, they added a tutorial, play that and earn yourself 4.5m? i think.. doesn't take to long, 30mins, maybe an hour is ya mess around? worth doing.

Then get back into playing, making credits, and learning the game how it plays today. Ghost heat is really not an issue once you understand it.. but just FYI, there is suppose to be a whole new heat scale, weapons thing coming in the future, the info is vague at best. It has been mentioned it is a new system that is suppose to help curb the alpha strike meta

#20 Van Hoven

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 141 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 10:10 AM

Well, Ive got enough IS action, and well, my Highlanders, Jaegers, Atlas', Stalkers and Victors seemes outdated. Kept the bad quirked variants Posted Image

Always wanted to try the clans, so I thought to myself, hey, why not sell all the stuff Posted Image And after ~3 years of not playing a complete start over with some cash in the bank sounded good to me!

Edited by Van Hovern, 27 April 2016 - 10:24 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users